• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why even Play Samus when Mii Gunner Exists?

Mardemonneko

Smash Rookie
I am not making this as a troll, not making this as someone being sarcastic. I am genuinely confused as to why you would ever pick samus/dark samus over mii gunner.
Let's leave iconography out of the discussion, and purely debate on their movesets in the game.

Mii Gunner has so many options over Samus. I can't list them all from memory easily, but I'll do my best:
  1. Jab Links properly in most instances.
  2. Fair (while not the samus multi-hit one) is a forward hitting projectile that also pushes you back slightly, or farther if you please. This gives it a lot more utility than samus'.
  3. Grab is faster than the tether one samus has, but has shorter range. It is less open to punishes, and has true combos from grabs.
  4. Forward smash has more uses than samus', multi hit that can snag people rolling, absurd disjoint, and can cover multiple options at the ledge.
  5. Multiple specials to choose from depending on wants/needs. Let me go through each in order (Keep in mind I don't know every trick, but I am confident I know 70% of them.):
    (A) The Default Specials:
    ( Charge Shot )
    Powerful, and has a guaranteed confirm with flame pillar, securing kills even to higher percents.
    ( Laser Blaze )
    Like Falco's laser, but has more damage, no drop off, good for poking and denying charging moves.
    ( Grenade Launch )
    Arcing grenade spit from your cannon that can true combo into moves, such as up smash. Good offstage pressure, and ledge trapping tool too.
    (B) The Side Specials:
    ( Flame Pillar )
    True Combos into a charge shot as stated before, and is a pretty good ledge trap.
    ( Stealth Burst )
    Does one job and does it well: Killing. Use it to snag kills from anywhere.
    ( Gunner Missile )
    Do you like Samus' Missiles? How about more powerful ones that you can also shoot two super missiles out at once that can also KILL and do more damage? It's almost entirely a flat upgrade to Samus' missiles. Does everything samus's missile do and better, only the homing qualities are really worse when compared to Samus'
    (C) The Up Specials:
    ( Lunar Launch )
    Fantastic Recovery, it's vertical reach is absurd and allows you to get away with many offstage shenanigans. I recommend using this move over any other recovery option. It also spits out a projectile under the gunner that explodes on contact to the ground.
    ( Cannon Jump Kick )
    It spikes, it goes up an okay amount, it kills at higher percents on stage, can hit into both parts of the move to deal massive damage, and it is a strong out of shield option. I don't recommend using this move unless you know you can not put yourself in the situation to need a better recovery option, since it's your ONLY option.
    ( ARM ROCKET )
    This move is not actually as bad you might think. It may not have a hitbox or go as var vertically as lunar launch, but it has a stronger horizontal range to the recovery, and it's landing lag is absurdly low. I'm talking in the single digits under 7 low.
    (D) The Down Specials:
    ( Echo Reflector )
    Decent basic reflector, zap initial hitbox to knock people out of the way, and can be used to stall your fall to save your ass from attacks below on rare occasion.
    ( Bomb Drop )
    This move is ABSURD. Blocks projectiles, is spammable from a hop, possibly can combo into stuff, does decent damage and can kill at high enough percents, doinks opponents who let it touch them, this move is so good. It makes me genuinely consider giving up defensive options for it.
    ( Absorbing Vortex )
    Uh... It heals you when you bring it up against energy projectiles? It also increases your recovery distance by increasing the height of your jump? Has a poke box? I don't use this move really often, sorry.
  6. Why use samus over having all of this? Genuine question. Please give me insight.

Mardemonneko

Smash Rookie
I just like how samus's fair is. Also, I prefer her down special over mii-gunner's because it can be used to attack, and to recover from offstage.
But... mii gunner's bomb drop is an attack, spits out at a more usable angle. The recover thing is fair enough.

NintendoParty

Smash Cadet
Samus's fair, dair, and bair are better. Her Charge Shot is bigger and stronger (I think). Her down b also allows her to land back on stage more reliably, plugging a major hole in gunner's game. I'm not saying Samus is better (she may or may not be), but I think she has major advantages over gunner and vice versa.

Mardemonneko

Smash Rookie
Samus's fair, dair, and bair are better. Her Charge Shot is bigger and stronger (I think). Her down b also allows her to land back on stage more reliably, plugging a major hole in gunner's game. I'm not saying Samus is better (she may or may not be), but I think she has major advantages over gunner and vice versa.
The fair is debatable, but once again. You will get a lot more use out of gunner's fair due to it simply being a spammable projectile..

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Because Samus is cooler than the Miii Gunner. I would rather play as her than a random mii.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Mii Gunner is better but not way better. Samus has a few gimmicks of her own, being that up B out of shield, down B to escape combos, and higher ground speed, much higher air speed and slightly higher weight. Overall I think Mii Gunner is better, but not by too much.

Vistra31

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vistra9000
3DS FC
4038-6222-6181
Switch FC
SW-2087-0604-7226
This needed to be said and I firmly approve. Also up air is super useful. You can cover high recoveries, Snake's recovery on stages like Battlefield, it's a good kill move if you can get the last hit to land and it's a slightly weaker forward smash that you can change the horizontal position of.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how Fair is better but samus's bair/dair are better. Their charge shots are exactly the same, except samus's does 2% more (they do the same knockback and KO at the same percent, and have the same hitbox.) Its just mii gunner has a more reliable combo into it (Flame Pillar, or Bomb drop).
Mii Bomb is a more aggressive option compared to the defensive Samus Bomb, but Mii gunner's bomb drop lasts hella longer, and can be remotely activated. Mii Bomb drop denies aggressive ground approaches, and stage control while Samus Bomb does cross-up setups and covers. Both do kill confirms. Id say they do different things of equal importance. Mii bomb may have more endlag but you really can't punish it without shooting her from a distance the bomb triggering usually cancels the punish and hits them back.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Mii Gunner is better but not way better. Samus has a few gimmicks of her own, being that up B out of shield, down B to escape combos, and higher ground speed, much higher air speed and slightly higher weight. Overall I think Mii Gunner is better, but not by too much.
Mii gunner can do up-b out of shield and nair/Miishine/Vortex/bomb to escape combos. Actually cannon jump kick is one of the best OoS kill moves in the game. Airspeed aint an issue with gundashing

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because I am a Metroid fan and actually win a lot of matches with her.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Mii Gunner’s been nerfed Samus might be better now. But probably they’re now more similar in playing field since Samus received projectile nerfs too. Where are the swordie nerfs if projectiles get nerfed?

Last edited:

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Um the nerds aren't that bad as you might think
Mii Gunner’s been nerfed Samus might be better now. But probably they’re now more similar in playing field since Samus received projectile nerfs too. Where are the swordie nerfs if projectiles get nerfed?
The nerf isn't that bad if you use the standard 112X set, Becase decreased sheild damage doesn't impact gunner that much. Also Miissles have less endlag than Seamus's anyway, so mii gunner can bait out grabs using them better than Samus can. Comparing Mii Gunner to Samus is a difficult subject, as they play differently as zoners.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Samus is more of a Bait approaches and punish kind of zoner punishing with up-air strings and fair strings, and wrong approaches with charge shot. Mii Gunner is more of a push away and keep away kind of zoner, pushing them back with Fair, nair, all neutral/side specials, Bomb, and the occasional ftilt. Basically, Mii gunner plays more campy than Samus, and Samus is better at close range, But Mii Gunner is a lot better at camping than samus, even if they look like similar tools.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Her down b also allows her to land back on stage more reliably, plugging a major hole in gunner's game.
Arm Rocket moves fast and far, can be aimed down a bit, and has almost no landing lag making it a great tool for escaping juggles with. Thanks to it's travel speed, travel distance, and lack of significant landing lag this move can be used to safely get around the stage.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Gunner with Samus's tether grab would be broken. That grab is way better than Gunners in this game.
Gunner already has the best frame 6 grab in the game. It has almost as much range as pre patch Palutena's grab. Giving that up for Samus's grab would be a side grade. While having a long range poking tool that isn't a projectile and an extra recovery mixup would be nice, Gunner would have a weaker CQC game and killing ability due to fewer quick combo moves and a slower up throw up air confirm. While the zair could add some combos, most of those options are already possible with fair.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Fighting game characters are not just functions i mean would you prefer dragonfighters over smash?

Squall LeonHeart

Smash Ace
I just play Mii Gunner cause of the Doom Slayer costume lol. I got Cloud, Sephy, and the Slayer. I am pretty content with Ultimate now.

I think grenades are a better option for edgeguarding IMO. Plus against Villager I can't afford to have them pocket my charged shot and return it to sender lol.

Top Bottom