• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't people, even our leaders, tell us they have personal problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Player

Smash Apprentice
I've seen you play Smash online and read some things in the debate hall. Lets get down to the real reason for it.

Here's some things I've heard from other people.

"Why do you play Shiek over Fox, she's too weak?"

"We're in a tournament, why are you using Young Link?"

"You prefer your drink in a bar glass and not a plastic cup."

"Why don't you wear more dark/light colors?"

---

Anyone can have a personal problem. You, me, George Washington, Adolf Hitler, Jason Z, and legal human real person. The way you get over your personal problems is to turn them into professional ones. The reason why I play Shiek is because I asked my opponent what they wanted to see. I could have played Falco over Shiek but you asked for my main. I personally don't hate other characters. She has matchup advantages over others.

As far as Young Link I don't believe this 20 year old can beat me if they use Roy against me. It's a casual tournament and I don't bring out the big guns or this 'top tier'. Winning isn't everything. The color of clothing I'm wearing and how I drink stuff is irrelevant and doesn't get asked as much.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Real, non-gaming answer:

The people in power are often too paranoid to tell you things are wrong because if enough people figure that out, there goes their way of life. It's far easier to keep you subverted and make you BELIEVE they're decent people, than it is to actually be one.

Such is the nature of class conflict. If we want to change this, we must hold the people accountable and unfortunately this will only result in greater oppression from the state.

Last edited:

Marfae

Smash Rookie
breh why tf do random ppl have to know that i have stage 9 depression or smth

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Our leaders: Because politics is a cutthroat game and ANY weakness will be exploited.

Us: Well, for me, it's usually because I get the same generic answers every time I open up slightly.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It's rare. Showing weakness. Especially in America... Our school system teaches us at an early age to never wear your heart on your sleeve as the saying goes because herd mentality and bullying can ruin your life if it goes too far. But some people choose to open up as a means of relating to those who suffer from similar emotions or demons and as a way of leveling the gap between status.

This article shares a touching moment in one of America's most influential people's lives. She may not be an official in the strictest sense any more but she's still a good example of higher status citizens.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's not really a US thing.

It's a people thing.

Strength is inherently valued. Just look at the heroes of legend and the historical leaders who were beloved.

They were all strong in some way.

Admitting you have a problem is showing a potential weakness and many people see that as the opposite of strength. It isn't necessarily weak, but what matters is that enough people perceive it to be.

And this extends to the average person too. Like, do any of you want to date a wuss who can't take care of themselves? People who can't survive on their own are almost never considered attractive.

fruot

Smash Rookie
Depending on where you live, vulnerability is seen as weakness.
I, personally, have never really struggled with this, because I don't take myself too seriously...
But nobody wants a weak leader, so it makes sense that leaders would conceal this from their subordinates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom