• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't I find ultimate fun?

jJOEe

Smash Rookie
I liked all the other smash games I have played, but I find this one very irritating. A lot of stuff annoys me and I don't have fun playing with any of the characters. It feels so bad but I don't know why, and everyone else seems to like it. What am I missing.

D

Deleted member

I unfortunately dont have the advise to help you out that much. The best thing i can advise is trying out different characters until you find a click with a character you feel comfortable playing. What put me off of playing Ultimate was the lack of good single player content. What i also love about smash is the challenge board, the event matches, the Melee adventure mode, classic mode, all star mode, and the boss rush mode. Ultimate only has 3 of these things with all star mode being butchered, the challenges being incredibly short and simple, and classic having the cpu's not use the items that appear making it an incredibly one sided match. Having so little content in a game like smash can make it dull real quick imo.

Edit: i forgot to mention that if youre looking for your main/have found one the best way to get familiar with the character and the game is to go againts a level 1 cpu with a character you have an easy time against and practice the most simple combos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I dont know for sure about your situation but I know in most games when your not winning your not having fun. Perhaps like Blue Falcon suggest you just need a character that clicks with you, and you start wining more/thus enjoying more. Overcoming challenges is the fun part whether online or single experience. Some fun characters are younglink, mario, lucas, pikachu's for me.

GhostM

Phantom
Eh, that can happen sometimes. I know that this happened to me in brawl as well, as I know that the game isn’t my cup of tea, as the competitive side is too difficult for me to even bother to grasp at. In all honesty just try out different characters until you enjoy the feel of one, and keep playing them more until you feel like you could main the character. I also know that losing against opponents can be frustrating, so don’t feel down if you lose an online match against someone. Judging by what you’ve posted, it could mean that ultimate genuinely isn’t your game, as I know that brawl isn’t mine either.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
If you don't find a game fun then stop playing it. It's a real easy solution that doesn't need a thread.

Last edited:

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I liked all the other smash games I have played, but I find this one very irritating. A lot of stuff annoys me and I don't have fun playing with any of the characters. It feels so bad but I don't know why, and everyone else seems to like it. What am I missing.
Elaborate on what is bothering you. Is it the online modes, which have been widely criticized? Is it the game mechanics, which have been altered in the transition from Smash 4? Is it the color scheme? (Colors don't stand out as much as they did in Smash 4). Is it the fact that Final Smashes are no longer as long as they used to be?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You could just have bad taste, but yeah dont play something you dont like haha

UserKev

Smash Champion
The source is most likely because, Sakurai ultimately ended up catering to the competition scene. Eh. As if Ken couldn't made it more obvious. The whole "collect" aspect of Smash you miss has been replaced, definitely for right now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can probably state that while I was willing to get Smash Wii U on day 1, I never had that feeling with Ultimate. With Ultimate, it took away the things that I liked about Smash 3DS / Wii U, which include custom specials, Final Smash movesets, and even the 3DS exclusive Smash Run.

In terms of the Final Smashes, they were never meant to be used competitively, so it's baffling that the developers replaced a lot of the unique Final Smashes with Triforce Slash or Blue Falcon copycats. Heck, you can't even play as Giga Bowser without hacking the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can probably state that while I was willing to get Smash Wii U on day 1, I never had that feeling with Ultimate. With Ultimate, it took away the things that I liked about Smash 3DS / Wii U, which include custom specials, Final Smash movesets, and even the 3DS exclusive Smash Run.

In terms of the Final Smashes, they were never meant to be used competitively, so it's baffling that the developers replaced a lot of the unique Final Smashes with Triforce Slash or Blue Falcon copycats. Heck, you can't even play as Giga Bowser without hacking the game.
The changes to Final Smashes aren't aimed to make them competitive, it's just the "dodge the Landmaster for 15 seconds" and other tranformation based ones tended to not only break the pace of the game more than intended, but were also far more potent than other types in the right hands. Balancing is a thing even in casual environments.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The changes to Final Smashes aren't aimed to make them competitive, it's just the "dodge the Landmaster for 15 seconds" and other tranformation based ones tended to not only break the pace of the game more than intended, but were also far more potent than other types in the right hands. Balancing is a thing even in casual environments.
Ironically, the software updates that Smash 3DS / Wii U received hardly did anything for the Final Smashes (not even a timer decrease for the transformation Final Smashes). The only real notable change was to Dedede Burst, and it was one that made it flat out worthless; the first two hits deal so little knockback that most fighters can escape before the third hit is delivered.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ultimate get's old after awhile if you're playing by yourself with no friends or not playing with anybody online. It's really because of the lack of modes in this game with Home Run Contest, Break the Targets, Event Matches, and All Star Mode all being absence from the game at the moment. Ultimate isn't that fun of a game as a single player experience compared to the past Smash titles.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think this game is the most fun of the series on the core gameplay. This doesnt mean it is not disappointing. The lack of a proper campaign in detriment to have singleplayer modes that are just a bunch of quick battles with random properties gets worse at each new entry of the series. And the same happens with multiplayer, since online today is the biggest way to enjoy games and they keep using the "we wanna you to enjoy local gameplay primarily" bull****, that actually just makes people have less time of play cause it makes players that wanna play NOW to depend of having avaiable friends locally to enjoy the game in the full potential, and it happens only a few times for most of the people. Also, when anyone look to any other good online game and see a proper rank system and a live community, and can configure the online matches game and enjoy it to get better in a good way, you look at Smash and feel bad for not being able to enjoy it as it should. And the worse part is that the game is there, the gameplay is totally ready for that to happens to smash too, they just need MENUS and INTERFACE to organize the game that is already done! And this is super cheap in comparison to everything they already did for the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom