• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why doesn't anybody ever cheer for Puff players?

_Bandit_

Smash Rookie
I was rewatching the documentary yesterday and HBox said something about how he never gets cheered for, even by people from Florida. Last Saturday, I was at a MI tournament, and a puff player won and nobody was happy. Why does everyone hate to see puff players win?

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I can't speak for everybody else and I'm not putting my matchup into account here. I think some of the reasons why is mainly because of Jigglypuff's Forward air and Backair. If a Jigglypuff isn't doing that then there not playing jigglypuff right and some people do not enjoying seeing it done over and over again. While i say do what you gotta do to win. That's just the Audiences opinion.

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
I love seeing puff players win, but I can understand that a lot of people get frustrated watching the same techniques work over and over, like wall of pain or jab reset rest.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Just saying, every character can be broken down into stupidity...
nairshines + upsmashs
pillars + back airs
dashdance and nair and eventually a combo
outspacing and tippers...
While I personally don't cheer for anyone because of character choice, it is probably because of the relative slow pace and the easy tech skill

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Most characters in the game follow certain rules that people come to understand as fundamentals. Things like center-stage control, double jump management, gimping, even to a certain extent comboing work differently for puff than for most other characters.

At some level, all characters are widely different, but a lot of people have a hard time accepting that puff breaks many of the rules they believe to be integral to their understanding of the game.

I think not enough people understand puff as a character, so they don't even see the impressive things and outplays that happen. If you ever watch a commentated match with a puff player in it, I bet you the commentary is focused on the other character, because most people don't bother putting in the time to learn her.. at most only how to counter her

King5280

Smash Journeyman
I was at that tourney and I'm a puff main as well. He brings on a lot of dislike because of the way he plays the character. I didn't get cheered against at all during the tourney, to my knowledge,as a puff main and I got ninth. He just plays a very campy, defensive, and patient playstyle that rubs people the wrong way. Plus, a huge part of his game is based off camping the ledge every time he gets a lead. I play with him pretty frequently, we both live in lansing, and he can be extremely frustrating to play against. It is more his playstyle than puff, but the fact that it is puff certainly doesnt help. He plays melee like it's brawl in a lot of ways and it rubs people the wrong way. That being said, he is a really nice kid and a really good player that I have nothing but respect for, it's just that there are a lot of players that prefer the game to be played a different way.

_Bandit_

Smash Rookie
I was at that tourney and I'm a puff main as well. He brings on a lot of dislike because of the way he plays the character. I didn't get cheered against at all during the tourney, to my knowledge,as a puff main and I got ninth. He just plays a very campy, defensive, and patient playstyle that rubs people the wrong way. Plus, a huge part of his game is based off camping the ledge every time he gets a lead. I play with him pretty frequently, we both live in lansing, and he can be extremely frustrating to play against. It is more his playstyle than puff, but the fact that it is puff certainly doesnt help. He plays melee like it's brawl in a lot of ways and it rubs people the wrong way. That being said, he is a really nice kid and a really good player that I have nothing but respect for, it's just that there are a lot of players that prefer the game to be played a different way.
Dude Ray is so cool. He was in my pool and he was super nice to me.

Massive

Smash Champion
Puff players force the match to go at their pace because they cannot be combo'd in the same way as other characters. People don't like that, especially if the puff player chooses the pace of "slow".

This should come as no surprise to anyone, as it has been well established that maining puff means nobody will ever want to play you.

Last edited:

King5280

Smash Journeyman
You just have to alternate between puff and pocket characters in friendlies to keep them interested lol

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Cos the crowd is stupid.

People just assume puff is an easy-mode character that gives you free wins and get frustrated because she's not the usual steroid pumped c.falcon crap.

Birthday

Smash Rookie
It's not the most exciting character to watch and many perceive Puff as a one trick pony. Regardless, Puff mains don't play to please the crowd.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
As if anyone other than top players even have the ability to pick a different character and still play at the same level. Most players have but one main, and audience entertainment I bet has nothing to do with that selection

Last edited:

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
The easy answer is that the image of Puff has become skewed over the past couple of years. We've gone from the "low-tier" view people had of DBR|King and DA|KillaOR to hyper aggressive Mango to the more campy and spacing style of Hungrybox. We've gone from being hype to becoming defensive. Just watch TFC 2013 grand finals. I love Puff with all my heart but I wanted someone to put me out of my misery.

booty hunter

Smash Rookie
For most people, they probably don't enjoy watching certain playstyles. Others are just jealous that their main isn't as cute as Puff.

I personally hate watching Sheik. So boring.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Don't let em get to you. I bring my own Jigglypuff plushies and set them up on the TV, they're my moral support and root for me, if I'm in a pickle I look up at them and put my trust in them that in the name of Jigglypuff that I can win.

Doq

Smash Lord
When people stop cheering for me, I go Ganon. When they cheer for me again, I go Puff. It pisses the crowd off majorly, but I love it.

Top Bottom