• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does spamming Shadow ball work?

Ginsai

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8248-1982-9689
Hello everyone i have recently been picking up and practicing with Mewtwo. And I’ve played against people and I got to say so far spamming shadow ball on the ledge most of the time leads to a low recovery for an easy readable spike. I’m just curious why this just works it forces them to recover low or high giving you and advantage. Am i just playing against crappy people or does it actually work. Also what are some good options at the ledge for Mewtwo. I know fair is your kill option off stage as it deals the most Knockback for his aerials and comes out rather quick.

Last edited:

WoW Tarv

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3431 0382 0347
It has to do with basically cutting off the stretch of off-stage area directly from the edge. You’re eliminating options by doing so. Plus unless they’re recovery high (at which point there’s really no reason to spam SB) there’s a point where they have to cross that line of projectiles and hope they don’t get hit. So it’ll force them to go low if they’re too far off the stage which is easy enough for us to edgeguard.

Rising fair is incredible at the edge. I’ve found bair to be decent at walling out an opponent and someone suggested using Nair which I’m still working on implementing. Personally I prefer to time a fully charged SB as opposed to spamming it. It becomes a kill rather than a nuisance.

Ginsai

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8248-1982-9689
It has to do with basically cutting off the stretch of off-stage area directly from the edge. You’re eliminating options by doing so. Plus unless they’re recovery high (at which point there’s really no reason to spam SB) there’s a point where they have to cross that line of projectiles and hope they don’t get hit. So it’ll force them to go low if they’re too far off the stage which is easy enough for us to edgeguard.

Rising fair is incredible at the edge. I’ve found bair to be decent at walling out an opponent and someone suggested using Nair which I’m still working on implementing. Personally I prefer to time a fully charged SB as opposed to spamming it. It becomes a kill rather than a nuisance.
Yeah most of the time I do to, I just use this like you said to eliminate space and force an option. Charged shadow ball most of the time, but it’s good to mix it up every now and again.

Browny

Smash Hater
Its absolutely legitimate. Its called a frame trap. You throw the shadowball which the enemy is forced to airdodge if they already used their jump. They can't fair it to swat it away if its about half charged. You then run off and spike them out of their airdodge. Its a bit harder if they directional airdodge, but its still absolutely true if you react properly.

Top Bottom