• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Pichu is called strong ?

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a Pichu player, and I rarely fight it (I don't play online) but I fought him sometime and really, it doesn't seem strong to me. It's the lightest character in this game, it damages itself, it has no range ... The only thing it has is its meteor Samsh lightning.

Could you explain why does everybody calls it strong please ? I don't understand.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
The character itself is pretty fast, combos well, and it's electrical attacks do more damage and knockback than Pikachu's. Kinda a nice trade off with it's lightness and its self-damage mechanic.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I'm not a Pichu player, and I rarely fight it (I don't play online) but I fought him sometime and really, it doesn't seem strong to me. It's the lightest character in this game, it damages itself, it has no range ... The only thing it has is its meteor Samsh lightning.

Could you explain why does everybody calls it strong please ? I don't understand.
What exactly is the point of these posts? These all followed the same cookie cutter formula. Guy asks why people consider a character good, proceed to literally only list the flaws of the character, and don’t even try to think of his advantages.

Seriously dude? You can’t figure out that maybe him getting good results could have something to do with his blistering speed, attacks that come out in 3 frames, hitbox so small that makes him incredibly hard to hit, extreme power on tilts and smashes, etc? You only saw his weaknesses? Huh.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is the point of these posts? These all followed the same cookie cutter formula. Guy asks why people consider a character good, proceed to literally only list the flaws of the character, and don’t even try to think of his advantages.

Seriously dude? You can’t figure out that maybe him getting good results could have something to do with his blistering speed, attacks that come out in 3 frames, hitbox so small that makes him incredibly hard to hit, extreme power on tilts and smashes, etc? You only saw his weaknesses? Huh.
Dude, I didn't mean to make fun of Pichu ! I just don't know what makes it strong ! That's all. Calm down man ! And I listed one advantage he has.

Monollock

Smash Rookie
Other than being outranged pretty much everything that little rat does is safe. His F tilt kills and is needlessly safe, he can spam all day. He's really fast, he's really small, he's got the best recovery in the game or at the very least is up there. His spike as very little lag meaning he can go for a few before needing to recover. I hate Pichu so very much. I'd never endorse beating the **** out of a child or an animal but with Pichu, I might actually make an exception.

Prefecture

Smash Rookie
Other than being outranged pretty much everything that little rat does is safe. His F tilt kills and is needlessly safe, he can spam all day. He's really fast, he's really small, he's got the best recovery in the game or at the very least is up there.
I'm failing to understand why is it that you continue to incorrectly use the word "safe"

I'm almost certain that every attack outside of FFN-Air/Rising U-Air can be shield-grabbed or jabbed.

If you're being poked by retreating aerials then that is a personal error as Pichu isn't alone in being able to perform this.

All of his smash attacks can be capitalized on and both his Down Smash/Forward Smash lose 99% of the time on Trades.
(There is a mild exception for potential ledge shenanigans)

His range is so poor that if you actually find yourself constantly being F-tilted/N-aired then you either have subpar spacing or poor reflexes.
(Or the off-chance that your character is horrible in the matchup)

If Pichu isn't positioning a few of his attacks as a wall then an agile opponent can sometimes slip right out of his B-air/FSmash.
(This makes "safe" application of B-air/FSmash feel 1-Dimensional.)

He dies far too early and gets outspaced a bit too easily to have such janky multi-hitting attacks.

His Up-B does not deal any damage and can be walled by almost any type of lingering hitbox.
So while it will never be considered the best recovery, it is definitely good for what it does in the right hands -- which is force the opponent to guess.

His D-air is incredible off stage and it nails most characters as if he's Melee's Falco, so I do agree there.
He would almost be guaranteed a loss to counter-aggressive players or zoners if not for the constant threat of Pichu being able to gimp players who botch their recovery.
(Although, some characters simply have bad ones and will struggle.)

Top Bottom