• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Isabelle's Fishing Rod only sometimes grab on the way back?!

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
Hello, new Isabelle player here.
In general, I love her toolkit way more than Villager's, but can somebody out there please explain to me why Fishing Rod doesn't always have a grabbox when she reels in? From my experience, the hook will always catch the opponent on the way back if it's still "bouncing" from the initial send out, but if it's completely stationary, it seems to be entirely random. I even tried angling the rod (which appears to be functionally useless, correct me if I'm wrong) before reeling back in, but the results remained the same as far as I could tell. Is there something I'm missing here?

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
in the 3.0 patch there was a potentially unintentional change where if the hook touches any hard surface the active hitbox deactivates until you throw it out again. It feels like a bug cause it's not in the patch notes but it's hard to tell.

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
in the 3.0 patch there was a potentially unintentional change where if the hook touches any hard surface the active hitbox deactivates until you throw it out again. It feels like a bug cause it's not in the patch notes but it's hard to tell.
Whoa, really? That's very unfortunate and I can only hope they patch it back in because being able to grab on the way back was like half of the reason to use the move in the first place. In any case, thank you for explaining that to me.

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
Doesn’t sound like they’re gonna fix that since they gave it a buff to compensate-being a constant grab box in midair now. (Not the buff I’d want but ok).Even if it’s utility has been reduced, at least it’ll consistently two frame people! that’s something at least, right

According to the isacord the exact change to the frame it’s active on is 2-11 to now 10-11 on the reel back after it’s touched the ground

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
is there any difference between her side B, pre 3.0.0 and post 3.1.0? or did they just completely revert it back to what it was pre-patch?

Top Bottom