• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does everyone hate Falcon?

Crynomite

Smash Rookie
I seriously don't understand. His u-air is worse but feels so much better, as well as his Knee but he has a few good combos. And I know because dash dancing is so easy to do now people don't like him but is that a reason to quit playing him completely. And everyone complains about how his d-throw u-air combo at 0 is gone but now he has a n-air combo that can carry people across stage I just don't get why sooooo many people dropped him it makes me so sad. ;(

Why_wobble

Smash Rookie
I seriously don't understand. His u-air is worse but feels so much better, as well as his Knee but he has a few good combos. And I know because dash dancing is so easy to do now people don't like him but is that a reason to quit playing him completely. And everyone complains about how his d-throw u-air combo at 0 is gone but now he has a n-air combo that can carry people across stage I just don't get why sooooo many people dropped him it makes me so sad. ;(
I think most of his player base came from melee or pm with a lot of hype for our favorite racer and were disappointed by his reincarnation and found him lacking in everything that defined him flash combos and brutal punish while I think he's ok in ultimate I'm not maining him

falconstar

Smash Rookie
I am personally dropping C.Falcon for now. He just doesn't feel the same and in my opinion he isn't as unique as he used to be in ssb4.

P.S I don't think anyone hate falcon now, people just doesn't like the new changes to his gameplay and they are looking forward to any fix and tweaks to get back at maining him.

Last edited:

Nubby

Smash Cadet
Because scrubs can't think what to do if Falcon starts running at you.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
His combos got harder, his dash dance sucks because off a crummy initial dash (seriously, he’s a rush down/combo character, make him faster!) D throw Nair isn’t true on some characters with down and away air dodge, D throw up air combos also get DIed out of pretty easily at mid percentages and overall he’s not as good and takes more work to be good with. Nobody hates him though. Falcon is still the Hypest boi. However he’s a lot harder to play and as of now isn’t that good.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
His combos got harder, his dash dance sucks because off a crummy initial dash (seriously, he’s a rush down/combo character, make him faster!) D throw Nair isn’t true on some characters with down and away air dodge, D throw up air combos also get DIed out of pretty easily at mid percentages and overall he’s not as good and takes more work to be good with. Nobody hates him though. Falcon is still the Hypest boi. However he’s a lot harder to play and as of now isn’t that good.
His Smash website blog entry states that he's a fighter with speed and power, but leaves himself open a lot. From this I surmise they want Falcon to be a character who has to take big risks to get big results. The devs likely weren't happy with how much reward he got for relatively safe options in 4, and a slow initial dash would also fit the theme of heavy commitment.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Having a bad initial dash directly counters him being speedy at all. He already is combo good and has a bad recovery. That’s big risk.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Because scrubs can't think what to do if Falcon starts running at you.
Only online. Since even a smidge of uneven lag/delay on the non-Falcon's side just sets them up to be "bodied" or something. Especially if using average speed characters.

Having a bad initial dash directly counters him being speedy at all. He already is combo good and has a bad recovery. That’s big risk.
To be fair, in a game where most KB angles are upwards or diagonal, most bad recoveries aren't as risky to have. Being fast overall allows him to get the hell outta dodge, allowing him to take away some of the opponent's momentum without actually even attacking. And ofc being fast makes his Dash Attack/Grab pretty powerful vs a nice chunk of the roster - bcuz - oops slow gorls/bois.

He is still a strong/not low-tier character and he's fast with nice sized hitboxes for a character who just uses his body (rip WFT). But he's not as easy to harass with as he was in Sm4sh. Because, like, he's kinda balanced and stuff now. His Side-B could be a bit stronger though imo. And in a game where some characters are extremely/good or safe to play, using him just doesn't make sense if he was used more for tier-reasons and not for-fun-reasons.

I suppose it's because using a character with a weighty enough weakness is a scary thought to some. :secretkpop:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Only online. Since even a smidge of uneven lag/delay on the non-Falcon's side just sets them up to be "bodied" or something. Especially if using average speed characters.

To be fair, in a game where most KB angles are upwards or diagonal, most bad recoveries aren't as risky to have. Being fast overall allows him to get the hell outta dodge, allowing him to take away some of the opponent's momentum without actually even attacking. And ofc being fast makes his Dash Attack/Grab pretty powerful vs a nice chunk of the roster - bcuz - oops slow gorls/bois.

He is still a strong/not low-tier character and he's fast with nice sized hitboxes for a character who just uses his body (rip WFT). But he's not as easy to harass with as he was in Sm4sh. Because, like, he's kinda balanced and stuff now. His Side-B could be a bit stronger though imo. And in a game where some characters are extremely/good or safe to play, using him just doesn't make sense if he was used more for tier-reasons and not for-fun-reasons.

I suppose it's because using a character with a weighty enough weakness is a scary thought to some. :secretkpop:
Balanced now? He was barely top 20 in 4.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Balanced now? He was barely top 20 in 4.
:secretkpop: o n l i n e :secretkpop:
:secretkpop: p l a y :secretkpop:

And also FD stages being the default or some form of them. I definitely do not miss that, not that they went anywhere, it's just they're slightly less frequent. Besides that, anyone in the top 20 were basically the "viable" characters. Below that is where weaknesses became consistently exploitable. rip to the losers at the very bottom ofc.

Though I think they overnerfed the online-problematic characters a little too harshly along with some of the other top tiers. So use the word "balanced" loosely in regards to SmashU. I assume he only got some spotlight time in Sm4sh because the roster was smaller and he was good enough to ignore his few weaknesses - he didn't really have anything to set him apart or had fun tools/specials/panic buttons/etc like many of the other higher tiered characters. So now he still lacks the fun tools/specials/panic buttons and now he has to actually mind his weaknesses. They kinda screwed him over in a game with this HUGE type of roster by trying to make him balanced (while failing to make other characters balance somehow?) oops.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
:secretkpop: o n l i n e :secretkpop:
:secretkpop: p l a y :secretkpop:

And also FD stages being the default or some form of them. I definitely do not miss that, not that they went anywhere, it's just they're slightly less frequent. Besides that, anyone in the top 20 were basically the "viable" characters. Below that is where weaknesses became consistently exploitable. rip to the losers at the very bottom ofc.

Though I think they overnerfed the online-problematic characters a little too harshly along with some of the other top tiers. So use the word "balanced" loosely in regards to SmashU. I assume he only got some spotlight time in Sm4sh because the roster was smaller and he was good enough to ignore his few weaknesses - he didn't really have anything to set him apart or had fun tools/specials/panic buttons/etc like many of the other higher tiered characters. So now he still lacks the fun tools/specials/panic buttons and now he has to actually mind his weaknesses. They kinda screwed him over in a game with this HUGE type of roster by trying to make him balanced (while failing to make other characters balance somehow?) oops.
Has to mind his weaknesses? Again, barely top 20 isn’t no weaknesses. And if online was what caused nerfs, why was Ness buffed to borderline top tier?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's got nothing to do with online, in Ultimate there's been a consistent trend of rebalancing characters that relied solely on a handful (or even a single) of strong moves to succeed in 4. For Falcon this meant dash grab to dthrow (with dash attack mixup), jab, uair and bair. It's not much of a stretch to say those were the only moves Falcon needed to win in the previous game. Now there's actual merit to his tilts and using dair to spike plus start combos is viable again.

Anubiz4Hire

Smash Rookie
since when did people hate captain falcon??

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Yeah I’ve never really heard of anyone hating Falcon? Lol if anything people love he character even if they don’t main him

GhostM

Phantom
I’ve never heard of anyone who hates Falcon, but before the patch I do know that there was a good chunk of people that didn’t like him because he felt different in Ultimate than he did in Smash 4. He’s not as fast as he was before, and he felt clunky and slow especially with his old raptor boost which was barely utilized due to how utterly trash it was.

Top Bottom