• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does everyone assume that new tech will be patched out?

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Recently, when watching videos on new tech being discovered in Ultimate on YouTube, the comments section is always "This is going to get patched out" and other similar comments. I'm always scratching my head at this. The fear comes from the fact that DACUS was patched out of Smash 4 in a latter version. But to my knowledge, that's the only major tech in the game that was patched out. So why point to one single example for something that is probably not going to happen? I assume its because people still believe the "Sakurai hates competitive play" garbage (which was never true BTW), but after all the work the team has done, and all the pre-launch tournament support Nintendo has given it, do people really still believe this? Point is, just because that one tech was patched that one time, doesn't mean that's the standard for patching.

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562
Recently, when watching videos on new tech being discovered in Ultimate on YouTube, the comments section is always "This is going to get patched out" and other similar comments. I'm always scratching my head at this. The fear comes from the fact that DACUS was patched out of Smash 4 in a latter version. But to my knowledge, that's the only major tech in the game that was patched out. So why point to one single example for something that is probably not going to happen? I assume its because people still believe the "Sakurai hates competitive play" garbage (which was never true BTW), but after all the work the team has done, and all the pre-launch tournament support Nintendo has given it, do people really still believe this? Point is, just because that one tech was patched that one time, doesn't mean that's the standard for patching.
It wasn’t just DACUS. Other tech that was removed that competitive players liked include:
Wave dashing
L canceling
Crouch canceling
Perfect pivots
And that’s just off the top of my head.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Wavedashing is back in Ultimate, though.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
It wasn’t just DACUS. Other tech that was removed that competitive players liked include:
L canceling
Compare the landing lag of melee characters to Ultimate and it's consistently better if not identical in this game. Why would anybody want to have to press L to get access to such good frame data that they already get for free?
Crouch canceling
Still in the game.

Perfect pivots
All the benefits of perfect pivot exist in Ultimate's foxtrot/dash dance system. Only it's 1000% easier to perform consistently, gives you more freedom in distance and timing, and doesn't turn you around awkwardly. They took a flawed system like pivots and just introduced it as a basic movement tool.

Wave dashing
One out of four.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Wave dashing
L canceling
Crouch canceling
Perfect pivots
L Canceling is redundant when everyone can auto cancel and has reduced landing lag anyway. It's an arbitrary mechanic that has no place in modern design.
Crouch Cancelling is in every Smash Bros. game, and Perfect pivots aren't needed anymore since you have a ton of other new and better ways to approach this time.

Really, DACUS was the only tech that was actually patched out, other changes either were given new additions to compensate, or haven't been touched. This notion that all tech will be removed is nonsensical really.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It is true that Sakurai believes that games should be easy to learn and every option should be easy to understand — he believes in low skill floors. However, he also likes high skill ceilings — complexity and depth comes from interactions between options.

I'd recommend looking up RelaxAlax's videos on "Kirbyism"; I'd link to them myself, but I'm on a tight time budget right now.

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562
Wavedashing is back in Ultimate, though.
With how trash it is in ultimate it might as well not be.

Compare the landing lag of melee characters to Ultimate and it's consistently better if not identical in this game. Why would anybody want to have to press L to get access to such good frame data that they already get for free
Because L canceling and perfect pivots required technical skill and timing therefore lowering the skill ceiling of the games that don’t have it. This video breaks it down pretty well.

I know this video relates to the direction of the street fighter series, but the bit about the legendary diago parry evo moment at the beginning could easily be applied to the direction the smash series has taken.

SSBF

Smash Rookie
Having lower skill caps kind of bring a breeze of new players who're interested in the game, but don't know specific timings, I believe Sakurai did this for the life of Smash Ultimate and the series in general.

Dr. Wario

Smash Cadet
It is true that Sakurai believes that games should be easy to learn and every option should be easy to understand — he believes in low skill floors. However, he also likes high skill ceilings — complexity and depth comes from interactions between options.

I'd recommend looking up RelaxAlax's videos on "Kirbyism"; I'd link to them myself, but I'm on a tight time budget right now.
Indeed, and while I understand this board's love of wavedashing, the fact is that it was at best an oversight in the original which led to gameplay being fairly concentrated in an already pretty concentrated game. It's no wonder a developer would want to change something that renders 3/4ths of the game basically unused.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Because L canceling and perfect pivots required technical skill and timing therefore lowering the skill ceiling of the games that don’t have it. This video breaks it down pretty well.

I know this video relates to the direction of the street fighter series, but the bit about the legendary diago parry evo moment at the beginning could easily be applied to the direction the smash series has taken.
Never mind that, removing L-canceling and effectively making it automatic lowers the skill floor, which is crucial for making the game accessible to casuals and new players; as I said earlier, in Sakurai's mind, a game with a high skill floor is unplayable trash. As for perfect pivoting, I can't speak about that because I'm not really sure how it compares to turnarounds in Ultimate (and I mean "turnaround" as in literally turning around, not making a comeback from a seemingly-hopelessly-behind position). I can say that I’ve frequently whiffed attacks by not quite managing to turn around before doing the attack input, but I'm pretty sure that's just me being a noob acting with more haste than my brain can handle and pressing buttons and sticks in the wrong order.

Thanks for the link, that saves me the trouble of editing my earlier post.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice

If you also actually read Sakurai's interviews in context, you would know that he's never really said he hates competitive play at all, he even said Melee was technically the best in the series. He just feels Melee was too technical for its own good, and that Smash is meant to be much more than a competitive fighter. He doesn't hate competitive players, he hates it when people only view Smash one way or the other. Melee players don't like hearing it, because they can't see how casuals can't enjoy Melee, but that's not really his point. Sure, any game that let's you button mash and spam items with 3 other people is going to be a hit with casual gamers. Problem comes when those newbies want to learn to get good at the game, and that's where Sakurai thinks Melee faltered, as it has the highest skill floor in the series if you want to get even remotely competent at it. Again, Melee players are too entrenched into their knowledge of the game to see it, but Sakurai isn't completely wrong with his claim.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Is this really a new direction for the Smash series though? It was never intended to be hyper technical, and most techniques such as wavedashes and perfect pivots, while useful, were flukes that weren't intended to have the practical applications they did.

As for l-canceling which was intentional, it does far more to raise the skill floor while only barely raising the skill ceiling. It doesn't really add much of value. It's funny you bring up Evo Moment 37 because parrying in Ultimate requires tighter timing then l-canceling (5 frames as opposed to 7), reacting to or predicting your opponents moves, and also provides far more entertainment value. Unlike l-canceling it's not mandatory to play the game well so it doesn't really raise the skill floor, but it's also rewarding enough that it does do its job of raising the skill ceiling for those who wish to master it. Ultimate's new Perfect Shield system will likely create more hype plays then L-canceling ever did, although I doubt that's a high bar as you don't exactly see people getting hyped over someone l-canceling 6 times in a row before their combo.

xzx

Smash Lord
Because Nintendon't. Their target audience has switched from casuals/families to children. Sakurai hates techs. He has proven it himself many times. See how much tech he removed from the transition to Smash 4 from Brawl, how much tech that was patched out during Smash 4 and how many techs characters lost in the transition to Ultimate. For example, every tech Pac-Man had in Smash 4 was removed in Ultimate...

I don't get how people can defend Sakurai in this regard when he has proven time after time that he in fact is very against techs because otherwise little Joey and 8-years-old Timmy can't "keep up". And Nintendon't and Sakurai don't want that!!1!11!!1! ;'(((((((((

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Because Nintendon't. Their target audience has switched from casuals/families to children. Sakurai hates techs. He has proven it himself many times. See how much tech he removed from the transition to Smash 4 from Brawl, how much tech that was patched out during Smash 4 and how many techs characters lost in the transition to Ultimate. For example, every tech Pac-Man had in Smash 4 was removed in Ultimate...

I don't get how people can defend Sakurai in this regard when he has proven time after time that he in fact is very against techs because otherwise little Joey and 8-years-old Timmy can't "keep up". And Nintendon't and Sakurai don't want that!!1!11!!1! ;'(((((((((
There's a snarky remark to be made here about Chicken Little...

LightLV

Smash Ace
Perfect Pivoting was a pretty ****ty tech IMO. It was significantly harder than L-cancelling or Wavedashing ever was with not even a fraction of the utility.

Indeed, and while I understand this board's love of wavedashing, the fact is that it was at best an oversight in the original which led to gameplay being fairly concentrated in an already pretty concentrated game. It's no wonder a developer would want to change something that renders 3/4ths of the game basically unused.
Fun fact people seem to forget (or not know) about Sakurai -- the man used to play fighting games competitively. He knew wavedashing was a thing. Melee's direction makes it highly improbable that the developers didn't catch it. Probably didn't figure it would have gotten used to the extent that it did, but there's no reason to believe it was a "MISTAKE" as so many Smash players seem intent on believing.

Melee's tech didn't undermine the rest of the game....it's meta did. Every competitive game on earth has this issue, INCLUDING games that aren't inherently competitive....in fact, the effect is even greater in games like that because balance typically isn't a priority of the developers, and thus isn't factored into the design principles.

Balance was obviously considered in Melee. It just wasn't considered with optimal playtesting in mind. It wasn't futureproofed for competitive players. Brawl attempted to change the dynamic of the gameplay to AVOID melee's style of optimal play (didn't work, in fact i'd say Brawl is the most tech-heavy smash game of them all). Smash 4 was a very sloppy attempt to find a middleground.

Smash Ultimate, on the other hand, is the only smash game thus far that has optimal play considered, and it's obvious in most of its gameplay changes. And it's ironic how both competitive and more casual oriented players alike are loving it.

The fear here is that Nintendo will have a knee-jerk reaction to the game's current competitive state and try to go back on their changes, in a more Smash 4ish direction. Which literally nobody wants or is asking for.

And Nintendo is aggressively blind to concepts like this, the smash series is the perfect example of it. So its no wonder why people are afraid that Nintendo is going to retroactively ruin the game.

Last edited:

Syprone

Smash Cadet
See LightLV’s last paragraph (the quote function is currently glitching)
They kind of did that with Melee with the Pal releases.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
They did, but not to the degree that fixed the core of the issue. They couldn't have even been paying attention to it back then.

But i mean no game in that era had rebalancing to that degree. Patching specifically for top-level play is a modern thing.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice

Yes, techniques were removed, but new ones were created to help compensate. Ultimate gives you better tech for the stuff that was cut from Smash 4. Having a lot of tech means nothing if most of it is either useless or unintended. Personally, I prefer a game with a smaller, but more versitile mechanics that can build off eachother, rather than a laundry list of hard to execute techniques you need to learn.

Also, it's funny how you say Nintendo focuses only on children now when most of the Switch's marketing features families and young adults. And it's even more hilarious that you say Sakurai hates tech, when he spent more than half of Nintendo's E3 Direct talking about new mechanics for the game and characters. The game even has a section that teaches advanced techniques.

The fear here is that Nintendo will have a knee-jerk reaction to the game's current competitive state and try to go back on their changes, in a more Smash 4ish direction. Which literally nobody wants or is asking for.

And Nintendo is aggressively blind to concepts like this, the smash series is the perfect example of it. So its no wonder why people are afraid that Nintendo is going to retroactively ruin the game.
But why would they? They've been pretty adamant about trying to promote Smash Ultimate as a legit tournament fighter, even putting Pro Smash 4 and Melee players on the QA team. Even aside from Smash, ARMS, Splatoon 2, even Mario Tennis Aces all had gameplay and tournaments with high level play in mind.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
But why would they? They've been pretty adamant about trying to promote Smash Ultimate as a legit tournament fighter, even putting Pro Smash 4 and Melee players on the QA team. Even aside from Smash, ARMS, Splatoon 2, even Mario Tennis Aces all had gameplay and tournaments with high level play in mind.
Because it's Nintendo. They are consistently slow on the uptake when it comes to forward movement.

I mean we just got a patch with no patch notes. Almost no game this generation is neglectful enough to do that, let alone a fighting game. Yes, we're probably still in danger of ****ty patches.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Because it's Nintendo. They are consistently slow on the uptake when it comes to forward movement.

I mean we just got a patch with no patch notes. Almost no game this generation is neglectful enough to do that, let alone a fighting game. Yes, we're probably still in danger of ****ty patches.
But all of Nintendo's other Switch games do have patch notes, so it's probably something Smash specific. It's true Nintendo is slow to adopt trends, but there's that, and then there's making baseless, nonsensical claims that have no reality. Why would Sakurai go out of his way to introduce mechanics specifically for high level play, only to then go and say "Just kidding" and take them away within the same game for no reason.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

"Forward movement"? You mean like how SSBU's online literally has fewer features than SSB4's?

We could at least message friends on the WiiU...

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
"Forward movement"? You mean like how SSBU's online literally has fewer features than SSB4's?

We could at least message friends on the WiiU...
Ultimate actually has more customization over matches than Smash 4 did, which separated modes into For Fun and For Glory. With Ultimate, you can set your own preferred rules to either side, or anywhere in between, along with an additional lobby system for more customization. It's still not great, but it's a step up from the bare-bones customization Smash 4 had.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Ultimate actually has more customization over matches than Smash 4 did, which separated modes into For Fun and For Glory. With Ultimate, you can set your own preferred rules to either side, or anywhere in between, along with an additional lobby system for more customization. It's still not great, but it's a step up from the bare-bones customization Smash 4 had.
The whole "step up" thing can and has been debated; a lot of people liked Smash 4's consistency.

LightLV

Smash Ace
The whole "step up" thing can and has been debated; a lot of people liked Smash 4's consistency.
It doesn't even matter really.... "Step Up" is irrelevant, it's just bad. There is no shortage of examples of good netplay modes and netcode on the market right now, and in the decade + years leading up until this point. You can customize everything in smash, unless it involves letting people play online the way they want to....its just odd.

but like....who cares if Splatoon has patch notes....what does that have to do with Smash and the fact that it doesn't?

I mean lets be honest, nobody cares about any of those games competitively, but the one that's seemingly designed with competitive play in mind is missing the most basic online infrastructures to support it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Better customization is nice, but not at the cost of being unable to message friends to let them know you're up for some matches now or will be later.

We shouldn't be paying for an online service that won't even allow us to message friends. That's the barest of bare minimum features the service should have.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace

I feel sad whenever people bring that video up whenever this discussion happens, because that video is honestly missing key pieces of the picture here. Firstly, we are talking about lowering the skill floor of the game, not the skill ceiling. Removing L-Cancelling lowers the skill floor far more than the skill ceiling. How do we know this? Because L-Cancelling increases the skill floor overall due to the fact that doing it requires only execution and little to no strategy. It's also why it doesn't really lower the skill ceiling, because at high level play, anyone who doesn't know how to L-Cancel consistently will just lose due to how much of a non-strategic non-choice it is. This effectively means at high level player, you are expected to L-Cancel minimum, and thus the inclusion of it is redundant for skill ceiling purposes.

As for other techs, crouch cancelling in Ultimate is replaced with run cancel moves, which are easier and do basically the same thing. Are we really going to say that simply making something easier for everyone to do lowers the maximum capacity to be good at the game when if it were crouch cancelling, you would just expect high level players to be able to do it? Crouch cancelling, in terms of execution, is a non-issue at high level play, and the video understands this, but doesn't understand the pathway to that logic, because they clearly say that execution is only the first step, and THEN strategy is for high level play. If you have the choice of picking two different techs, but one is low on execution barrier (run cancel) while the other is higher (crouch cancel) but both end up bringing the same amount of strategic merit to the game, why would you ever pick the latter over the former in order to make a competitive game?

That's the problem with this video. It conflates lowering execution barrier to somehow lowering strategic merits of the game, while at the same time clearly differentiating the two as independent of each other. A contradiction within itself.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
I feel sad whenever people bring that video up whenever this discussion happens, because that video is honestly missing key pieces of the picture here. Firstly, we are talking about lowering the skill floor of the game, not the skill ceiling. Removing L-Cancelling lowers the skill floor far more than the skill ceiling. How do we know this? Because L-Cancelling increases the skill floor overall due to the fact that doing it requires only execution and little to no strategy. It's also why it doesn't really lower the skill ceiling, because at high level play, anyone who doesn't know how to L-Cancel consistently will just lose due to how much of a non-strategic non-choice it is. This effectively means at high level player, you are expected to L-Cancel minimum, and thus the inclusion of it is redundant for skill ceiling purposes.
I don't think that's an entirely accurate description of skill floor or skill ceiling.

Skill floor = the minimum amount of technical skill needed to be considered averagely effective at the game, all mechanics considered.
The lower the skill floor, the less technical skill a player is required to have in order to play the game at an average level.
The higher the skill floor, the more skill is needed.

Skill ceiling = the amount of technical skill needed to play the game closest to its optimal state.
The lower the skill ceiling, the less technical skill is required to utilize the game's engine to to its most optimal state.
The higher the skill ceiling, the more technical skill is required to be considered optimal.

As a principle: useful techniques that require high technical skill raise the skill ceiling, and useful techniques that require low technical skill lower the skill floor. But the most important point that everyone seems to miss is that these two concepts do not have to perfectly correlate with one another. The key word here is "Useful". And what i mean by this is that just because one goes up doesn't mean the other also has to go up, or vice versa.

L-cancelling raises the skill ceiling because it gives a massive advantage to those who use it, it's easy to mess up, but it isn't required to play a character correctly...only more effectively. It raises the skill floor as well, but not nearly as much as the ceiling because L-cancelling is absolutely not required to play the game at an average level. Shorthopping and Wavedashing increases the skill ceiling very highly because the amount of advantage you get for doing it continues to go up the better you get at it. (see: Waveshine) And again, it has a much smaller effect on the skill floor because you can go you whole Melee life (which MOST of us did) not even knowing it was possible, or which techniques it opens up.

See, the real issue here is that people have this urge to measure the skill floor off the activities of high-level players....which is tempting but silly because it's basically judging the mechanics of the game while completely disregarding the learning curve that would be required to learn how to play it. This is why some smash players hate Melee simply for the fact that its skill ceiling is high but overlook the fact that it's skill floor is pretty damn low because it's still Smash.

It essentially comes down to people seeing high-level play and being mad that they aren't able to pull off the same feats just because they're playing the same game. Which would sound stupid as hell if we were talking about literally any other kind of sport, but for some reason this delusion is entertained in videogames. You can throw a football, or you can't. You can land 3-pointers or you can't. You can L-cancel and wavedash or you can't. But none of that stops kids from playing football or basketball in a park or Melee in your friend's basement.

That's the problem with this video. It conflates lowering execution barrier to somehow lowering strategic merits of the game, while at the same time clearly differentiating the two as independent of each other. A contradiction within itself.
1) generally speaking, powerful options in fighting games are gated by execution barriers, and there comes a point where giving out options for free actively starts to ruin the balance of the game. Imagine if Smash had a 10 frame window for powershielding. What if Melee had an 8 frame window for reflecting projectiles. They would be completely different games, and some characters simply wouldn't work anymore. Execution limitations allow for a bigger range of balancing possibilities.

2) most of the time, lowering the skill ceiling involves simplifying the game, which equates to removing decision making options from the game design to make it easier. Examples in Smash would be lightshielding, crouch cancelling, shieldpush and slipping over ledges, and 100% wakeup attacks on the ledge (removed in smash 4). As well as the bucket list of tech that was removed from Smash 4 coming from Brawl.

Last edited:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Skill floor = the minimum amount of technical skill needed to be considered averagely effective at the game, all mechanics considered.
The lower the skill floor, the less technical skill a player is required to have in order to play the game at an average level.
The higher the skill floor, the more skill is needed.
Okay, that sounds about right...

Skill ceiling = the amount of technical skill needed to play the game closest to its optimal state.
The lower the skill ceiling, the less technical skill is required to utilize the game's engine to to its most optimal state.
The higher the skill ceiling, the more technical skill is required to be considered optimal.
Ehhhhhhhhh... this is only true if discounting strategic skill and only thinking of execution, but that was kinda the main problem I brought up. For example, if you had many strategically nuanced choices at your disposal, but all of them were easy to do but not easy to use effectively at all times, then that is a high skill ceiling with low technical skill.

L-cancelling raises the skill ceiling because it gives a massive advantage to those who use it, it's easy to mess up, but it isn't required to play a character correctly...only more effectively.
Not at high level play it doesn't. If you aren't L-Cancelling, you aren't playing the game correctly at high level, because the only way for L-Cancelling to be effective is to use it at any point it can be used. Not so with a similar tech like wavedashing due to the downside of its slight startup causing you to be open. You do NOT wavedash at every opportunity you are able, and not wavedashing at the times doing wavedash would be the wrong choice is more effective play. L-Cancel is not this, because the correct way to use it is every time. I hope you get what I mean here.

It raises the skill floor as well, but not nearly as much as the ceiling because L-cancelling is absolutely not required to play the game at an average level.
You just said skill ceiling correlates to optimal play, a.k.a high level play. Of course it's not required to use at an average level, but skill ceiling doesn't come up there. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you maybe misworded this, because it is counter to what you yourself said.

Shorthopping and Wavedashing increases the skill ceiling very highly because the amount of advantage you get for doing it continues to go up the better you get at it. (see: Waveshine) And again, it has a much smaller effect on the skill floor because you can go you whole Melee life (which MOST of us did) not even knowing it was possible, or which techniques it opens up.
Most of us didn't know because the game never told us. This is another thing that that video seems to really misunderstand, and that's the importance of the game telling you what your tools are and how to best use them. Tutorials are only a good thing, and the way fighting games do tutorials is, for the most part, horrendous.

And you say the advantage you get for doing it goes up the better you get at it? I bring back my point that skill ceiling is not just about technical execution-based skill. Shorthop and wavedashing are not things you want to do all the time. There is such a thing as a bad use of wavedash, so the idea that the skill ceiling rides solely off of the difficulty to execute these maneuvers is just not true. If wavedashing was a button press, a bad player would be able to use it easily, lowering the skill floor, but only an experienced player would know when to use it, thus not changing the skill ceiling at all.

See, the real issue here is that people have this urge to measure the skill floor off the activities of high-level players
This is far more important than you let on, because ignoring high level play when figuring out how the basics of the game works means eventually, the higher up the skill levels you go, the more the game morphs into something it is not designed to be. Case in point, every Smash game. The thing is that it is just better overall to have a low skill floor for a competitive game, but also to base that low skill floor off of the high level players. This means that you are explicitly designing your game for all skill levels rather than just one. Again, I bring you back to every smash game ever, which is balanced around casual play first, and in doing so, competitive play is a mess because of it, in very different ways going through the entries.

It essentially comes down to people seeing high-level play and being mad that they aren't able to pull off the same feats just because they're playing the same game. Which would sound stupid as hell if we were talking about literally any other kind of sport, but for some reason this delusion is entertained in videogames.
This is because video games are not the same as sports, in terms of design anyway. Sports involve physical attributes of the human body to be taken into account, and put at the forefront of the sport's design. We would not have soccer fields that were a mile long in real life, yet if we wanted to make a competitive soccer-like game with a mile long field in a video game, it would be easy as hell to make.

I honestly don't understand why people want to treat the design of competitive video games to be on the same pedestal as physical sports. If anything, video games can become greater than physical sports precisely because of the much lower physical barrier.

generally speaking, powerful options in fighting games are gated by execution barriers, and there comes a point where giving out options for free actively starts to ruin the balance of the game. Imagine if Smash had a 10 frame window for powershielding. What if Melee had an 8 frame window for reflecting projectiles. They would be completely different games, and some characters simply wouldn't work anymore. Execution limitations allow for a bigger range of balancing possibilities.
This is definitely true, but there are far better ways of doing this. And this is why basing strategic depth for high level play is important. You need to design every tool in the game not just based on when it should be used, but when it shouldn't. This is why powershielding was removed in Ultimate, because by its very design, it has no downside, and thus in any circumstance you are able to powershield, it is always better than regular shield. However, in Ultimate, parry is not always the best option despite it being execution based due to the downside of dropping shield should you fail the timing, thus sometimes it is better to just continue shielding or roll or spotdodge rather than make yourself open for a delayed attack. Making parry easier to do would not change this downside, and thus, only the experienced players will figure out when to NOT parry over when to do it. Strategic depth is achieved.

most of the time, lowering the skill ceiling involves simplifying the game, which equates to removing decision making options from the game design to make it easier.
Definitely true.

And to the topic of this thread, this is why I would be totally fine with them removing some of these obviously unintended techs, as they are not balanced around nor designed around intentionally, and thus have the capacity to create imbalances in the game the developers may not be ready for dealing with, considering they clearly want to balance around high-level play and these techs, no matter how execution based, will be expected in high level play should they be useful enough.

HOWEVER, like crouch cancel to run cancel, I would appreciate it if they translate these bug/glitch based techs into actual mechanics to use that are designed and balanced around like any other official advanced technique.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't even matter really.... "Step Up" is irrelevant, it's just bad. There is no shortage of examples of good netplay modes and netcode on the market right now, and in the decade + years leading up until this point. You can customize everything in smash, unless it involves letting people play online the way they want to....its just odd.
That was a problem initially, but it's since been fixed in Version 1.2.0, from what I've heard, match making with custom rules is far more consistent now. Like I said, Online still isn't great, but the fact that they addressed the biggest complaint pretty quickly is a step in the right direction.

but like....who cares if Splatoon has patch notes....what does that have to do with Smash and the fact that it doesn't?
It means that it's not a matter of Nintendo spiting competitive players because they want the filthy casuals /s. It simply means Smash is a weird exception regarding patch notes. It could be that the last patch didn't actually buff or nerf charcaters, just fixed some minor glitches that aren't worth mentioning. The team hasn't done any actual balancing patches yet, so let's wait until that happens first. Besides, they at least tell us who's been changed now, so that's something.

I mean lets be honest, nobody cares about any of those games competitively, but the one that's seemingly designed with competitive play in mind is missing the most basic online infrastructures to support it
like I said, Online still isn't great, but its a step up at least. It could get better in the future as it's now a paid service, so we'll see.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Ehhhhhhhhh... this is only true if discounting strategic skill and only thinking of execution, but that was kinda the main problem I brought up. For example, if you had many strategically nuanced choices at your disposal, but all of them were easy to do but not easy to use effectively at all times, then that is a high skill ceiling with low technical skill.
But that's the thing...how do you make them all easy to do without ruining the concept of the game? I already told you, at some point simplifying inputs will eventually just translate to simplifying and consolidating mechanics, which essentially just leads to a dumbed down game at best and a completely different game at worst.

I'm reminded of Tekken Revolution, that F2P tekken game that came out last generation that gave all characters a single button fully invincible attack. It DRASTICALLY lowered the skill floor of the game, but also lowered the ceiling because they introduced an option for the sake of simplicity for new players that undermined multiple CORE concepts that the game was built upon (high/low crushes, priority and advantage).

All of the characters movesets were the same. It was still Tekken. But suddenly winning required far less strategic thought because the game provided a shortcut to something that otherwise would have required knowledge and practice to achieve the same effect. Casuals loved playing the game, but that's where it ended.

Not at high level play it doesn't. If you aren't L-Cancelling, you aren't playing the game correctly at high level, because the only way for L-Cancelling to be effective is to use it at any point it can be used. Not so with a similar tech like wavedashing due to the downside of its slight startup causing you to be open. You do NOT wavedash at every opportunity you are able, and not wavedashing at the times doing wavedash would be the wrong choice is more effective play. L-Cancel is not this, because the correct way to use it is every time. I hope you get what I mean here.

You just said skill ceiling correlates to optimal play, a.k.a high level play. Of course it's not required to use at an average level, but skill ceiling doesn't come up there. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you maybe misworded this, because it is counter to what you yourself said.
Of course you aren't playing the game correctly at high-level if you aren't L-cancelling. High level play is for players who operate as close to optimal as possible. If you aren't striving to L-cancel every aerial then you aren't playing optimally, it's that simple. If you aren't doing it you are literally losing effectiveness. Wavedashing is no different, it's just that its application is more complex. A technique doesn't have to be applicable in every situation in order to be considered a high-level tech, in fact most high-level techs in fighting games are niche at best. It's not required to use at an average level, but it can nonetheless be used there -- it's not so difficult that an average player can't do it. An average player who learns about L-cancelling can still use it to their advantage even if they aren't perfect at it.

Most of us didn't know because the game never told us. This is another thing that that video seems to really misunderstand, and that's the importance of the game telling you what your tools are and how to best use them. Tutorials are only a good thing, and the way fighting games do tutorials is, for the most part, horrendous.

And you say the advantage you get for doing it goes up the better you get at it? I bring back my point that skill ceiling is not just about technical execution-based skill. Shorthop and wavedashing are not things you want to do all the time. There is such a thing as a bad use of wavedash, so the idea that the skill ceiling rides solely off of the difficulty to execute these maneuvers is just not true. If wavedashing was a button press, a bad player would be able to use it easily, lowering the skill floor, but only an experienced player would know when to use it, thus not changing the skill ceiling at all.
I agree with you that fighting game tutorials are horrendous. But even in games like GGXRD which explains ALL of its engine mechanics to you (and drills you on them), it doesn't mean average players will pay attention or even care. I knew about wavedashing in Melee but i didn't care about it because i didn't see the point. It wasn't until i started playing fighting games and strived to get an edge on my opponents that I even bothered to learn.

No....the skill ceiling would drop. Because there is no longer a barrier to execution, thus the technique is easier to do, thus optimal play is easier to reach.

If you can pick it up and do it without having to practice, it means it takes less skill to do. That's....kind of a defining characteristic of "skill".

This is far more important than you let on, because ignoring high level play when figuring out how the basics of the game works means eventually, the higher up the skill levels you go, the more the game morphs into something it is not designed to be. Case in point, every Smash game. The thing is that it is just better overall to have a low skill floor for a competitive game, but also to base that low skill floor off of the high level players.
This is abhorrently false and i feel like Smash Ultimate's seemingly universal success should be serving as a testament to just how wrong this is. High level play has nothing to do with low level or casual play. It looks like a different game because it IS a different game, and in any event where casual and high level play look similar, then something has likely gone very wrong. High level play is for people who practice, theorycraft, train, strive to get better, optimize their gameplay, share findings with others, and most importantly, who are encouraged by loss and the struggle to acquire mastery instead of discouraged.

And here's the truth: The skill floor doesn't have anything to do with the ceiling because the people who are closer to either side generally have nothing to do with one another. If you're close to the skill floor, then you and I likely aren't playing for the same core reasons. Just because you play to win doesn't mean you strive for mastery, even if you think you do. Because if you did, then you wouldn't be concerned with how high the skill ceiling is...you'd only be concerned with getting closer to it.

This is the true heart of competition, and the true genius of Smash as a series -- it's ability to have both at the same time without one affecting the other. The reason some people don't understand this is because they completely ignore the journey (slowly learning and getting better) because they're only interested in the destination. (WOMBO COMBO EVO MOMENT LOOK AT MY SICK 0 DEATH COMBO)

This is because video games are not the same as sports, in terms of design anyway. Sports involve physical attributes of the human body to be taken into account, and put at the forefront of the sport's design. We would not have soccer fields that were a mile long in real life, yet if we wanted to make a competitive soccer-like game with a mile long field in a video game, it would be easy as hell to make.

I honestly don't understand why people want to treat the design of competitive video games to be on the same pedestal as physical sports. If anything, video games can become greater than physical sports precisely because of the much lower physical barrier.
Because there is no fundamental difference.

You're just applying your same qualms with Esports (technical barriers) to real sports (physical barriers) as your reasoning for why you don't like it. And i've already explained why you feel that way. You have more fun with feeling like you're at the top than you have fun with actually getting there.

And people always cry "elitism!" when someone says that.....but it's the truth. It's just the truth. And there's nothing wrong with that, thats why casual sports, esports, twitch, speedrunning, it's why all of this exists, why it's a billion dollar industry, and why it's so fun to participate in and watch.

People just feel like Esports is different because you're playing a videogame, where the developers could technically just give you one-button skill if they wanted to....but having to earn the right to call yourself skillful is the whole point of competitive fighting games, Esports, and just sports in general. If they did that then it would literally defeat the purpose.

TBH the whole "but what about the casuals!" thing just baffles me in this modern age of gaming....it's like, everyone became so mesmerized with competitive fighting games and the fact that these players got so good at something you didn't even realize was so deep...and then turn around complain about how deep and difficult it is to do. It's the most ridiculous trend gaming has ever done for me. It just makes no sense lol.

Like....these days, Melee's history has been warped into this super ridiculous technical game. But when it actually came out, everyone who complained about it played it as if it was any other smash game. It didn't magically transform into a different game after the competitive scene evolved....it's just that people's perception of it did. Because now that people knew what high-level players could do, they were no longer are allowed to have delusions about how good they were against their friends in their local neighborhood.

edit:

ayy this sounds angry but i promise its not lol

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Would it boost the skill ceiling of football or chess if each player had to do 10 jumping jacks between each round?

When Leffen makes a technical input error and SDs, why does mango voluntarily SD? Why does the crowd cheer?

LightLV

Smash Ace
Would it boost the skill ceiling of football or chess if each player had to do 10 jumping jacks between each round?
Terrible analogy -- the reason the football player is so good at footballing is because he does way more than 10 jumping jacks during the time you aren't looking at him. The difficulty in the physical (technical) aspect has already been overcome, 10 jumping jacks isn't even a warmup. That's why he can run, throw, jump, and juke better than you.

But i suppose he may need to warm his body up a bit inbetween rounds. Kind of like players in esports do before matches with button checks. high-level players don't cry about difficult inputs because by the time they're tournament ready it's very nearly muscle memory. At that point, screwing up is nothing more than typical human error.

Afterall, i'm sure its childs play for any professional football athlete to run an extended distance. But doing that, while also being good at processing the rest of the game is why he's a professional athlete.

jumping jacks have zero correlation with anything in chess, so any tournament requiring you to them is almost certainly trolling you.

When Leffen makes a technical input error and SDs, why does mango voluntarily SD? Why does the crowd cheer?
You're going to have to ask Mango, i have no idea. If i'd guess, it's probably because Mango doesn't care about winning as much as proving a point...I mean it's Mango.

Are you insinuating that Leffen making a technical input error and dying for it is somehow proof that he shouldn't have to make technical input errors? That's silly. Leffen is good because his technical inputs are generally consistent, and it allows him to make excellent plays. If he messes up then that's on him.

That's literally no different from anyone in any other game making any other input error and dying / being punished / SDing for it.

Last edited:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Are you insinuating that Leffen making a technical input error and dying for it is somehow proof that he shouldn't have to make technical input errors? That's silly. Leffen is good because his technical inputs are generally consistent, and it allows him to make excellent plays. If he messes up then that's on him.
What he was trying to get is why would the crowd cheer for Mango "tipping the balance against himself because of his opponent's technical error"? If technical skill is everything in how high the skill ceiling is, then a technical error on Leffen's part should not get anything but ridicule or at the very least quiet indignation on the crowd's part, and by extension, Mango SD'ing to correct this technical error's consequence should get the crowd to boo, or at the very least, not cheer, if technical skill was put into such high regard for the enjoyment of the game.

This, of course, is based on if the crowd cares about skill ceiling, but considering they are watching a competitive match, my guess is that they do care, whether they know it explicitly or not.

Now to your reply to my comment, since I can't double post lol...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm reminded of Tekken Revolution, that F2P tekken game that came out last generation that gave all characters a single button fully invincible attack. It DRASTICALLY lowered the skill floor of the game, but also lowered the ceiling because they introduced an option for the sake of simplicity for new players that undermined multiple CORE concepts that the game was built upon (high/low crushes, priority and advantage).

All of the characters movesets were the same. It was still Tekken. But suddenly winning required far less strategic thought because the game provided a shortcut to something that otherwise would have required knowledge and practice to achieve the same effect. Casuals loved playing the game, but that's where it ended.
Sounds to me like options were taken away at high level play, and that the base of the problem was that, not making one thing easier for newer players. I still put forth that you can both have many options for high level play and simplify them for newer players to grasp, understand, and execute without sacrificing skill ceiling. This example only tells me that they only did half that, which doesn't disprove the idea.

It looks like a different game because it IS a different game, and in any event where casual and high level play look similar, then something has likely gone very wrong.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not sure how to easily explain it, but I guess I can give an example with another game I play and watch, Dota.

The casual Dota players are basically playing the exact same game that pro players are, just suboptimally. This is because all Dota matches share the same ruleset, the same map, the same heroes, etc.

I guess this is a bit off topic since this is more about rulesets in Smash than skill ceiling specifically, so I won't talk about it too much here.

Just because you play to win doesn't mean you strive for mastery, even if you think you do. Because if you did, then you wouldn't be concerned with how high the skill ceiling is...you'd only be concerned with getting closer to it.
You're just applying your same qualms with Esports (technical barriers) to real sports (physical barriers) as your reasoning for why you don't like it. And i've already explained why you feel that way. You have more fun with feeling like you're at the top than you have fun with actually getting there.
I feel like you are talking past me now. You can ignore the rest of this comment if you really want, but please don't ignore this part.

Both of these quotes makes it sound like you think I'm some super casual salty about getting their ass handed to them, so I want the skill ceiling to be lowered so everyone is at my level. In short, you are, once again, making a critical error that that Core-A Gaming video made. I want to reiterate as mildly as I can, because how people misconstrue my intentions when talking about this topic is so one-note it actually is mentally taxing and frustrating now...

I am fully aware that there will always be a skill gap. To act like there is a way for bad players to seem as good as experienced players is a ridiculous notion.

I go on about these topics with the viewpoints that I do not to reach some inane goal of squeezing the skill floor and skill ceiling so close together that no one can get better. This is ridiculous, and honestly I have to question how you even came to this conclusion about me. You assume my intentions are to lower the skill ceiling for my own personal gain when my actual intentions are to lower the skill floor and raise the skill ceiling, but in terms of strategic depth rather than execution.

I feel you believe this because you still believe that skill ceiling is based solely on execution. I've already said why that's simplifying the subject, but this is simply a hypothesis of your viewpoint

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
What he was trying to get is why would the crowd cheer for Mango "tipping the balance against himself because of his opponent's technical error"?
Because it's a good show of sportsmanship.

If technical skill is everything in how high the skill ceiling is, then a technical error on Leffen's part should not get anything but ridicule or at the very least quiet indignation on the crowd's part, and by extension, Mango SD'ing to correct this technical error's consequence should get the crowd to boo, or at the very least, not cheer, if technical skill was put into such high regard for the enjoyment of the game.

This, of course, is based on if the crowd cares about skill ceiling, but considering they are watching a competitive match, my guess is that they do care, whether they know it explicitly or not.
The people aren't watching the match to judge Leffen's technical skill, they're watching to see an entertaining match.....which just so happens to be even more entertaining when you're aware of just how difficult everything you're watching is to pull off. The audience and the players are both aware.

And a skillful match that comes down to the wire is more interesting than a match that ends somewhat prematurely because someone made a grave mistake in the middle of it.

To Mango, it's probably just a case of "i'd rather win without excuses", or "I don't want you to say 'i only lost because i SD'd'". Sometimes competition is deeper than just winning. But again, you'd have to ask him. But usually when someone does something like that, it's because 1) they want to prove a point, or 2) they have respect for their opponent.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I must be the only one who doesn't care about L canceling if every move has as little landing lag as L canceled Aerials in melee, but the truth is there are so many moves that have a significant landing lag in Ultimate, so I don't buy the idea that l canceling is only a technical issue. It let's you create additional combos and mix ups because any aerial you use can have it's landing lag minimal. Ultimate has a lot of Aerials that have a lot of landing lag, enough to prevent a combo you could have done had

1) either L canceling been a thing or

2) they actually followed through on replacing the been it's of L canceling existing by not have much landing lag on that move.

If none of the Aerials had much lag, I would agree that L cancel serves no purpose but that condition is NOT fully met by this game and it's not even close!! Maybe for 10 of the 76 characters yeah.

Long story short here's my order of preference;

1) all Aerials for every character have minimal landing lag (no smash games)

2) L canceling is an option (melee)

3) Most Aerials have low lag but many have a lot of lag (smash ultimate)

If it truly was ONLY about removing a technical barrier why do they add so many frames of lag on some Aerials that aren't even that strong. The truth is they don't like the idea of how many combos this game would have if they did that.

Last edited:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
If it truly was ONLY about removing a technical barrier why do they add so many frames of lag on some Aerials that aren't even that strong. The truth is they don't like the idea of how many combos this game would have if they did that.
Or, maybe they want some semblance of balance, and making all aerials have <10 frames of landing lag means they would also have to weaken them some other way until they are basically the same. You forget that Melee was never designed as a competitive game, and was never balanced as one either, so any resulting outcomes based off of L-Cancelling were not done in the name of balance integrity.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Nearly every character has had landing lag significantly cut on all aerials in Ultimate vs. Smash 4. Landing lag in Ultimate would be roughly the equivalent of L-canceled landing lag in Melee. And the fact that auto canceling still exists for most characters allows some to cut that even further. If you can provide a list of aerials you think have too much landing lag in Ultimate, or at least, worse than their Melee counterparts, I'd be glad to see it. Besides, as the post above said, some moves would be annoyingly spam-able if they had too little landing lag, so keeping them in check is important.

Also, the bolded is some grade A conspiracy BS.

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
As much as I love watching melee, Wavedashing and the amount of inputs you gotta do is risky to get hand injuries and stuff. To me, melee feels like a Mutant that has grown overpowered. Ultimate seems to be an attempt to please everybody.

But I heard that Smash 4 had their **** patch out or nerf most of the time. So I can see why people are concerned

Top Bottom