• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you want to write? What do you want to write? Why do you need this challenge?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
This isn't really a part of the challenge, but I'm curious to hear where you aspiring writers are coming from. It might even help you get your brain juices flowing.

I ask partially for myself, for while I'd love to craft stories, or at least, to have crafted one. I haven't written in years, I just can't come up with a proper tale. Either circumstances cause me to not have a peaceful environment to focus (I'm pretty sensitive to sound/distraction) or when I do have empty pockets of time, I'm blank or I suddenly find myself falling asleep.

But that doesn't stop me from fantasizing about characters, scenes, or ideas, in a vague sense. My desktop is covered in notepads and word documents filled lines I've come up with, concepts, or historical people/events that I find fascinating. I want, or even need, an outlet for my escapism, but I can't make it. It's a bit like a reflection of my real life, I don't know what to do.

I "dream" of the day that I could back to sitting down like I did as a kid with no responsibilities and just typed away many days and nights.

The story I'd like to write now is different from back then though. Constant jokes and anime-like battles... I'd want something analytical, existential, and full of intrigue. Development based mostly from conversations and decisions.

Fantasy was my choice then and it definitely is now. With magic I could do all sorts of things. Although not in a flashy way, but have them be a basis for laws in nature or a society. Not sure yet if it'd be about characters native to the world or if it's of the "isekai" category, a huge craze in Japanese light novels where people are transported or reincarnated into another world, often rather RPG like to appeal to its demographic. I have ideas for either course.

Maybe a novel like Kino's Journey where the protagonist is going to all sorts of unique civilizations and how they operate. Or a story about two or more individuals who receive a power to change the world, and it becomes a contest of ideals. Also I have a thing for the typical empire's that command and conquer, a story about various societies trying to deal with their reach is a common theme in my mind.

If an isekai tale, it'd be of some young individuals, perhaps including but not necessarily limited to a NEET, a heroine with an abused past, a delinquent young man with an extensive criminal record, and seemingly perfect charismatic boy who tries to make up for the loss of a sibling. The story would be about trying to return home, but their different backgrounds causes things to go wrong, and their selfish actions have world-wide consequences.

Perhaps all of the above to some extent. More than likely that to be honest. But sadly I don't really have a real story and a proper setting. Just dialogue, twists, etc. Sigh. It may be that if I ever do write, it might be when I'm old lol.

But enough about me, I'm not even writing or in the challenge haha. What about all of you guys and girls? What drives you to create or at least try to? What are your personal struggles? What would you like to hope and achieve? What kinda stories do you like and what would you like to make?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'd consider myself creative. Throughout the day I come up with ideal scenarios for real life, some much, much, much more impossible than others. I've always loved creating my own characters. It's a fun, constructive hobby. Watching so much TV probably influenced me, inspiring me to create my own stories. As for why I joined the challenge, I hadn't been writing anything lately. I wanted to try a brand new story, and actually try to make it good.

The actual story I'm writing for the challenge is intentionally completely opposite of what I'm used to coming up with. Normally I'd come up with something with fantasy and/or sci-fi elements, with maybe a lot of humor slammed into it, and at least one funny chase scene.

Top Bottom