• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you think FG Hell never became a thing?

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
For the past two years, players have been dealing with this thing where you suddenly go from being connected to many players to suddenly everyone disappears and you're left playing the same people in a pool of limbo. No one knows exactly how you get banned, which is why it makes this subject so much weirder.

Even if you assumed that simply being banned didn't get you sent to FG Hell and that everyone who gets banned is lying about their innocence, the game still doesn't tell you that you're banned and that's, again, what makes this all so weird.

The game does tell you when you are banned for, say, disconnecting.

But when you are soft banned, or sent to a sort of private server, you are given no indication of any kind.

Another oddity, as opposed to being banned for disconnecting from a match and being told that is why you are banned, the game also gives you a time limit. This is generally 10 minutes.

A trip to banland can last as long as two months. Even longer, according to some, and at least 7 days. Wow.

So you can get a minimum of 7 days for reasons that have never been revealed by Nintendo.

How?

How did FG Hell not become a bigger thing? Why are there practically no videos on YouTube about it? Why has Nintendo never publically disclosed how this system works? Why do Nintendo of America employees sound so clueless when asked about it?

There is only one mainstream article that I can find on the subject
http://kotaku.com/a-look-inside-smash-bros-hell-a-depressing-battlegr-1785089091

That's it. Other than that, it's just player stories that are all over the place.
No set answers, just a combined narrative, which, btw, a manager at Nintendo actually dismissed my claims for being banned as just some sort of made up story on all of our behalfs.

And noticed how I've been talking in past tense. How did banland not get noticed by the mainstream because it's not gonna get fixed now or noticed now.

I'm banned right now, but I'm ok with that. When I'm feeling particularly salty, I've reported people. It's there. It's an option. I don't care. I have bad days when I'm grumpy and you know what, **** that guy, I simply don't like his mii. It's that easy.

Ridiculous, right?

But that's it. Something that is so ridiculous that can be done so easily, no one seemed to really care/believe it.

So sometimes you just gotta wonder, how did For Glory Hell not become a thing.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It could be various things, really.

Perhaps it's not that common of a problem than we think it is despite seeing many folks asking questions and bringing it up from time to time here on SmashBoards. After all the report function is already faulty in a sense that people can easily avoid being reported and banned in a number of ways. All it takes is not sticking around after insulting someone at the CSS or leaving before someone does decide to finally report you for whatever other behavior you did. Some people may not think reporting is worth it, too.

I could also compare Banland to Taunt Parties as well.

Many people seem to be aware of their existence, and even Sakurai himself addressed the problem and explained that was one of the main reasons the report function was implemented in the first place; however I still see constant Threads on many occasions being posted here on SmashBoards asking about it or bringing it up. People know of it, yet many still seem in the dark about it despite how common they are. Other than that people may possibly not care about it at all if they don't play Online much.

People have already mentioned and explained their distaste for the Online Modes, especially For Glory. As time goes on perhaps less and less people are playing online these days, or have found alternative methods to get their online fix. Discord seems to of become a very popular alternative method to finding players to go against online, leaving less people going into For Glory and etc.

Smash U/3DS is pretty close to it's third year now. It may not seem like a long time, but three years after release chances are the Staff has already long moved on to other projects. So even if we did get them to notice the issue, would they really want to fix it?

Their main focus seems to be for the Switch now, anyways. I don't think they'd really want to touch up any Wii U game at this point unless something is found that would become a massive problem. If we're lucky enough to get either a Switch port of Smash or a new game entirely at some point (which we may not), perhaps they'll end up reworking the report system and fix this mess.

But as it stands we're stuck with this issue with no hopes of it getting fixed. Besides we have plenty of alternatives at this point as well, such as Discord like I mentioned. With more alternatives means this issue will lessen due to people experiencing it much less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom