• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you still play Brawl?

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Hello, I'm quite curious actually. As we all know, Brawl get a lot of hate. Now I'm not here to bring more hate. I'm here to start a discussion. I'm genuinly curious, why do you still play Brawl?

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
It's not really as bad as many think. Sure it's slow and some stages are bad, but I still play it for one thing: Subspace. That is why I love brawl still. (also for pm, but it doesn't count)

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
It's not really as bad as many think. Sure it's slow and some stages are bad, but I still play it for one thing: Subspace. That is why I love brawl still. (also for pm, but it doesn't count)
Hell, I know that. I actually play Brawl from time to time (But I primarily play Melee). I agree with you that Subspace is truly wonderful.

Tommtom9

Smash Rookie
because i grw up playing it, and i recently discoved dolphin. So the connection was made [retty quickly

Also becasue i didnt figure out yet how to intall project M on dolphin.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
because i grw up playing it, and i recently discoved dolphin. So the connection was made [retty quickly

Also becasue i didnt figure out yet how to intall project M on dolphin.
There is a thread somewhere in the PM section for program installations. (Btw, customs won't work through online) That's how I got it.
(But I primarily play Melee).
Melee will always be better than brawl.

Last edited:

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
I play all the smash games, so of course Brawl is included in that. It's not as bad as people think, tripping doesn't occur as much as people say they do. In some ways, it's faster than Sm4sh, and it's more technical as well. My only real problem with it is how dumb Meta knight is, and it's a bit floaty for my tastes, but otherwise it's much better than people say it is.

BlushFactory

Smash Cadet
Because Imo, Its the only one that offers the best balance between Casual and Competitive. You can easily switch between the two and its no problem.

D

Deleted member

Because I still have fun playing it, plain and simple really. Even as somebody who plays Smash competitively nowadays, I have little to no qualms playing Brawl despite how much I love other entries like Melee, PM and Smash 4 which are all much more faster-paced. The only thing that annoys me about the game is tripping, otherwise I still have a blast with it to this day. Plus it's nice to play cut characters like Squirtle, Ivysaur and Wolf. Characters that are better in this game than they are in Smash 4 like G&W, Dedede, Kirby and Falco are nice too.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I play Brawl because it was the first smash game I have ever played. Plus out of all the smash games I've played I find brawl a lot of fun. Competitive or not.

sadweather

Smash Apprentice
Im ready for all the hate, but i like brawl more than sm4sh. I like the feel of brawl so much more. Maybe its nostalgia, maybe not, but i have always thought highly of brawl as a competitive and casual game.

Happens2u

Writing Team
I like Brawl way more than smash 4. Brawl is a deeper competitive game and there is still room for technical skill, unlike a lot of smash 4. I also am less of a fan of smash 4's emphasis on throw followups. I like Brawl for its read-based gameplay, diverse array of viable characters (each viable character plays totally differently) and the item play. I've heard that you can tell a Brawl player by how comfortable they are with items like bananas or turnips.

I believe that yes, Melee is a better game overall, but Brawl is still one of the better smash games. It just had some flaws that really kept it from becoming as well-liked, which were poor character balance, overly defensive play as the optimized strategy from the #1 and #2 characters, speed in comparison to Melee, tripping, floatiness, and lack of advanced techniques from Melee (although with time some Brawl advanced techniques did emerge).

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
The Ice Climbers were my #3 in Brawl, so being able to play them and original Olimar is a big reason why I still play Brawl these days.

The Subspace Emissary is another one. While it doesn't have a super complex story, I enjoy seeing the characters from each series interact with each other and act as a team. I'm also a fan of how you have character stocks and alternate between characters in the SSE. I hope that becomes an option for regular Smash matches at some point.

This probably sounds weird, but tournament mode is another thing that keeps me coming back to Brawl. For some reason I just like setting up big offline tournaments with coms and my favorite characters and playing them out. Unfortunately, that's not an option in Smash 4, so for now I go back to Brawl and Melee to make mock tournaments whenever I feel like doing that.

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Brawl has a lot of sentimental value for me as a game. It was the first game I pre ordered and attended the midnight release for. It was one of the first games I remember being truly excited for since its announcement. As soon as me and my friends brought it home, we pulled an all nighter just brawling, unlocking characters as we played. It was such a good time.

After seven years, I am still playing Brawl. Not as much as when we were binge playing, but enough for a few rounds every week or two. I love Smash Wii U, but I will always love Brawl for the memories it brought, and for making high school more tolerable.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Even though I don't have Brawl right now (I will get it eventually), I have awesome memories of playing it since 2009.

While Brawl may be the worst in the competitive side, it was consider the best (than Smash 4) in the casual side. Great Classic Mode and All Stars. Boss Battle and SSE as the whole. Event Matches and Target Smash (despite it flaws) was also good in a different way. Tournament Mode was still good despite few parts are not from Melee. There a lot more that are better than the new game in a casual side.

Last edited:

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
Brawl was a majestic game. Great awesome amazing content for the players and if you get 3 friends and turn on items, you will have a blast and the room will be full of laughter. Subspace was great and had awesome cutscenes. About like 80% of all brawl hate came from melee players and that documentary didn't help Brawl either. Anyway what a great game.

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
i always found brawl a fun and interesting game. this was the first smash game played. in addition, playing brawl casually made matches extremely funny

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I play Brawl because it was the first smash game I have ever played. Plus out of all the smash games I've played I find brawl a lot of fun. Competitive or not.
Same with me. It was the first game I got into and I have many fond memories of playing against my friends. I wouldn't say that it's the most fun (I'd give that to Melee) but I enjoy it mainly for fun. Plus that Subspace Emissary though

Last edited:

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
I would go back to play Brawl if I could. Melee was my first Smash game, but I also have many fond memories playing Brawl. It was fun. Me and my friends would play countless hours of Brawl at my house. Smash 4 is my favorite, but I enjoy and love every smash game. I'm a Smash Bros. fan, not just a fan of one game.

D

Deleted member

I still play it thanks to being able to mod it. The amount of customization available is awesome

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Brawl has the best single player of all Smash games. In that aspect, Smash 4 is garbage compared to Brawl. People only hate Brawl because of its boring competitive side.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
I enjoy Brawl, it has a nice balance between casual and competitive and it's faster than Sm4sh.

Top Bottom