• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you still main Bayo?

NerFox

Smash Cadet
Just wanted to ask all you Bayo mains why you still stick to her after she was (kinda necessarily) nerfed. I still have no main but I really like Bayo and love her kit (hitting Witch Time is soooo satisfying even when its not as good as before) Though I’m not very good at SSBU yet and don’t know if I should even try to learn Bayo when I even struggle with more simple characters. I can’t even properly recover with her. So I am really interested in getting good with Bayo cause she seems so fun when you know how to play her. She isn’t high tier though while being a very difficult character to be really good with, so just a bit scared she “isn’t worth it”.

So I was wondering: what are the reasons you still play and enjoy Bayo?

FlyingSheep7846

Smash Rookie
It may not seem like it, but Bayo is actually a really fun character to play. I only now picked her up in Ultimate because I didn't want to be hated in Smash 4, but the character has really grown on me in the past few months. When I first pciked up Bayo I had no idea what to do with the character, but hitting the infamous Witch Twist, After Burner kick was so satisfying that I decided to play the character a lot more. All in all, although she is for sure a mid tier character as of 4.0.0, she is definetley an extremley fun and enjoyable character that I would definetley reccomend.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I don’t know.

I’m torn when it comes to her. Most of the time I play as her, I just feel nothing but disappointment and frustration.

I used to find her fun, but as I’m trying to improve as a player she’s just... so bad.

I hate how she loses neutral 95% of the time, and how whenever the opponent and I are doing an attack at the same time, she always get hit.

She’s so painfully slow and I don’t like how everything she does is punishable.

They successfully destroyed her character in Ultimate after the vocal majority wanted her gone.

It’s just sad because I want to make her work, but she’s got this stupidly low ceiling on how good you can get with her.

The endlag, light frame, bad frame data, lack of kill power, and stupidly slow startup and on her moves make me put her as bottom tier.

She can combo. So what? So can a lot of other characters. Her combos don’t even connect reliably most times I try. The other guy just falls out of them.

Basically, trying to make her work but feeling nothing but aggravation about it.

NerFox

Smash Cadet
I also find it frustrating that one of the characters I love to play as, almost feels like she could only works in the hands of a pro. I would be really happy if they would buff her and making her stronger and viable. That doesn’t mean bringing back the broken mess that Smash 4 Bayo was though.

I think Witch Time needs a buff while not being ridiculous like in Smash 4.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I also find it frustrating that one of the characters I love to play as, almost feels like she could only works in the hands of a pro. I would be really happy if they would buff her and making her stronger and viable. That doesn’t mean bringing back the broken mess that Smash 4 Bayo was though.

I think Witch Time needs a buff while not being ridiculous like in Smash 4.
That’s the thing, even in the hands of a pro, they don’t even exactly go far in major tourneys. That’s why they need a secondary because she’s got too many flaws to be a solo main.

She needs better frame data overall. It’s appalling how bad it is for every move in her kit.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Personally, I main whomever feels natural to me. That said, aside from being a huge fan of the Bayonetta games and her saucy personality, I like her overall playstyle.

Although, things DID go downhill for her after the nerf. In Smash Ultimate, I was hoping they would achieve a balance in her playstyle. For instance, her death combos could perhaps kill just as efficiently in Smash 4 before the nerf, but not nearly as early. An idea I thought of is that, the higher the enemy's damage %, the more hitstun Bayonetta's attacks deal, thus making her combos harder to escape. This way, opponents at 0% can easily escape and not be instantly KO'ed. This would also give the player a reason to use her bullet arts more. [EDIT] The higher hitstun gimmick would also make her pursuing attacks more effective, especially her forward tilt.

Overall, I just really wish they would buff her--but I doubt it will happen, due to the haters.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
That’s the thing, even in the hands of a pro, they don’t even exactly go far in major tourneys. That’s why they need a secondary because she’s got too many flaws to be a solo main.

She needs better frame data overall. It’s appalling how bad it is for every move in her kit.
The only pros we have still maining her are Lima and Captain Zack, and neither are making waves with her. Lima hardly plays the game anymore (even though he's still incredible), and Zack is up to his normal controversy. Just watching their games show Bayo's weakness, which is lack of kill power and lack of neutral.

At SuperSmashCon Lima went up against Mr. E's Lucina. In my opinion he outplayed Mr. E at every corner, but still lost because it's so hard to take stocks with Bayo. Her movement and combo game are insane, but that doesn't mean anything if she only has one reliable kill move. Idk, it's tough being a Bayo main.

D

Deleted member

Why do I still main Bayo? Character loyalty, that is what it is. Even if my girls get nerfed from one game to another, I will not turn my back on them.

My interest for :ultbayonetta1: started in Smash 4 when I finally got my pre-order of the :4bayonetta2: amiibo. Same thing with :rosalina: in that same game, :ultdaisy: here in Ultimate, and :ultpeach: being a special case in which I was loyal to her since Melee, by the way. Anyways, if I had to give another reason, well, it would be the super-powerful combo game Bayo has. I have yet to do any serious practice on those myself.

Before I go let me say this: it brings joy to the heart of me, a woman soon to be 58 years old, to see y'all be faithful and loyal to my girl :ultbayonetta: here.

Sayonara :kirby:

NerFox

Smash Cadet
I really like it when people are loyal to their character(s). Kinda shows who the real mains are and who were just playing because of her being broken at the time.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I really like it when people are loyal to their character(s). Kinda shows who the real mains are and who were just playing because of her being broken at the time.
“True mains” are a fantasy that don’t belong in games like these. The goal of this game is to win and to win, you must use the best tools.

Bowser is a high tier and Bayonetta can die from a random forward smash from him in mid-percents. This doesn’t mention that the rage mechanic is in his and the other characters’ benefit, making Bayonetta’s and Sheik’s entire gimmick and design insanely awful. Seriously, the only great character with their gimmick is Inkling, but Inkling has amazing frame data, nice range, kill-confirms (even it’s telegraph), a great projectile, a fantastic damage output, actually decent weight, and damage boosting ink. Let’s not forget that a character like Ken is far more reliable for insane combing and killing than Bayonetta, he is also is one of the best characters to parry into that jank.

NerFox

Smash Cadet
“True mains” are a fantasy that don’t belong in games like these. The goal of this game is to win and to win, you must use the best tools.
I thought the goal of this game (and all games) is to have fun though. But I get your point.

Philos-kun

Smash Rookie
I main Bayo because I love her backstory, personality and character development, which made me vote for her at the Smash Ballot. True loyalty even when she wasn't even a posibility. True loyalty because I didn't care if she was broken or not; I made her to Elite and she's been my highest scored character ever since the game got released.

Now please give me Reimu Hakurei and I'll cry for an eternity.

Top Bottom