• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play Roy?

Why do you play Roy?

• Total voters

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
I started playing as Roy and I really like his playstyle. Due to his sweetspot being at the hilt of his blade, it encourages you to be in the opponent's face and that's something I tend to do. Roy makes it easier to fight up close unlike my current main, Mario.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
You should have had the option: Because i heard he's super op!

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I enjoy Roy's playstyle the most out of all Smash swordsmen they really did a good job on emphasizing his close range fighting style in Smash 4(Increasing his speed, new reverse grip animations etc). Binding Blade is also my favorite FE game with Roy being my favorite lord.

He isn't a complete Marth replacement for me though, I still use Marth against characters Roy has issues with.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I use him because I love swordfighters, and out of all the swordfighters in this game, I think he's the most user friendly. Shulk is good, but he's got a lot of end lag to his moves so you have to be extremely careful. Ike's in the same boat as Shulk. Marth/Lucina's playstyles aren't as fast-paced as Roy's, so I get a bit bored using them.

I think the main reason why I use him though, is his design. I've always preferred his design over all the other FE characters in Smash. It probably has to do with his color scheme; I really like Roy's color scheme for some reason. Lucina's my other favorite, although I don't use her much due to her playstyle not clicking with me like I said earlier.

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
I use him because I love swordfighters, and out of all the swordfighters in this game, I think he's the most user friendly. Shulk is good, but he's got a lot of end lag to his moves so you have to be extremely careful. Ike's in the same boat as Shulk. Marth/Lucina's playstyles aren't as fast-paced as Roy's, so I get a bit bored using them.

I think the main reason why I use him though, is his design. I've always preferred his design over all the other FE characters in Smash. It probably has to do with his color scheme; I really like Roy's color scheme for some reason. Lucina's my other favorite, although I don't use her much due to her playstyle not clicking with me like I said earlier.
I always liked Roy because of his design, he always seemed so manly compared to Marth in melee with his red hair, fiery sword and his voice.I'm glad that Roy is back in smash 4 because I remember being devastated when I found out he wasn't in brawl.

Hickz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hickz_31
I like sword characters, and I like pressuring. Roy is just a win-win for me

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I voted the Ph1r3 but it was actually because I two stocked my friends Luigi with him the first time I played the MU. Before that I would maybe take 1/10 games against his Luigi. He has since stopped playing the MU and just switches to Mario when he sees my Roy come out.

RedKnightXIII

Smash Rookie
I usually main Ike, and when characters are either A. too fast/aggressive, B. Just know how to trump ike and all his set ups. i switch to Roy for the mix up and well better character all around.
I play my favorite characters, i don't play for OP or else id play shiek instead of roy.

Btw Shiek is only OP in a good players hands otherwise, shes decently easy to handle.

Roy_Leif

Smash Rookie
I've been maining Roy since Melee, and when he left Brawl I was not to happy about it. I'm glad he came back.

Tael_LInk

Smash Rookie
I love his playstyle and combo ability. I feel better (and get rewarded for) actually getting in people's faces. But he also has a solid defensive game. He feels like the perfect blend between defense and offense, which I like.

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
Where's the option for "all of the above"?

I love the aggressive/pressure playstyle mixed with good spacing.

I like Roy's game and he is one of my mains in PM(never played Melee but I think I'd use him there too).

I did want to play as Marth more in this game but he just feels meh. I like playing as swordsmen and the tipper mechanic is cool, so having a hilt mechanic is nice too.

I like Roy's new design and he's easily top 5 favorite Smash characters of all time.

Then, of course, teh ph1r3 is pretty awesome.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
He's really fun and he covers matchups that I don't like.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I just like the Fire Emblem franchise in general. Roy just feels like one of those characters that I can really get into...or it could be that I just like sword fighters in general.

RoyMaBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Minecrafter620
3DS FC
0044-3464-8959
For me, Roy just looks and plays WAY cooler than Mar-Mar and Lucy.

Institutionalized

Smash Rookie
I always liked that Roy felt more grounded than Marth in Melee. I like Melee Marth but I could never get used to his floatiness in combos, while I could pull them off with Roy really well. I love his redesign in 4 since it's got so much emphasis on speed and rushdown.

Also, I loved Fire Emblem 6 and am apparently one of the only people who thought Roy was perfectly fine as a unit and way more interesting as a character than Marth.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I just find him really fun to play and overall I think he's a really cool character. Kinda why I play all the FE characters in general really lol.

Doc Sarcasm

Smash Rookie
I loved his underdog personality in melee so when he was brought back I just had to play him again.

ChibiChan12

Smash Cadet
I loved Roy in Melee, so after so long he finally made his return in SSB4 I just had to play him again. :4feroy:

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
I completely missed Brawl growing up, so the only experience I had with Smash was 64 and Melee. Roy feels really good in the hands of Old School Smash player and I just stuck with him.

Sethlon's Matches in PM also inspired me quite a bit getting back into the game.

Red-White

Smash Apprentice
I often times relate smash to art in a few different senses that a lot of players have very different "artstyles" to the point where you can sometimes look at game play and tell who's playing. Smash could also be related to art in my eyes in the sense that, when in comparison to other fighting games, instead of testing your discipline, it tests your creativity. Characters in smash can be thought of as different tools for making art. In my eyes Roy is fairly minimalistic. (Swordsman, no projectiles, etc.) So it feels like within Roy's boundaries I can test my own creativity more. Also I just think he's a good character. Definitely underrated.

I really hope this makes any sense at all.

Last edited:

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Honestly, I only played Brawl as a kid and learned mid-way through my 3 year break from Smash as a whole after my Wii broke that Roy was a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I had started playing Fire Emblem games at this time after wondering where Marth had come from, and stumbled across Binding Blade and completed it alongside Rekka No Ken several times and Sacred Stones even more than that. I waited for quite some time and a lot of bothering from my parents to finally get Sm4Sh, and eventually I got it. Then Roy got announced for Sm4sh and I got him a few days ago, and oh my is he quite the fun character to utilize.

solobeatz

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrotherFortified
I jumped around the Fire Emblem cast a while before landing on Shulk. I stuck with him, and didn't even give Roy a chance after he was available. I messed around with Roy last Friday and FREAKED OUT!

He is the swordie I've been hunting for! Sure, I still love my British scientist wielding a time-based sword, but as far as competitive goes, I think Roy is gonna be my boy...(even after this Cloud hype-dust settles)

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I didn't really like Roy in melee that much, but in Smash 4 he's definitely better with lots of changes making him more different than Marth. He is much more fun to play in Smash 4 than he was in melee.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I played him in Melee over Marth (since most of my friends used Marth and I wanted a degree of uniqueness), loved him in PM, and was happy to see him come back in Smash 4 and he's actually really good. I tend to use a couple of sword characters each game, Brawl I used Meta Knight and Marth, Melee I used Roy, PM I use Roy and Meta Knight, and Smash 4 I use Meta Knight and Roy again. Roy is just fun because of his fast attacks and his moves have a nice balance between high power KO options, utility moves, and low knockback combo potential moves.

BlazinSatan

Smash Rookie
NNID
xxSaintStabZxx
Mostly because of his speed on land and in the air. I tend to be better with fast dahers, fast fallers

Top Bottom