• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main Zamus?

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
When did this became a "What does Samus does in her free time?" thread? >.<
Well I asked a question and got answered? xD

I dunno man, it sparked some convo fuel which isn't always bad.

I saw her aerial frame data and was really jealous so I started playing her and didn't stop.

If I could auto-cancel a F-air that covers my entire front while being disjointed, I'd be even more happy, Marth being one of the rare characters that can geometrically cover his entire hurtbox with an disjointed hitbox on both air and ground. With the ability to keep poking at shields safely if he is very well spaced.

This is actually the reason I play him so often, but alas his lack of projectile and combos seem to be way much to pay despite being able to get kills at ~75%. I see power in the Marth that players feel is lost. His brickwalling is pretty good imho.

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I don't think you're ready for this jelly

TheTwistedHero

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheTwistedHero
I went through a bit of a crisis after a brief hiatus from smash (life stuff). I was getting rocked, so i just chose to pick up the woman, and i decided to cave faces into pieces after falling in love with her upB kills (so satisfying)

Kesno

Smash Cadet
I'll keep it simple
1. A character that has a option for every situation.
2. A character that is best used to control the other guy, so she promotes smart play.
3. Works with my playstyle or works with a playstyle I want to have.
4. She can work in three different modes: Defensive, Passive Aggressive, and Aggressive and I like to switch out of those off and on to promote mix ups.
6. I generally like to use her to make the person I'm playing feel bad or make them mad by just being an a** to them when I'm playing to troll.
7. She is my favorite character in a video game
8. Hot lady enough said

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I'll keep it simple
1. A character that has a option for every situation.
2. A character that is best used to control the other guy, so she promotes smart play.
3. Works with my playstyle or works with a playstyle I want to have.
4. She can work in three different modes: Defensive, Passive Aggressive, and Aggressive and I like to switch out of those off and on to promote mix ups.
6. I generally like to use her to make the person I'm playing feel bad or make them mad by just being an a** to them when I'm playing to troll.
7. She is my favorite character in a video game
8. Hot lady enough said
Reminds me that I really like having <60 second FG matches because I can kill at 45%

Octavium

That's a really good description of the character, not a fan of your #6 though, only be an A$$ to those who are already A$$ES. The community is being poisoned enough as it is.

I'd say ZSS's weakness seem to be her grounded hitbox positions. Being a woman with smaller shoulder/hip ratio than your typical male Joe Shmoe, she ends up being a bit disproportionate as a fighter, making her jab have short-ish reach relative to her height, she also extends her foot forward making her more vulnerable (Why??? I'm a Muay Thai fighter and I see no advantage to this, is it because of the HEELS?).

Her grounded hitboxes doesn't cover her hurtbox too well imo, except for that epic dash attack. The Up-tilt having invincible legs really helps though.

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
To style on people. Everything she does is so smooth, plus she has the Falcon effect where when she punishes she punishes hard and make sure her opponent is in as much pain as they can be

Octavium

To style on people. Everything she does is so smooth, plus she has the Falcon effect where when she punishes she punishes hard and make sure her opponent is in as much pain as they can be
Yeah, like Falcon's, Zamus's dash grab is incredible and delivers some really harsh punishes. Hell its even good at setting up for an escalator death combo.

She has plenty of style with those D-smash setups, her zoning is great, but I feel like she needs alot of room to breathe to zone properly, so stage control is a big thing for her.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I like the range. That's about it though. Her grab is really good at trapping landings too.

Last edited:

Octavium

ZSS's dash grab is terrible... stop...
:GCR:+:GCZ: (Cover 40% of FD in 29 frames) Sure 29 frames is way within the realm of human reaction but keep in mind the crazy distance it covers for landings, If compared to the entire cast this is way far above average.

Terrible against top tiers with top players? ....Likely
Terrible in general? ....Ah helllll Naww!!

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
:GCR:+:GCZ: (Cover 40% of FD in 29 frames) Sure 29 frames is way within the realm of human reaction but keep in mind the crazy distance it covers for landings, If compared to the entire cast this is way far above average.

Terrible against top tiers with top players? ....Likely
Terrible in general? ....Ah helllll Naww!!
Why wouldn't you base how good/bad something is on if it works on top-tier-playing top-players?
Side-b is good against bad players... the move still sucks...

No it really isnt that bad in a lot of matchups
Please enlighten me.

David Viran

Smash Lord
It's still good at trapping landings in top level play. Just saying. As a grab it sucks but it's not useless.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
It's still good at trapping landings in top level play. Just saying. As a grab it sucks but it's not useless.
If most good characters didn't have a way to extend their air time, Bouncing Fish, Monkey Flip, Green Missile, etc, or a long projectile, TJolt, Fireball, Needles, I'd agree... but most characters can land in a way where grab is VERY HARD to land. Trust me, it was the basis for my gameplay for a couple of months before people realized they could do these things.

Well, im not saying its a good grab but its still long and can out range attacks
What attacks? In what positioning?

David Viran

Smash Lord
If most good characters didn't have a way to extend their air time, Bouncing Fish, Monkey Flip, Green Missile, etc, or a long projectile, TJolt, Fireball, Needles, I'd agree... but most characters can land in a way where grab is VERY HARD to land. Trust me, it was the basis for my gameplay for a couple of months before people realized they could do these things.

Everything you mentioned are not real get out of jail free cards. For alot of them after using them they still have to land unless you commited to something. Grab also isn't very risky in those situations either.

Octavium

Please don't fuel the fire to a debate that doesn't even need to happen, sure we probably haven't been through the tournaments you did, and we most likely don't have your experience. I'm sure you're in the right, since you're probably fighting players that can constantly deal with ZSS's dash grab like its nothing.

YET, when I even MENTIONED that I thought ZSS's dash grab was good, you answered in a bratty way. No arguments AT ALL as to why you think its terrible, so naturally we will give arguments as to why ZSS's grabs have been successful to us. There's no need to be blunt.

Thanks for the arguments, it helps, now we know more about her Dash Grab's difficulties. I still don't think its completely terrible, but I'll let my experience determine that for myself.

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux

Generally I have the mindset going into each game, "Hell yea, imma use grab more. Less grab life and my opponents by the balls and make the magic happen." And then things go according to plan and I get two or three grabs and I feel like a savant among savages.

Then I whiff a grab and die for it. And I get knocked out of losers bracket and I ask myself why I'm a savage among savants.

But I keep doing it for one simple reason - If I can get them to do those things you mention, they aren't shielding. If they aren't shielding, I can try to boost kick them.

In a perfect world, I kill them before they kill me. Doesn't always work out that way, but it makes sense in my mind as to why things should be played that way. That doesn't necessarily mean grab is good. Actually this strategy would work a whole lot better if our grab was good lol

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I didn't realize that I needed to explain why something slower than human reaction time is bad... I figured that statement alone would be enough.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Our grab is pretty ****ty. The only advantage I can think of is that the additional range makes uncharged laser > grab possible for the full laser range.

NeoSeth

Smash Cadet
I originally picked her up because she had rocket heels. And they're awesome.

Her air game is rediculous and I love how she can pressure people. She has a lot of moves that are flat-out "good" and with easy-to-see applications but she also has a ton of tricks she can use. She's quick and her moves are also flashy, so I feel like a boss even when I'm not playing super well. Her mobility is just so good and she still manages to hit like a truck. I also never feel like I just don't have the tools to deal with a situation when I play as her; if I'm getting rekt, I have no problem accepting that it's my fault and I need to figure out how to use my kit better. And that kind of sums up why I use her in that one sentence; I feel like I can beat anyone and do anything.

Of course, I don't. T_T I've got a ways to go.

Octavium

I originally picked her up because she had rocket heels. And they're awesome.
Really? I actually used to think that the rocket heels were pure cancer... and I kinda still do. But I learnt to deal with it. It strikes me as terrible because Samus is a person who would prefer functionality over anything else. And the heels do quite the opposite, they're many other more functional designs for jet boots.

But I completely understand why they look cool.

I'm not a fan of the Zero Suit, but classic Samus is slow and floaty... and campy and everything bad about a smash game.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Really? I actually used to think that the rocket heels were pure cancer... and I kinda still do. But I learnt to deal with it. It strikes me as terrible because Samus is a person who would prefer functionality over anything else. And the heels do quite the opposite, they're many other more functional designs for jet boots.

I'm not a fan of the Zero Suit, but classic Samus is slow and floaty... and campy and everything bad about a smash game.
I hope to God that a topic like this doesn't come back up because there were sooooooo many of those kinds of threads about jet heels and all that before the game came out. There annoying now. Not saying you were starting anything tho.

NeoSeth

Smash Cadet

I think you need to relax a bit on the anti-Zero Suit attitude haha. I understand you being upset about it; I'm not a fan of over-sexualizing women either, and I ESPECIALLY don't want Samus being reduced to a pretty face (I don't think Nintendo would ever do that though... I mean, the only Wii Metroid game we got was Prime 3 and that was awesome, right?), but I feel like the suit isn't as bad as people say it is, provided it doesn't become the primary way we see Samus.

First of all, the idea of a skin-tight suit allowing for maximum movement and mobility within the Power Suit isn't all that bad. I've always sort of imagined the Zero Suit was so tight because it basically functioned as a second skin and connected her neural pathways to the Power Suit (Or whatever... yaddayadda made-up science). As for the rocket heels... THEY'RE AWESOME. Can you imagine kicking someone and then your foot just EXPLODES at them? They also boost her around, giving her crazy mobility in Smash 4, which I could see being useful should they be incorporated into the Metroid universe. I would hope the heels were collapsible or something similar; permanent heels are impractical regardless, but if they could be switched on/off I think that would be sooooo rad. They're my favorite change to anyone's design in Smash 4.

Then there's the whole "Samus is now crazy beautiful" thing. I honestly like that a LOT. She's still more ripped than Wii Fit Trainer, and while I do wish she was a bit more muscular, the idea of a drop-dead gorgeous woman being inside the power suit intrigues me. If you read the manga, in the first chapter Samus talks to herself and mentions how her body makes her feel out-of-place. I love that. She has a body that would be considered beautiful in society and hardly looks the part of the super-tough bounty hunter (Aside from being jacked), but she still fulfills the role better than anyone. Being part-Chozo and a warrior isolates her, so being beautiful gets her none of the benefits it would if she was a normal citizen. She's also abnormally tall (6'3" if I recall correctly, so if Nintendo ever makes a game where she stands next to other people I'm sure she'll be noticeably taller than them), which again makes her beauty intriguing and other-worldly. Provided it isn't taken too far and we don't get full-on ecchi-style fanservice, the idea of Samus simutaneously being a gorgeous woman and silent, tough-as-nails bounty hunter is something that really appeals to me.

Last edited:

Octavium

As for the rocket heels... THEY'RE AWESOME. Can you imagine kicking someone and then your foot just EXPLODES at them?
Rocket boots as a concept are pretty cool though, don't get me wrong.
And yes, the Zero Suit itself being skin tight is nothing wrong, its in fact a good idea. It allows you to move around and use any technique without clothes holding you back. A uniform would've been cool though.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Because she's sexy.

And I chose her as a secondary because unlike Sheik she can kill ridiculously early off the top with her Up B, and she has confirmed setups that could lead to that, and it's extremely satisfying. She's also fun to play aggressively.. not sure what else lol

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
I Like playing as Zero Suit Samus because her mobility is awesome for the most part, fun kill moves that people don't see coming when they think another attack is going to hit them, also see her as a stealth character that will catch you by surprise when you don't see it coming or had any idea it could happen in my opinion. She is a fearless having to fight without the power suit having to overcoming overwhelming odds since the suit made her heavy meaning need to overcome heavy hits. She will do anything to take out any target and get the job done and very influential as a character proving that either gender can do overwhelming odds as long as they put effort, but that's just me.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
- She's the only fast character I like playing as. Sheik's okay, but, my God, it is impossible to KO as her.

- I like her attacks. Because doing a 360 kick to the face mid-air is the best thing ever.

- Big Metroid fan here (still waiting for this Metroid hiatus to end!)

- Waifu fuel

DragonBall_Zack

Smash Cadet
I originally mained normal Samus but she didn't feel right so I did the next best thing and switched to Zero Suit (not to mention Metroid is my favourite video game series).

iDreamTheater

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iDreamTheater
3DS FC
5472-7184-0561
Huge Metroid fan first of all. In brawl I was awful with both variations of Samus. The changes they made to both characters (or maybe just my improvement in Smash overall) allowed me to get the hang of them.

It's nice to finally have a main that's considered among the best :)

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
When I was like 10 my brother got Brawl, since he had played Melee a bit with friends. At the time two of my favorite GBA games were Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission, so I used Samus. But everytime I used her Final Smash I turned into Zero Suit Samus, and I was terrible with Zero Suit Samus. So I went to training mode and spent a ton of time practicing with her. I then realized that I actually loved using Zero Suit Samus way more than Samus, and completely dropped normal Samus.

Seriously, the hours I spent on WarioWare dthrow>uair juggling Donkey Kong....

Last edited:

hiROI

Smash Lord
I played Peach in Brawl and wanted to pick her up again in Sm4sh. I realized the frustration that came with maining a midtier character that could not kill, so I picked up ZSS. And ever since then, ZSS has been my main chick.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
im a brawl zss main and samus is awesome

so zss main again

also i see some familiar faces from ye olden days here

Glyphagos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphagos
3DS FC
0490-7952-6058
I main ZSS for a variety of reasons,

When I had bought SSB4 (It's my first Smash game) Zamus was the first character I chose, I didn't use armored-samus first because well I loved Zero Mission and I think it would have been a tribute to my younger days, another reason too was because I generally dislike having to rely on a campy playstyle in a fighting game, Using ZSS was like doing something straight out of a Bruce Lee movie. I love to use fists and kicks (Maybe sometimes a shot here and there) but yeah.

When I thought I had used ZSS and Samus enough, I tried to learn and to do other characters and they just did not work out for me. I thought that this was fate telling me that I am destined to continue using her and so I have. I've been through a lot of hell by using her and this has made me feel more connected to my main.

Finally as NeoSeth put it, that is how I generally view Samus. for me I respect and love the Military and it has continued to be a subject of mine to study, Samus as a beautiful female soldier (formerly soldier though) intrigues me deeply.

finally. She just feels so right to use, I can't explain how satisfying it is to just simply rush down and style.

she's my wife (I refuse to call the term "Waifu" since it sounds too weebish. No offense to any anime/otaku fans out there, I'm just not into anime.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom