• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Main Yoshi?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I felt like my boi could get one of these sorts of threads.

Normally I'd give you a demonstration of MY reasons, but..... I think I can trust y'all to get the gist of why I main him

Anyways, let out your stories of ending up with the perpetually hungry dinosaur :yoshi:

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
Personally, because I just naturally love the character-being someone I grew up with.

Him being a fast, moderately strong heavy with a decent projectile suits my playstyle a ton, which just makes me play him even more

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi and Banjo-Kazooie were pretty much the first few games I played. One is in smash so doesn't hurt to main them. Still love his playstyle, just wish he was good.

Optihus9657

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
Even though I don't main Yoshi in Ultimate, he is undoubtedly my favorite smash character by far. I love his blissful, happy personality. He plays so fast and unorthodox compared to any character in the game. I remember being a young kid when melee came out, and always wanting to play as him but I never could figure him out. I never took the time either cuz of all the other games that I enjoyed at that age. I always played him in Mario Kart (Double Dash specifically) and Mario Party! I remember being able to ride a Yoshi in Super Mario Sunshine, and finding it hilarious that he could extend his tongue so far to eat fruit. I got heavy into Brawl with my friend group when I graduated high school, and ended up using him to finally figure out what he could do if I really put some time into learning him. He sparked so much imagination and creativity into something I never thought could be so in-depth. All while keeping his positive, bubbly charm he made playing smash so exciting in the days of struggling to learn how to play at least some-what competitively. I owe so much to him keeping my interest in smash even when I would lose online so often at first.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I will pick up Yoshi in Smash Ultimate simply because he's one of my favorite Nintendo characters. Probably top 5 if someone told me to make a Top 10 Nintendo characters list. Yoshi was also one of my characters in Melee!

I've been recently wanting to get moreso back into the Kirby/Zelda/Yoshi games and the way I have to in order to do that is by 3DS. Although I'll be really impressed if any of the modern Yoshi games manage to surpass Yoshi's Story for the Nintendo 64. That'd be an impressive feat imo. Now that is in my Top 5 N64 games.

DrakeekarD

Smash Rookie
I main Yoshi because he is my favorite Nintendo character. Played him since Smash 64. For some reason Yoshi just works for me. That little dino has gotten me through some tough challenges with the Smash series.

mecklejay

Smash Rookie
Well, I've always been fond of the Mario characters. I mained Mario himself in Brawl and Sm4sh. Something about getting KOs with him didn't click with me this time around, though. I've always put a lot of emphasis on my air game, so when I went to replace Mario, I had to ask...who's a Mushroom Kingdom resident with a strong air game? The Yo'ster!

I stick to the dark blue skin, because (1) Mario World was the game that got me into games, and blue Yoshi gets wings in that game by eating any color Koopa shell, and (2) Yoshi's Island is my favorite game and dark blue Yoshi fights all of the world bosses in that game (excepting Baby Bowser himself).

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I main Yoshi for 3 reasons big reasons:

1. He is one of my favorite video game characters and easily my favorite Mario character. He is just so lovable and endearing and I never get tired of seeing the little dinosaur in games.

2. I love his movement. Ever since Smash 4, his air speed feels so good and it is just fun jumping around the stage with Yoshi. It also helps that his aerials are great too. There are many characters that I want to like, but I cannot get into because their movement is so awkward for me, such as Greninja and Ryu. I have none of those problems with Yoshi. He fits my play style like a dream.

3. There are several characters that I rely on only a few moves with. With Yoshi, I use every move in his kit because almost all of his moves are useful... except that awful side B. I always find myself changing up the way I play with Yoshi, which not only makes him more fun to use for me, but also because I can throw my opponent off by going defensive in one round, and then going aggressive the next.

There are other reasons, but those are my biggest ones.

I actually didn’t main Yoshi until late in Smash 4’s life because I was a Kirby and Pikachu main in Melee and Brawl and I was having too much fun with Pac-Man when Smash 4 first came out. I didn’t even use him that much until 4 came out, but when I picked him up, there was something about him that drew me in. In Ultimate, he felt a little different at first, but I fell right back in to him because I find him so fun and satisfying to use. He, along with Pac-Man and Palutena, are my three favorite characters to play as in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Personal: Yoshi is green, my favorite Nintendo character, & he's so frickin' cute. Anyone who hates Yoshi is simply not a decent person in my book. LOOK AT HIM! He's adorable to the max.

Game-play: I've always been a fan of playing him the most from Brawl 'till now. I dabbled with him only a bit in 64 & Melee, but never went to town with him. He's always been there for me as a Secondary & I don't regret that, but I couldn't but feel being on the backburner for years wasn't justice for the dinosaur. So I finally told myself that no matter how good or bad he'd play in Ultimate, I WILL primary the character. And turns out, he's pretty good!

My favorite thing to do of all-time in this game is DEFINITELY Egg Lay near ledge. If I read their ledge-option, or bait them into approaching with something punishable through whatever means necessary, I will. Once the first Egg Lay succeeds, I simply drift back & Egg Lay their jump out-of-egg-break to leave them drifting away, dying as breakfast. Nothing feels more satisfying than that to me. Even players I've players against have said,

"Nothing feels more demoralizing than dying as an egg."

LOL

k1wi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0517-7487-4596
I just have always loved Yoshi and when I picked him up as a character in smash he just felt really good to play with and his air mobility is what convinced me to continue playing as him. He’s also just the cutest thing you’ll ever see and I just couldn’t imagine maining anyone else besides him. He’s forever my favorite Nintendo character.

Nair_Jordan

Smash Rookie
Been rolling with Yoshi since SNES days it's a nostalgia thing mostly. Along those lines It feels like you can pick up nearly any smash game and feel like have a handle on him quickly. He is always my first main in a new smash game. Gameplay wise though, it might seem counter-intuitive bc his jump, but once you understand the limitations, he is very simple, and almost relaxing to use. His ground and air speeds are virtually identical which makes him feel very smooth and mobile. His moveset is quick and versatile and super satisfying to combo with since you can pull off some dope combos without having to monitor opponent damage windows etc. He's also pretty heavy and hard to combo. In the past this was why he was my stoner character of choice, but now that he has imporved so much it will be interesting to try and take him seriously.

btw
He is also a top level cheeser too. Everyone knows that sometimes online matches devolve into **** shows and Yoshi is NOT someone that you want to trifle with lol. Encasing opponents in eggs offstage is obviously the ULTIMATE OWNAGE! But feeding a spamming Belmont or Samus a full course meal of green eggs while they are offstage slowly trying to DI back only to be (insert air attack here) to oblivion is pretty great too.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
My first contact with Yoshi was in Mario Kart: Super Circuit. At first I didn't really care about him and always used Luigi. But then, I played Mario Party for the first time his innocent nature and cuteness made me love the character. After that, I would almost always choose Yoshi in every game he's playable.

Also, I find myself liking all around characters that can do everything and Yoshi fits the bill pretty well. That makes him pretty unique, since his playstile and prefered stages are different in every MU.

Last edited:

Lunar Eclipse

Smash Rookie
The very first game I ever played was Super Mario World for the SNES and Yoshi was my favorite part of the game. I played him in Mario Party, Mario Kart, and all the other games that had him. Been maining him since 64.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I main Yoshi because I love Yoshi. He is my favorite video game character, and he has been my favorite video game character since the early 1990s. I like the fact that he is cute, that he is a dinosaur, that he is always eating things, and that he is always using eggs. I also like his personality. Also, green is my favorite color, and the main Yoshi is green. Whenever he is a playable character in a game, I always choose him. (For example: choosing him in Mario Party games, Olympic games, Smash games, etc.) I just find Yoshi to be awesome in general, and I like everything about him. He is just such a lovable character.

My favorite move in Smash games is egg lay (when Yoshi puts an opponent in his mouth, swallows them, and then poops them out as an egg) -- it's my favorite move because it is Yoshi's signature move; I also like using egg lay near the edge of the platform so that the opponent falls off the stage while still inside the egg. I also like that Yoshi uses his mouth to throw opponents.

In terms of Smash games, I am a "fighter loyalist" -- that is, I will always main Yoshi in every game regardless of how many buffs or nerfs he gets, and regardless of his placement on tier lists.

Also, I like Yoshi's uniqueness -- I like that he is the only character that can use egg lay (except for a Kirby that has copied Yoshi), and that Yoshi has been the sole representative of his franchise in all 5 smash games (a trait only he and Captain Falcon have) -- though, it would be nice to get a 2nd representative. When I say "sole representative", I'm referring to the "egg symbol" that the game uses, as well as the "Yoshi's Story" theme that plays when Yoshi wins (instead of the "Super Mario" theme). Another unique aspect about Yoshi: he's the only fighter with his own unique shield (an egg).

Also: in terms of this post and other posts: are we talking about Yoshi in the individual, or Yoshi the species? I love both, but oftentimes people will say "Yoshi is [fill-in-the-blank]". Are they talking about the most well-known Yoshi (i.e. the green Yoshi that appears in most games), or are they talking about Yoshis plural (i.e. all Yoshis within the Yoshi species)? It's worth noting that a variety of different Yoshis (blue Yoshis, yellow Yoshis, black Yoshis, etc.) have different personalities and abilities.

Side note: I'm not happy with a certain meme -- a certain meme which could be considered an attack on Yoshi's image (defamation / making fun of him). I don't like the fact that whenever Yoshi is brought up in a conversation these days, the only thing people talk about is that bleeping meme (it has become far too viral). In YouTube videos about Yoshi, the majority of comments in the comments section are about this stupid meme, and not about the video itself. The meme may be an extension of Yoshi hate (and Yoshi haters).

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Yoshi and Banjo-Kazooie were pretty much the first few games I played. One is in smash so doesn't hurt to main them. Still love his playstyle, just wish he was good.
This is beautiful to read now.

I just love Yoshi, he's my second favorite Mario character after Bowser.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This is beautiful to read now.
This reminded me to check if the site added his stock icon yet and they have.

I am now a Banjo-kazooie main btw guys, sorry. I've earned my stars tho, over 20 years being a yoshi main and 11 years competitive yoshi main. Good enough. Shall try out B-K and have Joker/Yoshi on the side.

Abe 'n Munchie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7902 4638 1107
Absolutely loved playing Yoshi in Melee and Brawl! He's so much fun to mess around with!

Also gotta' say that Green Hungry Dinosaur is very, very adorable! Lovin' that big round nose! :yoshimelee:

:yoshi:

leppy

Smash Cadet
The reason is also pretty much why I'm playing again in the first place, my school is participating in a county-wide SSBU tournament and I didn't know where my copy of Brawl was. I used to be a Pokémon Trainer main but eventually just kind of stopped playing SSB, so I lost my copy of Brawl years ago. Just found it today, actually...
So, because I didn't have Pokémon Trainer to, well, train with and that copy of SSBU didn't have PT unlocked, I just played as Yoshi because I really like Yoshis and did pretty good. So I got home and trained with Yoshi on 64 given that I don't own a Switch myself, let alone a copy of Ultimate, and while it's not perfectly analogous I figured it's better than nothing. Eventually I got so out-of-practice with PT and so in-practice with Yoshi that I just kind of switched over at some point. At this point I'd be at a loss to play PT again...
Also, I try to play with a red yoshi whenever possible, mainly so that I can spot myself quickly on greenish backgrounds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom