• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Main Who You Do?

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
As a person trying to find a main, it would be really helpful and interesting to find out why everybody mains who they do.

Hametz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2724-2872-6141
I like Mario because he is one of those all around characters. He's got good speed, a good recovery, and a useful set of tools. He was the first character I picked up, and I don't ever plan on dropping him.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I am a:4mario:main in every main installment of the Smash Bros. series, because I really do love his games, his all-around playstyle (making him able to adapt to any different kinds of situations) and his reward of optimizing this character to its fullest potential. This character so fun to watch (Zenyou cough cough) and to play due to his amazing & creative combo game. So basically I am a Mario loyalist. Love this character to depth in every game.

Last edited:

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
I main :4lucario: because he felt natural when I picked him up in brawl. His movement just fits, his grabs do exactly what I want, and his rarity online makes him a bit special to me. I enjoy the fact that I have to be careful with him at high percent since I can be killed with 1 smash attack, throw, counter, ect you name it. But to get rewarded for seeing it and have the opportunity to kill early for such a risk is satisfying to me. I feel the most comfortable and have the most fun playing :4lucario: because of this.

In short play the character you enjoy and everything else happens naturally.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Main characters
  • :rosalina: - other than Luma pissing off opponents with things like up air, I think the queen of time-space is probably the most technical character I want to get into. Needless to say, my technical skill is **** but it's her 5-star learning curve that inspires me to work on that, so...
  • :4lucina: - 'cause she has a sword. Besides that, I think she is a bit more all-rounder compared to :4marth: and looks to be one of the less tricky characters I want to get into.

Secondary characters
  • :4peach: - liked her since her debut in Melee. The same as Rosalina, another character who requires a good bit of tech skill to excel with, which is what I am looking for.
  • :4bowserjr: - just because he is here, and yet another hard-to-master character I want to get into.

Tertiary characters
  • :4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun: - just because they're customizable to one's liking. Personally, all my Miis are female fighters. Now, if Sakurai and the gang hadn't released DLC costumes like Viridi or Ashley or Isabelle or even the Inkling outfits, I wouldn't have thought much about Miis and would have picked :4darkpit: and :4shulk: as tertiaries instead.

Last edited:

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
Luigi ! :4luigi:

The reason is simple, it's because I've always liked Luigi in all the games he appears. He is also shy, obliging and cranky, just as me. XD
I also like his strenghts and weaknesses, using very powerful moves that sometimes land because of luck, he is also quite balanced in his stats (He has low Air Speed but I handle it), his weaknesses makes also him appearing as a poor man you complain. x)

Wario ! :4wario:

My secondary, having some trouble with some characters despite knowing the matchups agaisnt all the characters, so I had to change some aspects of my play-style. But the reason I chosed him was because Wario is wacky as Luigi, he use a very powerful move that need some patience to use it and a Bike (WTF ...? XD) that pops out of no where to fight and move fast. Compared to Luigi, he is very versatile and has good stats but you need a lot of practice to use him at full potential.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
:rosalina: I *loved* Super Mario Galaxy and liked Rosalina's character. When I first saw her trailer for Smash 4, I thought she looked like a super interesting character who would be hard to learn but fun to play and effective. I like zoning playstyles and having tools that are annoying for opponents. During E3 2014 I looked forward to watching her more than any other character. Bill Trinen kicked some tail with her.

So when I first got the 3DS, I played as Mario vs. a level 9 Bowser CPU. I did this out of tradition - I did the very same thing the first day Melee came out in 2001.

But for my 2nd game played on 3DS, I used Rosa. Quickly I figured how she was good and I liked playing with her. And I never looked back.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
:4corrinf:-Fire Emblem is my favorite series hands down. Corrin felt soo natural to me when I downloaded her and played her and my reaction was everyones reaction to cloud.

:rosalina:- Honestly, I don't know. I liked Mario Galaxy, but I never loved it as a top 10 game. I really enjoy her puppet style

eggsplosiveguy

Smash Rookie
:4yoshi:- When I was a little kid my parents brought me a Yoshi doll (about the same time when brawl was out), so I played him at Brawl (I was a casual at that game). When smash 4 came out I guess it was just natural to play him, and as I got into the competitive side of this game, Yoshi fit into my playstyle (or I fit into his playstyle, dunno). I like to rush down my opponents, and Yoshi lets me do that.

Secondaries
:4mario::4cloud:- I first picked Mario up messing around with characters. I love how Mario is the perfect all rounder, and how his combo game is like no other. Mario lets me do hard reads, disrespect my opponents or simply play safe. Also, I got into competitive Smash around Evo 2016, so I guess Ally inspired me too. Cloud is actualyy the only character I picked up to cover bad MUs, but I actually really like his playstyle.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I play Lucina because she's my favourite character. I don't need any more reasons.

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
I play Mario because I love the character, his playstyle, and I feel comfortable playing him (most other characters feel awkward).

Steegan

Smash Rookie
I've mained Robin for a long time because I love his projectile and grab game (imo plays like Bowser but slow and has lasers), but I've switched to Luigi a few months ago. When I play Luigi, as long as I feel it makes sense to use, I find use in all of his moves. I feel free when I play the character, and I feel a natural high whenever I get a massive string with Luigi, whereas when I get an arcthunder or checkmate confirm I don't feel that same buzz.

Luigi's just fun.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
:4palutena: HUGE fan of KI: Uprising, so when she was announced I had already made up my mind on who I was going to main. Despite her obvious flaws in the game, I still enjoy playing as her. Having said that, I am by no means a tournament player; I just enjoy the challenge of preparing my foes to meet the light ;)

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'll try to answer this the best I can...

:4dedede: King Dedede
In truth I've originally mained Kirby since the original Smash 64.

I was a huge fan (and still am) of the Kirby series since I was a kid. Kirby was a main that stuck with me through out all of the Smash games; however I didn't start ACTUALLY learning things till Smash U despite my countless years of playing Smash.

To be honest, I don't really know how or why I exchanged Kirby for King Dedede despite staying with him for so long. Even more baffling I absolutely despised King Dedede in Brawl. I hated how he played and he was one of those characters I did awful with. For some reason though I began to like him in Smash U and he began to stick with me. Eventually I was playing him non-stop and began to enjoy him a ton. Perhaps it was his Bait and Punish nature, or maybe it was the range his hammer gave him.

Either way, I do regret phasing out of Kirby for King Dedede but at the same time don't regret learning him at all.

:4rob: ROB
This one is a lot easier. I'm a retro nerd, plain and simple.

I loved Mr. Game & Watch in Melee and Brawl, and I loved ROB to death in Brawl as well. In fact, I even flipped out when Pac-Man and Duck Hunt were revealed. I was even DESPERATE to main Duck Hunt. Sadly I was just an absolute terrible Duck Hunt, and same goes for being really bad at Pac-Man; however ROB has stuck with me since his Brawl reveal and I love him.

I sadly phased out of Mr. Game & Watch though, but still use him from time to time. He just doesn't feel the same.

:4bayonetta: Bayonetta
In truth, I have always been seeking out at least one Top Tier character I can use.

None of the Top Tiers I really liked or didn't sit well with me. A lot of them were just... Really uninteresting to me, but then Bayonetta happened. I was also determined to main her when she was revealed and released but ended up dropping her at some point due to the massive Witch Hunt she received. I couldn't take the hate anymore that she received on For Glory. Having everyone ragequit, insult you, copy you, and just get plain salty over and over did not make the game fun for me at all. It was annoying.

After her massive nerf though, I decided to pick her up again. Even better, she got ranked as Top Tier.

The thing that I love most about her is her air combo game. I tend to love the air-style fighters the most and she just feels perfect to me. Of course I still get people who ragequit or spill the salt when I use her but I've learned to stop caring since then. I've been pouring my heart and soul into learning her and how to be a great Bayonetta player. Her cheekiness is also a bonus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from these facts, there's also some similarities these three tend to share:

- Each one has AT LEAST one projectile they can use
- All of them have pretty great recoveries (in terms of being able to recover from almost anywhere)
- Each has average run speed at best

... Just to name a few. Also sorry for the long post. You're a trooper if you read through all of this!

Last edited:

Dripple

Smash Cadet
NNID
qugasl09
3DS FC
1693-5939-6738
Man. We are so alike I main :4pacman: because his round body is so plump and juicey. EmbarrassEmbarrass. So hot...

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I main Mario because I like his games, I main Jigglypuff because she's my favorite Pokémon.

I am a simple man.

PwnerTex

Smash Rookie
NNID
PwnerTex
3DS FC
0387-8828-1338
My main man Villager has been with me since the 3ds demo. I like how he's a good mix between projectiles and physical. Also he's not fast and I hate fasts.
I'm trying to main Roy because he looks cool.

Last edited:

GoodMorningEspeon

Smash Rookie
NNID
senespeon9069
3DS FC
4167-4732-5506
:4villagerf: Cute character, been playing since the 3DS demo days. Although back then I really wasn't too good at the game and just threw out moves, now I've learned and now enjoy her zoning playstyle.

I tried playing a lot of characters since Smash 4 came out and never really got a set-in-stone secondary. Currently, I'm using a lot more of :4marth:(mostly because of the MKLeo bandwagon haha) as well as :4corrinf:, who is just super fun and satisfying to use.

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
I main Mario in Melee and Sm4sh. He's overall very easy to use in both games. In Brawl I main Sonic due to his speed and his fast pace is reminiscent of Melee.

UpsettedFizz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Defender5X
:4mario:: I decided to try out Mario after watching a few tutorial videos on him and hearing that he was easy to pick up. I went into training with him and tried that down throw + up tilt time x + up air times x combo, and it just felt natural to me. So I went from there and now I'm a dedicated Mario main.

:4corrinf:: After getting decent enough with Mario, I would eventually learn that he has a certain problem: his range. With his longest reaching move (that's also safe) being his back air, I found myself frequently losing to characters like Marth and Cloud. So I decided to pick up a character that had range, and after trying a few out, I stuck with Corrin. Instant Pin is one of my favorite techs in the game, I find it really useful for mixups, approaching, escaping, and a plethora of other things. I also found a place with Corrin's combo style, and really appreciate the range and tipper hitbox of fsmash (and all her moves for that matter). Corrin's also my favorite female fighter in Sm4sh.

:4luigi:: I originally picked up Luigi for fun, but like Mario, he just felt natural to me. I find it very satisfying to hit his sweetspot up B and his down taunt.

:4bowser:: I wanted to try maining a heavy character, and Bowser is who I landed with. Although he can be comboed pretty easily, I love Bowser's damage racking ability. His typical playstyle is very different from the rest of my mains, so I find it to be a nice deviation to rely on rage and hard-hitting attacks rather than combos.

I wouldn't consider any of these characters mains, exactly, but I do play as them a decent amount and have acquired some skill with them.

:4zss:: Before I started playing Sm4sh competitively, ZSS was always my go-to character. I wanted to get better with her, but it just wasn't happening because her overall movement speed is a little bit too fast for me. But all the time I spent playing as her didn't yield nothing, and having learned more about the game itself, I'm somewhat decent with ZSS, although I overshoot her grabs a lot :upsidedown:

:4charizard:: When I decided I wanted to pick up a heavy, Charizard was actually the first character I had in mind. I got decent enough with him, decided it wasn't working out the way I wanted, and went to Bowser instead. But, like with ZSS, I'm still decent enough with him. Although, I've been playing Charizard less and less lately, so I might end up dropping him altogether.

:4cloud:: Everyone has a pocket Cloud. Everyone.

:4pikachu:: I felt "called" to pick up Pikachu, so I did. I'm getting slowly better with him, but still have a long way to go before I could call him a secondary, which is what I want to do. Love the fast-paced combo style.

:4lucas:: I don't know what it is, but I just like the way Lucas feels way better than Ness. This is definitely my most "fun" character, I don't play serious as Lucas at all. I just like hitting those Bair spikes :grin:

Since Sm4sh is the only installment in the series that I've played competitively, the characters I have listed as my mains in the other games are just the ones that I enjoy playing as when I do play those games.

I want to pick up :4mewtwo: and :4peach: sometime in the future, but I think I'm going to slow down on picking up characters for now and work on my tech skill, neutral game, etc. instead.

TipO'TheMorning

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5047-5155
:4marth: because he's pretty simple IMO and fun to play. His blade keeps him nice and distanced from the opponent. Plus, he has great kill options, such as forward smash tipped, his aerials, ftilt, etc.

right now trying to pick up :4diddy: because his aerial combos are goals.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Because I'm a tier ***** /s
And I really like Void's combos, they're just too cool.

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
:4sheik: and :4marth: Sheik because when the game first came out she was the most technical character and I felt the game in general was very easy to play and I liked that Sheik required more skill to play. I also really like her fast speed so you can control the pace of the game and her toolkit allows for deep edgeguards and a great recovery. After the 1.1.5 nerfs I wasn't sure if I wanted to solo main Sheik. She is just a lot of work in every match so Marth was kind of my natural go to for a secondary. His buffs gave him decent speed and I like him the most of all the sword characters. The disjointed sword hitboxes let me play a spacing game. Plus it allows me to not be just another :4cloud: player. At least for me I think :4marth: > :4lucina: I know some people prefer Lucina bc she's a girl, and she has no sour spot and she is easier to play than :4marth: but I like that Marth takes more skill. I still think he's fairly easy to play, at least compared to Sheik and I think his tipper mechanics and slightly better range just make him a better character than Lucina. So those two characters allow me to play a rush down style or a spacing style and both are good characters with decent edgeguarding.

Nectar1ne

Smash Rookie
I main :4peach: because of floating and kicking opponents who try to get back onto the ledge, and the turnip keep-away makes it easy (in my experience) to rack up damage before moving in for the up-special. Also, nothing beats that feeling of euphoria when you grab a bob-omb.
Also because of "Oh, did I win?"

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Main:

:4lucas:
Ever since the early days of Brawl I loved playing him, so I was stoked to see him return. Sadly he was bad on release, but after the loads of buffs he has received, he now feels really natural and fluid with me. I'm kinda weird in that I often shift which secondaries I play based on the day, but Lucas will always be my go-to if they fail.

Secondaries:

:4luigi:

Elegant coming out of nowhere to become a serious tournament threat inspired me to try this plumber out again, and I haven't gone back since. His advantage state is so satisfying that it more than makes up for his neutral and disadvantage, making him fun for me to play. If I'm feeling on point, he's my best character, but he can also be quite low if I'm not really feeling it. Speaking of...

:4shulk:
Not usually a secondary character because of how much dedication you need to truly master him, but I just can't resist. Like Luigi, a rising SoCal player (Nicko in this case) inspired me to try him, and suddenly I felt natural. I don't even use most of the complex tech, but I feel like he's a serious threat in the advantage state even without it.

:4marth:/:4lucina:
I tried out Marth on a road trip (it's hard to play Lucas on a 3DS), and I loved how he played. I ended up playing him a lot, and eventually he and Lucina rose to secondary status. I could still use with some more optimization of spacing, though.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
At least for me I think :4marth: > :4lucina: I know some people prefer Lucina bc she's a girl, and she has no sour spot and she is easier to play than :4marth: but I like that Marth takes more skill. I still think he's fairly easy to play, at least compared to Sheik and I think his tipper mechanics and slightly better range just make him a better character than Lucina.
I didn't wanna have pseudo metagame discussion here, but I think saying some people prefer Lucina "because she's a girl" is oversimplifying people's choices to almost a disrespectful degree.
Also, the whole thing about him having more range is a myth. It's borderline a meme within the community to say that, now.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I main Zard because he's simple. I don't have much time to play video games, so I play him to abuse my fundamentals.

CJS2.0

Smash Rookie
NNID
cjs1993
I main Sonic because I like Sonic and I always wanted him to be a character in Smash.
For years in brawl I would only play as him and tried my best to keep up with the competitive scene with other Sonics. I obviously couldn't keep up however.. Now I main with Sonic and play as others in Smash Wii U.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:rosalina: I love her as a character and I absolutely enjoyed playing Super Mario Galaxy. She has been my only main in the three Mario Kart games she has appeared in and when she was announced for Smash, I knew I'm gonna main her. She will always be the only Mario rep I'll ever play as in Smash.
:4cloud: I enjoyed his play style a whole lot since he came out. Then I started playing Final Fantasy VII. Since then, I now have more reasons to play as him
:4link: I mained him since the good 'ol days of Smash 64 and I love the Zelda games, of course.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Ryu because I'm fascinated with his background and moves. I never played SF prior to this game. I consulted different guides on SF neutral, footsies, the fireball trap (which doesn't work in this game), crossups, the works. I drilled the SF inputs and labbed different situations where I could score surprise TSRKs. And I still feel I have a long way to go with this character, 13 months in. I truly feel my skill is my limit with this character (the potential exceptions being Bayo, Diddy and Rosa, which I feel are his only REALLY hard MUs).
Also, I like killing super early, especially with rage

Last edited:

Alpha Princess365

Smash Rookie
I'm a huge :4peach: fan. And have been for a long time. Why I chose :4peach: as a main is because in the Mario series and amongst critics she's often seen as a cheeky damsel in distress with barely any creditability (even though people don't bother looking past that) and I think Smash bros does a swell job at proving people a whole new side to Peach as a whole. It brings the character's abilities given in the series and places them in a strong light. :4peach: is so fun to use, yet extremely difficult to master. (I can make a mean :4peach: but even still, the skill it takes with her is arguably the toughest in the game) and with these two factors in makes :4: an element of surprises.

I main :4palutena: alongside :4peach: because I was a huge fan of her in the anime shorts and Uprising. I love her graceful, yet divine approach in combat. And despite being low tier she's a lot of fun. I really get a kick out of her more defensive style and her Jab, Throws and Ariels are all a blast to use/land.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Awaited Diddy patiently since Smash 64 released. Got him in Brawl, never let go.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I main nobody because no character in smash 4 stood out to me enough to make me want to play as that character more than anybody else.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
The reason I main who I main is because the playstyle of Duck Hunt resonates with me so well. I am a really defensive player so maining Duck Hunt and Lucas is a no crap.

TipO'TheMorning

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5047-5155
My mains have changed since I last posted so here I'll post again lol.

Main:
:4lucas:
He's so fun to play. He's got throw combos, nair, pk fire, pk thunder 2, rope snake... he's just so great. I got him May 1st and he's already my main. Not the best at him yet, but I feel sorta good at him.

Secondaries:

:4metaknight:
I love his attacks. Super quick, and can knock away opponents, making him very fluid and fun. Not to mention, he has one of the best recoveries in the game. I don't know how to describe him, but he's just super fun. My main problem is that he has trouble killing, but even then he has things like up-b, bair, and sometimes even down-b.

:4diddy:
He's quick and he's got easy combos like dthrow -> bair/uair, and dtilt -> u/fsmash. Bananas help to ensure the kills that he has trouble getting. I hate his recovery and the fact his aerials can't really kill, but he's still a great character nonetheless.

:4cloud:
Ah, yes. The one everyone hates. I've only just started him like I have with Lucas, but he's pretty enjoyable. I think of him as a baby between Captain Falcon and Ike - quick yet big, disjointed blows.

Characters-I-don't-really-play-but-enjoy-nonetheless:

:4mario:
Easy combos, and super fun attacks. I just love playing him. Someday, I might make him a secondary.

:4kirby:
He may not be great, sure, but he was my first main I ever had. Even though he lacks range, he has things like dair and utilt to combo, and he's still a pretty fun character even if I've moved on from him.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Greninja because he, unlike most of the cast, has most of his attacks with tiny hitboxes and sub-par damage, that forces you to play carefully and aim perfectly on the opponent. Just pray there is no lag online, because if there is a caracther that gets completely screwed up with even the smallest input delay, it's Greninja. Even the charged shuriken, and the up-air's and up-smash's multi-hits can fail to combo with themselves.
Also, despite the cool concept of a combo counter, Substitute simply sucks online. Sometimes, you become so laggy after using it that even if you do hit the opponent, he will get out of hitstun and hit you before you can follow up with an aerial.

Corrin because he is just THAT cool. Plus it's incredibly funny to counter the many, MANY scrubs that keep spamming stall-then-fall attacks.

Robin only to disrespect whoever I managed to two-stock with Greninja AND Corrin. Seriously Sakurai, how in the universe you considered that havin projectiles with limited ammo was a reason to give them one of the worst speeds in the game?

Lucina was typically used when the game lagged so much, but in the future I might use her more.
Sometimes I used Fox or Mewtwo to (try to) counterpick Spamus.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
Saw this on twitter and wanted to share it "I relate to Mac and therefore main him. My depression gets me off stage and my problems gimp me so I can never recover"

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Saw this on twitter and wanted to share it "I relate to Mac and therefore main him. My depression gets me off stage and my problems gimp me so I can never recover"
\

LOL...... i mean.... "cough cough" Like if you cry evrytime:facepalm::4littlemac:

Top Bottom