• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main or play as Roy?

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
To become a master of the match-ups with him, particularly against difficult floaties like Puff or Samus.

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
I push Roy because he's a potent upper-mid tier character as good as Yoshi, Pikachu, and IC's. Roy mains aren't experimenting with tech chasing because they think chaingrabs on spacies is one of the only things redeeming him. They don't experiment with Dreamland or Pokestadium because they're brainwashed into only trying to do well on FoD and FD. They constantly feed off SSBwiki and other players who know nothing about the character on Roy opinions, they don't form their own opinions with conviction. They worship players who are just good or great instead of trying to reach or surpass their levels. They're afraid to dual-main or experiment with top-tiers in junction with Roy, either as a main, secondary, or dual-main. People aren't willing to tech chase, platform cancel, powershield, or shield drop punish. They fsmash when they could ftilt, they use DED too much and don't use it in the right ways, they don't utilize usmash/dsmash when he has some of the best smashes in the game, they don't condition, they strike the wrong stages, they don't fix their habits. They suck.

People play Roy because he's "fun" or "a challenge" or "he's cooler/fits better than Marth" and they give up too easily. A lot of Roy mains are weak, scrubby, or lazy. They give up when people write off the character entirely, and randomly accept opinions to make things easier. Roy mains are p*****s who just accept the character's stigma and how they're treated by the community, and they let people s***post on the Roy boards all day about how the character is useless and just accept that it's everywhere. It's disgustingly pathetic how horrible this place is, the Roy boards are forever gonna be a horrible cesspool of casual players and people who write off Roy yet somehow waste their lives on the boards contributing absolutely nothing to smash or low/mid tiers until I prove the community wrong. Remember and thank me when these boards stop being so s***ty, they have been since the 2000's so nothing's new I guess.

I main Roy to prove that y'all are frauds, and because he needs a player with the right mindset to prove his potential. None of you guys can do this, so I guess I have to.
How humble of you.

No but srsly tho good luck. I have to admit I'm probably just a scrub, but I try to become an above average player, and even if this might not seem like an accomplishment, everyone in my local community have said I have a bright future ahead of me. Well, hope to cya soon!

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
I main Roy as of this year. I decided to because I see so much talk about people wishing someone would take Roy serious and make something of him. I play exclusively on netplay, but hopefully after some time my Roy will become a threat. If not, I'll at least be happy I pushed Roy as far as I could. But I am serious about using Roy, and no matter how much I lose I will use that as motivation to work out my weaknesses.

I agree earlier with someone's posts. When I pick stages I pick the likes of Dreamland 64 and Stadium because I want to go against the grain of depending on Roy's best stages to win, and figure out to adapt him to even his worst stages. It's hard to fix a problem if I avoid facing it. I don't think I'll discover some new thing none of you have thought of. But even after I get owned online, I think back to the people wishing for a Roy main that's serious about being good. The thought of helping people too see something like that become a reality. That's enough for me to suck it up instead of punking out and going back to Falcon like I feel like doing sometimes.

Also, a lot of my old mains I based off of those like Ken and even some newer top players, so starting with Roy made it easier for me to break habits and reinvent a character no one uses at a top level anymore. I do watch some videos for some ideas, but I'm really just trying to get down the basic fundamentals first then build from there.

Seriously though Roy sucks in certain matchups, but it's fun finding a way to win.

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Oh yea I haven't answered the question yet lol.

I'm a 13 year old Roy main from Sweden. I have always loved to play characters that aren't op and go with my personal preference. Roy felt perfect for me. He's fun to use, got a few good moves that are perfect for combos, he's pretty fast and have top tier movement, he have a sword (yay :3) and I have kind of a personal connection with him. Won't go into details tho ;3. I have played melee for 6 months, and like I said before, everyone in my local community have said I have a bright future in smash with Roy. I have however watched melee for 2 years now. What I love the most with Roy are

1. He's flashy, at least above average flashy

2. You can do aerials to pretty much anything because of the low knock back. Fair/Nair grab are SOOOO SATISFYING. A really effective combo Roy have are dtilt > nair > wave land on platform > fsmash. U guys prob already know this but just wanted to share it anyway.

Btw I also played brawl casually for 5 years until I found out about melee. Well I still played brawl until sm4sh got released. Couldn't get a copy if melee until 6 months ago. I have also had close sets against some of the best players in my region. Anyone heard about VJ, Poopmaister or Nils? All three beat me but got impressed by my performance, and Flab (a not that well-known Falco player) beat my Roy and was also pretty impressed. Well time to stop bragging about my "accomplishments" lol. I also have an older brother named Kudde who dual main Ness Fox. I also play Yoshi.

I probably sound very childish, but I take this seriously and hope you do as as well. If you live in eu and wanna netplay, then just send me a message and lets gooo.

Cya! O//

Last edited:

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't care who people play, but it kinda bugs me when people don't accept the facts. Tier lists are in place for a reason. A perfect fox will always beat a perfect Roy. He's fun though.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Treedot Treedot idk about that.

You seem to be talking about a nirvana fallacy. Perfect conditions do not exist and attempting to always work in a perfect world is madness when you have to force your theories to be applied in reality. Truth is, tier lists only hold so much weight and they don't factor in the psychological aspects of the game that we play. If a roy was the same level as a fox, which is physically impossible, then you could make the argument that based upon technical data and tools available to the character that fox always wins. However, this doesn't take into account stage advantages, matchup knowledge, condition of the player's mindset and health or the ability of one player to employ mind games on another.

Even a simple factor like intimidation can strike a nerve that causes a fox to fall apart because of how demanding the technical aspects of fox are. For instance. Say I'm a Roy player that four stocked my last opponent, dumpstered him in both matches of our set without contest because he wasn't familiar about the match up. That kind of thing doesn't stay quiet and now say that my next opponent is a fox that has average familiarity with the matchup. Just by having done well previously and taken advantage my my previous opponent I have started to plant seeds that will unnerve my opponent and cause him to consider me in a different light. This is a huge impact on characters that require tons of technical skill and it often leads them falling back on 'text-book' movements or making mistakes. Both of these things are beneficial because mistakes are exploitable and 'text-book' movements are easy to recognize, predict and exploit which can further unnerve the opponent.

Tier lists exist because of the performances that we have seen in the past and the technical data that we have on paper. However, to write off the validity of factors in reality is a bit silly. This is true acceptance of the facts instead of just the ones that occur in a bubble. Any character can move up or down a tier list if we simply have the person to make it happen, or do I need to mention the scare that Shroomed gave everyone with his Doctor Mario abilities?

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Treedot Treedot idk about that.

You seem to be talking about a nirvana fallacy. Perfect conditions do not exist and attempting to always work in a perfect world is madness when you have to force your theories to be applied in reality. Truth is, tier lists only hold so much weight and they don't factor in the psychological aspects of the game that we play. If a roy was the same level as a fox, which is physically impossible, then you could make the argument that based upon technical data and tools available to the character that fox always wins. However, this doesn't take into account stage advantages, matchup knowledge, condition of the player's mindset and health or the ability of one player to employ mind games on another.

Even a simple factor like intimidation can strike a nerve that causes a fox to fall apart because of how demanding the technical aspects of fox are. For instance. Say I'm a Roy player that four stocked my last opponent, dumpstered him in both matches of our set without contest because he wasn't familiar about the match up. That kind of thing doesn't stay quiet and now say that my next opponent is a fox that has average familiarity with the matchup. Just by having done well previously and taken advantage my my previous opponent I have started to plant seeds that will unnerve my opponent and cause him to consider me in a different light. This is a huge impact on characters that require tons of technical skill and it often leads them falling back on 'text-book' movements or making mistakes. Both of these things are beneficial because mistakes are exploitable and 'text-book' movements are easy to recognize, predict and exploit which can further unnerve the opponent.

Tier lists exist because of the performances that we have seen in the past and the technical data that we have on paper. However, to write off the validity of factors in reality is a bit silly. This is true acceptance of the facts instead of just the ones that occur in a bubble. Any character can move up or down a tier list if we simply have the person to make it happen, or do I need to mention the scare that Shroomed gave everyone with his Doctor Mario abilities?
No no, that's what I mean. There's no such thing as a perfect Fox or a perfect Roy. But in a perfect world, I would like to believe the tier list is 100% accurate.

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
I've been a Falco-Marth main for a while, but I've experimented with Roy and am seriously considering picking him up as a main. I've l ng thought he is the most underrated character in the game BY FAR. But to be honest, tier bias is an extremely prevalent thing that forces all characters in the lower tiers to be considered worse than they actually are, if people had played and developed these characters as much as the high tiers, things would look a lot different.

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Yeah, a lot of players don't want to face the frustration that the community brings on low tier mains. I played Roy longer than any other character and he is still the most fun to play in my opinion. I think that his meta is yet to fully be discovered and can't wait to see someone be the modern-day Sethlon.

LSDX

Wah!
Yeah, a lot of players don't want to face the frustration that the community brings on low tier mains. I played Roy longer than any other character and he is still the most fun to play in my opinion. I think that his meta is yet to fully be discovered and can't wait to see someone be the modern-day Sethlon.
That'd be me baby.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Roy is fun! in casual days i liked him more than marth, and sometimes i still do. The whole Fire aesthetic made him seem stronger back then. But now, i like him slightly more with logical reasons, like how he has a great shffle and stuff.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
its my character.
I'm the Trash Man.
I come out and throw trash all over my locals.
Then I start maining garbage.

WeeabooKiller

Smash Rookie
I play as Roy because of his combo game, mostly. I really enjoy it. The design of the character also appeals to me. I do secondary Marth, though, so I can bust him out in case things go wrong.

CBassWilkinson

Smash Rookie
I play Roy because I play Roy. There isn't much else needed. He's the character I like to use, and the character that I want to at least try to push as far as possible.

Last edited:

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
I push Roy because he's a potent upper-mid tier character as good as Yoshi, Pikachu, and IC's. Roy mains aren't experimenting with tech chasing because they think chaingrabs on spacies is one of the only things redeeming him. They don't experiment with Dreamland or Pokestadium because they're brainwashed into only trying to do well on FoD and FD. They constantly feed off SSBwiki and other players who know nothing about the character on Roy opinions, they don't form their own opinions with conviction. They worship players who are just good or great instead of trying to reach or surpass their levels. They're afraid to dual-main or experiment with top-tiers in junction with Roy, either as a main, secondary, or dual-main. People aren't willing to tech chase, platform cancel, powershield, or shield drop punish. They fsmash when they could ftilt, they use DED too much and don't use it in the right ways, they don't utilize usmash/dsmash when he has some of the best smashes in the game, they don't condition, they strike the wrong stages, they don't fix their habits. They suck.

People play Roy because he's "fun" or "a challenge" or "he's cooler/fits better than Marth" and they give up too easily. A lot of Roy mains are weak, scrubby, or lazy. They give up when people write off the character entirely, and randomly accept opinions to make things easier. Roy mains are p*****s who just accept the character's stigma and how they're treated by the community, and they let people s***post on the Roy boards all day about how the character is useless and just accept that it's everywhere. It's disgustingly pathetic how horrible this place is, the Roy boards are forever gonna be a horrible cesspool of casual players and people who write off Roy yet somehow waste their lives on the boards contributing absolutely nothing to smash or low/mid tiers until I prove the community wrong. Remember and thank me when these boards stop being so s***ty, they have been since the 2000's so nothing's new I guess.

I main Roy to prove that y'all are frauds, and because he needs a player with the right mindset to prove his potential. None of you guys can do this, so I guess I have to.
This is the best and most inspirational Smashboards post I've ever read. I swear, when I go to college next year, I'm gonna start going to tournaments, and I'll ****ing go hard with my Roy and see what I can do.
What do I know, I might very well end up another failed Roy main, as one of the people you so eloquently categorized. Maybe. But I'm holding on to a little hope that isn't the case.

_____Andrew_____

Smash Apprentice
Reporting back on this, I just went to my first local weekly ever, played only Roy, and won 2 sets (2-2 overall).

Last edited:

Eeeyah911

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArkGod123
Switch FC
SW-6879-3932-9767
Roy was my Melee main when I first played the game as a kid.

I still main him, by the way.

Sorry for the thread bump. :(

Eeeyah911

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArkGod123
Switch FC
SW-6879-3932-9767
Besides.

I don't care if my Main is a Low Tier, that won't stop me from using him.

Eeeyah911

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArkGod123
Switch FC
SW-6879-3932-9767
There is also the fact that I normally fight at close range, so that's why im usually better with Roy than Marth.

And there's also the fact that I have no skill with pro playing.

Hyakult

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
HYO#813
Switch FC
SW-6159-9788-8283
For Happiness. If it weren't for Roy I wouldn't play Smash, I've been using it since I'm 4 years old.

Rain0

Smash Apprentice
I honestly play him, because he was more interesting than Marth

(Also, because I sucked at landing Marth's Tippers)

Top Bottom