• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main Lucina, as compared to Marth?

Dark_Knight_X1

Smash Cadet
I'm not trying to say that my preference, Marth, is better than Lucina, I'm trying to get my own perspective on things. I'm sorry if this question is redundant because I really have no idea.

D

Deleted member

While :4lucina: is my secondary character (alongside :4bayonetta2: but this is just me) I'll say that I use her since her blade is more all-rounder. Now, I have nothing against :4marth: but it is too much of a pain to land the tip, now especially in 2-vs.-2 matches. Let me tell you: I've been studying frame data religiously, and the fact that some of her moves KO a tad sooner than Marth's sour-spotted attacks (f-smash is a prime example)... yeah, to me Lucy is worth it. :)

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Personal preference.
People play Lucina because they prefer the character and how she handles. They like how her moves work and might not be a big fan of the tipper mechanic, not necessarily because they can't land it either (ZeRo can land tippers really well with Marth, he just isn't a fan of the mechanic period)

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Personal preference.
People play Lucina because they prefer the character and how she handles. They like how her moves work and might not be a big fan of the tipper mechanic, not necessarily because they can't land it either (ZeRo can land tippers really well with Marth, he just isn't a fan of the mechanic period)
Pretty much this for me, then there's the fact that I am loyaltist.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
she's an easier to pick up version of marth that sacrifices a little bit of power in favor of a more normalized sword. she's a great secondary as a consequence, since she shares a lot of marth's matchup spread and requires less dedication to pick up, and i could definitely see someone maining her for exactly those reasons as well

DMan64

Smash Cadet
I think that Lucina is just easier to pick up, and generally speaking any good match-up for Marth is a good match-up for Lucina, and Lucina even has a few match ups where it's just generally better to use her since she doesn't have to worry about precision as much, (such as Diddy or Pikachu). That said, while I personally think Lucina has an overall better match-up spread than Marth, I think the match-ups that Marth is better at than Lucina at are the more prevelant characters, not to mention the match-ups where it is better to use Marth, are match-ups that are just way in Marth's favor as opposed to Lucina, with the exception of maybe Diddy Kong, whereas Lucina doesn't necessarily do bad against them, but Marth is just better in these situations at top level play, and even then, Marth and Lucina both have a fare share of match-ups where it really doesn't matter who you use.

With that said, a lot of it does come down to personal preference, but there are situations where it is just more convenient to use one character over another.
Examples like Mario, where it is better to use Marth, because it's relatively easy to get tippers on him given the spacing, compared to Pikachu where Lucina would be better because Pikachu is very nimble and can get into Marth's space easier, so Lucina would be better because you don't have to worry about being precise and only have to worry about getting the hit.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I think that Lucina is just easier to pick up, and generally speaking any good match-up for Marth is a good match-up for Lucina
With that said, a lot of it does come down to personal preference, but there are situations where it is just more convenient to use one character over another.
This pretty much covers it imo.

I personally play both. For example, in the Ryu match-up I prefer Lucina mostly due to the risk involved in failing to land a tipper [I is bad lol]. A sourspot from Marth could mean the end of me from a true shoryuken combo. While if I was Lucina I could have still avoided that situation. Percents and whatnot. I do love the tipper mechanic though, and will play Marth more often than not.

Dr. Cheesesteak

Smash Rookie
NNID
cheese47
3DS FC
1289-8230-5012
While I'm not savvy on all the nuanced differences between Marth and Lucina, I chose Lucina b/c she was one of my favorite characters in FE:Awakening. And I never got the DLC for Marth. And I tend to play characters I enjoy as characters, so I don't really have an opinion on Marth.

To add to that, my co-main formula (yes, I want to play to so many characters, I need a forced formula to help me!) is always 1 male and 1 female. While it was hard to narrow it down, I went w/ Lucina b/c Bayo seemed overplayed, overpowered, and I also wanted a true Nintendo character; I had played Zero Suit basically my whole Smash life up until Wii U and wanted something different; Zelda wasn't wasn't quite my style; and vanilla Samus I'm just learning.

Top Bottom