• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do YOU Main King Dedede?

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Why do you personally main D3. For me, I just love three things about the king.

1. He’s a Low Tier Hero I like this because it means no johns when you win. Your opponent has practically no excuse.

2. His Playstyle I love being able to edge guard well, I love how meaty his aerials feel, I love his stupidly strong (but slow) attacks, [i.e. dash attack, f smash, and jet hammer] And best of all, the S U C C A N D C U C C.

3. Personality Let’s be real. Nobody’s a better character than Dedede in all of smash. Maybe not in tiers, but in actual character he eclipses the rest of the cast. His crouch, his down tilt, his victory screens etc. show him off so well. And this is probably my biggest reason.

That’s why I main Dedede. How about you?

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
He's a fat blue penguin with a giant hammer. Also, lots of fun to play.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
I do like the idea of maining a mid-tier (I don't think DDD is low-tier) character, too. I really like playing Wolf and Pichu, but so does everyone else. I like playing someone different.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Although Dedede is my secondary (Though I watch much more youtube videos centered around him), I liked Kirby franchise characters a lot, and Dedede in the anime seems super funny.

Plus, In Brawl, he is relatively easy to use for me.

GreatKnightEcho

Smash Rookie
Kirby's Return to Dreamland was the first game I ever beat 100%. Dedede is one of the most expressive characters in Smash, and his annoying playstyle focusing on predicting the enemy and pressuring them into making easy-to-punish errors as well as his great kill power and aerial focus suits me perfectly.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Easiest character I’ve played with and got decent at
Maximum autism
Never serious
Can taunt online
That sweet meaty sound when his back air smack the opponent’s head clean off into the blast zone is orgasmic

dankDadi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7920 2309 3314
cuz hes a sexy beast

Last edited:

Felancius

Smash Cadet
While I don't necessarily main him, I did consider it, and I sure as hell secondary him, not only cause he's kinda fun to play, but it came off to me that he's actually a great secondary for Mario since he covers quite a bit of Mario's worse matchups.

D

Deleted member

Is King Dedede top-mid Tier? Zero puts him in bottom-mid tier. I feel like he’s definitely higher than that; he could definitely give people like Peach and Wario a run for their money.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Is King Dedede top-mid Tier? Zero puts him in bottom-mid tier. I feel like he’s definitely higher than that; he could definitely give people like Peach and Wario a run for their money.
Zero puts everyone who’s not Inkling or Little Mac in mid tier.

Dedede now is definitely higher than in Smash 4, but his weaknesses are all but gone. I don’t think he’s mid-tier, but he’s a higher low tier than before. If the Gordo is fixed and gain a little more speed, then maybe mid tier.

Peach/Daisy, Sheik, Wario, Pichu, Belmonts, give him a good beat down.

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I don’t main Dedede, but I have recently used him very often. I didn’t use him that much in 4, but ever since I unlocked him in Ultimate, I have been using Dedede more and more everyday. Whacking people with his hammer is one of the most satisfying things to do, he has a very fun projectile, and he has the best personality out of all the characters. He is probably my favorite heavyweight in this game. Also, his final smash is epic. What’s not to love about this fat penguin?

Last edited:

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Survivability. Being super heavy + god tier recovery means I never feel out of it.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
He's a sexy beast, he lives to absurd %s, and those beefy hitboxes and Gordo traps are to DIE for. Also, he has the funniest reflector in the game. All in all, he just feels really good to play in this game.

stardaboi

Smash Rookie

1. He’s a Low Tier Hero I like this because it means no johns when you win. Your opponent has practically no excuse.

2. His Playstyle I love being able to edge guard well, I love how meaty his aerials feel, I love his stupidly strong (but slow) attacks, [i.e. dash attack, f smash, and jet hammer] And best of all, the S U C C A N D C U C C.

3. Personality Let’s be real. Nobody’s a better character than Dedede in all of smash. Maybe not in tiers, but in actual character he eclipses the rest of the cast. His crouch, his down tilt, his victory screens etc. show him off so well. And this is probably my biggest reason.

simple, i saw the fat greedy guy and said "yes...". hell, if Dedede wasn't in the game, i'd be a Wario main.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A couple of years ago my high school held a Smash 4 tournament and someone bodied me as Dedede (I was using ZSS who I thought I was good with. I was wrong). I decided to try out Dedede. I watched a lot of guides on him to help me out and much more tournament footage.

Also memes.

ToniestTony

Smash Rookie
I like heavies, but his gordos, recovery, personnality makes him the most fun for me! I liked him in wii u but now that he can inhale everything he's even more fun to play!

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Q: Why do YOU main King Dedede?
A: To get my money back Guaranteed!

Also he is a fat ass mother ****** that lives to the infinitum, kills little children stupid early and has a million best friends to throw at you. Yea.

LucarioOfLegends

Smash Rookie
I'm still very bad at Smash (Haven't gotten a single character to elite and hover consistently around 3.6-4.0) but there are two main factors to why I play the king.

Good Play: I legit can't stand playing rushdown characters, they feel too fast and technical for me, I prefer much more defensive play that eventually allows me to break through foes. I think Dedede works great in this department. His Recovery, Multiple Jump, and Weight give him debatably the best survivability in the entirety of Ultimate, meaning that he gets a lot of time to play until a opening, which is something I like (I also wanna try pit because multijumps but thats another note). Every hit feels meaty and like it actually does something to the foe, which I can't say for a lot of the combo heavy characters in Ultimate. He kinda just feels good genuinely makes me think more about my play habits when I use him.

Salt: He is the best character in the game when it comes to straight personality, and he has multiple different ways to truly taunt online which is super enjoyable (Crouching Penguin, Caurosal, and Bow are the big ones). Its just a fun character which so much damn personality.

DBZ0wnz

Smash Cadet
My friend told me I'm good with him, he's fun to punish people and pressure, he strikes fear into my enemies with his cute face and has great specials which cause frustration to my foes.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
He's one of my mains (my other main is my profile pic). He's fun to play for a few reasons:

1. His crouch (the BEST crouch in the game EVER!!!). He can also roll while crouching.

2. His sleeping animation (looks quite funny tbh)

3. His wacky moveset (and the fact that he makes lots of funny expressions when using them)
It's so satisfying to kill with the jet hammer (well mostly from reading counters) and the Super D3 Jump XD
Let's not mention that his inhale when facing the camera with Z-axis glitch is hilarious as hell X'D

and

4. TO CLOBBER DAT THERE KIRBEH!!!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As a kid, I first learned about King Dedede in Melee through the character's trophy.

I loved his design and his story as the trophy's description explained it, and along with Meta Knight, King K. Rool, Pit and Dixie Kong, was among several Nintendo characters I learned about through that game and also wondered if they'd have what it takes to make into another, future Smash game. Come Brawl, and my wish is granted, at least concerning King Dedede, Meta Knight and Pit. Of them all, Dedede's goofy and quirky but tough personality, status as a villain, and his honestly noble role in the Subspace Emissary, he quickly turned into my main.

Sometime after that, I got Kirby Super Star Ultra. It was my first Kirby game, and no surprise, I really loved what they did with King Dedede in it. As more time passed I started watching the Kirby anime (one of the few animes I even like, it's not exactly one of my preferred forms of entertainment), enjoyed his personality and plotting whenever he showed up in an episode, got more Kirby games as time went on (Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland come to mind, then I got Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64 via the virtual console, and my collection has just expanded from there) and my fondness for King Dedede just grew with every new game he was in.

The dude's a certified anti-hero who's a penguin king who wields a friggin' giant mallet as his weapon, that's a great combination of badass, quirky and lovable. The character has always appealed to me and as far as Smash is concerned, I've always enjoyed his gameplay, so he's my main in Brawl, remained my main in 4, and is one of my three mains in Ultimate. He's a blast to play as when you have even a basic idea of what you're doing, and just gets more fun the more you improve. High tier, low tier or otherwise, I'm never dropping King Dedede from my mains. I'm loyal to the Great King. I like the character way too much to even reduce him to a secondary.

BlueKirbySquad

Smash Cadet
Because. DDD is the best. He has a giant hammer. He has adorable minions. He has great personality. Also he is the king.

Kugelhagelfisch

Smash Cadet
As a kid I played Kirby's Dreamland on the GB all the way through again and again just to listen to his awesome music. When he was in Smash it was a no-brainer to pick him. I like heavies best anyway.
Plus he's a jolly 400 pound penguin with a two ton hammer and the most smug character by far.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
He's a big floofy boy, and I love the crouch with his smug expression. (I swear he looks so adorable and huggable.)
king_dedede_by_betweenalina_dd0lma5-fullview.jpg
"He don't scare me none!"

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace

I mained King Dedede because he accommodated my patient, situational aggression and restricting playstyle. Also, his moves were fun to watch, and his attacks were difficult to escape when the opponent was too close during the latter frames, and audibly pleasing. There was much practical and sensible appeal to his gameplay.

Top Bottom