• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main Isabelle, if you do?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I saw a similar thread in the Inkling thread, and I feel it is even more relevant here considering Isabelle isn't as solid as Inkling.

Really curious.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Pretty much just because I like her character. Her design is adorable and I'm a big fan of Animal Crossing.
Her moveset was actually quite the pain to adapt to, and there were quite a few times where I thought that I might not be able to play her as much simply due to it not working well for me, but it all worked out in the end.

Folax

Smash Rookie
Luminario pretty much hit it on the nail for me. She's cute as hell, and equally fun. It was a rough start for me as well with her moveset, cause at one point I thought she was trash, but over time I started to get a grip on the playstyle she demands. Never judge a character day one I guess lol

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I loved New Leaf and Isabelle is just adorable. Granted I'm trash with Isabelle but I still really like using her.

Vangis605

Smash Rookie
I’m still a little undecided on my main... but, I actually really love playing as Isabelle. I think it’s similar to how I loved playing as Palutena in smash 4: Isabelle isn’t so straightforwardly strong and needs to be played pretty technically to win with.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
I don't main Isabelle, but I always assumed the only reason to main Isabelle was to see despair in the eye of your online opponent.
Probably also give him the urge to quit the game and jump off of the window.

Last edited:

xZRx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7739-8489-3763
I don't main Isabelle, but I always assumed the only reason to main Isabelle was to see despair in the eye of your online opponent.
Something like this... i dont necessarily main with Isabelle yet, but after using her for the first time for a classis mode run through a few days ago i had to take more time to practice with her to possible use seriously in the future, because i could immediately see the reasons a lot of good players use her. tons of fast moves to combo, lots of ways to switch up guarding, and special moves that can be confusing as hell to avoid for people that dont play against her often... definitely going to be giving her more attention

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i main isabelle because i tend to like female characters of the 'small and adorable' variety, which smash doesnt have nearly enough of

also i think slingshot is really good

NoMarthLeftBehind

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3979-7704
She's cute and pisses off everyone I know when I play her. I just have fun playing her.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I like using Isabelle cause she's fun plus I always enjoy beating people with cute characters, I like using her just as much as I like using Villager though I feel I'm just a little better with Villager.
She was also my second most wanted newcomer.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I actually really like her moveset. she has decent combo strings with up tilt, up airs, nair is super fast and lingers, it also kills at high percents, a great edge guarding tool, but what i like most are her trap set ups with the lloid mine. thing can interrupt a lot of moves, catches rolls from the ledge if you scare your opponent into doing that, plus, that... freaking.... FISHING ROD!!!! i love that thing.

ye so i main issy cuz she's super fun to play and she fits very well with my style.

korsgo

Smash Rookie
NNID
david131999
Yeah it's that kind of feeling that makes other players hate this character. But she is not that bad is she?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Isabelle started as my troll pick in Mario Kart since her natural sweetness being juxtaposed to the frantic action of the game is quite hilarious to me. This quickly bled over into Smash as seeing her beat up Ridley and Ganondorf is still amusing.

I also just like the character. She's hardworking and generally positive for the most-part, so she gives a sympathetic underdog vibe, no pun intended.

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
I actually really liked playing villager in smash 4,Isabelle is more of the same with that. Except with tools that can potentially make her more agressive-which I like, since I’ve always played villager aggressively anyways.

Also the fishing rod imo is one of the most satisfying attacks in the entire game. LOVE ruining bad recoveries with it. In combination of down b she’s a ton of fun

Also she has a ton of unofficial taunts which just makes it even better.

DevilTrigger

Smash Rookie
I had already been messing around with Pillager since Smash 4. On sight I dismissed her, but I decided to give her a chance because of Killager. The loid change up I was iffy about at fist and questioned the kill potential of some of her moves. But after a few matches and discovering the fishing rod and all it's foolishness, I was hooked. Trap game is just too sick. To cap it off... it feel awesome to make people look silly online with her.
#GucciPucci

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
Don't main Isabelle. That said:
-Character design is really cute
-Combos are entirely different than villager, so even though I think he's better, she's still her own developing fighter
-My friend loves trolling with her so when I pull Isabelle in 4-player randoms we troll together and it's great
-Wiggling the fishing rod gives meaning to my life
-stop! (upsmash)
-airspeed, groundspeed, etc. feel really fine tuned to the character so you can really groove with her moves
-just fun! Has room for high IQ plays with downB and etc., but doesn't require them to be successful.

fairyghost

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7803-4243-1715
Don't main Isabelle.
Why not?
I don't main her or plan on it but I've used her for a little while. Everyone says she's low tier and unviable, but why is that?
Genuine question. I didn't think she was that bad. I don't have any experience with tournament level play though

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
Why not?
I don't main her or plan on it but I've used her for a little while. Everyone says she's low tier and unviable, but why is that?
Genuine question. I didn't think she was that bad. I don't have any experience with tournament level play though
That sentence was a little vague:
I don't main Isabelle. That said: blah blah blah

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
OH lol whoops

If anyone else could answer my question though, I'd really appreciate it
Why people think she's low tier is: slow run speed, worst roll in the game, down-b hardly works how it's supposed to, command grab that's slow and doesn't beat shield, and projectiles aren't very good.

I don't agree with all of this, but I will admit I would love if these were fixed. I think Isabelle has real potential, but these things do slow her down.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i dont think her slow run speed is much of an issue, given that shes designed for zoning. i would like it her close-ranged attacks had a little more range though; things like nair and dsmash having just a bit more reach would make a world of difference

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
I play Isabelle because she's automatically, radically, ironically, chronically, certainly, pertin'ly, genetically, medically better than Villager.

domcarminefilix

Smash Rookie
I do not main her but I have a friend that plays her because she is a fan of Animal Crossing and finds Isabelle more enjoyable than villager.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Because she's my doggo friendo and that i love having my favourite characters be low tier ;v;
Seriously though, please fix Isabelle :<

(Also, i sunk like 600+ hours into Animal Crossing : New Leaf.)

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
we dont really have official curated tier lists anymore, its kind of a free-for-all at this point

Top Bottom