• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Love Smash?

Hitstun

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda sorta new to SSB Competitive and I just wanted to ask you guys...

Why do you love Smash?

I love Smash because, after 5 years of putting up with BS that the competitive Call of Duty ( yeeeeeahh :/ ) community gave me, I joined the Smash Community ( and this game has always been there...just waiting for me ) and I haven't looked back in these last 2 months.

Smash so far has helped me find who I am.
CoD / Xbox 360 made me pretty much brain-dead.
I forgot who I was, and what built me in to the person that I am...and that was playing GameCube with friends/family every day after school and such.
I lost all of that in these 5 years, and I got it all back after my switch to Smash.

I love Smash because it allows me to interact physically with people instead of talking through a mic.
It helps me find TRUE friends and talk to them in person rather than a screen. ( Plus no internet lag, and no spending so much money on Live, Nice TV's, Better controllers, etc.)

Smash is there.
Smash has always been here.

So...

Why do you love Smash?

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
No other game will let me beat the crap out of Duck Hunt dog.

More seriously, Smash has introduced me to a ton of new franchises (F-Zero, Rhythm Heaven (by way of the Gematsu leak), Fire Emblem, etc). I never would've heard of or tried these things had I not experienced 'em in Smash. Also, Smash 64 was the first game I ever bought with my own money, so that one's particularly special.

Hitstun

Smash Cadet
No other game will let me beat the crap out of Duck Hunt dog.

More seriously, Smash has introduced me to a ton of new franchises (F-Zero, Rhythm Heaven (by way of the Gematsu leak), Fire Emblem, etc). I never would've heard of or tried these things had I not experienced 'em in Smash. Also, Smash 64 was the first game I ever bought with my own money, so that one's particularly special.
Using the series to find new series to try is pretty genius. I didn't know of Fire Emblem or F-Zero until Melee!

Yasumi

Smash Rookie
It's kind of hard to really say why I enjoy Smash. It's not my favourite game but it's definitely in the top 3.

I think it's because it satisfies my desire for a fighting game. It's approachable, but it has the depth that I enjoy in multiplayer games.

Hitstun

Smash Cadet
It's kind of hard to really say why I enjoy Smash. It's not my favourite game but it's definitely in the top 3.

I think it's because it satisfies my desire for a fighting game. It's approachable, but it has the depth that I enjoy in multiplayer games.
I enjoy the in depth description. Smash is a beautiful series. I'm glad I joined this community

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721

Oh seconding this like nothin' else. I've always wanted to get into fighting games, but when I was young my hands and brain couldn't comprehend simple stuff like down-right-punch or things like that, so fighting games weren't fun for me. Then Smash comes along and it's like 'hey, just press this button and this (or no) direction and you'll do something cool!'.

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
It's a gaming series that puts all my favorite games together and lets their representatives wail on each other. Plus it's one of the few series that I know of that almost everyone I play games with can enjoy.

Last edited:

ThreesTrees

Smash Rookie
Smash got me through my first, second, and third dogs deaths. I would play hours and beat the masterhand over and over by myself to try and drown the loss, eventually it did work though! Also my Link is undefeated in my hometown, probably because of the time I put into Smash.. Unless my friends also choose Link and cheese bomb spam me until I lost :(

Hitstun

Smash Cadet
Smash got me through my first, second, and third dogs deaths. I would play hours and beat the masterhand over and over by myself to try and drown the loss, eventually it did work though! Also my Link is undefeated in my hometown, probably because of the time I put into Smash.. Unless my friends also choose Link and cheese bomb spam me until I lost :(
h
I give my condolences. But I'm very positive that your dogs are with you in spirit! Link has also been the biggest character for me in gaming history and is my number one character under Sheik (LoZ for Life!)
Stay strong my friend.

Yasumi

Smash Rookie
I know that feeling well. Sorry, man.

D

Deleted member

1. It features many of my favorite characters duking it out.
  2. It introduced me to many characters and franchises that I probably wouldn't have known about otherwise. Now that I think about it, Smash Bros. had a major influence on my tastes in games (for example, Fire Emblem was the first tactical RPG series that I really got into, and I can thank Marth for that).
  3. With the arguable exception of Brawl, this series is recommendable to anyone who is looking for a good fighting game, but doesn't want to struggle pulling off half-circle motions and things of that nature. Are these games the most polished fighters ever? No, they're far from that, but the mechanics make them enjoyable.

Quail93

Smash Rookie
Theres something incredibly stimulating, both mentally and physically, about the smash series. It's a strategy game, a fighter and a party game all in one; it appeals to a vast crowd and it fulfills nearly every gaming need.

I have almost crippling anxiety and I've always had a hard time communicating with others. Smash has allowed me to bond with people without having to speak; I can laugh with a group of complete strangers without feeling completely alienated, My heart is pounding and I'm wiping sweat from my brow, not due to fear but due to the adrenaline of a multiple hour session.

It's also was an exceptional way to deal with loss, constant belittling, and a dysfunctional childhood.

It may sound silly and a bit outrageous, but this game keeps me sane and it's a small addiction I don't mind having.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I'm a big Kirby and Kirby Super Star fan and there are a lot of KSS influences as well as Sakurai at the helm.

Hitstun

Smash Cadet
Theres something incredibly stimulating, both mentally and physically, about the smash series. It's a strategy game, a fighter and a party game all in one; it appeals to a vast crowd and it fulfills nearly every gaming need.

I have almost crippling anxiety and I've always had a hard time communicating with others. Smash has allowed me to bond with people without having to speak; I can laugh with a group of complete strangers without feeling completely alienated, My heart is pounding and I'm wiping sweat from my brow, not due to fear but due to the adrenaline of a multiple hour session.

It's also was an exceptional way to deal with loss, constant belittling, and a dysfunctional childhood.

It may sound silly and a bit outrageous, but this game keeps me sane and it's a small addiction I don't mind having.
Preach it man!

Hitstun

Smash Cadet
  1. It features many of my favorite characters duking it out.
  2. It introduced me to many characters and franchises that I probably wouldn't have known about otherwise. Now that I think about it, Smash Bros. had a major influence on my tastes in games (for example, Fire Emblem was the first tactical RPG series that I really got into, and I can thank Marth for that).
  3. With the arguable exception of Brawl, this series is recommendable to anyone who is looking for a good fighting game, but doesn't want to struggle pulling off half-circle motions and things of that nature. Are these games the most polished fighters ever? No, they're far from that, but the mechanics make them enjoyable.
Straight up, man. Also, I'm digging the avatar

ALXX530

Smash Rookie
NNID
ALXX530
3DS FC
1375-7205-7500
Smash is really unique game to me. When I was a kid I loved Nintendo and when i saw that comercial for Smash 64 I was just blown away. The thought of Mario, Pikachu, Fox, DK and Yoshi beating the snot out of each other was just epic in my mind. Then I learned of all these other Nintendo franchises I've never heard of like Metroid, Kirby, and Zelda and it basically opened the door for more games for me to experiance.
Another reason why I love Smash is just that it's a really fun game to play. When I played other fighting games like SF2 or KI I just never found them fun to play as Smash Bros. I'm not saying those are bad games by any means I'm just saying I never really got into them. To me, Smash is one of those games where it's easy to get into but has surprisingly deep fighting tactics. It's a competitive fighter and a party fighter all at once and I love that.

So yeah...that's why I love Smash. It's one of the few game series' that I can say I have spent years playing.

graveLotus

Smash Rookie
Said this in a previous thread.. but it's really the movement options and being able to express exactly what you want to do with your character and not being held back. I think it's perfect.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  1. It's introduced me to a ton of new franchises. Metroid, Game & Watch, Mother, Pikmin, Metal Gear, all of them I never would have found without Smash.
  2. It's an amazing stress reliever that I frankly would not have had an easy time in the past few years without.
  3. This one is recent; after joining the competitive scene, I now realize how intellectual the game is. It helps me think on my toes, adapt when something doesn't go to plan, take full advantage of something when I have the upper hand...

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
1) I've always been a huge nintendo fan so it's awesome to see a bunch of my favorite characters in one game.
2) Keeps my anxiety at bay.
3) Became a huge Mother fan because of it.
4) Smash has a great/passionate community behind it.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Because its a fun game that sometimes you can take casually or competitive there is a great balance between both,it isnt like other games that you got totally pissed off on the first half-hour just because you dont know some terms that affects the gameplay.

isoldmyname

Smash Cadet
Melee was the very first fighting game I ever played.
I started playing Melee when I was about...6 or 7...?
Anyway, it gave me something to look forward to. Smash was there when I first started playing fighters, it was there when I was going through darker times. Brawl came out when I was 10 years old. I actually do not play multiplayer a lot, considering I have few friends in real life. I play against the computer or play 1P Mode all the time. I've probably done 1v1 three times total in my existence. Time marches on. I have lost my Melee disc to scratches, and my Wii no longer plays Brawl. I still play the 64 game though. I have no Wii U and my 3DS is MIA. One of my friends said he is getting the HD version as soon as it comes out and he's gonna kick my @$$ at it. I hope he's training.
...Melee is still the best.

Last edited:

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
Smash Bros. is awesome because it has a simple control scheme. its not like other fighting games with ridiculous combos like MK or SF. Rather, the combos are what you make them on the fly. There are so many different matchups that it has alot of variety in each match. Moreover, it can be enjoyed by casual players to pro level players. The game reminds me of Chess in that it can be played by anyone but allows for a high degree of skill at the same time.

Also, it puts all my favorite characters I grew up with into the same universe to kick each other's asses

Last edited:

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
Exactly what the person above said. I generally dislike fighting games and have never tried to get good at any of them, but Smash is different. Rather than just mashing a pre-set combination of buttons, it makes you feel like you are there making every decision about how to move and react in the spur of the moment, and combos feel natural and fulfilling to execute.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I love Smash because of the amazing replayability and multiplayer. Skill and experience does play its part, but the game is just super balanced for newbies to pick-up, play, and win. Plus, lets face it, ive had some amazing memories play Smash Bros.

Back in middle school - Jr. High years me, my cousins, and the few friends I had always had a blast playing Melee and goofing off, role-playing with our fighters. I always brung my Gamecube wherever I went!

In High School every day after school me and the kids in the apartment complex I lived in all came over to play Brawl. We laughed, we cried, we yelled, we raged, but most of all we had fun! People moved out, people moved in, but no matter what we always got together to play some Brawl! Eventually I won a local tournament too, and it was the first one I ever attended!

Now that me and my friends have started our jobs or schooling, we don't see each other much anymore besides on time off or though church. But Smash continues to be a basis for hanging out. Ive reconnected with old friends with Brawl and now PM, and even made connections though Smashboards. Now me and quite a few of old and new friends around town are meeting weekly and we all go to a Smash group downtown now.

As I continue to be a part of the video game world, nothing quite compares to Smash Bros. Mario Kart and old nostalgic games continue to be a part of my get-togethers, but Smash always comes out on top for some of the best memories of my life. I hope to continue this when Smash Wii U arrives!

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
1) SSB was one of my favorite games. It also introduced me to the Legend of Zelda by having Link there.

2) Finally, Zelda is more than damsels in distress in SSB Melee. Just the mere fact that it showed the her in a new light made me love playing them more so than the other characters. It also introduced me to Fire Emblem. This game bolstered my love for magic and fighting games. So in games like DFO I always pick magic and occasionally the more difficult combo classes. Thanks to Zelda's really awkward play style, I learned how to do more than just spam A or B and it carried over to other games. It also made me saltier to losing, and I pretty much destroyed everyone I played with. Of course it carried over to irl sports/games/events.

3) SSBB had a really amazing single player campaign. It also let me see all the characters interact with each other in this crazy universe. Which is what made me go OMG PEESH Y U SO NICE BUT BADASS??? After playing competitively for a while with Melee, Brawl reminded me that complicated doesn't always equal fun. I became a less competitive, but nicer player. I'd probably be an angry and mean monster if I stuck to Melee and the competitive scene.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Its chaotic yet easy to pick up and understand you don't have to have super fast reflexes to be good at it, unlike other fighters where you get trashed if you don't break combos. You can see your mistakes and work on them without trying anything to complex feels good when you do use that stuff plus its always interesting to watch.

On top of a awesome single player that has a lot to do, its unique there hasn't been much like it and if you get one thing wrong it could ruin the gameplay.

Smash could have just been a fighting game but it went beyond that, one of the best video game series ever in my book.

Spirst

Echoing the sentiments of posters before me, a large part of its appeal lies in the fact that it's so unconventional compared to other fighters out there. There's a great sense of fulfillment moving around the stage and reacting to what your opponent does in ways that traditional fighters don't allow you to. It feels much more like a player-to-player interaction as opposed to the memorization of combo strings. I quite enjoy the feel of the different characters as well as all the fanservice that is done to commemorate each of the characters respective universes. I think a large part of that appreciation is gained after having grown up with those characters and recognizing the nods towards their games in the various attacks, items, stages, and music.

That, and even though this community can be a real pain in the ass sometimes, I do like it. I've only been a real part of the smash community since 2008, but feel very comfortable in it. It's also the one game I feel fairly confident of my skills in.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's a fighting game. I've always liked those, from Tekken to Mortal Kombat to Soul Calibur. But Smash also sets itself apart in it's gameplay style. Which gives it an identity that few games can match.

I also like a lot of Nintendo IPs, namely Mario, Metroid and Pokemon. So when you tell me that there's a game where you can have Mario and Samus team up beat the crap out of Pikachu and Link, I'm bound to be interested. Things get even better when you add other iconic characters, whether it's the OG Pac-Man, the grittiness of Solid Snake or especially the Super Fighting Robot Mega Man.

There's a charm to Smash that can't be replaced by any other series.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I have always loved Nintendo, ever since my grandmother, bless her soul, introduced me to the man in red when I was a small child. But that story is for another time, though one of the main reasons I love Smash is the celebration of the history of Nintendo itself, pulling from years of games and history to celebrate. Even series without playable representives are shown in some way, so much care for new and old Nintendo fans alike is put into this game. Smash Bros also serves as a gateway to whole new worlds of Nintendo, ready to make new fans out of players curious enough to delve into these franchises that were once unknown. After all, without Melee, we would not have Fire Emblem here.

From a gameplay standpoint, I absolutely love it. The flexibility offers so many different and fun ways to play. Items, no items, flat stages only, Big Blue and Delfino Plaza parties, either way we're all having fun with the game in the end due to how customizable the game is to suit our desired way of play. It can be fun with friends, tournaments, alone, online, any way. It's this very flexible game that all kinds of people can play. To some people, it's like basketball, and to others it can be as casual and fun as a game of Monopoly. You can just sit down and enjoy it anyway you want.

And the heart and soul put into the game. Oh, I love the dedication Sakurai has to this series. It literally pains him to make it, he ruined his hand making these games, and he comes back every time on every request, and he tries his damnedest to make this game please as many fans as possible, even playtesting four player matches by himself. That is the sign of a man who cares about the kind of product he and his team put out, that is the sign of a man who wants to make people happy. I love the product of a man who can put this much dedication and love into it even as it hurts him physically to do so.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
One of the things I love about Smash is that the games seem to last me forever. I still go back and play the original 64 game every once in a while, Melee never gets old, Brawl I'll fire up every now and then (well...mainly with Project M BUT STILL). There's just something about the series that really endures, and even as new installments come along, each game has its own unique feel, which I really appreciate.

64 and Melee in particular remind me of when I was just in elementary school, all the fun I had and how carefree things were. It's nice to get sucked back into the nostalgia sometimes, and playing against my sisters has always been so much fun to me. We may not all be the greatest, tournament-ready players ever, but when we have matches that end up so close with one-stock each and well over 100% damage, it's just so exciting and all of us get so into it.

I can't really think of a time I've ever turned on a Smash game and thought, "I just wasn't having any fun." It's pretty much pure entertainment, and boy is it fun to use to unwind and release frustration sometimes after a rough day of class or assignments, LOL.

It introduced me to Fire Emblem which has gone on to be one of my favorite series, and plus, where else can i just wail on Charizard while playing as Falco to my hearts content?

Last edited:

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Smash is awesome because the idea of various video game characters from different franchises beating the daylights out of each other was fun. Back then I was only really familiar with Pokémon (and a bit of Mario) and when I started playing Smash Bros, being introduced to all these different franchises like Kirby, Metroid, Star Fox, etc. got me to try them all out and I enjoyed them.

In particular, at the time I prepared myself for Brawl, I started playing Animal Crossing: Wild World and Kirby Squeak Squad due to the inclusion of Smashville and Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, etc. It seems to have repeated itself with Smash 3DS as after watching Palutena, Lucina and Robin's reveal trailers I'm considering picking up KI: Uprising (though I have no idea where I can find a copy of it in Aussieland. ._.) while I've been having an absolute blast with Fire Emblem: Awakening. Hell, it just makes me appreciate characters and games I never thought I'd end up gathering interest in.

Basically, I love Smash because of the fact that it's extremely fun to play as as well as the fact that it opens me up to different types of Nintendo games.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'm considering picking up KI: Uprising (though I have no idea where I can find a copy of it in Aussieland. ._.)
Perhaps the eShop? I know that the NA one has it on there (granted it's more expensive). And yeah, similarly to you, half of the games I've never played until Smash, I played *because* of Smash. Marth got me into Fire Emblem, Captain Falcon got me into F-Zero (which really deserves a sequel), and Lucas almost got me to play Mother 3 until I remembered how much of a pain emulation ends up being.

Hell, I only picked up Kid Icarus (both the original and Uprising) because of Pit and Palutena, respectively.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
The community easily. I've met so many chill people through this game, and made many new friends. Can't forget that the gameplay is so solid. And especially with Melee, there are so many possible ways to play. If I want to play aggressive I can play Falcon, or if I want to jump around and combo people, Puff. If I just want to goof around, Luigi. There are just so many ways to play, and so many people to play with.

Viewtiful Jen

Smash Rookie
I have so many fond memories of playing hours upon hours of Smash Brothers 64 with my two siblings that I love looking back on every once in a while. The raw saltiness, the insults, the feeling of my little brother's thrown controller colliding against my skull after mercilessly juggling him off the Pokemon stage with Fox... Those definitely were good times. We had a ton of fun. In a way, Smash helped bring us closer together than anything else had prior. To this day, whenever my brother challenges me to Brawl I can never bring myself to turn him down. It's kind of magical how one can never grow bored of Smashing, no matter how long it's been since your last kerfluffle.

Smash also introduced me to other franchises I had never heard of or knew very little about at the time - like F-ZERO, Fire Emblem, and Pikmin!

Nerf Herder EX

Smash Rookie
One thing I love about Melee is that even after 13 years I'm still learning new things about it. People are still discovering new techniques and strategies in 2014. How many games can you say that about?

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I grew up on Smash 64 and have a lot of rest memories playing it with my brother, cousin and friends. I actually played it fairly regularly up until around 2006, and then I briefly got out of gaming during that time. So it is very nostalgic for me, even playing the later installments brings back good memories.

On a more tangible level, I love how unique it is for a fighting game. As a huge fighting game fan it definitely has made a name for itself for not being like a typical 2D or 3D fighter and having very different gameplay mechanics. It is also a love letter to Nintendo fans (myself being a huge one) allowing them to pit their favorite Nintendo characters against each other in an almost "what if they fought" battle scenario. I very, very cool idea imo.

I'm not competitive with any of the titles, but it is also one of the most fun games to play against other people. I typically enjoy my games offline, but I have definitely made an exception with Sm4sh. Love playing other people no matter how much worse or better they are than me.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I have no particular reasons I may be passionate about Smash. While it may introduce me to other series and histories of franchises, I felt a bit curious to explore more about their history as a company. When I discovered Nintendo's strategies to survive in various industries, from playing cards and services to gadget toys and games, along with recent quality-of-life devices. Nintendo Magic has helped me understand Nintendo's persistence the most since they managed to find ways to stay afloat in hard times.

As I grew older and took interest in game design degree in UC Santa Cruz, it reminded me again about Smash from SSB4 since crafting distinct experiences is a tough and straining journey. It also taught me the idea of human element being vital in crafting games and worlds whether it would be in forms of blogs, fictions, or even official works.

Top Bottom