• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you guys think Evo dropped Melee?

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
I dont know a lot of skill about melee and im just wondering why do you guys think Evo dropped melee this year.Also, I have to say Hugo (HugS) was right that Evo would drop Melee...

After all that The Melee community did to get back into the Evo Championship series Evo dropped Melee from their lineup for Samurai Showdown. R.I.P Melee I was considering entering Melee for Evo but now that they dropped it I cant :(.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Legacy games always have a finite lifetime at EVO. even 3rd Strike and Super turbo, 2 games that were yearly constants during EVO's beginnings, saw their end. It was just it's time.

donnaddrake

Smash Rookie
I believe they think since it's an old game they wanted new blood and experiences hence why they put Samurai in. Its sad though that they turned away this community but luckily Ultimate is still in.

D

Deleted member

The game requires too many special accommodations to feature there anyway, said accommodations also being finite.

It was a matter of time before Melee was dropped anyway and people need to accept that.

Last edited by a moderator:

RioluNebula

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5386-9779-5166
i have no idea honestly. Melee was one of the, if not the most, hype games on their list. I think they wanted to get rid of melee because that's not what they want to be known for. They want their audience to discover new games and such, and they also want to keep everything relevant. Sure, Melee is over 10 years old, but c'mon EVO, that doesn't mean its bad, even to today's standards

mysticfedora

do your f*cking sh*t and LET'S GO!
I'll give you the real answer: money.

Melee isn't supported by Nintendo, and although it's wildly popular among ssbm players and randos at large - new games have more money thrown at them and obviously the new and shiny overpowers the old and worn in.

I think it'll be back.

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
I'll give you the real answer: money.

Melee isn't supported by Nintendo, and although it's wildly popular among ssbm players and randos at large - new games have more money thrown at them and obviously the new and shiny overpowers the old and worn in.

I think it'll be back.
But when exactly do you think melee will make a return in your opinion

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Ultimate is supported by Nintendo because SSBU and the Switch are currently being sold today. You have to remember that above all else, Nintendo is a publicly traded company, and it is their obligation to make the right decisions to make investors money.

Nintendo hopes that viewers are going to watch this tournament and say "oh wow that's a cool game! How do I play it?" and then go out to buy a switch with SSBU. What Nintendo doesn't want is for people to watch other people play melee, then go out and spend money on an old system and old game (or decide to emulate it for free.)

I am going to speculate a bit here, but I think the EVO TO's are receiving some money from game devs to feature their games in the tournaments. I have nothing factual to base this on, but this type of thing happens in every facet of life so I wouldnt be surprised if its happening here too. If true, this gives EVO incentive to act with Nintendo's interests and therefore, drop Melee from the lineup, because in the end, it wont make Nintendo money.

I think the only way Melee will return to Evo is if Ultimate loses popularity to the point that Sm4sh did. If nobody is watching Ultimate, both EVO and Nintendo dont want that. When it gets bad enough, and there is enough demand for Melee again, they will re-add it.

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
I think the only way Melee will return to Evo is if Ultimate loses popularity to the point that Sm4sh did. If nobody is watching Ultimate, both EVO and Nintendo dont want that. When it gets bad enough, and there is enough demand for Melee again, they will re-add it.
Or if EVO decides to make another charity fundraising, I think that's the only way Melee could re-enter the big stage.

TwoBuck

Smash Rookie
Every game has a finite time at EVO, think of all the other legendary games that were also dropped from EVO. Honestly, I'm really surprised Melee made it even remotely close to this long. It's even more surprising that we made it this long when you consider all the special treatment Melee needs with CRTs, old consoles and whatnot. We Melee people should count ourselves lucky and be happy it happened, not angry that it ended. And besides, it's not like EVO is the end of the world, Melee survived just fine before the revival of Melee, and Melee is a lot bigger than it was then, so I think we'll do fine!

Sure, it's a bummer, I'm not gonna act like I'm not sad about it, but I just want people to be understanding and rational about the situation. People who go around acting salty about this just makes the Melee community look bad and helps to perpetuate the stereotypes.

Also, hi Smash boards! Long time lurker finally making an account! Been visiting this place on and off since like, shoot, I dunno, before Brawl was released and everyone was talking about the characters they wanted in! (GENO4BRAWL anyone?) I'm sad I waited this long!

Last edited:

mysticfedora

do your f*cking sh*t and LET'S GO!
But when exactly do you think melee will make a return in your opinion
I think in 2020, LOL. Honestly that quickly wouldn't surprise me - however that's a generous estimate. So to be slightly more realistic you could say 2021, but I truly do believe Melee is going to stick around in the mainstream fighting scene. We just had so many new games under iconic IP franchises, including Smash, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to have a 17 year old game in there - especially with it's story line not being the hypest it's ever been. IDK how much Mr. Wizard cares about story lines / result possibilities though when it comes to him deciding which games to include.

The equipment
This actually might be more negligible than you might think nowadays. Here in my home town we have the Portland Retro Gaming Expo and for the past two years our local scene has made it a point to host a melee tournament there, and this year 100% of the set ups were ran on HDTV's with the GameCube HD adapter. Very minimal lag if any at all, and we had like 30~ set ups.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

Ultimate is not going to stick around. Whatever qualities it may or may not have, it's already lost Melee's top players.

Top Bottom