• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do we get mad at Online but not Offline?

Nubby

Smash Cadet
I've heard from some people that when playing friendlies offline at a local or tourney they keep their cool and not getting salty at the game. But online, people seem to get very salty online more then offline. Why do people get salty less offline then online? I'm just curious to why it is.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I am definitely one of these people. I think it's because Online, peoples' intentions aren't clear. And also it's easier to be mean on the internet.

If I lose to a Captain Falcon online from a Falcon Punch, and then he taunts and doesn't rematch, I take that as a personal attack on my skill. Whenever the same happens in person and the dude is super friendly and we both pop off together, then ends the set with a hand shake, there's no way I could be mad about it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
No one online can hear you *****, moan, and groan, unless you have voice chat on, I suppose. Your reputation won't look good offline if you do the same thing as you would online. What does this demonstrate? It demonstrates that people can control their emotions, but for whatever reason they choose not to.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Another thing people online do is abuse lag and they teabag everytime they hit you. Its ok though, usually if you teabag back everytime you hit them and beat them it makes it a million times better because people like that are 10x saltier.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've heard from some people that when playing friendlies offline at a local or tourney they keep their cool and not getting salty at the game. But online, people seem to get very salty online more then offline. Why do people get salty less offline then online? I'm just curious to why it is.
Same reason it's hard to interpret emotion via text. You can't see the person's facial expression or hear their tone of voice when playing online. You can playing in person. You can discern the difference between someone being rude and someone goofing around with you because they're sitting right there. That, and most people don't have as many issues controlling emotions when there's someone else involved versus being alone.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Another thing people online do is abuse lag and they teabag everytime they hit you. Its ok though, usually if you teabag back everytime you hit them and beat them it makes it a million times better because people like that are 10x saltier.
I take tea bagging as a sign of egotistical fragility most of the time. There are certain instances where it seems tea bagging is innocuous, but if you start tea bagging mid-match or tea bag because of how I play a certain way, it just tells me I'm in your head and I'm apathetic about it. Unless your analog stick is broken.

Tect0nic

Smash Rookie
If someone beats me because the game lags and I SD, I'm gonna be pretty salty. But if I lose because they're simply better than me or did a sick play, I'm not gonna be mad. Of course that's not always true for some people. There have been people at my locals that throw their controllers or even yell at people because they lost.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Because Ultimate's online is already pretty bad anyway and it's even worse when you lose to something you wouldn't see in a tournament like spam, lag, or teabagging.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Having a rating tied to your performance is an excellent way to induce saltiness after a loss.

That may be a big part of it too.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
A friend of mine threw his controller last night across the room while we were playing, after he was about to win and I made an epic comeback. It took an enormous amount of energy for me not to just burst out laughing at him. He threw the controller, stood up, and held the power button on the Switch until it turned off, and then sat on the couch dead silent for about 5 minutes sighing intensely.

Saltiness happens offline too, and when it does it's so funny.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
I feel like it's more rage inducing online since everyone is tied to the GSP system, even casual players who don't consider themselves competitive players. Every single match will increase or decrease your GSP depending on whether you won/lost the game, and any game that has some sort of ranked based system will bound to have salty people angry after a loss. People's intentions online aren't clear, and it's easy to troll.

It definitely happens offline as well, it's not only online. Even those who can keep calm in locals or tournaments after a loss sometimes can get frustrated, but will still shake/fistbump their opponents hand. And then there are those who get salty and walk away without a fist bump or handshake.

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
My rage is tied to the fact that inputs are plain out ignored in 70% of my matches and that I'm so behind with screen lag that I see players charging in for an attack before the "GO" appears on my screen and I still can't move.

THAT IS SO FUN!

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
for me in smash it really has been the GSP decrease..of course i still won't like losing but hell if i lose alot of GSP it's literally that what angers me.
like a small while ago i decided to pick up Megaman for the first time and since i haven't played him i really had to get used to his moves so i had a small losing streak i went from 4.5 mil to 560k with only losing 4 to 5 matches..i was so ****ing pissed at the game not that i lost but because of the rediculous GSP decrease..
i got him back to 4 mil the next day but for real..this can be so frustrating >.>

Last edited:
Top Bottom