• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people want to pay for online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
"oh, you want the smash ultimate gamecube controller? It's only available for online subscribers."

Are you implying that it's not incredibly anti consumer?
If you got the controllers for no extra cost like the additional content I suggested then no, it's not at all anti consumer as it would be giving people more stuff for their money. There is a big difference between “you have to pay for online AND this additional content” and “you get this extra content bundled with the online at no additional cost” I don't really see an issue for them including FREE extra content tied to the online service because it gives more of a reason to pay for it.

Specifically for the NES controllers, I would say it's not at all anti consumer either since its not like you need them to play the NES games, It's just like the random one-off amiibos or other accessories that have fairly limited use.

Last edited:

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
Simple, I would rather pay for stable online than not pay for unplayable online.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm getting mixed reception on Nintendo's current online service. I don't have a Switch yet, so I can't really give my own opinion on it. But being the centrist that I am, at $20 a year, it's quite a steal. Though, it wouldn't hurt to have more options. $40-$80 a year for better services I'd happily pay for, but $20 a year for NES games and some cloud saving isn't cutting it for some people, and I can understand where they're coming from.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I coudn't care less about the NES games. I respect these games, but today, at least half of the avaiable are super dated and not appealing, and the other half is Mario, Zelda, Metroid and one or other popular series that I already played a lot, and have better versions of the same game on SNES. The other games are a bunch of minigames like browser games from 30 years ago.
Actually, I would preffer if they gave to us the NES Remix 1 and 2 they did on WiiU for free instead of these games, cause at least I would care a bit more and they have a good value.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I always thought it was too generous for Nintendo to give us free online. As bare-bones as it was, it was free. And it worked pretty decently since Mario Kart DS until my last matches of Mario Kart 8 DX. It was something no other console company ever did.

I will pay Nintendo Online, because just like DLC, it was bound to happen. But I agree that the NES controllers are pointless, they can keep those.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Well... thats the worst reply I have ever got in 2018... about anything. I almost feel inclined to pay for 2 Nintendo Onlines.
I'm not surprised lol. Have you ever owned a non-nintendo console in the last 15 years though? Do you not realize how wrong you are with the "no other company ever did that"?

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I'm not surprised lol. Have you ever owned a non-nintendo console in the last 15 years though? Do you not realize how wrong you are with the "no other company ever did that"?
You could have called me out on my mistake instead of just going for a "Nintendofanboy" remark. Really pointless if you just mock me. This is why people tend to ignore Nintendo fanboys and haters alike.

Keeping it civilized. I only know of PC with the free online. Always thought of it as an entire different case. Each company decides if they charge for online services or not.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Don't get so upset about the remark. I mean, it's true, isn't it? You only buy Nintendo systems

Anyway PS2, ps3, vita, psp, valve all had it

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I have a Xbox 360 and now I have a PS4 Slim, so not true at all.
In fact, I cancelled my PS Plus because I was only using it for Monster Hunter World. But I will probably pay a month at least when Soul Calibur 6 comes out.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
anyone who buys switch online is a mindless sheep ! the switch itself is capable of native voice chat YET nintendo refuses to give us simple voice chat or party chat with freinds! if i can't communicate with freinds then there is no point to paying for online no matter how "cheap" it is & NO ! SOME OF US DON'T HAVE PHONE CAPABLE OF USING THERE CRAPPY PHONE APP! or have accsess to skype or discored! I SHOULDN"T HAVE TO USE ANY OF THESE THINGS !

if we all just boycott it NOW & speak with are wallets then nintendo will have no choice but to add GOOD STANDARD features otherwise your "support" for nintendo will just tell them its ok to keep being backwards & they won't change! its almost 2019 & they still have less features then xbox 360 or PS3 ! HECK WII U ONLINE WAS FREE! & HAD MORE FEATURES usb saves was one of them

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Simple, I would rather pay for stable online than not pay for unplayable online.
You believe the online will improve?

If you got the controllers for no extra cost like the additional content I suggested then no, it's not at all anti consumer as it would be giving people more stuff for their money. There is a big difference between “you have to pay for online AND this additional content” and “you get this extra content bundled with the online at no additional cost” I don't really see an issue for them including FREE extra content tied to the online service because it gives more of a reason to pay for it.

Specifically for the NES controllers, I would say it's not at all anti consumer either since its not like you need them to play the NES games, It's just like the random one-off amiibos or other accessories that have fairly limited use.
So I guess locking characters, system updates or EShop behind the online isn't anti consumer.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
the way nintendo do things NO online will not improve nintendo have a habit of sticking to there guns & not budging untill the next console comes out THEN they slowly catch up & repeat they did it with wii u & they will do it again

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You believe the online will improve?
Since they are charging now, they might actually have the initiative to invest on infrastructure and features more than ever. Got nothing to support the fact if they will or won't right now, but hopefully they do it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Y'know, I have no problems with the subscription existing, but I will admit it has some issues.

The voice chat...why on a phone? Everyone else let's you use the console itself. I know Nintendo likes to have little twists and explore new ideas, but is this necessary? Tbh, though, I don't really voicechat much, but I can see this being seen as inconvenient and an issue.

Cloud saves...same reason as Voice Chat, along with no one else making you pay for them.

NES games...I actually like this because I won't have to rely on an unofficial emulator for most games I know I like, but since most of the younger audience would have no interest in them...

So, yeah, it has problems, but I'll still get it sometime, because I personally have no quarrels with it.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
So I guess locking characters, system updates or EShop behind the online isn't anti consumer.
Nobody said anything about locking the EShop or system updates behind the online subscription, you keep quoting my posts and saying entirely unrelated things. I said originally that some kind of DLC where you get more fighters bundled with the online would not be a bad thing and you're out here talking about controllers and system updates (which I highly doubt would ever get locked behind an online subscription in the first place)

And no, if the characters are included with the online for no additional cost, it is not anti-consumer, I suggested a Season Pass that you get for free when you subscribe to online, which I'm sure you wouldn't complain about if it just had a separate $20 listing on the EShop. I agree that if you had to buy online to even "qualify" to buy DLC characters, that would be BS, but just locking them behind online is fine (as long as they are not part of the base game and/or you didn't have to pay for them)

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Nobody said anything about locking the EShop or system updates behind the online subscription, you keep quoting my posts and saying entirely unrelated things. I said originally that some kind of DLC where you get more fighters bundled with the online would not be a bad thing and you're out here talking about controllers and system updates (which I highly doubt would ever get locked behind an online subscription in the first place)
Nintendo is locking NES controllers though.

If Nintendo makes the DLC free for online subscribers and the dlc can be purchased without subscribing then yes people wouldn't care but I took your message as "only subscribers get DLC, DLC is free"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I probably won't get this, because I don't really have any interest in playing online, and don't have any use for any of the other features.

I might have if my Pokemon Bank was included, but it's not so...I won't.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Currently the only reason I see myself even considering getting switch online is just to play Splatoon 2 and Smash Ultimate online... I'm trying the free trial and while I had a little fun with the NES games.... I have more fun playing games from pretty much every era of nintendo that came after, well besides any era with Wii in the title.

Here's hoping they give me more reasons to jump on board with this switch online by the time smash ultimate comes out, if not, I'll probably smash offline for a while.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Here is a question I have had on this and some concerns I have had with this.

Are we getting noticeable improvements with online? People have said we get better internet, but then what about all of the PC games that get it for free? What are we getting that is worth it over the free version? This has been my main problem with it since I don’t see what is being offered over let’s say a PC game? That is something I gotta ask? Do we have a comparison?

With Nintendo they don’t do multi platform but let’s say GTA5 with PS4 vs PC. Is it more stable on PC? I got nothing on this. What about deals? Well steam has this along with discount, so what deals do we get with Nintendo online? We get discounts sometimes as is but outside of new controllers what else?

The problem is the lack of communication or if not the lack of value stated. I could buy into the idea of paid online but it needs to show better value than games like ones on PC.

I’m still going to get it, which makes me a hypocrite, but I still don’t like the idea.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Nintendo is locking NES controllers though.

If Nintendo makes the DLC free for online subscribers and the dlc can be purchased without subscribing then yes people wouldn't care but I took your message as "only subscribers get DLC, DLC is free"
You also don't need to buy them to play the games and you can still buy them if you really want a pretty NES paperweight, so I don't really see the issue. How many Switch games would properly work with an NES controller if it wasn't locked to the NES game service anyway? I do think there should be a cheaper plan to get the NES games without the online, though and those controllers are way too expensive IMO, but I digress.

Also that is basically what I said, if they gave you $20 worth of Smash content for subscribing to the online service over time, would that not be the same thing as buying a $20 Season Pass or DLC bundle on the EShop?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
You also don't need to buy them to play the games and you can still buy them if you really want a pretty NES paperweight, so I don't really see the issue. How many Switch games would properly work with an NES controller if it wasn't locked to the NES game service anyway? I do think there should be a cheaper plan to get the NES games without the online, though and those controllers are way too expensive IMO, but I digress.

Also that is basically what I said, if they gave you $20 worth of Smash content for subscribing to the online service over time, would that not be the same thing as buying a $20 Season Pass or DLC bundle on the EShop?
I wager that Mario Kart would work. Smash Bros could be doable. The NES controllers aren't worth buying no matter what but this shows that Nintendo will be greedy as possible.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Here is a question I have had on this and some concerns I have had with this.

Are we getting noticeable improvements with online? People have said we get better internet, but then what about all of the PC games that get it for free? What are we getting that is worth it over the free version? This has been my main problem with it since I don’t see what is being offered over let’s say a PC game? That is something I gotta ask? Do we have a comparison?

With Nintendo they don’t do multi platform but let’s say GTA5 with PS4 vs PC. Is it more stable on PC? I got nothing on this. What about deals? Well steam has this along with discount, so what deals do we get with Nintendo online? We get discounts sometimes as is but outside of new controllers what else?

The problem is the lack of communication or if not the lack of value stated. I could buy into the idea of paid online but it needs to show better value than games like ones on PC.

I’m still going to get it, which makes me a hypocrite, but I still don’t like the idea.
Smash and nintendo games are not on pc so what pc charges is invalid.

31fps

Banned via Warnings
No one wants to pay for online. Switch online is a pile of hot garbage

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
i'm not really optimistic about nintendo online. it so far has had a terrible reputation with some games, the voice app is barely functional and is completely overshadowed by discord, and the library of classic games seems to only appeal to long time gamers. besides online, there is nothing in this pack of goodies i am interested in, and i would much rather keep it free.

Last edited:

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I don't like it either, but it's really cheap and they'll hopefully improve it in the future.

What makes you think Nintendo will actually improve the online?
Because people won't give them money if they don't do so. Believe me, if the service stays horrible then people won't pay for long.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For the record, we've decided to close this topic due to it going nowhere other than tons of fighting. Likewise, we don't want another similar topic. If one will be allowed, it must be discussed with the staff first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom