• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people want to pay for online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Nintendo will release ****ty NES controllers that only work and are only available for online subscribers.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...ontrollers-only-work-with-emulated-nes-games/

If you don't boycott this they might think this is a good idea; so they tell each other that they should lock more features behind online and may decide to make characters only unlockable through online modes or maybe even make characters only available to subscribers.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
So I don't have to play with whiny humans who won't front $20 a year to ensure Nintendo supports an online community. That's why I'll pay for online.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
We don't want to pay for online, we have to.
Sony and MS have already been charging for online for years, (at three times the price, even) Nintendo aren't going to change their minds.
And they wouldn't lock characters behind paid online, nobody does that.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yes this online service legit sucks. It sucks for all of us here for sure because I'm sure most of us want to play Ultimate online together BUT they are giving us NOTHING of value. I don't care about playing 30 year old NES games when most of them aren't fun to play anymore, the ability to purchase overpriced NES controllers that ONLY work with the online service, the cloud saves are half-assed implemented with only SOME games supporting it and will be deleted within a few days if you can't re-up. The Switch online itself is very hit-miss. I get communication errors out the butt when I play Splatoon 2 and MK8: Deluxe online and lag galore when I play ARMS and Mario Tennis Aces. No it's not my connection, I have really good internet speeds and my PS4 rarely lags. The phone app is legit pointless and a GARBAGE solution to voice chat and only supports SOME games (which can be looked at as a good thing tbh). Nintendo delayed this service for a YEAR and a HALF promising more features/surprises to be revealed and originally promised SNES games as part of the service on launch. They lied about both things. They didn't even bother going into details about the "special offers" which makes me believe Nintendo STILL hasn't figured it all out even after a damn near 2 year delay.

It's a real shame when the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS had better online capabilities and options then the Switch does in 2018 but it costs more....

Wii U had an internet browser (a fantastic one I might add), Miiverse (which was convoluted) but it let you send messages to friends, video chat (even if it was rarely used and you had to be out of a game to use it). It had multimedia apps like Netflix, Crunchyroll, Youtube, etc. It didn't require stupid friend codes to add people, had game invites, screenshot sharing to facebook, it had on system voice chat support. This was in 2012 and was free...

3DS had miiverse, a messaging system at first with Swapnote but was shut down, multimedia apps like Netflix and youtube, on system voice chat, an internet browser (on the New 3DS), themes.

Wii had a messaging system, on system voice chat (even if rarely any games used it), had a bunch of weird but wacky apps like Check Mii Out, Weather, Everybody Votes, multimedia apps like Netflix and Youtube, had an internet browser. This was in 2007 and it was FREE.

Switch has....Hulu, cloud saves, 30 second video/screenshot capture to Facebook/Twitter, and NES games. Now pay us $20!

See how I didn't even mention Sony/Microsoft (since to most Nintendo fans that's frowned upon to compare) but just comparing it to Nintendo's own past offerings make Switch online a joke even compared to their past.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Nobody wants to pay for online. But Nintnedo isn't asking if we want to or not, they're saying "do it or don't"
I'm probably not going to pay for online myself, at least not right away. The only online game I have is Splatoon 2 and I haven't touched it in a while... I'm way more of a local multiplayer kind of guy, and frankly, I love NES games, but I don't really need a 5th method of playing NES games.

I'm just glad that when I finally do decide to pay for online, it's going to be $20 a year, and not something absurd.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I want to pay for online. I actually do want to pay for online. I want to pay for online because then Nintendo has incentive to keep and maintain their servers longer. If we had paid for Wii online, then we would've had Wii online for as long as it was profitable. I want the Switch online to last for as long as it is profitable.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Because we get what we pay for, and we're sick of crappy $0 online "infrastructure."

aarchak

Smash Ace
I'm going to hold off on giving Nintendo money until they show that their service is good, then I'll see. Currently I have nothing that uses it, but when Ultimate comes out, I'll consider if it's good by then. I doubt it's going to be very good at launch. Whether or not they improve their service in the next few months to be something worth buying is something we will all have to see.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
The online seems to be trash from the looks of it, but $20 a year, you get what you pay for amirite?

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
The online is total garbage. Lack of actual voice chat. Complicated app bull crap. NES games that barely anyone care about as a feature. A cloud save that isn't on all games not to mention is free on other platforms. The online won't get better. A ton of Nintendo games are Player to player which means that the game uses your Switch (your internet) connection to host games. Only buying when Smash Ultimate comes and that if I have seen actual improvement in the online. I'm not paying something in return for nothing of value to me. At least give me Netflix/ YouTube and a party chat with actual ways of messaging your friends for the love of god.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't want to pay for online either. But you know what? It supports one of my favorite companies, it will hopfully help online smash, and besides, its 20$ a year? How is that even a big deal? Smh...

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'm holding out till December since I don't have a Switch so I have 3 or so months to judge if it's a good investment or not (I'll probably still get it anyways because I don't like feeling locked out of something)

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I want to pay for online. I actually do want to pay for online. I want to pay for online because then Nintendo has incentive to keep and maintain their servers longer. If we had paid for Wii online, then we would've had Wii online for as long as it was profitable. I want the Switch online to last for as long as it is profitable.
Because we get what we pay for, and we're sick of crappy $0 online "infrastructure."
I don't want to pay for online either. But you know what? It supports one of my favorite companies, it will hopfully help online smash, and besides, its 20$ a year? How is that even a big deal? Smh...
So I don't have to play with whiny humans who won't front $20 a year to ensure Nintendo supports an online community. That's why I'll pay for online.

You think they will use the money to improve servers?

We don't want to pay for online, we have to.
Sony and MS have already been charging for online for years, (at three times the price, even) Nintendo aren't going to change their minds.
And they wouldn't lock characters behind paid online, nobody does that.
Microsoft tried to charge for PC online and people refused to do so, therefore they had to make it free.

Also, I think this is the first time anyone has ever locked controllers behind a subscription. Which is just as anti consumer if not more.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't want to, but if I can only play Sma5h online through payment, then that's what I'm going to do.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
No one wants to pay for anything. Paying $20 a year to play Smash online is not a huge ask though since the game is well worth over $60. There will be backlash for this though and I'm hoping Nintendo will take a hint.

D

Deleted member

Microsoft tried to charge for PC online and people refused to do so, therefore they had to make it free.

Also, I think this is the first time anyone has ever locked controllers behind a subscription. Which is just as anti consumer if not more.
And if they don't they don't but its not gonna kill us to pay 20$ lol you are kind making a big stink about nothing sorry not to be rude...

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
ppl need to stop comparing this to microsoft and sony paid online there price is 4o dollars higher so of course it have more stuff

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't want to pay for it either, but I want to play Smash, Mario Kart, Pokken and DB Fighterz online so I don't have much of a choice. They've got me good. At least $20 is a price I don't mind paying.

With that said, it's baffling that they don't have a message feature with it. It would feel much more justified if they've included the ability to chat with your friends. I hope the Smartphone app at least uses some form of text message.

Nintendo delayed this service for a YEAR and a HALF promising more features/surprises to be revealed and originally promised SNES games as part of the service on launch. They lied about both things.
Did they promise SNES titles? I don't remember that.

Maybe, maybe not, hopefully. If they want people to pay for their service they better do it.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
The real question is do we need another thread to complain about this? Honestly, if you don't want to pay for it, then don't pay. It doesn't require people to make thread after thread about how terrible they're perceiving it to be.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
The real question is do we need another thread to complain about this? Honestly, if you don't want to pay for it, then don't pay. It doesn't require people to make thread after thread about how terrible they're perceiving it to be.
Well all you're doing is allowing Nintendo to scam you. If everyone here continued to pay for online, Nintendo may do other anti consumer practices most notably locking characters behind the paywall.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Paying for an online service isn't anti consumer... Compare Nintendo's history of straight up garbage internet vs. Sony and Microsoft's service. I'm absolutely willing to pay $20 a year for that. *provided they actually improve their infrastructure, which to be fair I have no evidence as to whether they've done that

Asking people to pay for something that requires upkeep is nothing, and the fact that they come out and charge the equivalent of an average restaurant meal for it annually when their competitors are charging 3x that is pretty neat. I have no complaints. Also, the NES game thing is tight af

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
People want more from their WiFi services, but that can't happen if they're free. Every cent counts, and 20$ a year is more than enough to improve servers. Doing that would tell everyone that they're hearing community complaints and give them a positive image attracting more consumers. They have every reason to contribute that money to servers. They do have every right to choose not to, but then people wouldn't buy the service for more than one payment. In reality, Nintendo, after many years of missing out, is just hopping on the bandwagon because they finally see why their competition has been benefiting in the long run. Microsoft and Sony have been charging for online services so they can improve said services. You're reasoning for hating the online service seems to be based on your unsupported assumption that Nintendo is just another greedy company.

And for the record, Nintendo is not going to lock any fighter behind a f***ing paywall. That's a business decisions that would be even stupider than charging for online and not putting the money towards their online services. Please stop advertising speculation of nightmare situations as fact. Not a single person reading this thread is buying it.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Paying for an online service isn't anti consumer... Compare Nintendo's history of straight up garbage internet vs. Sony and Microsoft's service. I'm absolutely willing to pay $20 a year for that. *provided they actually improve their infrastructure, which to be fair I have no evidence as to whether they've done that

Asking people to pay for something that requires upkeep is nothing, and the fact that they come out and charge the equivalent of an average restaurant meal for it annually when their competitors are charging 3x that is pretty neat. I have no complaints. Also, the NES game thing is tight af
You think the servers will change once it becomes paid?

Oh and Microsoft tried to charge for online on PC and people said no

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868

Oh and Microsoft tried to charge for online on PC and people said no
My point is contingent on that, which is something I edited into my comment prior to your response, as seen here:

*provided they actually improve their infrastructure, which to be fair I have no evidence as to whether they've done that
Also, Microsoft trying to charge online for PC would be dumb because, as far as I am aware, 98% of online games for PC are not on Microsoft servers, so it wouldn't make sense for them to charge for a service they aren't even providing.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
My point is contingent on that, which is something I edited into my comment prior to your response, as seen here:

Also, Microsoft trying to charge online for PC would be dumb because, as far as I am aware, 98% of online games for PC are not on Microsoft servers, so it wouldn't make sense for them to charge for a service they aren't even providing.
Implying that Nintendo's online games are on their own dedicated servers

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Yes they will. I feel like you didn't even read what I said which directly addresses this statement you made right below it. Please read my previous post if you want to know why servers will improve. I'll even quote the part where it's stated for you.
People want more from their WiFi services, but that can't happen if they're free. Every cent counts, and 20$ a year is more than enough to improve servers. Doing that would tell everyone that they're hearing community complaints and give them a positive image attracting more consumers. They have every reason to contribute that money to servers. They do have every right to choose not to, but then people wouldn't buy the service for more than one payment.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
If this investment results in better dedicated servers for Smash Ultimate, I will pay very happy. In Smash 4 I was only able to play 1v1 online matches without lag. Matches with 4 players were almost all of them full of lag, at the point of being frustrating, enfuriating, and not worth playing.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Yes they will. I feel like you didn't even read what I said which directly addresses this statement you made right below it. Please read my previous post if you want to know why servers will improve. I'll even quote the part where it's stated for you.
Are there dedicated servers or is it peer to peer?

If it's peer to peer then there's nothing to improve for online

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
That also should imply that games from companies that are not Nintendo, and have their own servers, should not require the online service from nintendo. Just like Fortinite and Paladins. This would be unffair, except if Nintendo destinates part of the money for the companies, cause if not, Nintendo is just using the other games

I dont see the servers for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon getting better.. they don't need it. These games already run pretty smoothly, no lag at all. The only game I have problems to play online since the release date is Mario Tennis Aces, that I'm unable to find people to play a match that doesnt have impossible lag. And I have no expectatives that it will change. But for Smash, I expect nothing less than dedicated servers. If I'm unable to play a 4-player smash or 2x2 without lag, I will be very disappointed.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Well, according to my real brief internet search, you're right that most if not all of their stuff is P2P. I suppose that would mean that the only difference is that Microsoft wouldn't even so much as provide matchmaking servers for online PC games, whereas I expect Nintendo would have to provide that, as the other consoles do IIRC. Even if that's the case, it's an insignificant difference.

With that in mind I have no further points to make. I don't personally mind, because it's cheap, but it makes sense that some would be upset about the seemingly purposeless addition of a cost for online play.

Hope more information comes out and it ends up justified

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet

You're right. If it's peer to peer, then little can be done. The thing about that statement is that $20 a year is more than enough to make new upgrade dedicated servers and/or upgrade existing ones assuming enough people want to pay for the service. If the service succeeds, then I don't see anything Switch related being peer to peer in the coming years.

Last edited:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
"scam"

Yes, because paying and then receiving everything they tell you about beforehand, is a scam.
The issue I see is that what we're paying for is 20 NES games. Everything else about the service is either not good, not wanted, or too vague. Plus some features have annoying caveats attached to them making them even more undesirable. This is not how you sell a service to someone, by making it more inconvenient to use than if you didn't have it.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
The issue I see is that what we're paying for is 20 NES games. Everything else about the service is either not good, not wanted, or too vague. Plus some features have annoying caveats attached to them making them even more undesirable. This is not how you sell a service to someone, by making it more inconvenient to use than if you didn't have it.
It's why I'm playing the long game and waiting till December to get online (once I get Ultimate and a Switch)

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I honestly don't see an issue with locking additional content behind the online depending on how it is implemented. If they were to release an additional fighter or echo every month that you could only get by playing some matches online, similar to what Mario Tennis does, would that not be worth the $20 for a year? Because I know if that same bundle was put on the eShop on its own and not tied to online no one would say a thing. Obviously that's entirely theoretical, but just trying to say that locking content behind online is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I honestly don't see an issue with locking additional content behind the online depending on how it is implemented. If they were to release an additional fighter or echo every month that you could only get by playing some matches online, similar to what Mario Tennis does, would that not be worth the $20 for a year? Because I know if that same bundle was put on the eShop on its own and not tied to online no one would say a thing. Obviously that's entirely theoretical, but just trying to say that locking content behind online is not necessarily a bad thing.
I would not be against subscribers getting a dlc discount

Arrei

Smash Lord
I don't like having to pay for online, but I think getting mad at Nintendo for it is meaningless. This was a wave started by the other two console giants, and they're just the last stronghold that still stood against its eroding effects.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
"oh, you want the smash ultimate gamecube controller? It's only available for online subscribers."

Are you implying that it's not incredibly anti consumer?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I don't like having to pay for online, but I think getting mad at Nintendo for it is meaningless. This was a wave started by the other two console giants, and they're just the last stronghold that still stood against its eroding effects.
Then again, I think I saw a similar thread by the same OP regarding the online well before this month's direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom