• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people still play Brawl competitively?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Games such as Mario Parties 9 and 10 are **** as party games but they have unique modes that are fun to revisit such as Choice Challenge and Bowser Party.

Brawl is the slowest game in combat mechanics and controls like ****. Only reason to revisit it would be for rumble falls and items not in ultimate, which have no reason to be in competitive.

IBXgincat

Smash Rookie
The only brawl tournaments you will see nowadays are modded experiences, such as: project m, project plus, and occasionally brawl minus. These offer a different style to all Nintendo published smash games, however, on the rare occasion brawl is played in a tournament setting, it is usually for nostalgia of some sort.

hope this helped!

GhostM

Phantom
People still play Brawl competitively because of nostalgia and faithfulness to the game. Brawl is often seen as the weakest installment in the Smash series, although just because it's widely seen as the weakest doesn't mean that every single person is going to have the same view on it. There is bound for people who end up enjoying it more than others, and there's nothing wrong with that. Although it is a slower paced game, it places more emphasis on spacing, and reading your opponents. Even though Brawl was hated by many, it still had cool new things to introduce to Smash, such as the introduction of replays, footstools, and new tech like DACUS and Glide Toss.

I can understand that it's also not your cup of tea, and that's fine too, since not everyone is going to have the same view. I can understand the reasons as to why many people dislike Brawl, and I know that it isn't my cup of tea either, but I still respect those who play it competitively.

Last edited:

anon156

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
ANON#195
i still play brawl competitively, it is pretty fun to play, also besides there are a handful of brawl tournaments still around, you just need to know where to look.

Last edited:

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I've kind of moved on from competitive Smash to other fighter, but I'd still love to play from time to time however I don't have the energy to keep up with the meta of Ultimate or practice Melee tech like L-cancelling 25 hours a day. Brawl seems like the perfect "quiet" scene to play in, and of course I have heavy nostalgia for it as it's what got me into going to tournaments. I came for Brawl I'll stay for Brawl.

But of course finding a tournament is nearly impossible and I don't have the tech for online dolphin matches.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
When someone throws a Brawl tournament near me - which is not often - I will join in. If you overlook the terrible roster balance, it's actually as much of a competitively viable game as Ultimate and some will argue that it is a better game for competition (not content).

ehnkr2beboh

Smash Rookie
Aside from previous answers given, I'd say basically the opposite of the reason that people play Melee. It's very slow and methodical, with a very deep neutral. Plus, characters like MK are really fun to play, and if you main Olimar, Diddy Kong, etc. in later games, you'll probably enjoy things like DK having 2 bananas and Olimar having 6 Pikmin.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Brawl is great in its own right. The meta is deep and the tech in the game is fun. Also the brawl buffer window is great. I would argue brawl has the best item play out of all smash titles.

Last edited:

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
I'm nostalgic about Brawl. Favorite Smash game despite Melee being my first. I understand my bias, but I do genuinely like the way neutral works in this game. I also enjoy the techniques, some being character-specific that this game offered. I won't try to say it is better than Melee competitively, but I do think it is superior to Sm4sh and Ultimate.

Last edited:

Bizarro_Mask

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BMAS#377
Brawl is indeed very fun , not in the same way as the others smash but still is.

Top Bottom