• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people online leave after a single match???

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Would also like to add the fact that some people take the GSP too seriously, and get discouraged from playing if they can visually see the numbers go down while their opponents go higher. Some people tend to let this number get the best of them to the point where they are driven to play solely for the numbers, and tend to get very upset if they are outplayed or straight up lose the match.
This happens in said other games, too. What's happening here is that people are looking to this number as a progression system, when that's not how it's intended to function--its intention is to estimate your skill and then keep you there, so in theory, the less that number moves, the better the algorithm is working.

Whether this number should be hidden is a debate of itself, but more important I think is the need for a sense of progression outside of this number. Other online games do this with unlockable aesthetics, titles, etc. Rocket League is one such example. There are also potential ranking/experience systems that are influenced by winning, but still provide at least some progression for just playing a match through to the end. Unfortunately for all this potential, online remains an afterthought in Nintendo games.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I will say that one area I find this incredibly annoying is when I want to play teams. It's already like herding cats just to get into a team battle, but then a lot of people will just randomly leave, win or lose. I know they are not always leaving because of irl problems or they want to be done playing for the day, because I have to find another match and sometimes they are in them. This could be resolved if the dev team would implement the same considerations for the differences between teams and FFA that they do for 1v1, but until then it's annoying to have to wade through FFAs because someone decided GSP was more important or they couldn't handle losing once or something. Not like anyone plays teams in Elite.

SGG

Smash Rookie
I'm sure they have their reasons to leave, whether that be they don't wanna play anymore, they have to do something else, it's not worth their GSP, etc.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Sometimes people just don’t like the character you are playing. I dont care f i win or lose, i dont want to face an annoying character online more than i already have to.

eltorottv

Smash Rookie
That's because people fundamentally misunderstand what matchmaking ranks are supposed to be about. They're supposed to be a rough measurement to match you to people who are roughly equivalent to your skill level, not measure how good you are overall. It's structured so that there aren't extreme differences in skill level.

So for example, my Zelda is roughly in the 8.40 mil. range. With rare exceptions, I'm matched with people within 50,000 GSP above and below me. So if we isolate that within a 100,000 GSP section, I would be in the middle of that. I'll lose more GSP if I lose to people in the lower part of that 100,000 and gain more GSP if I win in the higher part of that 100,000 or the inverted where I'll get less GSP if I win against the lower and lose less if I lose against the higher.

Is it the most accurate measurement? Probably not, I tend to go fairly even with those 50,000 above me, but get janked often enough by lag or other things to keep me at my current placement. But it is accurate enough to prevent me from three stocking some dude in the 6 mil. range. And that's really all this mode is meant to do.

The problem with most MM ranking systems is that they don't make the ranks vague enough and tend to label them in a way that gives the appearance of ranking people relative to the population on the whole, instead of relative to their peers in experience. It should be something like Beginner/Adept/Advanced/Master instead of 1/2/3/4 or Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum. The former gives off a difficulty ranking quality, much like when one selects a difficulty mode in single player games. The latter two gives off a status vibe and is why people start tying their worth as a competitor so heavily to something that isn't supposed to measure that.

Ultimate had the right idea by declining to implement a leaderboard for ranked mode and making a separate tournament mode for those seeking measurement against the general populace. They just flubbed the execution by making rankings too vague and giving visual representation to declining and rising GSP, and made goofy and uncompetitive rulesets for tournament mode. Had they expanded the Elite concept and made various modes like that while hiding the actual rank numbers and made a competitive section for tournament mode based on the currently agreed upon competitive rules, then online would be a lot better in that regard.

That's why it's ultimately pointless to try to game the system and why I sympathize with Oz's frustration. All it's going to do is put you against players far better than you and they will correct your rank to where it should be. It's like trying to skip directly to an advanced music course or something to that effect. You'll just be completely lost at what to do and ultimately leave in embarrassment.
Stuff like this is why we need to bring back For Fun/For Glory that Smash 3ds/Wii U had. Ultimate while a great game, got the one thing horribly wrong and that's the online experience.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Stuff like this is why we need to bring back For Fun/For Glory that Smash 3ds/Wii U had. Ultimate while a great game, got the one thing horribly wrong and that's the online experience.
They also need to have different pools for the respective game modes again as well. I don't care if I have to play the same players frequently if I can get consistent team battles when I want to. Really, I have no idea why they didn't copy the framework of Smash 4 and just threw out what worked for a lot of stuff that didn't. I would honestly go back to Smash 4 if it wasn't for the fact that you are limited to FD, which is my least favorite of the legal stages.

Top Bottom