• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why do people like Subspace Emissary more than Smash Tour?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Smash Tour was garbage but SSE was a bigger pile of trash. SSE also was a big reason why Brawl played like **** and Smash Tour allows you to at least let CPU's take over for you. So why does SSE get so much love is beyond me.

On a related note, why do people like Brawl's Classic Mode more than Smash Wii U's? Classic Mode on Wii U wasn't exactly fun but it was more varied than Brawl.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Theoretically, Smash Tour SHOULD have been fun. When it was first leaked that there was going to be a Mario Party esque side mode, people were actually interested in the prospect. A board where everyone moves at the same time is where Mario Party has always been trash, and Smash Wii U used that form as opposed to Mario Party 1-8.
Subspace Emissary was the logical evolution to Melee Adventure Mode. It's literally just another Kirby game in an already banging game about Smash Bros. Cutscenes, Platforming, ADVENTURE. Literally the essence of many games from Nintendo's early days when everything was a platformer. Smash Tour on the other hand failed to emulate the beloved Mario Party 2. I could make a video on how Smash Tour COULD HAVE been good, now that I think about it. Whether or not you dislike or like either more than the other, the point stands, the Smash Tour mode failed harder due to it's potential being mishandled more as a standalone mode.

__

Brawl Classic Mode WAS ACTUALLY CLASSIC MODE! Classic being Smash Bros 64 Single Player Mode.
64: 1v1 > Yoshi Team > 1v1 > BTT > 2v2 > 1v1 > 3vGiant > BTP > Kirby Hat Team > 1v1 > Metal > RTTF > Polygon Team > Master Hand
Melee: 1v1 > 2v2 > BTT > 1v1 > 3vGiant > STT > 1v1 > Wireframe Team > RTTF > Metal > Master Hand
Brawl: Random layout modes in a similar vein to previous classic modes with some BTT to break up monotony.
Wii U: literally it's a you choose. The inclusion of 8 Player smash though is the biggest point of contention with the removal of BTT entirely being a close second. No BTT, 8-player smash which most people dislike unless they are playing with their friends, 7 Rounds, so it goes quicker than Brawl's 12 (really 10 if you take out the bonus rounds)
I'd say the only thing Wii U has over Brawl for classic mode is the addition of Master Fortress (personally i hated it)

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Well break the targets was boring in Brawl so it wasn't exactly a strong point. Brawl's classic mode just didn't have a lot of variety.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
SSE and Smash Tour are pretty different modes. Kind of funny to compare them.

People liked SSE because it was fun seeing a larger context for Nintendo characters working together. Collecting individual fighters and having your personal roster grow as you progressed was also rewarding. The boss fights were cool and pulled from all sorts of Nintendo history. There was customization, a variety of goodies to win, and a nifty risk/reward mechanic in the Trophy Stand/capturing element. It was also long and varied, with plenty of levels and great music to accompany them.

The core gameplay was a little janky due to how Smash Bros. "feels," but IMO hardly enough to call it garbage. It played sort of like a weirder, less-polished Kirby game, but was still worth the effort, and gave a larger context to Brawl that I felt was missing in SSB4.

Smash Tour was overly chaotic, even by Smash Bros. standards. I think it had one or two too many ideas implemented at the same time.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Define variety? Is brawl's random 1v1, 2v2, Giant, Metal, Team in a consistent Zelda > DK > etc format not in itself variety? Saying Brawl doesn't have enough variety defacto means you believe Smash Wii U Classic has more variety, shouldn't it? The variables in Wii U are Rivals and Intruders that are either Metal or Giant versions. You choose who you want to fight, but is choice variety? does the 5 fights you do before the Mii Team exemplify the variety of franchises of Nintendo like Brawl Classic mode in it's 8 battles before the Fighting Alloy Team? 8-player Smash is still a HARD negative in Classic Mode.

It's all a matter of perspective, and yours seems focused on the belief that "Smash Wii U was a good game", probably stemming from youtube videos from Shokio, RelaxAlax, or maybe even ScottTheWoz, but what do I know? So you're lashing out on the game everyone collectively agreed on had the best content overall as a package.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Define variety? Is brawl's random 1v1, 2v2, Giant, Metal, Team in a consistent Zelda > DK > etc format not in itself variety? Saying Brawl doesn't have enough variety defacto means you believe Smash Wii U Classic has more variety, shouldn't it? The variables in Wii U are Rivals and Intruders that are either Metal or Giant versions. You choose who you want to fight, but is choice variety? does the 5 fights you do before the Mii Team exemplify the variety of franchises of Nintendo like Brawl Classic mode in it's 8 battles before the Fighting Alloy Team? 8-player Smash is still a HARD negative in Classic Mode.

It's all a matter of perspective, and yours seems focused on the belief that "Smash Wii U was a good game", probably stemming from youtube videos from Shokio, RelaxAlax, or maybe even ScottTheWoz, but what do I know? So you're lashing out on the game everyone collectively agreed on had the best content overall as a package.
Brawl had some variety, but it didn't seem to differ much in playthrough compared to Melee and I mostly got 1 vs 1 matches. Smash Wii U didn't need to force 8 player smash and classic mode didn't have much variety either, but I could at least choose different opponents.

Also Brawl's content doesn't mean much when the gameplay is ****.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Well, Subspace Emissary while not perfect (it has pretty bland levels and not so great level design), it was still something cool, and a good attempt of a campaign mode for the series. It did somethings right, the cinematics and boss battles are pretty cool, and only having all these characters united fighting against a common enemy is something that felt special. While failing in being awesome, it was great enough and it showed that, maybe with more care, the Smash series can have a side scroller fighting campaign with plataforming elements, mixing all these series in some great way.

Smash Tour is a multiplayer experience, that when you start to play with your friends, most of them will just be confused about the super polluted interface with many aleatory things happening at the same time. Also, at least for me, I tryed to play this game with my friends 3 times, and all the times after some time, some of them just starts asking why they are not playing regular battles and having fun instead of a random boring boardgame with these crazy rules that they dont care. This alone shows this mode totally failed in being something captivating.

SE and ST are not perfect, but SE is still good for a singleplayer mode, and ST is terrible for a multiplayer mode. Only one of them is at least partially successful in my opinion.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Your first post is just full of....bad but anyway:

Most people love SSE for the cutscenes, getting to see the characters interact and team up was great, the gameplay, sure it was a bit stale after awhile, but it's a fighting game story mode, for what it was i think it was great.

That's not to say anything bad about Smash Tour, which I personally loved. Playing it with friends was great.

I liked both, but SSE more because it had more depth than Smash Tour.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
SSE was a beautiful attempt at a story mode that simply didn't end up the way it was supposed to be. But it was a ton of fun playing through. ST was a poor attempt at making a board game style mode that broke all of the rules of a party game.

Top Bottom