• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people like paying for online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
All Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are doing is locking you out of content they don't own themselves unless you pay extra. Next thing you know they will start locking characters behind online play to make even more people sign up. The fact that Super Mario Party has such barebones online pretty much says that the online won't change and would've been the same if it was free.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
You already have four threads dedicated solely towards this topic.

- Why are people so into paying for online?
- Why do people want to pay for online?
- Why are people interested in paying for online?
- Why are people so against saying no to paid online?

This question you keep spamming has been asked and answered already in two out of four of those threads you made. The other two were locked immediately because you just didn't want to accept the answer. Just because you reject the answer doesn't mean it wasn't given to you. We don't need another thread. This will go nowhere just like the others, and just because you reword the title slightly doesn't mean it isn't the same topic.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Why do people want to pay for online? BECAUSE THEY WANT TO PLAY ONLINE GAMES DAMMIT!!! I'm out. Bye!

(Also FOUR threads on this topic? Sounds like Princess Rescuer, only stupider considering I just viewed your other threads and you are acting completely ignorant towards what others have to say about it.)

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I completely agree. Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 if you're gonna constantly make pointless threads just to cry about Nintendo online, you should just leave Smashboards as a whole. And stop trying to make more after this one gets closed by a moderator.
I don't know why he hasn't been perma-banned yet.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Do you think online will truly improve since it's now paid?

It sounds more like on disc dlc to me.
Ummm hello? Switch uses cartridges. Also sakurai has shown all the improvements to Smash's online system. One game doesn't define all of Nintendo Online. Stop being ignorant, because I'm gonna grab a moderator to close the thread. Don't make another one. BKupa666 BKupa666 you mind closing this thread?

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
The OP of the three threads essentially about the same topic clearly is not interested in conversation. It is obvious because he is actively ignoring rebuttals. Sure, he has a few arguments up his sleeve, but as soon as anyone makes a counter argument to something he said, he doesn't even acknowledge it.

Exhibit A - This comment, the first rebuttal since the thread was necroed, has yet to receive a reply from the OP.
Exhibit B - The content that was in this comment when I originally posted it ten hours ago has yet to be acknowledged either.
Exhibit C - The OP has created three threads essentially on the same topic to dodge strong counter arguments.

He clearly isn't ghosting the thread as he took the time to make the exact same argument about something Nate VO said. All he is doing is proceeding to utilize the same few arguments over and over again which have been disproved each time. To a certain extend, it feels like he is copying and pasting one of his previous comments and slightly tweaking it to make it look new. I think we all should stop trying to talk to a brick wall. I know I'm done.
Okay, I've had enough of this nonsense. The whole thing has clearly devolved into argumentum ad nauseam. To elaborate, Crazy Hand 2001 has run out of ways to support his viewpoints, so he is resorting to just repeating his opinion over and over again in the hopes of driving away everyone who disagrees with him. He is not interested in a proper debate; he is trying to create an echo chamber where he is the undisputed king, because he cannot face the truth. The truth is that he is a stubborn idiot whose fragile, tiny mind is unwilling or unable to comprehend that his own opinion is not all-important and that other people have the right to disagree with him. This makes his opinion less than worthless. Move along, nothing more to see here.
Guys.... you guys gotta stop replying to this thread. Nothing is being accomplished, and at this point, nothing really matters.

At this point I just want to end this thread and I will seek a mod if this keeps going because at this point this is just wasting server storage.
Guys stop feeding the troll. This person is obviously trying to stir flame. Close the thread.
RealPokeFan11 RealPokeFan11
I know it’s been stated several times but not one time was it said in this thread. Please stop feeding the troll. He’s not interested in any real conversation. The two threads he made which weren’t immediately locked make that abundantly clear.

Last edited:

Lucariannah

Smash Rookie
The more money an online game costs the less children, hackers, and rule breakers in general because those types of people typically know what they do is against the rules and that they will more than likely be banned, and the more money it costs, the less that they want to waste for each new game copy they buy. That's the answer to why people like to pay for online in most games.

However with Nintendo games this really isn't the case. There's no chat for abuse to occur, no hackers, and everyone online in smash 4 is usually good reguardless of their age, but this game is an exception to the others I've played online in these reguards. In this case the paid online is just a scam, if Nintendo uses the excuse that other games do this as well then that doesn't matter because there's no benifit for paid online for Nintendo games, at least not smash games anyways.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If I'm correct, you have an alt, Princess Rescuer Princess Rescuer . I'm getting suspicious but I'm going to let someone else do the honors of reporting you since I don't feel like taking the risk (also I don't know which mod to report to).

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If I'm correct, you have an alt, Princess Rescuer Princess Rescuer . I'm getting suspicious but I'm going to let someone else do the honors of reporting you since I don't feel like taking the risk (also I don't know which mod to report to).
Wait, you're saying Crazy Hand 2001 and Princess Rescuer are the same user? I'm not quite sure, as they seem to be set off by different subjects (CH2001's wonk is unambiguously Nintendo Switch Online's price and quality, while PR is more peeved about Smash speculation); if they were the same guy, they'd be falling over themselves to support each other's "arguments", but from what I’ve seen, they have separate interests.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Wait, you're saying Crazy Hand 2001 and Princess Rescuer are the same user? I'm not quite sure, as they seem to be set off by different subjects (CH2001's wonk is unambiguously Nintendo Switch Online's price and quality, while PR is more peeved about Smash speculation); if they were the same guy, they'd be falling over themselves to support each other's "arguments", but from what I’ve seen, they have separate interests.
In any case, who should I report Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 for spam?

D

Deleted member

Yea, I had a suspicion that they where the same user. But anyways im going to stay quite about this, ive already said what I have to say. Honestly guys, just treat this like a salty FG player, leave and stop replying.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Um...its it just me, or has this thread been completely removed from the general discussion? Can't see it anywhere.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Um...its it just me, or has this thread been completely removed from the general discussion? Can't see it anywhere.
It’s actaully in Smasher’s Hangout, specifically Light House. He posted it here hoping people like you, me, ^sudoZELDA^, Luigifan18, and various others who were against his viewpoints wouldn’t see it or bother to respond.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Since I'm me, I can confirm that I'm not him. He is a much more formative user and I only joined this month after the Final Direct revealed some things that disappointed me (about a game I was looking forward to) and maybe should have been revealed earlier so it doesn't raise suspicions of trying to hide things the audience won't like.

There is very little dissent and disagreement prior to games coming out. Much like Brawl. After that game came out, Smashboards was filled with huge and pretty even-handed team battles about which one was better. Tempering expectations will prevent widespread disappointment and won't make you wonder why you aren't enjoying yourself as much as you think you should be.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Personally, I don't care to pay for internet service but the price point is low enough I'll do it. Not only do I have to already pay for access through a provider, then buy the system, then the game, but then on top of all that I have to pay for game-Internet.

I do however expect the lag issues to be better since I'll be paying real money for the service. They're taking a measured risk with this choice, but to be fair, other game systems have been charging for their online for years so it's probably about time.

By the way, I understand the OP spammed his thread previously, but it's been addressed by staff. This discussion is put here because this is literally the best place for it. There is no need to mini-mod on gang up on the user. If he has any future violations of board etiquette it will be dealt with appropriately by staff.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
If the matchmaking infrastructure is bad, it won't matter if the lag was fixed. If finding matches against appropriate opponents was difficult, it's always going to be irritating and difficult. It'll just be difficult without a hitch.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Supposedly (and don't quote me on this) that's one of the things they've improved in revamping the online experience which lead to the removal of for glory. Basically your global smash power which is function of wins losses etc will match you with players that are equal or slightly better or slightly worse.

Speaking of lag GOD tonight is horrible. I usually get lag free matches or at least tolerable hut it's like almost a whole second worth delay in input lag right now.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Speaking of lag GOD tonight is horrible. I usually get lag free matches or at least tolerable hut it's like almost a whole second worth delay in input lag right now.
That tends to happen when online is free. I had a bad experience with Smash 4 because of someone's toaster wifi.

The game would freeze for five seconds, progress between 0.1-0.5 seconds, and repeat. It got so bad that I actually couldn't even leave the game. Pausing was literally impossible in this laggy server. I didn't want to reboot the WiiU figuring the 10 minute penalty for leaving would last longer than this game. It was 2v2 for glory after all. I thought how bad can a match with a 2:00 timer be? I was wrong to think that. I put the game pad down and decided to come to SmashBoards. I was checking on the GamePad every 30 seconds while listening to the audio to see if the fighting pace suddenly picks up. I spent twenty minutes making posts before finally hearing the announcer say "5". I picked up the GamePad excited to finally go back to playing the game. Ten seconds later, I heard "4". Fifteen seconds later, I heard "3". That's when the game disconnected me all of a sudden. It claimed the reason was "abstaining", but I was moving around and even throwing out moves every now and then. Not only did I wait 20 minutes for that abomination to almost be at its end, I had to wait an extra 10 minutes before I could go back to fighting online as a penalty for getting forcibly kicked just before the game's end. That's 30 minutes total.

Games like these are the types of games I loathed. Ones that made me wish the WiiU had a paid service. It's the main reason reason I am excited for online that is not free. It not only flushes out most of the kids with toaster wifi since a lot of them would be reliant on their parent's debit card, but it also allows us as consumers to demand that Nintendo uses our money to improve their service and reduce those types of experiences. Nintendo could have not given us the ability to play retro games, use an online app, or save our save data to the cloud, and I would have still happily bought the service. I like paid online for that reason and that reason alone, and everything else that comes with it is just extra benefits to me.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Why would you think Nintendo is going to improve the online, especially if Super Mario Party has **** online?
It's only logical to assume that by paying for the service, it would get better than what has historically been a difficult medium. Nintendo tried their hardest to please everyone, but between lag issues, spammy players, etc, it just ended up alienating a large portion of the smash community.

For Glory was probably the best option they could have come up with when they devised online for WiiU/3DS. While still free, it at least made it so more serious players could enjoy a version of play that was intended to connect like minded players from various regions without the use of matchmaking websites, etc. It was definitely an improvement over Brawl's online experience, and it didn't cost anything extra!

That said, there was obviously room for improvement. Enter Ultimate: here we have gone a step further. Instead of "For Glory" which was a static match type, you can now enjoy endless combinations of rulesets. I anticipate once the BR is able to issue a statement on ruleset, that many players will opt to try online since you'll be able to specify stocks, stages, etc.

That's already an improvement, technically.

So really, your question focuses on the elephant in the room. LAAAAG.

I hate to say it, Lag issues will probably always exist. It's the nature of the internet. No matter how much you spend, and no matter the setup you may have, the service you may purchase, factors beyond consumer control do and will play a role in whether or not your connection and experience are "just as good as offline." Even as I'm typing this, due to the ice storms in our region, there is a bit of lag lol. We pay a good deal of money each month for our internet service. But it's par for the course. We don't expect it to be "better" just cause we're paying money. What we DO expect, is for the service to use our monthly payments towards research and development in finding better ways to provide service, which we then will benefit from once they're implemented.

Seeing as how Nintendo has never really charged for their online portions of games aside from paid DLC, I believe that a subscription service would play out in much the same way. It's not all profit in other words. This money will most definitely go towards maximizing the online experience beyond what Sakurai has already done in terms of revamping the mode on the software side.

Hope that answers your question!

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
I have pre-downloaded SSBU onto my Switch. And I took your advice and didn't buy the DLC (I can't. The game is so massive that it eats up nearly all the space on my Switch and I'll need an SD to get anything else). I'm looking forward to enjoying it!

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Why would you think Nintendo is going to improve the online
Objection, asked and answered multiple times. I guess I'll go over it once more.

As consumers, we can expect Nintendo to use our money for improving their service. Not servers, the service since you apparently seem to think dedicated servers don't exist. An example of this would be prioritizing local connection over matchmaking so someone from England never has to fight someone from Japan against their will. Alternatively, they can set up servers dedicated to extremely popular games once they get enough revenue from this service. If they do nothing and the service is as laggy as the Wii U version, we would have the right to complain, but it hasn't even been a year.

In the mean time, this is a business decision that has been in effect for two months, and I highly doubt they have plans to turn their back on it any time soon especially since a lot of the people who paid the $20 would only get about $3 worth of what they paid should they make it free right now.

Complaining will do nothing. Trying to argue will do nothing. This topic is no different than requests for Waluigi as a newcomer at this point.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People don't like paying for online, but when their favourite company starts charging them for it, they will do mental gymnastics to make it sound like a good thing that's worth paying for. :V

That being said, it can be mitigated if the company provides actual other services to justify the price. PS Plus is a fine service. I pay for it just for the free games honestly, I actually don't need to play online that much.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
I’m fine with paying for the base game (I’ve done that already in fact). It’s just paying for other things that were never an issue before.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
It’s just paying for other things that were never an issue before.
Ever heard of DLC (downloadable content)? Nintendo was already doing this, and it often times required a payment.

Remember Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta?

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
This guy has made multiple threads on the same topic?

Wait, then why is this not locked? Isn't that, like, spam or whatever? :V

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This guy has made multiple threads on the same topic?

Wait, then why is this not locked? Isn't that, like, spam or whatever? :V
Staff discussed it and we decided this was where it should have been all along and that the topic itself was worth leaving open.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 I agree! Don’t get mad at me fellow Smashboards users, I just totally disagree with paying for online gameplay, on a console that you pay for. I already have internet, so why should I have to pay to use it? I love Nintendo’s consoles because they don’t do what Sony And Microsoft do, and that is hide content through a paywall. To bad that isn’t true anymore.

But I think we can all agree, that you don’t need to spam the threads. Thanks for hearing me out!

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Why do you think the online will improve? Super Mario Party's online is ****
You literally asked the exact same question 12 comments ago and it was answered by at least three people. You even mentioned Super Mario Party’s online in that other comment too. This questioned was asked and answered. I’m not repeating myself.

I'm making edits to this comment because I don't feel like bumping the thread, but I feel the statement to be necessary. Look two comments down from this one. That is the literal definition of irony right there.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
No one likes paying for online. But I understand that money is what has to keep some of these services going since there's a lot behind it I'm sure. I do think that companies need to improve a lot of aspects to online services though. At the moment a lot of it is is just a subscription model to access online with maybe free games as part of the model. The amount of unscheduled maintenances, security problems, among other things I'd like to see get resolved better.
For lag/input delay, I'm not sure how much of it is on the service side of things. I'd put more of it on the netcode, people still not using ethernet, and the unfortunate infrastructure of the internet for a lot of countries. And with the Switch not coming with an ethernet port out of the box, it's going to make things just really rough.

And yeah, we'll just keep everything about the topic here in LH. It's ok if you're not sure where to put a thread, but refrain from creating the same one in multiple places on Smashboards if possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom