• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people hate transformation Final Smashes?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
In so many new character threads, when Final Smash ideas are being tossed around, we almost always get the suggestion of some sort of transformation Final Smash. And it is always followed up with "ugh, not another one" in subsequent posts.

Why?

I mean, there are just as many "single powerful hit" Final Smashes, if not more. Light Arrows, Triforce slash, Great Aether, New House, Blue Falcon, Critical Hit, Megaman Team, Chrom Pair Up, Greninja's...

So it's clearly not just because the idea is over-represented. So why does it get so much hate? I tend to enjoy them. They make further call outs to the series and characters, they provide powerful new play options, and they're a lot less punishing if you miss than the single-attack Final Smashes (and more interesting than the massive AOE Final Smashes like Samus's, Mario's, and Wii Fit Trainer's).

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
They're ok imo but super powerful attacks and landing them are more interesting to me than transforming into Giga Mac and having everyone run away from you, possibly getting a few hits in or a KO. It just has a different feel, somehow.

Last edited:

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
They're ok imo but super powerful attacks and landing them are more interesting to me than transforming into Giga Mac and having everyone run away from you, possibly getting a few hits in or a KO. It just has a different feel, somehow.
This, this, this.

I lost count how many times I transformed into Warioman and suddenly everyone just starts constantly grabbing the ledge to avoid any attacks. Some are fun, while others are just impractical, and I think just about every one that isn't Land Master needs to get buffed, maybe it's just me but Giga Mac seems weaker than Little Mac in gameplay videos.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I like transformstions like samus' because it gives you a super strong attack and then you transform. I'm not a fan of wario's or mac's because, as it has already been said, everyone runs away from you and you cant get any hits in before you change back. I find giga bowser the only exception, because he takes up half the screen and can land plenty of hits in the time he has.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
People tend to run from me whenever I get the Smash ball, trying to keep me from hitting with the single attack, so I don't really see that much of a difference...

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
i think it is because you cant get hits on them it mostly does nothing expect stronger your attacks but your cant even attack them because they are running and plus you die from it if you fall of the ledge

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
i think it is because you cant get hits on them it mostly does nothing expect stronger your attacks but your cant even attack them because they are running and plus you die from it if you fall of the ledge
This.

Also, people like seeing flashy attacks more than just a transformation. Simple as that.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
All the transformations are kinda cop-outs too.

Giga Mac? Is that even canon?
Giga Bowser? All because of Melee. There are many better options.
Landmaster for 3 Star-fox characters? 1 sure. Not 3.
Wario-man? Again, there are way better choices from the Wario Land series.
Octopus? One of the worst in the game and not really the "coolest" Game and Watch character

The only one that makes sense to me is Yoshi's, but I'm sure you could come up with a more creative one.

warionumbah2

Smash Master

Octopus? One of the worst in the game and not really the "coolest" Game and Watch character

The only one that makes sense to me is Yoshi's, but I'm sure you could come up with a more creative one.
And sonic, don't forget him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think they're cool, but I want to keep them somewhat exclusive as they're the easiest final smashes to oversaturate. It's about variation on my front, and I think we have enough as is.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Giga Mac is canon. It's from Punch-Out! Wii.

Eh I don't mind transformations. It makes sense for Sonic and Yoshi.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I like them, but I can't deny that the majority of them are easier to kite and avoid than the less-fancy deathbeams other characters have.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Maybe one of the Wii U only additions will be customization of final smashes.

inb4 Fierce Deity Link & Rush Adapter Armor Megaman

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I think people mainly hate them because of Landmaster. I like them as long as the same one isn't used for multiple characters like Landmaster times 3

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I dislike threads with titles like this.

"Why do PEOPLE hate transformation final smashes?"

No, not people, SOME people hate transformation final smashes...

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator

It's made even more thinner by the number of people who legitimately care about the quality of Final Smashes. Do you want a super strong ability or not? Yes? Do you want everything to be uniform? No? Well, too bad - now you got transformations too... I'd rather everyone have a transformation than some near instant kill move that has a uniform mechanism. But as for me, I ultimately don't really care because I won't play with items for more than a few weeks.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I've never had a problem with it. But Samus to ZSS was really annoying but I liked it. It added realness but switching between movesets was really annoying to me.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

Giga Mac was a "limit break" of sorts in the 2-player mode of Punch-Out!! Wii.

Just letting you know. It is canon.

But more on topic, another reason people don't like transformation final smashes is that in 1v1, it's completely possible and common to take out more than one of an opponent's stock. Especially with Landmaster's off-the-top-of-the-screen flight.

Last edited:
A transformation Final Smash like Wario-Man or Giga Mac is hardly more useful than a hammer or starman since everyone will just flee from you until the duration is up. It's more exciting, imo, to land a single powerful blow, or to transform into something magnificent like Giga Bowser or a Landmaster.

Jigglypuff's FS is still the most creative of them all, though!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I've never had a problem with it. But Samus to ZSS was really annoying but I liked it. It added realness but switching between movesets was really annoying to me.
Honestly, I'm glad they kept them separate this time. Didn't like the idea she was too vulnerable when using either Final Smashes. It seem like it was working against her unnecessarily while most of the other cast can get off nearly scot-free with practically free damage-to-KOs.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

If I ever saw anyone on this forum defending them, I wouldn't have worded it that way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys them, but I can't recall ever seeing them mentioned positively in any other thread.

Last edited:

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
If I ever saw anyone on this forum defending them, I wouldn't have worded it that way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys them, but I can't recall ever seeing them mentioned positively in any other thread.
I enjoy them as well, however, I do dislike the choice of Giga Bowser for Bowser (why not have him transform into Dry Bowser instead?)

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
To me, it depends on how well executed the Final Smash is and how powerful it is.

Not only that, but it has to make sense for the character. For instance, anything other then Super Sonic as a Final Smash for Sonic would just seem..wrong.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
To me, it depends on how well executed the Final Smash is and how powerful it is.

Not only that, but it has to make sense for the character. For instance, anything other then Super Sonic as a Final Smash for Sonic would just seem..wrong.
True. But the Mega-Evolutions make sense. The (first) Landmaster made sense. Ganondorf to Ganon makes sense...

A lot of them really seem to work. Giga Bowser I agree with though (and Landmasters 2 and 3). He should get the Clown Car instead.

Rosalina should feed Luma a ton of Star Bits and have him transform into something bigger and more dangerous for her Final Smash, instead of that super star thing.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I don't like them because they're not as satisfying to use and they're not as terrifying to avoid.

I think it would be better if they changed all the transformations into a transformation that causes OHKOs. For example Bowser would transform into Gigabowser behind the stage and shoot fireballs down at the stage. Sonic would turn super saiyan and streek in random directions across the stage (similar to what one of the Pokemon does).

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
For me, it boils down to laziness.

They make SENSE (like Mega Evolutions, Giga Mac, etc) but they are just "OH HURR DURR, I'M STRONGER AND/OR BIGGER OR SOMETHING".

Everyone else gets this awesome, massive attack. But you (as a transformed character) just get powered up.

And like others said, there's no real pay off. You change, then everyone runs and you just waste time. At least most 'attack' ones are guaranteed KOs or you can save them, or they hit multiple people, etc.

But to be real, my problem with Final Smashes in general is the unbalanced 'length'. I don't like that you have, say, Mario Finale, where it just explodes this fire for 2 seconds and then you have Super Sonic that lasts for minutes. And you can just sit on a character and last long enough to hit them when they respawn.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't have anything against transformation final smashes. Didn't know til now that there were some people who feels negatively about them.

Top Bottom