• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Why do people hate the more younger Links?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
This is something that has been bothering me lately. How come some people have a problem with the kid Links compared to the adult incarnations? Ever since I'd first gotten into Zelda, I've been noticing a lot of hatred concerning Young Link from Melee (and now with HW) and the Toon Links (mainly in the Smash games). I don't know if it's just because they're both top tier or their kid appeal looks, it really doesn't make any sense to me.

I mean, I'm more of a fan of the kid Links because I've found them to be a lot more interesting than the more popular adult versions of the character. I just don't get the hatred for them.

Rick Sure

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrJigglypuff1996
I know that the hate for Toon Link is from the fact that(when it came out)a lot of people hated on the art style of Wind Waker. Even though it is my favorite, I can see where it comes from.

finalark

SNORLAX
I know that the hate for Toon Link is from the fact that(when it came out)a lot of people hated on the art style of Wind Waker. Even though it is my favorite, I can see where it comes from.
Pretty much this. Damn near everyone threw a ***** when WW's cartoony graphics were revealed waaaaaaaaay back in the early 2000s. Mostly because everyone was hoping for something closer to TP.

Ironically, WW has actually aged the best visually speaking because of its graphics.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Smash reason: Toon Link is a camp machine that is designed to avoid interacting with opponents as much as possible and make every game go to time

And the toon timeline of the Zelda series is controversial, there is that too

pokemario

Smash Cadet
NNID
pokemario24
3DS FC
3067-5423-1066
This is something that has been bothering me lately. How come some people have a problem with the kid Links compared to the adult incarnations? Ever since I'd first gotten into Zelda, I've been noticing a lot of hatred concerning Young Link from Melee (and now with HW) and the Toon Links (mainly in the Smash games). I don't know if it's just because they're both top tier or their kid appeal looks, it really doesn't make any sense to me.

I mean, I'm more of a fan of the kid Links because I've found them to be a lot more interesting than the more popular adult versions of the character. I just don't get the hatred for them.
I personally prefer Young Link over his adult counterpart.

I don't really know why, maybe it's because Majora's Mask is my favorite game ever.

:younglinkmelee:>:linkmelee:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Ironically, WW has actually aged the best visually speaking because of its graphics.
TP really didn't age all that well graphics-wise. I don't know if this is just another sign that people hate WW because of how better it aged or what. The game shouldn't get as much hatred as it did back then.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I do remember reading about how people are more disappointed that Young Link was chosen as one of the reps for the MM-themed DLC for HW and that the 'slot' could have went to someone else like Skull Kid or the Happy Mask Salesman. That and the fact that there's already a lot of stuff for Link already (which makes sense considering he is the protag after all)

finalark

SNORLAX
TP really didn't age all that well graphics-wise. I don't know if this is just another sign that people hate WW because of how better it aged or what. The game shouldn't get as much hatred as it did back then.
I really don't know anybody who actively hates WW these days. Actually, most people I know consider it one of the better games in the series. Most of the people who were butthurt when WW came out are either too old to care now or got their fix with TP.

Or they just continue to find something to complain about in every new LoZ game that comes out.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I know that the reason lately is that people are salty that Majora's Mask Link was chosen as one of the new DLC characters for Hyrule Warriors. In the past though, I'd say it has to do with Wind Waker. I remember back when WW was revealed, it got a lot of negative flack for its graphics.

That being said, I disagree with these people on both of the above accounts. Although I would have liked a playable Skull Kid in HW, I feel that they've done a good job with Majora Link (although I have a lot of bias, as I am a rare person whose favourite Zelda is Majora's Mask and often get flamed for saying so). Adding Fierce Deity is just icing on the cake, and brings chills down the spines of MM fans all over. As for the Wind Waker hate, I don't really understand that either, as I believe that Wind Waker has aged very well after all these years, as opposed to Twilight Princess which I feel looks dated today.

Of course, everyone has their own opinion, but I agree that the Young Links receive a lot more flack than they should.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
(although I have a lot of bias, as I am a rare person whose favourite Zelda is Majora's Mask and often get flamed for saying so).
Welcome to 2015, time traveler. I see you have come to us from ten years ago. I'll be glad to inform you that these days Majora's Mask is one of the most universally well-liked and respected games in the series. I'll also be glad to tell you that Wind Waker is also now well-liked and is actually praised for many of its innovations and visuals! The future is wonderful!

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Welcome to 2015, time traveler. I see you have come to us from ten years ago. I'll be glad to inform you that these days Majora's Mask is one of the most universally well-liked and respected games in the series. I'll also be glad to tell you that Wind Waker is also now well-liked and is actually praised for many of its innovations and visuals! The future is wonderful!
Oh? I'll have to play the Song of Double Time and have a look at things; the future sounds intriguing.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Of course, everyone has their own opinion, but I agree that the Young Links receive a lot more flack than they should.
If you take into account, there's been a lot more games with a young Link in it than they are with an adult Link (there's only 4 right now with Zelda U coming up as the fifth). Even the first game had you playing as a younger Link before he aged up in AoL. Honestly, I see Young Link's inclusion in HW as a good thing because it's about the closest we can get to having a young Link from the 2D games and Toon Link (due to his design).

This is also how I feel with Toon Link's inclusion in Brawl & Smash 4.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Let's not generalize! I prefer Young Link, personally. It makes the world feel more... intimidating. And he's cuter.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
While I prefer Adult Link over Young/Toon Link in Smash, I like seeing Link as a child in the mainline Legend of Zelda games. I think it makes Link look more badass when he's out there fighting the forces of darkness when he's a kid, showing people that age doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
While I prefer Adult Link over Young/Toon Link in Smash, I like seeing Link as a child in the mainline Legend of Zelda games. I think it makes Link look more badass when he's out there fighting the forces of darkness when he's a kid, showing people that age doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Same here. It's actually one of the reasons why I gotten into Zelda in the first place. The fact that you have a little kid fighting off tons of monsters just makes games like MM all the more interesting to me. I don't get that same reaction with the adult Link ones. I just get a completely different game.

I don't hate all of the adult incarnations, by the way. I just like the younger incarnations more because they're more interesting and it just makes the games they appear in feel more charming and unique.

Top Bottom