• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people hate clones?

Your opinion on clone characters?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaminguy010

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gaminguy010
I don't understand why people get so upset over clones. In my personal opinion, they add to the roster while not taking up much development time since a clone character uses another character as a base. Example: Lucina is near identical to Marth, but damage distribution is throughout her sword as opposed to Marth's which is most powerful at the tip of his sword. So slight moveset change, model & alternate costumes, voice and sounds equals new character in a fraction of the time it takes to make a whole new character from scratch. lazily

Last edited:

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
because dr mario got in over mewtwo, lucina got in over k. rool and dark pit got in over ridley

But no seriously, I like clones. They help beef up the roster without taking too much development and offer different ways to play familiar characters.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
We know that from Melee apparently there was either time for one unique newcomer or six clones, so it's not like removing the clones from here means we would get Mewtwo or something instead, it just means we'd have three less characters.

Khao

Smash Lord
There's good clones and bad clones in my opinion.

Dr. Mario is someone I see as a bad clone. Why? It's just not adding any new character into the game, that's still Mario, moveset differences or not.

Dark Pit is kinda sorta okay? He's a different entity than Pit at the very least, but considering they're canonically nearly literal clones of eachother, I don't think there's much reason to add him in. His existence doesn't bother me, though, and I even think he would have been a great choice if it wasn't for Palutena already giving us extra Kid Icarus representation. I don't hate this guy like I do Dr. Mario, but I feel like he's completely unnecesary.

Lucina is good clone. We get a completely separate identity, and a slightly different playstyle for better variety. I doubt I'll use her too often, as I think of Marth's tip-sweetspot thingy as his most fun feature, but she's cool.

Toon Link, also a good clone. There's a lot of different incarnations of Link, and this is the best way to represent that. Just like in Zelda, you have similar gameplay and a few shared iconic weapons, but there's a general feel on each game that gets translated pretty well in here. If we had three Links, or an extra alternate version of a character (like a Toon Ganondorf/Zelda) that'd be another story.

Ganondorf? Worst clone in the history of crossovers, for real. At this point, he has very different style to Falcon, but the fact that he's similar at all makes absolutely no sense because of who he is as a character. It was fine back in Melee, as that was the only way we would have gotten him, but now it's just weird. At this point, it would have been better for him to just sit out of Melee and join in as a unique fighter in Brawl. No Ganon once is better than clone Ganon forever.

So yah, that's my take on things.

Last edited:

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I like clones as long as there aren't too many. Honestly in melee, the clones are all easily distinguished from one another. The only one who it takes experience to notice the differences is Doctor Mario.

I would have loved for a Peach clone (Daisy) and DK clone (Funky Kong) to join the cast.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
It's because people are misinformed. Clones aren't terribly exciting, so they want to point their fingers at something to "blame" for what the game lacks, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom