• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people after a shine, grab. After shining the opponent (not shielding)

Chello

Smash Rookie
I get that shield grab is pretty optimal against a lot of characters that are shielding or have limited oos options. But I see a lot of high level falco's shine and instead of hoping and following up with a dair or something; they just stand in place and grab instead while the character is flying in the air. Can anyone please explain this to me and the benefits of doing this type of thing? Cause I can't figure it out at all. Thanks!

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
Hey friend. Shine to grab is a shield-pressure mixup. If the shine does not connect, Falco immediately grabs the opponent out of their shield for a throw follow up. The problem is that the input is so fast that Falco can't do it on reaction; you have to JC grab immediately after the shine whether the shine connects or not. So if Falco actually does get the shine off, he's left grabbing in place as the opponent flies up. It's not all bad though, as shine still gives the bird positional advantage under his opponent.

Chello

Smash Rookie
Hey friend. Shine to grab is a shield-pressure mixup. If the shine does not connect, Falco immediately grabs the opponent out of their shield for a throw follow up. The problem is that the input is so fast that Falco can't do it on reaction; you have to JC grab immediately after the shine whether the shine connects or not. So if Falco actually does get the shine off, he's left grabbing in place as the opponent flies up. It's not all bad though, as shine still gives the bird positional advantage under his opponent.
Ohhh okay so it’s basically just like a backup tool in case the initial shine misses. I get it now. Thanks a ton man!

Top Bottom