• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do I suck at this game.

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 189823

I am excellent at the N64 version. But at Melee and this, I'm just around average. Could it be because of inexperience? I still have trouble with the Wiimote, even though I purposely use it to try to get used to it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Step 1 to getting better:

Use the Gamecube controller. Sakurai even designed the game around it, so use it goddamnit.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
It just takes practice, everyone has to start somewhere. I highly recommend switching to a Gamecube or Classic controller though, I find it to be a lot more convenient as opposed to the Wii-mote alone. Also be sure to jump into discussion in your main character's section, you may be able to learn something new. You can also try signing up for the mentoring program, or simply try getting practice with friends or other people on Wifi through the smashboards arena. Even if it is on Wifi, it can still be good practice as opposed to fighting CPU's.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
It just takes practice, becoming good doesn't come over night, you have to work at it. There's a bunch of character boards to get good with certain characters, there's a stage discussion to talk about stages, you have all you need to get better. Just have to try your best and learn, and when you do, you'll get better. Trust me, I know this. ;)

Also, as Gatlin said, you should try to verse people on Wi-Fi if you have no good players near where you live. It helps to know how a human would react to what attack you use, it also helps you think "How would I think him/her...".

D

Deleted member 189823

I think practice is doing me fine. Much more while using the GC controller. I just had an online match recently and went pretty great. 8)

Thank you for the advice so far, guys. I'll be gathering more people to play against, if anyone's up.

Life

Smash Hero
For the record, just finding Smashboards automatically makes you better than ~90% of all people who play Smash.

It's just the other 10% are the ones that come here, and they're TONS better than the 90.001%.

IGN just did that FFA video and the Pit didn't even know how to fastfall. <.<

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
For the record, just finding Smashboards automatically makes you better than ~90% of all people who play Smash.

It's just the other 10% are the ones that come here, and they're TONS better than the 90.001%.

IGN just did that FFA video and the Pit didn't even know how to fastfall. <.<
Please don't EVER talk about that video outside of the thread. I wanted to cut myself the whole time, they were terrible.

Life

Smash Hero
Please don't EVER talk about that video outside of the thread. I wanted to cut myself the whole time, they were terrible.
Thank you for agreeing with me. Someone seriously needs to get those players reading up on this site (heck, even the Dojo AT list from the lead-up to Brawl's release would help so, so much). And I'll eat my hat (not really) if those players have ever been on Smashboards for more than a few seconds.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Just think more about what actions you take and plan more. Asking for more advice from pros wouldnt be a bad thing either. Also this IGN video sounds horrid.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Could all of the IGN-video discussion please stay in that thread please? :) Don't want the topic of this thread to become too derailed and such.

@below: :rolleyes: lol

D

Deleted member 189823

I heard you can't pull combos in Brawl, or at least not as often.

Is it true? Why?

@Kitteh: I use my favorites. I'm pretty decent with Yoshi, Bowser, R.O.B, Link, Ness/Lucas and the black guy. I know Kirby is easy to use, considering I've been using him in my beginner days in 64, but then turned to Link, Yoshi and Ness. I'm not that bad. =P

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Combos are near impossible in brawl because you can just cancel your hitstun with an airdodge or attack. Youcan just dodge attacks or attack your opponent right back and prevent combos, where you couldn't do this cancel in 64 or Melee.

Sephy95

Smash Lord

Is it true? Why?

@Kitteh: I use my favorites. I'm pretty decent with Yoshi, Bowser, R.O.B, Link, Ness/Lucas and the black guy. I know Kirby is easy to use, considering I've been using him in my beginner days in 64, but then turned to Link, Yoshi and Ness. I'm not that bad. =P
Black guy?
:gw:

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990

Is it true? Why?

Black guy?
:gw:
I just choked from laughing at this.

Brawl is a tad different from the other two mainly because of it's physics. They don't allow for many actual "combos". IMO, Brawl is more of a tech-chasing, aerial spacing type of forte. More or less revolving success around reading your opponent, but not so much as spacing. Excluding the (not to start a flame war, but..) silly tilt-locks, chain grabs and wall locks. I'd take Gatlin's advice if you truly want to start to be better at Melee/Brawl.

Also, I know how you feel. That demotivational point. I'm hitting it too after Dr. Peepee showed me some stuff. You just gotta find a drive for the game.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
My formula for getting better at brawl.

Step One: GC controller ( You have that, I hear)
Step Two: Pick a character on the boards (start with one) and study him/her/it hard
Step Three: Wifi. Join a bunch of wifi ladders. They help since you can even challenge really good people at the top too. Don't worry about your Win/lose record, so long as you're getting experience out of it.
Step Four: Tournies. Tournies in real life is as good as getting experience gets. Then you can find people nearby you can play with and you no longer need the ladder as much.

Step Five: You can initiate this one anywhere between steps two and four: Watch videos. Advanced technique videos, tournament match videos, combo videos (character specific) and try to gather some nice techiniques from them.

Final Step
Record videos, and get them critiqued by anyone you know is highly skilled. The harsher the criticism, the better. You need to be doing this anywhere between steps 3 and 5. (For best results, use a match you lost in)

After that, it'll be a piece of cake, but this is just my recipe. There's countless different ways to make the same spicy curry, just different spices used. :ness:

OmegaZeroX

Smash Cadet
I'd say switching around the game schematics would be already a proving challenge...I used to play Melee really well, but when I switched to Brawl I felt kinda ******** playing. I can only think of the fact that Melee plays faster than Brawl. Not to mention the gravity is very different in all three games (as far as I know.) So just get some time to get used to the games mechanix. Oh and switch to GC Controller.

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
Combos exist in brawl you are just limited to very short or impossible combos to pull off. Look up isai in ssb melee and youll see the difference in combo abilities. Im sure this topic can be answered easily but it's just practice and extensive knowledge.

Experience helps a lot as well since if youve been playing since 64 like me vs someone new and just getting brawl. Experience means you have a better understanding of the game than others.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Also, remember that each Smash Bros. game play completely differently due to game physics. Smash 64... well, you said you were great at that, so I won't say anything (not to mention I never play it myself, so I wouldn't be able to offer anything on that subject). Melee is more fast-paced, combo oriented, and requires the knowledge of wavedashing to get good at it, which takes time and practice to master. Brawl is more centered around punishing and predicting. While the former two also has that prediction-based play, Brawl takes that element and pretty much centralizes it, especially with a smaller hit-stun window, you have to predict what your opponent will do after you hit them and try to punish their responses.

With that said, everything else I can say has already been said; just practice. You can also go on Youtube and look at various combo videos for guidelines as well, though don't overly rely on them as "that is how a character should be played", since some combo vids tend to go for flashy out-of-the-way kills that are fun to watch (at least in the case of Brawl, anyway).

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
use gamecube controller, practice with random level 3 cpus, try creating your own combos and techs, after you get better at the game try fighting level 6 and 7, and when you reach the level 9 cpus and defeat them try playing with some one skilled.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer

Is it true? Why?

A combo is a series of hits that are avoidable once the first one connects, or all hit while the character is still in a stunned state (that latter definition accounts for DI).

When a character is hit, they go in to a "hitstun" state where they cannot move briefly. Each Smash game has reduced the duration of hitstun; Smash 64 had TONS of it. When you got hit, you couldn't move for a little while. Thus, combos like this are possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwrk7wDeXi0
During all of these clips, the other character is in a hitstun state and unable to make any button inputs that will change his fate. These are combos.

Melee has less hitstun than Smash 64, but still quite a lot, but it implemented a directional influence (DI) system so that the player could influence where they were going somewhat while being combo'd.

Brawl reduced hitstun so much that, well, when you hit the opponent in to the air, they'll be out of hitstun before you can hit them again. However, hits like that still give you a positional advantage and can let you follow up in guessing games to create strings.

D

Deleted member 189823

Thanks alot, guys. I really don't suck at Brawl now. Though, Meleee....AH, don't mind that.

Anyway, I still have some improvements to go through. I want to improve my SSBB Yoshi. It's kinda hard to combo with him when he's such a floaty character.

EDIT: The little icons stating who are your mains are cute. Wish I could Yoshi/Bowser there in Brawl, though. ):

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
Thanks alot, guys. I really don't suck at Brawl now. Though, Meleee....AH, don't mind that.

Anyway, I still have some improvements to go through. I want to improve my SSBB Yoshi. It's kinda hard to combo with him when he's such a floaty character.

EDIT: The little icons stating who are your mains are cute. Wish I could Yoshi/Bowser there in Brawl, though. ):
I wouldn't really worry about comboing people in Brawl. IMO, there's less focus on quickly racking up damage with combos and more about gaining and controlling momentum throughout a match. I'd focus on spacing and punishing rather than combos, and because Yoshi has some powerful aerials and Egg Throw shenanigans you can set up some pretty annoying stuff.

Of course, you can just ignore me. This stuff worked for me, but it may not be the best for you :p

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
the game i suck most is ssb64 it a good game dont get me wrong but i get **** ween i comes master hand am gonna hack that so bad i suck so bad ssb64

D

Deleted member 189823

You need help? Well... start out how I started. Go on SSE mode, complete it on Easy mode, unlock all their characters, start training, yadda yadda yadda.
I wasn't that bad even in my Brawl beginner days. Even back then, I played SSE on Intense mode. But thanks, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom