• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do I lose?

ADHD

Smash Hero
I realize that to some people I'm still on top, but I've sunk from completely monopolizing my region and regionals to consistently below 3rd.

I've been an insomniac starting this year which contributes greatly because I can't seem to get enough sleep for tournaments, but I know that this is only part of the reason. I can somewhat overcome a slower reaction time, but there's gotta be more to it.

Player-1

Smash Legend
You haven't changed much in your playstyle for the past year, it's pretty much been the same and people have learned your playstyle and evolved their own, but you haven't continued the cycle of the metagame and haven't adapted your playstyle to their adapted ones. A big part of it are the MKs, MKs don't do that stupid **** where they use 4 of their jumps to dair and then use their 5th one for a nado anymore because I'm having the same problem as far as MK goes.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
You haven't changed much in your playstyle for the past year, it's pretty much been the same and people have learned your playstyle and evolved their own, but you haven't continued the cycle of the metagame and haven't adapted your playstyle to their adapted ones.
Ding .

Tons of top players go through it.
You're an amazing player ADHD, I'm pretty sure you will fix it.

Vega4

Smash Ace
I remembered watchin' vids of ADHD vs players like Ally (a recent match in Frigate comes to my mind) or Razer, and he normally was winning and having all under control, but..... then ADHD normally lost a stock (a <100% stock) because he took to much risk trying to kill them the coolest way possible...

I like a lot that cool way that you play, but that style also make you take a lot of risk, and recently other players are punishing you a lot for that.

I would say that you need to play more safe, thats it...

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You give up way to easily. You need to also use more wave bounced peanut cancels since that technique can mean the difference between landing and getting juggled You should also approach less and bait more (especially in the MK match up).

DFEAR

Smash Hero
baiting does work, but eventually your baits will look fake. will the same fish fall for such fake bait? does a bigger fish find that bait more appealing? probably not. just capitalize nothing else.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
baiting does work, but eventually your baits will look fake. will the same fish fall for such fake bait? does a bigger fish find that bait more appealing? probably not. just capitalize nothing else.
Diddy has some of the best baits in the game. Charging your popgun will force your opponent to react. You can also always mix up shooting peanuts with popgun cancels. Dribbling is also a really good bait when opponents keep catching your bananas with aerials (this will happen a lot if you autopilot) and is a great mix up in general.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Forcing=/= baiting for one, you said dribbling to stop people from getting bananas but that's just preventing. I guess from your definition of baiting you bait your opponent to spawn every time you kill them

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Forcing=/= baiting for one, you said dribbling to stop people from getting bananas but that's just preventing. I guess from your definition of baiting you bait your opponent to spawn every time you kill them
Your opponent does an aerial expecting a glide toss but you dribbled and now they get punished for their landing lag. If that isn't baiting then I don't know what is

DFEAR

Smash Hero
you can enforce anything with the correct spacing between you, your opponent and the distance established on you and your opponent on a certain part of a stage aka near the ledge/center/air w.e. its situational in a sense, but happens very often. it works. its how you play brawl.

baiting is the weakest form of conditioning. you are looking for something that has no guarantee of happening because you did not enforce any true reaction or proaction from the opponent.

ill use your previous statement as a form of rebuttal.

Charging your popgun will force your opponent to react.
yes. in the sense that he is reacting VISUALLY to it. its the opponents choice whether or not he should actually do something about it. baiting in this case is not applicable as he is FORCED to react to this option.

You can also always mix up shooting peanuts with popgun cancels.
exactly right. mixup. not bait. only way you can bait, is if you took a GUESS whether or not the opponent will decide to take the RISK and punish you for either option at any given moment. completely random imo. a way you can FORCE a punish is if you initially peanut in the beginning and CONDITION him into thinking that your peanut shooting is a habit and or pattern, thus is when you react to an upcomin punish of the opponent to a "popgun cancel". there's your ONE free punish. next one must be earned mentally.

Dribbling is also a really good bait when opponents keep catching your bananas with aerials (this will happen a lot if you autopilot) and is a great mix up in general.
dribbling...a bait? i had to lolwut to this. sorry bro.

jebus keep doin work tho dawg. i believe in you ;). just learn correct terminology and top level mentality is all
ill show u some vids of seibrik n me and show you some real "baiting".

oh and
forced = conditioned
bait = weakly forced
--------
bait = weakly conditioned

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
There is no actual definition of what a bait really is so I guess we should just both agree to disagree.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Because the word isnt meant for competitive gaming...? It's the same meaning for fishing as competetive gaming

Tesh

Smash Hero
This is the dumbest thing you guys could possibly be arguing about. But what can you expect from a bunch of damn dirty apes.

T-block

B2B TST
A bait is an attempt to make the opponent to respond to an action other than your true action, usually with the intent of punishing said response with this true action.

Forcing your opponent into an action is different. That implies that you limit your opponent's options to such an extent that they must perform a certain action or be punished.

When you force something, your opponent has no other options. When you bait something, your opponent has options, but they acted on the wrong one.

Can we end this argument now please?

Player-1

Smash Legend
No they're the exact same thing. You bait fish to do something you want them to do and dame with brawl.

Tesh is dumb

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
ADHD just do wat boss did to win against coney in GF's just practice Tech skill with another good diddy to keep you on point and helps find stuff out(useful stuff) ask boss yourself if you have any questions.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
A bait is an attempt to make the opponent to respond to an action other than your true action, usually with the intent of punishing said response with this true action.

Forcing your opponent into an action is different. That implies that you limit your opponent's options to such an extent that they must perform a certain action or be punished.

When you force something, your opponent has no other options. When you bait something, your opponent has options, but they acted on the wrong one.

Can we end this argument now please?
you basically explained what i did in lamens terms. good shee + 3 diddy bananas.

Cut Combo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0278-9842
Fuse with another diddy >,>
Nah, but i hit that bump in the road too I think the only thing you can do is play different, new brawlers and try to evolve your play style

Than again I'm a rookie so. . .

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
i guess from your definition of baiting you bait your opponent to spawn every time you kill them
roflvhyud0z]-ohed0=-o3ijhfgyu

Also @ Wyatt, your Diddy is far below the maximum capabilities of what Diddy can do. I recall Dekar taking note of several situations where you could've executed an infinite but alas, you can't do it. Admittedly I can't do any of the Diddy infinites yet either (with marth/sheik/mk), but I'm still learning a lot about the game.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Ya the infinites are the next step in the Diddy metagame, even if you can't pull it off 0-death, or you're feeling like you're going to drop it, after just 2 iterations (fully staled naners) it's a free 30%.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yup, I get them occasionally when I play MKs and Jiggz, I didn't know the timing and other stuff you had in your thread dekar so I'm going to be keeping an eye out for those opportunities now.

Top Bottom