• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do I always get tryhards and lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfect patricia

Smash Apprentice
I can’t have fun in this game. I always get some stupid try hard who just better than me and constantly spams aerials and there is nothing I can do. I even set my rules to 4 player and I still get 1v1s just because I’m in elite smash. It’s just not fun losing over and over to some sweaty chrom player and getting salty over it

R208

Smash Cadet
You should take a step back and learn to manage your salt levels better. You'll never advance or improve if your first instinct is to make a complaint thread. As people figure out better and better setups and options for each character, your issue will only get worse.

And, if you don't want to... Well, your GSP will adjust over time. It'll eventually reach the point where you will find FFAs more easily.

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
Smash is a party game, yes. The point of Smash is to goof off. However, Smash has for all intents and purposes been hijacked by the community as one of the biggest competitive games in the FGC (Fighting Game Community). This forum board is a product of the competitive Smash scene. Coming to us to complain about people playing in the competitive format in 'Elite Smash' (the bracket where the developers thought to keep us during online play) and using the rule set that the majority of us utilize is like complaining to a Chess Grandmasters community to why they don't play Checkers and then insulting them.

Your salt levels are on you. What you perceive as the community "try harding" is actually probably average competitive players trying to get better as there is no real complaint within the community about "try harding." We practice, lab, compete, and practice even more to make those 'try hard' moments something consistent so we can do better at tournaments. If you dislike it so much, then you have four viable options that I see.

1. Join the community rather than hate on us, and get better and start winning.
2. As R208 said, wait for a bit to have your GSP (rating) to go down and rejoin the casual scene.
3. Stay local, and play with your friends only and stop playing online.
4. Stop playing in general and let the hate consume you and not affect us at all.

As for my own opinion, I'd prefer you take option 1. I love having new eyes and new people in the game who genuinely want to get better. It makes us a bigger and better thing as long as you contribute positively. However, you can't just attack a community just because you're not good at the game.

Anyways, I hope this helped. Don't let your losses affect you personally, grow and learn from them.

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
User was warned for this post; flaming
Lol at the tryhards that got triggered. Just lower you GSP, TC. the gsp thing is horrible and divides the playerbase that leaves a huge huge gap in between how smash is really supposed to be played and, 1 vs 1. Goodluck finding ffa time all items and stage hazards at 2.3 mil GSP.

D

Deleted member

I can’t have fun in this game. I always get some stupid try hard who just better than me and constantly spams aerials and there is nothing I can do. I even set my rules to 4 player and I still get 1v1s just because I’m in elite smash. It’s just not fun losing over and over to some sweaty chrom player and getting salty over it
The number one thing to remember when playing any sort of game online is this: "There is always going to be someone out there that is better than you". (Of course, also that it's just a game, too)

You have to stop and realize this. No matter how good someone is they will eventually meet their match or meet someone in an entirely different league of their own. It happens to everyone. Everybody tries hard to get good at a game, now especially if they are very passionate about said game. Everybody aspires to be an amazing player with great skill but a lot of those folks either do not want to put in the time or effort, or get upset far too easily that they are not improving as fast as they want to or whatever.

You are not the only one to feel these frustrations or problems. It happens to a lot of folks, myself included.

It will feel like you are not improving or feel like you are as good as you are going to get at it. It is extremely frustrating to see yourself lose to something so stupid, or otherwise feel powerless against someone who wipes the floor with you. Skill does not hit you like a ton of bricks, and sometimes you just do not perform as well as you should. This is just the natural process of getting good.

It takes a lot of patience. And I do mean a lot of it.

And yes, some people are going to have an easier time learning a game than others. Most people have gamed their entire lives, and depending on the games they played previously most might already have certain skills needed because they have already learned them by playing other games. No one just has this special "I can do everything so easily" skill/gift. A lot of people may seem like naturals, but you really do not know their side of the story at all. You do not know what they have been through. You cannot imagine the pain and the trials they have had to endure to get so good at it.

For example, I have been cooking for nearly 50 years now and I still consider my skills only slightly above-average at best. When I look at other people's recipes I do get very envious and wish I had the skills they have; however from the many personality chefs I have watched it seems most have literally cooked each and every day of their lives to get that good, whereas I just do not cook as much as I should or need to get better.

Point is, do not just assume they are great just because they are great. Do not get so envious to the point it makes you feel terrible. It is just a game. Everyone improves as long as you put in the work. Do not beat yourself down because of a loss.

Above all, if you are clearly not enjoying yourself maybe you should stop playing. Games are meant to be enjoyed after all. You should be able to relax, have fun, and be able to do something you love. If you are only experiencing rage, depression, and things like that then it might not just be for you. It might suck and you may not want to quit, but it is better than tormenting yourself like that, ya dig?

Anyways, if you read through this post (as well as the others' posts) completely and if they helped encourage you, wonderful!

Sayonara :kirby:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
The number one thing to remember when playing any sort of game online is this: "There is always going to be someone out there that is better than you". (Of course, also that it's just a game, too)

You have to stop and realize this. No matter how good someone is they will eventually meet their match or meet someone in an entirely different league of their own. It happens to everyone. Everybody tries hard to get good at a game, now especially if they are very passionate about said game. Everybody aspires to be an amazing player with great skill but a lot of those folks either do not want to put in the time or effort, or get upset far too easily that they are not improving as fast as they want to or whatever.

You are not the only one to feel these frustrations or problems. It happens to a lot of folks, myself included.

It will feel like you are not improving or feel like you are as good as you are going to get at it. It is extremely frustrating to see yourself lose to something so stupid, or otherwise feel powerless against someone who wipes the floor with you. Skill does not hit you like a ton of bricks, and sometimes you just do not perform as well as you should. This is just the natural process of getting good.

It takes a lot of patience. And I do mean a lot of it.

And yes, some people are going to have an easier time learning a game than others. Most people have gamed their entire lives, and depending on the games they played previously most might already have certain skills needed because they have already learned them by playing other games. No one just has this special "I can do everything so easily" skill/gift. A lot of people may seem like naturals, but you really do not know their side of the story at all. You do not know what they have been through. You cannot imagine the pain and the trials they have had to endure to get so good at it.

For example, I have been cooking for nearly 50 years now and I still consider my skills only slightly above-average at best. When I look at other people's recipes I do get very envious and wish I had the skills they have; however from the many personality chefs I have watched it seems most have literally cooked each and every day of their lives to get that good, whereas I just do not cook as much as I should or need to get better.

Point is, do not just assume they are great just because they are great. Do not get so envious to the point it makes you feel terrible. It is just a game. Everyone improves as long as you put in the work. Do not beat yourself down because of a loss.

Above all, if you are clearly not enjoying yourself maybe you should stop playing. Games are meant to be enjoyed after all. You should be able to relax, have fun, and be able to do something you love. If you are only experiencing rage, depression, and things like that then it might not just be for you. It might suck and you may not want to quit, but it is better than tormenting yourself like that, ya dig?

Anyways, if you read through this post (as well as the others' posts) completely and if they helped encourage you, wonderful!

Sayonara :kirby:
"Theres always going to be someone out there better than you" well then, whose the best?

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Haha i think ive met a Chrom that litteraly dodged my attacks and countered it instantly with an arial. I couldnt do anything.

And during those fights, i feel like im playing PAL version of a fighting game with my Switch controllers. Guess i should get a Gamecube controller.

Siddmaster

Smash Rookie
Haha i think ive met a Chrom that litteraly dodged my attacks and countered it instantly with an arial. I couldnt do anything.

And during those fights, i feel like im playing PAL version of a fighting game with my Switch controllers. Guess i should get a Gamecube controller.
If you’re using a pro it’s probably not the controller (unless you’re having a hard time angling attacks which usually isn’t the primary reason for a loss). I’d say the pro is as good as a GC, it’s really only preference.
If you’re using joycons... yeah it may be the controller.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Lol at the tryhards that got triggered. Just lower you GSP, TC. the gsp thing is horrible and divides the playerbase that leaves a huge huge gap in between how smash is really supposed to be played and, 1 vs 1. Goodluck finding ffa time all items and stage hazards at 2.3 mil GSP.
If more people play 1v1 than "the supposed way" does it truly mean that? :thonking:

Honestly I get wanting random matches sometimes but FFAs are surely only fun with people in the room (or chat room) with you?

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
If you’re using a pro it’s probably not the controller (unless you’re having a hard time angling attacks which usually isn’t the primary reason for a loss). I’d say the pro is as good as a GC, it’s really only preference.
If you’re using joycons... yeah it may be the controller.
Im using the joycon that came with the Switch and yeah, i think it is indeed the controller. Its even more noticeable in USF2, where its much harder for me to do ultras and combos on a joycon than my friends wireless controlpad.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
By try hards do you mean those that are actually good at the game and not terrible like you? Imagine thinking that there is a certain way smash need to be played. Why did you join SmashBoards, a forum for competitive players, to name call anyone who can easily beat you?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
By try hards do you mean those that are actually good at the game and not terrible like you? Imagine thinking that there is a certain way smash need to be played. Why did you join SmashBoards, a forum for competitive players, to name call anyone who can easily beat you?
This little kid has been throwing flame around other threads just report them and leave it to the mods.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Reporting doesn’t do much unfortunately. It takes wayyyy too many infractions to actually ban someone on this site.
Yeah I wish it was more obvious for the mods to see that someone clearly isn't here to make SB a better place and just remove them.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
It was a joke and, i do play competitively lets exchange FCs and play! Ive asked to challenge plenty to play with no luck, they all duck.

Sorry for hurting everyones feelings with one sentence. No joking allowed here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It was a joke and, i do play competitively lets exchange FCs and play! Ive asked to challenge plenty to play with no luck, they all duck.

Joking is allowed but don't pretend what you were doing was just joking.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759

5088-5051-5627 see you soon!

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
5088-5051-5627 see you soon!
11:30 PM CST if youre still available, ill make an arena best of 3 and repost here when im online. Ill post the room code and passcode. Thats a promise.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
11:30 PM CST if youre still available, ill make an arena best of 3 and repost here when im online. Ill post the room code and passcode. Thats a promise.
That is 12:30 in the morning for me. I will not have the energy to perform well at a time like that. Can it be any sooner?

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
That is 12:30 in the morning for me. I will not have the energy to perform well at a time like that. Can it be any sooner?
Honestly , not today..hate to say it :/ ill add your fc and well be friends my game name or whatever is the same as this.

Im online now . if u cant play i sent u a friend request anyway. Ill be online aaallll night

BK SAMUS

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9507-3538
Switch FC
5973-4525-5596
I freaking suck I need major help someone to train with that can point out my mistakes damn I suck smh lol really thou my neutral game is booty and my combo game is kaka also I can not for the life of me finish off kills consistently ( gimping etc) ughhh am sad

Platysaur

Smash Rookie
You're in elite smash. You're going to go against some of the best players using high tier characters, so expect to get whooped a lot if you consider them tryhards.

Last edited:

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Wait, does GSP work in such a way that you can't choose to play normal quick-play if you have elite smash?

Also, to everyone saying for him to just 'get better' I think you misunderstood his opening post or, more likely, you read the title only and posted a response.

The issue is that he is looking for casual, 4 player matches, but unable to find them. I have a few suggestions, such as browsing the battle arena's or setting one up yourself and letting people know. I would for your sake and out of courtesy, not attempt to look for FFA's on elite smash. You're not as likely to find one and if you are put into one there's a high chance someone there will be upset to be in one and thats not cool.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Wait, does GSP work in such a way that you can't choose to play normal quick-play if you have elite smash?
You're elite only for the fighters that you brought into a high enough gsp (currently 2.4m unless I'm mistaken). For your fighters under that gsp elite smash will be disabled for them.

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
You're elite only for the fighters that you brought into a high enough gsp (currently 2.4m unless I'm mistaken). For your fighters under that gsp elite smash will be disabled for them.
You misunderstood the question. I'll rephrase. Are you able to choose not to play elite smash with a character that you have unlocked elite smash for?

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Play offline with your friends until/if Nintendo/SORA/Namco fix the online. It is not the "tryhards" fault rather the devs when it comes to the online. People that want the madness of free for all are getting put up against 1v1 fans and 1v1 fans are being shoved into free for all rules. Why SORA and Namco thought this matchmaking system was a good idea baffles me. I mean the online itself is good nice a stable but how the game matches people up is to be impolite pure and utter trash. No matter what your favoured rules set is half the time your will be put into a rule set you do not find fun.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Yes you can??? Their portrait will be blacked out but you can still click on them and it will take you into regular smash instead
I think he was referring to characters that you DO have Elite Smash unlocked for. You’re forced to play Elite Smash with these characters.

The blacked out characters are only ones that you haven’t unlocked Elite Smash for.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I think he was referring to characters that you DO have Elite Smash unlocked for. You’re forced to play Elite Smash with these characters.

The blacked out characters are only ones that you haven’t unlocked Elite Smash for.
Welp. I completely misread that, whoops. Should probably not use this site before drinking my coffee.

Dunharrow

Smash Cadet
There is nothing wrong with losing. The best thing you can do is to to keep playing and watching replays. Pay attention to what youre doing wrong. how you can improve on your play. Theyre not "try hards" theyre there to win, just as much as you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom