• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do Fire Emblem fans hate Roy?

Quillion

Smash Hero
A lot of fans tend to consider him to be the worst lord in the series. As an example, pretty much everyone on this Reddit says so.

People think he's bland, but none of the main lords in other Fire Emblem series don't seem particularly better. Including dear Sigurd (who's an overrated character in an overrated, tedious game).

COME AT ME NOW!

RyanR7

Smash Rookie
Yeah I think he's a badass.. a beast in Smash 4 imo. Though I haven't played the game Fire Emblem to know why people hate him lol.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
A lot of fans tend to consider him to be the worst lord in the series. As an example, pretty much everyone on this Reddit says so.

People think he's bland, but none of the main lords in other Fire Emblem series don't seem particularly better. Including dear Sigurd (who's an overrated character in an overrated, tedious game).

COME AT ME NOW!
people hate him because hes was not only the worst whiny personality, but he was incapable of of advancing until really near the end of the game so he was useless and would die to anything half way through the game. ontop of that having roy kill anything when he max level cuz he cant job advance means wasting precious exp witch is limited in such games. so he was not only useless he was a liability and an irritating personality.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
He was terrible in his own game until he got the Sword of Seals which was near the end of the game. Throughout the rest of the game you basically have to protect him.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well then...that could explain why Lyndis came to his rescue at the end of his trailer.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
people hate him because hes was not only the worst whiny personality
he never struck me as whiny
if fact I can't even think of an instance were he was
Including dear Sigurd (who's an overrated character in an overrated, tedious game).

COME AT ME NOW!
his son is actually the overrated character in that game

Last edited:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Roy had bad stats for a lord, a bland personality, and his game was generally dull and a rehash of Shadow Dragon.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
people hate him because hes was not only the worst whiny personality, but he was incapable of of advancing until really near the end of the game so he was useless and would die to anything half way through the game. ontop of that having roy kill anything when he max level cuz he cant job advance means wasting precious exp witch is limited in such games. so he was not only useless he was a liability and an irritating personality.
Nailed it.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
lmao people with Ike icons saying Roy had a bland personality.

Roy's game is one of the best designed ones in the franchise, the only dumb thing is the RNG, but everything else is well balanced.

Also, it makes sense for Roy not be good because, well, he is 15, and not only that, he was purposefully made weak so you had to strategize how you would be the chapters fast (Many chapters in the game require you to beat the chapter in a low number of turns in order to get a good ending) AND you had to take the Throne (Which means Roy getting to the throne of the chapter, where the boss is) makes Roy what the King is for Chess.

That, and that Roy is the only reason FE was brought into America (Honestly who liked Marth in melee without competitive in mind) make him one of my favorite lords in the entire franchise.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I was neutral to Roy in melee and his own game. However he's got some muscles and can pass for a dude easily in Sm4sh, unlike Marth. Also he seems to be the best of the 3 similar chars atm, so we may as well call Marth/Martha "Roy clones."

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
lmao people with Ike icons saying Roy had a bland personality.

Roy's game is one of the best designed ones in the franchise, the only dumb thing is the RNG, but everything else is well balanced.

Also, it makes sense for Roy not be good because, well, he is 15, and not only that, he was purposefully made weak so you had to strategize how you would be the chapters fast (Many chapters in the game require you to beat the chapter in a low number of turns in order to get a good ending) AND you had to take the Throne (Which means Roy getting to the throne of the chapter, where the boss is) makes Roy what the King is for Chess.

That, and that Roy is the only reason FE was brought into America (Honestly who liked Marth in melee without competitive in mind) make him one of my favorite lords in the entire franchise.
While marth was bland in his own games, he single handedly has the most lore invloving him. Also some ******** feats. His personality in awakening dlc though was great, in general he really is the face of FE.

Also loli tiki calling him mar-mar

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
It's just western Fire Emblem fans that tend to feel that way. The Japanese Fire Emblem fans regard Roy very highly.

Here are the Famitsu scores for some of the games, found on Serenes Forest.

Shadow Dragon - 34
Radiant Dawn - 33
Path of Radiance - 34
The Sacred Stones - 35
Blazing Sword - 34
Sword of Seals - 36
Thracia 776 - 35
Genealogy of the Holy War - 31
Mystery of the Emblem - 36

Along with Mystery of the Emblem, and possibly Awakening, Roy's game "Sword of Seals" was actually rated one of the highest.

And then on a poll hosted by Nintendo Japan's website, they asked players who was their favorite character of Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals.

Roy got 1st place popularity.

Here's the link to the website in Japanese: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/afej/k_tohyo/01.html

There seems to be a trend that western Fire Emblem players like main characters who are powerhouses, and can sweep entire armies on their own.

Meanwhile, characters like Roy may not be able to solo entire maps, and they also need to be watched closely, but Japanese players seem to appreciate that quality about him, and the challenges that it could provide.

FE6 Roy is a lot like a King within a Chess game. Around the beginning game through the mid-game, the King isn't a very powerful piece and must be protected by many other pieces. However, around the end game, once the board becomes more cleared out, the King generally becomes a much more useful and powerful piece. It's much like Roy's situation where he advances near the end of his own game.

He's a character that forces strategy upon the players, a character who values intellect.

I mean, at the young age of 15, he didn't even have a master tactician to rely on like his father did, or Lyn, Hector, Ike, Lucina, etc.

HE WAS THE MAIN TACTICIAN OF HIS OWN ARMY.

Our Boy needs more credit, and he's going to get his due. Both here and in the "Evening Smash."

Last edited:

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
While marth was bland in his own games, he single handedly has the most lore invloving him. Also some ******** feats. His personality in awakening dlc though was great, in general he really is the face of FE.

Also loli tiki calling him mar-mar
When did I say Marth was bland.

Also that... doesnt count in melee... since Awakening hasnt come by that time and only the NES games were made.... and no one knew about FE because it wasnt localized yet..

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
When did I say Marth was bland.

Also that... doesnt count in melee... since Awakening hasnt come by that time and only the NES games were made.... and no one knew about FE because it wasnt localized yet..
marth at least had 2 games involving him around that time i belive and if not im sure the blue haired off springs were already a thing.
and your right nobody western knew who the hell marth or roy was. but at least it triggered enough interest to bring it down here.

Last edited:

COME AT ME NOW!
It's a lot of misconceptions.

I would say he's one of the less viable lords, but he's certainly better than a handful.

Reddit is awful, especially with their Fire Emblem discussion. I tend to look for more enriching and satisfying places for FE discussion.

I never understood personality complaints. He has so many great quotes and stands out as a down-to-earth, human lord and character that I honestly always found more appealing than all but a handful of lords, and most characters. I can post some of his quotes that stand out most if anyone wants.

So many people claim that genuine Fire Emblem fans don't like or shouldn't like Roy. Which is complete nonsense. Especially with how much Hector and Ephraim are ****ridden when I don't see much special in them compared to other lords, statistically or via their personality and quotes.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Im actually talking about both ikes.

PoR Ike is an Stu where every single decision he does is the correct answer and everything goes luckily on his favor.

RD Ike Is weak

Roy had bad stats for a lord, a bland personality, and his game was generally dull and a rehash of Shadow Dragon.
Some characters resemble others, but other than that, there's pretty much nothing rehashed. Bad stats for a lord? Comparatively, his growths compared to the average unit in his game are higher than most lords to units in their own games iirc. It's his promotion that cripples him, and he's still really solid at Lv20 unpromoted and Lv1 promoted. His personality compared to other lords is one of the better ones. I can understand if you've never played FE6 or haven't played it in years and wanna be on an r/fireemblem bandwagon that popped up around 2014, though.

He was terrible in his own game until he got the Sword of Seals which was near the end of the game. Throughout the rest of the game you basically have to protect him.
He can meatshield almost everything at Lv20 unpromoted, and he should have an easy time climbing to that point, especially considering his jointime, how many bandits there are for the first stretch of the game, and how based swords are in FE6. He's not much besides a meatshield and throne capture for most of the game, yes, but he's not terrible or weak otherwise.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Some characters resemble others, but other than that, there's pretty much nothing rehashed. Bad stats for a lord? Comparatively, his growths compared to the average unit in his game are higher than most lords to units in their own games iirc. It's his promotion that cripples him, and he's still really solid at Lv20 unpromoted and Lv1 promoted. His personality compared to other lords is one of the better ones. I can understand if you've never played FE6 or haven't played it in years and wanna be on an r/fireemblem bandwagon that popped up around 2014, though.

He can meatshield almost everything at Lv20 unpromoted, and he should have an easy time climbing to that point, especially considering his jointime, how many bandits there are for the first stretch of the game, and how based swords are in FE6. He's not much besides a meatshield and throne capture for most of the game, yes, but he's not terrible or weak otherwise.
And while i played almost every FE i will say roy is not as bad as people make him out to be. he was a good character just a bad lord to me, since the whole im not strong enough main character stuggle has been played out, maybe not in the past when that game actually came out though. My biggest issue with him his that roy never really felt encouraging, i know he was young, but that still ties into his role as lord, i know chrom was a bit older but to me chrom even though he knew he could never live up to the standards placed from his sisters presence his belife in his comrades shared over almost symbioticly, But chrom was one of the best lords to me, so im willing to concider personal prefference and bais.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Roy had bad stats for a lord
he can get close to cap in almost every offensive stat and there is a decent number of axe units early on (so sword locked didn't hinder him early)
it's just a poor promotion time

i know he was young, but that still ties into his role as lord, i know chrom was a bit older but to me chrom even though he knew he could never live up to the standards placed from his sisters presence his belife in his comrades shared over almost symbioticly, But chrom was one of the best lords to me, so im willing to concider personal prefference and bais.
Chrom honestly should have just died
and stayed that way
would have been logical

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
he never struck me as whiny
if fact I can't even think of an instance were he was

his son is actually the overrated character in that game
I don't see Fire Emblem fans worshipping Seliph as a god, so no.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I don't see Fire Emblem fans worshipping Seliph as a god, so no.
ok well welcome to the truth of the japanese opinion
they like seliph more then sigurd. a lot
Do I understand why? no
how do I know this? it's based on the number of hits I get on japanese sites

Quillion

Smash Hero
ok well welcome to the truth of the japanese opinion
they like seliph more then sigurd. a lot
Do I understand why? no
how do I know this? it's based on the number of hits I get on japanese sites
Point taken, but still, when it comes to international fans, my point stands.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Eh you guys didn't know what the scenario writing was like. Not only is Roy mostly a horrible unit, but in the game he was pretty much a complete idiot. Especially when it came to leading an army. Be glad he had the player as a tactician or Lycia would be toast.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Point taken, but still, when it comes to international fans, my point stands.
when it comes to intenational fans then they all played awakening and want chrom in the game :p
Eh you guys didn't know what the scenario writing was like. Not only is Roy mostly a horrible unit, but in the game he was pretty much a complete idiot. Especially when it came to leading an army. Be glad he had the player as a tactician or Lycia would be toast.
wrong game buddy you're thinking of eliwood.
but I will admit Roy's dad was not very bright
tumblr_n40d8heX1V1qg78ilo2_1280.png

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
You are only proving my point.
cept those lines are from burning blade
the game where ROY was not playable and eliwood his father was
we are talking about binding blade which wasn't even localized

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Fire emblem fans don't hate Roy. I've played every fire emblem and its my most played series. As much as I love Roy I though his chances of coming back were low because we already had a Marth clone in the form of Lucina. I wish Lucina was a lot more unique in playstyle. She isn't a Wolf or Luigi that's for sure. I can at least say its good that Roy is different enough now but wouldn't say he should be in the game more over say Wolf for example.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
cept those lines are from burning blade
the game where ROY was not playable and eliwood his father was
we are talking about binding blade which wasn't even localized
Indeed. You should check out the translation sometime.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551

I'm speaking from personal experience, not just jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe I'm just bad at the game, but I had a very hard time leveling Roy up.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'm speaking from personal experience, not just jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe I'm just bad at the game, but I had a very hard time leveling Roy up.
In some of the FE games you literally had to whittle an enemy down to low HP so a Lord could finish them off.

Unless you were Hector. Since that Lord was godly.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I can understand trying to level up promoted Roy being annoying since he doesn't promote till so late.

Top Bottom