• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do Fire Emblem fans hate Roy?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Saying Roy has no personality is flat out stupid. No lord in the series is like that and all of them have their own unique personalities despite appearing to be vanilla to some.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Again, more crappy reasons haters use to hate on Roy. It's amazing to see how FE can be my favorite Nintendo franchise yet still be the same series with the worst friggin community that worships their overrated lord and savior Hector.

I can't even fathom how much I resent this stupid community.
Not as bad as Smash. Or Sonic. Or My Little Pony.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd take the Smash community a million times over the FE community really. With the Smash community, it's only a minority of people who are annoying and complain about stuff while the majority doesn't.

With FE, it's always the same people worshiping their lords that OHKO everyone on the map and especially the FE community's darling Hector (and conversely, hating on lords who don't fit that mold). These people honestly make me hate the community despite me liking the FE franchise. Even the PKMN fanbase is better than it and it has it's fair share of annoying people.

D

Deleted member

Despite me not playing FE6 yet, I can safely say that I personally won't dislike him. I like him in Smash and think he's pretty cool. But I totally see where people are coming from when they say that hate the FE community. I gotta admit I find it annoying at times too. And while I got nothing against Hector, I do wish people would stop hating on Roy so much and viewing Hector as some god. People are just so nit-picky these days.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I view Hector as the Vegeta of the Fire Emblem series. He's not a really bad character personality wise. It's just that the fanbase loves to overrate him because he's the "edgy" one out of the FE7 trio which really isn't saying much because he hardly does anything like that in the game. He uses chessy insults to the bosses he fights against and he's somehow viewed as a "badass" which is really laughable really. As a unit, he can be useful though there comes a point about mid-way where he just stops being relevant and gets chewed out by bosses on the map because he always friggin misses enemy units despite his strength. Yeah, Roy doesn't fair well against boss units either eventually but at least he doesn't constantly miss enemy units and can fight well against a good number of units despite his late promotion. When people go about with how "great" and "cool" Hector is, I just always cringe because he isn't worth the hype he gets.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I'd take the Smash community a million times over the FE community really. With the Smash community, it's only a minority of people who are annoying and complain about stuff while the majority doesn't.

With FE, it's always the same people worshiping their lords that OHKO everyone on the map and especially the FE community's darling Hector (and conversely, hating on lords who don't fit that mold). These people honestly make me hate the community despite me liking the FE franchise. Even the PKMN fanbase is better than it and it has it's fair share of annoying people.
...nice sweeping generalization of the FE community. Are you sure you don't just have something against Hector? Because I'm pretty sure a large number of people (probably close to the number of people who like Hector) like Ike, and I don't see you complaining about him. How do you know those people are by far the majority of people and not just a vocal minority? Because the impression I'm getting is similar to someone wandering around the American South and concluding that, say, most Americans are anti-gay marriage.
As a unit, he can be useful though there comes a point about mid-way where he just stops being relevant and gets chewed out by bosses on the map because he always friggin misses enemy units despite his strength.
I don't get it. So he OHKOs everyone...but for half the game he doesn't?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
...nice sweeping generalization of the FE community. Are you sure you don't just have something against Hector? Because I'm pretty sure a large number of people (probably close to the number of people who like Hector) like Ike, and I don't see you complaining about him. How do you know those people are by far the majority of people and not just a vocal minority? Because the impression I'm getting is similar to someone wandering around the American South and concluding that, say, most Americans are anti-gay marriage.

I don't get it. So he OHKOs everyone...but for half the game he doesn't?
That's the way people say Hector is for their games even though he was pretty much irrelevant for me halfway through the game.

It might not be the entire community but it speaks volume for the majority. All you have to do is venture out to the wastelands also known as [r]fireemblem or other FE communites on the internet and you'll see these kind of people. These people constantly praise their hero Hector whilst looking for ways to hate on Roy even if it's for stupid reasons.

Because Ike was a really good character not just stat wise (which is the be all end all factor for a lot of FE fans) but personality wise and is deserving of his place in the Smash Bros roster (being the vocal point of the Tellius saga like how Roy is for the Elibe saga). He also happens not to be a tryhard like Hector is and the praise he gets is deserved really.

FE just happens to be a series that I really enjoy despite me loathing the fanbase for the series.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
As an emblemier who has played all the American releases (though PoR and RD haven't been finished by me yet), I wouldn't say I hate Roy. I liked him quite a bit in Melee, playing him at least as much as Link. However, I feel that my main gripes with Roy are that he seems rather underaged for a main character (even by FE standards), and that his own game hasn't been officially given an English translation. At least he seems a bit older in Smash than in the source...

Hector is pretty cool as a character, but I liked all three of the lead units in Fire Emblem quite a bit. Actually, Lyn and Hector are tied, with Eliwood a close second. And I think @ Ura Ura just got RNG trolled, Hector hit often enough for my tastes late-game. For me, Lyndis was the least valuable character at the end, just because her damage output was much inferior for my highly aggressive playstyle.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
That's the way people say Hector is for their games even though he was pretty much irrelevant for me halfway through the game.

It might not be the entire community but it speaks volume for the majority. All you have to do is venture out to the wastelands also known as [r]fireemblem or other FE communites on the internet and you'll see these kind of people. These people constantly praise their hero Hector whilst looking for ways to hate on Roy even if it's for stupid reasons.

Because Ike was a really good character not just stat wise (which is the be all end all factor for a lot of FE fans) but personality wise and is deserving of his place in the Smash Bros roster (being the vocal point of the Tellius saga like how Roy is for the Elibe saga). He also happens not to be a tryhard like Hector is and the praise he gets is deserved really.

FE just happens to be a series that I really enjoy despite me loathing the fanbase for the series.
I...still don't get why the whole vocal minority thing works for Smash and not FE.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I...still don't get why the whole vocal minority thing works for Smash and not FE.
Are you talking about my post at the top of the page? By that, I was talking about people in the Smash fanbase who complain endlessly about "X" character getting in or not getting in (depending on what the situation is) which is a minority of the Smash fanbase. I honestly can't say the same thing for the FE community based on what I see from there.

As an emblemier who has played all the American releases (though PoR and RD haven't been finished by me yet), I wouldn't say I hate Roy. I liked him quite a bit in Melee, playing him at least as much as Link. However, I feel that my main gripes with Roy are that he seems rather underaged for a main character (even by FE standards), and that his own game hasn't been officially given an English translation. At least he seems a bit older in Smash than in the source...

Hector is pretty cool as a character, but I liked all three of the lead units in Fire Emblem quite a bit. Actually, Lyn and Hector are tied, with Eliwood a close second. And I think @ Ura Ura just got RNG trolled, Hector hit often enough for my tastes late-game. For me, Lyndis was the least valuable character at the end, just because her damage output was much inferior for my highly aggressive playstyle.
I don't think Hector is a bad character (because I can use the "bad" label to describe a lot of FE lords, they all have their ups and downs) I just think he's massively overrated not just stat wise but personality wise as well.

It's funny because Lyn was the best lord in my playthrough while Eliwood was in the middle and Hector was the least valuable. A lot of people say "we'll you probably got RNG screwed" but that can't be the case when it was a pain to level up Hector and I couldn't even get him to Lvl. 10 by the time I got in to the Black Fang portion of the story (which is also the point of time where enemy units will eat you out alive if your underleveled) and thus I wasn't able to use him that much.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
You have some points there. I guess it worked out better for me since I generally tend to favor my Lord units because I know I'll be stuck with them for the whole game. So I go out of my way early on to grind them so they stay relevant instead of turning from Great Lords into cowardly princelings that require body guards. Marth is the exception, it's impossible to keep him relevant with those stats and horrible level cap. Lyn didn't pan out for me because I failed to recognize the importance of raising her Bow level...

(Off-Topic):
That said, Shadow Dragon had one great perk for me: I discovered a large oversight of the programmers that lets you get two Falchions as well as have Tiki and Naga both alive at the same time. Just have Tiki hold Falchion and no dragonstone on chapter 24, let her get killed, and finish the chapter. Falchion gets sent to convoy like all other equipment on fallen units, but Gotoh sends you to 24X anyway. Once there, use Aum to revive Tiki, and voila.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Marth doesn't promote in his game right? That must make him a liability in his game right? (I haven't gone through Marth's games just yet).

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Nope, no promotes, level cap at 30. Yet somehow they think he should be one of the only two characters capable of dealing significant damage to the final boss....

Anyone else wish they would bring back the Freelancer class?

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Are you talking about my post at the top of the page? By that, I was talking about people in the Smash fanbase who complain endlessly about "X" character getting in or not getting in (depending on what the situation is) which is a minority of the Smash fanbase. I honestly can't say the same thing for the FE community based on what I see from there.
Really? A majority of FE fans majorly dislike/hate Roy and overly glorify Hector? Somehow, I don't believe that.

It's funny because Lyn was the best lord in my playthrough while Eliwood was in the middle and Hector was the least valuable. A lot of people say "we'll you probably got RNG screwed" but that can't be the case when it was a pain to level up Hector and I couldn't even get him to Lvl. 10 by the time I got in to the Black Fang portion of the story (which is also the point of time where enemy units will eat you out alive if your underleveled) and thus I wasn't able to use him that much.
This reeks of my experience > their experience.
Marth doesn't promote in his game right? That must make him a liability in his game right? (I haven't gone through Marth's games just yet).
He does get Falchion and the Shield of Seals sometime in FE1, and since Falchion seals all non-dragon direct attacks and the Shield gives +2 to all stats, I'd say that he and Roy aren't nearly on the same level. But I, like you, haven''t played FE1.
Also, seriously, at this point you're really reaching.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's pretty much the general opinion of the community which is a pretty dumb one. Heck, the only reason why this thread was created was to showcase the disdain the FE community has for Roy.

That might be the case but i'm only proving a point to show that Hector is nearly as great as some of his fans like to make him out to be. IDK what you meant by that last statement but whatever I guess.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
That's pretty much the general opinion of the community which is a pretty dumb one. Heck, the only reason why this thread was created was to showcase the disdain the FE community has for Roy.
You do realize that by "hate" I mean actually hate, right? I don't mean just not being a fan of Roy or disliking him, which would just be their opinion, I mean outright hating him or, at the very least very, very, very, much disliking him.
That might be the case but i'm only proving a point to show that Hector is nearly as great as some of his fans like to make him out to be.
You're also using your personal opinion from what sounds to be only one playthrough and seems to be a maximum of maybe three, compared with everyone else's experience.
IDK what you meant by that last statement but whatever I guess.
My statement was meant to indicate that I thought that by that post you were clearly trying to find any reason to justify Roy's flaws and make them seem better by comparing them to a well-liked lord for no other apparent reason.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Most FE lords are meh to me. Hector, Lucina (if she counts) and Leaf are the only ones I think are worth mentioning as well-written.

FE6 was just a frustrating game. It had the inherent mechanics and design of a REALLY fun game, overall it was a fun (but difficult) game. But certain design choices just severely hindered the experience.

With regards to Roy, it was that he needed to be babied for the majority of the game. And the reward for doing so? A big slap in the face with only 1 chapter to use him unless you got the obtuse true ending, and then still only a few chapters for him to maybe barely start becoming self sufficient... Only for him to make the actual final chapter piss-easy by doing metric ****tons of damage to dragons

His design also magnifies another annoying design choice of needing him to do the most awkward things to get said true ending. If he was like Ike, or Chrom and self-sufficient as hell it'd be okay, but needing like half your army to help him talk or visit some village was so irritating.

And just the timing of his class change was infuriating. FE7, just one game later, did a REMARKABLY better job with both the classes and timing of their class changes.

In fe7, you get to change 1 of the two eligible lord classes in a "survive" chapter. With lots of wyvern knights the classed up lords are effective against, and conveniently two new high-tier units to protect them (one of which with psychic to heal them). An inherently defensive chapter means no need to be risky with a newly classed up unit in need of EXP.

And even though the final lord classes up somewhat late, it's at least NOT RIGHT BEFORE THE "FINAL BATTLE"
It's a tricky chapter with lots of scary, classed up unit that makes you think really hard about how to use the new classed up lord. And the reward is LOTS of experience, definitely enough to get them up to snuff in a single chapter if they were capped before classing.

Ike IMO had an issue similar to Roy but in the converse. Classed up TOO soon, was TOO reliable(especially after he got Ragnell) and instead of making the final chapter piss-easy like Roy, it felt ONLY beatable with Ike. (unless you base your strategy around the royal laguz or resolve abuse with one of the s-class weapons capable of harming the boss)

You actually could solo hard mode with Ike, that's how reliable he was.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
However, I feel that my main gripes with Roy are that he seems rather underaged for a main character (even by FE standards).
How come no one complains that Marth is too young even though he's stated to be 15 in Shadow Dragon just like Roy is in Binding Blade?

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
@ DunnoBro DunnoBro : I know what you mean about Ike, I had him capped at Lv. 20 two chapters before he got promoted in the story. He feels even stronger than Hector, imo...

@ Quillion Quillion : Wait, what? Roy is 15?? But he always looks like a 12 or 13 year old in the artwork........ Marth I forgot was 15, since he looks quite mature.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I find it ironic that (Western) Fire Emblem fans hate grinding and easy experience/money yet they love their solo lords.

What the **** guys?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Solo lords generally don't make it too easy to solo the game with them - you have to actually know what you're doing to solo the game with them. This is actually one of the complaints about Awakening - Robin can relatively easily solo the game if paired with even unequipped Chrom on lower difficulties, and it's certainly possible on Lunatic. And please don't generalize Western FE fans into one group, we all have different views and opinions.

Quillion

Smash Hero
And please don't generalize Western FE fans into one group, we all have different views and opinions.
Well, that's certainly the impression that I'm getting from this thread.

Though it does help that there's always that little coven of Binding Blade defenders that only seem to confirm that they really are a minority.

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
Hi, I've played all 13 games and put a good bit of time into all of them. I like Roy design wise, maybe his personality is bland or whatever but I guess I'm easy to please(cause apparently Marth is bland and I love him lol.) Anyways. Yes Roy is objectively the worst Lord back in the day we'd argue that Leif or him was the worst but then realized how useful Leif was in his game and there is no way he could be the worst. Roy has his uses he just kinda promotes late and isn't very useful till the end of the game which sucks. His game is pretty good though tbh and other units make up for it but again I'm easy to please lol.

Only FE games I think are I guess weak entries or not as good would be Radiant Dawn and Awakening but I still enjoyed them.

Us FE fans aren't all the same I promise :p Though the majority of the Western fanbase jerks off to Ike and Hector don't let that ruin it for you!

EDIT: We also had like a Lord tier list discussion a long time ago if you guys wanna check that out it's rather interesting http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49119

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Roy is the most popular character in the Fire Emblem franchise that's in Smash! I've never heard any hate on him whatsoever. Just praises. To be honest, Roy is, for a 15 year old, surprisingly skilled with his sword, the Binding Blade. In fact, it gives all of Roy's attacks a fire effect.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Solo lords generally don't make it too easy to solo the game with them - you have to actually know what you're doing to solo the game with them. This is actually one of the complaints about Awakening - Robin can relatively easily solo the game if paired with even unequipped Chrom on lower difficulties, and it's certainly possible on Lunatic. And please don't generalize Western FE fans into one group, we all have different views and opinions.
Well, theres that and magic characters are broken in FE: Awakening.

Top Bottom