• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do BrawlEx characters have less costumes than the character their cloned off of

SMR_99

Smash Cadet
When I was making a BrawlEx Shadow, I went to CostumeManager and saw he had at least 8 costumes, but after I created his cosmetics, he only had 5. For Daisy on Brawl Config Utility I made the costume numbers to 12 but only 6 are available. Im really confused since in the actaul game Sonic has 5 slots and Peach has 6. But I don't understand how Ridley has the same number of slots as PROJECT M Pit but Waluigi has wayyyyy more slots. PLZ HELP!!!!!!!

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
Use a hex editor like HxD and open up the character's CSSSlotXX.dat, this file contains the information about the clone's costumes that are selectable in the CSS. Starting from offset 0x20 (The start of the third row in 16-byte view), you'll see the bytes that represent each individual costume.

For example, this is from Mario's CSSSlot:
"00 00 09 06 01 03 ... 01 0A 0C 00"
It's in hexadecimal, so 10 would be 0A and 11 would be 0B, 12 would be 0C and so on.

Each costume is made of two bytes, so you can imagine a comma in between both costumes like this:
"00 00, 09 06, 01 03, ... 01 0A, 0C 00"
The first byte represents the color of the costume, but it serves no real purpose in the game. I'd keep the red/blue/green costumes at 00/01/03, otherwise just do what's convenient for you.
The second byte is the model associated with that costume. For example, 00 is Mario's default clothes and 06 is his fire-flower outfit.
"0C 00" tells the game that there are no more costumes to load.
The order the pairs appear in this file will be the order the costumes appear in the game.

With the above in mind, we can add more costumes. Move "0C 00" and move it a few of pairs ahead depending on the number of costumes you want to add and fill in each pair accordingly. So, for example, if we wanted to add 2 costumes (11 and 12) to Mario (more on that later...) we'd go from "...01 0A, 0C 00" to "...01 0A, XX 0B, XX 0C, 0C 00"*. Save and the file should be good to go.

A few things to note, however:
1. Make sure you've added the cosmetics (CSP, BP and Stock Icons) for each costume in their respective places. The game WILL crash if any are missing. I don't think Costume Manager works with PMEx very well so you're going to have to use BrawlBox to add them yourself. If you aren't sure how to do that, you can ask me here later.
2. The added costume ID's should be enabled in the FighterXX.dat. If you haven't already, use Brawl Config Utility and go do that.
3. Unless you've given a character two cosmetic slots (Like Wario), a character cannot have more than 10 costumes.
4. Otherwise, in BrawlEx, a character cannot have more than 12 costumes.

I hope that this was helpful.

SMR_99

Smash Cadet
How would can I edit the team colors, like if I added costumes to a character how would I make it so the game will have the default red, blue, and green plus the added red, blue, and green.

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I'm not too sure how to do that. I think adding extra team alts would require editing the GCT, which I am not very familiar with. Sorry.

SMR_99

Smash Cadet
No problem, but im confused of why only on classic mode in the css the stocks that I use for ex characters other than Ridley and Waluigi are actually theirs, but during vs mode Waluigis last costume stock shows up instead of the actual one and on the rsp

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
Stock Icons are actually stored in four separate places. You may want to check each to make sure the build has everything accounted for. I know that the default PmEx template is missing some stock icons for Headband Jiggs, Ridley, Dry Bowser and Giga Dry Bowser.

info2/info.pac - Go to MiscData[30]/Textures. These are the stock icons that appear next to your BP during a battle. Each icon will also need its own entry registered in MiscData[30]/AnmTexPat/InfStockface_TopN__0 to appear. If one of these are missing, it will show the wrong stock icon during battle.

menu/common/StockFaceTex.brres - These are the stock icons that appear in Subspace Emissary. Since the likes of Shadow or Waluigi don't appear in the campaign, you don't need to add their stock icons to this. I would add a stock icon if you go about giving costumes to the vanilla cast.

menu2/sc_selcharacter.pac - Go to MiscData[90]/Textures. These are the stock icons that appear in the Classic Mode CSS. If one is missing, the game will hard crash if attempting to choose its costume. You'll want to fill in some missing stock icons from PmEx's costumes here.

stage/melee/STGRESULT.pac
- Go to MiscData[120]/Textures. These are the stock icons that appear in the Results screen. Like info.pac, each icon will also need its own entry registered in MiscData[110]/AnmTexPat/InfStockface_TopN__0 to appear. If one of these are missing, it will show the wrong stock icon during battle.

I'm just regurgitating everything I know here but I hope this clears some things up. Sure, it's tedious but it'll be worth it in the end. :)

SMR_99

Smash Cadet
Dang, I had idea that I had to put them in four places. Really appreciate the help!!!!:)

SMR_99

Smash Cadet
I need help with the MenSelchrMark, it shows up in the CSS and with the BP but whenever a match ends the screen turns black and the game crashes. I went on the STGRESULT.PAC and I couldn't find any Misc Data for MenSelchrMarks. Are they located somewhere else???

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
The RSPs are located in pf/menu/common/char_bust_tex. When a match ends and one of these are missing the game crashes.

SMR_99

Smash Cadet
For some reason when I start playing Project M, everything loads fine until it says NOW LOADING at the bottom right and it shows it for a little bit and then it goes away and the screen is still black and the game doesn't load at all! This never happened before!

SMR_99

Smash Cadet
Also I want to add and rearrange Roy's costumes, I tried to by editing his CSSSLOT but nothing happened bc Costume Manager still showed his old one and then I tried to edit a COSMETIC Slot and give it to Roy but it added random costumes so I put back the original one. Plus Roy's last costume loads up his default and the model is still the one it's supposed to be. And CostumeManager has all of his Models and CSS Stuff mixed up, how do I fix???

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
So I downloaded a Villager character (Male 00 - 05 and Female 06 - 11) over pit and I am still trying to expand the CSSSlotConfig for my BrawlEx character I am using. Any way I can figure out how to make it work?

Top Bottom