• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do all top level players do this?

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Turnaround grab. Not pivot grab, not dash over and grab. Just, literally, turnaround and grab. It's this tiny little detail that you can almost automatically tell that person is a good player. They do this a lot, and I'm seeing a very specific habit in Nairo's matches (with Palutena, at least).

It's just very miniscule, and I wonder why it's a thing only good players do. This goes all the way back to Brawl, even...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's a very tiny optimization, and it's easy to accidentally flick the control stick too hard and do a turn around dash grab instead. While it's not difficult to get the hang of I think most mid level players more concerned with getting general spacing and movement down first. Top players have more time to worry about the little things because their spacing and movement are already phenomenal at the point they're at.

As for the reason why it's optimal, it's because standing grabs tend to be 2-3 few frames faster then a dash grab. It's not a lot but it can occasionally be the difference between land get grab or getting snuff out / spotdodged.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Top players have more time to worry about the little things because their spacing and movement are already phenomenal at the point they're at.
I feel like I move quickly (or just a lot, really), but apparently it's either stiff, or too linear. I take it the best players in the world do about anything they can to dodge attacks, right?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I feel like I move quickly (or just a lot, really), but apparently it's either stiff, or too linear. I take it the best players in the world do about anything they can to dodge attacks, right?
Mastering movement is more about precision then it is about speed. Being able to effectively control your aerial drift and microspace aerials, being able to consistently short hop and fast fall, ect. It takes a lot of practice to get it all down with total consistency.

Top Bottom