• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do all noobs think Kirby is OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Had to be done

I'm proud to be kirby main, its always fun to go against someone who doesn't know the matchup and proceed to wreck them, especially in PM ;)

That made my day though....how do people NOT know how to grab :p
I was playing with my friends in casuals a while ago (I had to go really easy on them cuz i know im way better, but I sware this one girl that I play with is secretly a competitive player and also goes easy on everyone because shes actually decent with MK and can edge cancel the side-b like 100% of the time and combos it into SL but anyway...) and they thought grabbing was cheap, mainly since it could go through sheilds. Its probably the same thing for rock. :/

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I was playing with my friends in casuals a while ago (I had to go really easy on them cuz i know im way better, but I sware this one girl that I play with is secretly a competitive player and also goes easy on everyone because shes actually decent with MK and can edge cancel the side-b like 100% of the time and combos it into SL but anyway...) and they thought grabbing was cheap, mainly since it could go through sheilds. Its probably the same thing for rock. :/
Grabbing is cheap.... Lul.

I'm laughing so hard today... this topic.

Though I love doing that also, usually in BB (RIP, nah jk i'll just get the new server thing, less scrubs will be around) but when i was with scrubs i usually just spam rock, and see what they do, and I just laugh and laugh each time they get hit :p Also like moving back and forth like a knub before the start of a PM match, and they get all surprised when they approach expecting F-smash fishing and suddenly I wavedash and proceed to show what a kirby can do. (footstool to rock is legit tho) dun hate the rock, amirite @downbfordays ? :troll:

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I've noticed this since the release of the game: casual players and noobs think Kirby is the best character in the game by a lot. Why? Because just about everybody I know that isn't on the competitive scene thinks this. One friend of mine even bans Kirby when he plays because he is "too overpowered". The obvious answer to this is that Kirby has the easiest learning curve in the game, and is easy to pick up. The others are that he has spammable smash attacks, a rapid jab combo, and the suck up ability, which is useful when you don't know how to mash out. But seriously, what is up?
Kirby doesn't even have an easy learning curve, it's just that at low level play his stuff seems really good.

Remember, low level play rolls a lot, doesn't tech, doesn't space well, and doesn't shield. They tend to block with attacks, and tend to use B-buttons and C-stick more than the A button because most low level players either can't tell individual A button attacks apart (jab, ftilt, huh? Just mash A), or don't entirely understand the concepts of neutral aerials and tilts.

So most casual players mash the A button, but use the B-button deliberately.

Kirby has an fsmash and dash attack with range (meaning, Kirby fsmash covers rolls and missed techs even if you are poorly spaced). So Kirby constantly can land hits and kills by running and flicking the C-stick.

Kirby has an invincible down-B (remember, casuals use B button moves deliberately), that beats any attacks (remember, other casuals don't shield, they try to block with attacks). So jumping over people and using down-B beats other casual players very hard.

Opposing casuals don't space well, so they aren't able to hit Kirby out of his up-B (which requires good spacing/timing). With five jumps and an up-B, Kirby seems impossible to stop from recovering.

And finally, other casuals don't know they can break out of grabs by mashing, so Kirbycides are guaranteed.

This is why casuals think Kirby is impossibly good.

But why Kirby? I never hear Ike mentioned!
At really low levels of play, people don't realize Ike is good because they have trouble recovering without all of Kirby's jumps, and rely on his B-button moves (which are horrible).

Ike dominates low level competitive play once people realize they can spam his jab and nair. Not casual play, where people usually don't know how to nair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Just stay out of the way of his Down B's path and grab him during the duration where he's stuck in his object state. How vulnerable it makes him. Not to mention the recovery time for it is very punishable.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Eh, I doubt casuals wouldn't be able to explore the buttons and eventually find out a way around it. but, I guess Your Mileage May vary applies for the case of every player.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
They think Kirby is OP because Kirby's metagame is 100% bait and punish, so, since they're predictable, kirby can just toy with them.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I guess they don't know that he can be grabbed during his Down-B? When I was a kid, all my friends tried that down-B spamming crap on me, and I wouldn't have it because I knew I could grab them. They would get sooooo pissed because that was all they could really do, except one friend who learned to Kirbycide in Melee, lol.

Last edited:

DreiMD

Smash Rookie
NNID
dreisha
I'm not quite good enough to play in For Glory mode or anything, but if I ever did I'd probably main him. I used to always spam the **** out of Down B in Brawl and beat level 9s, then proceed to think I was "good" because somehow their algorithms didn't predict it very often. I stopped playing after awhile. I picked the game back up right after Smash 4 was introduced (I was still playing Brawl at that time) and decided to give it another go. I found that smashing down B wasn't as satisfying as it was before, and it felt really mindless. So I decided to start ACTUALLY USING kirby's stubby little arms and legs and put them to the test. I found that there were quite a bit of nice moves, like his forward smash and back air.

When I picked up the wii u version I decided to use all of the moves that didn't leave me open and start to put stuff together. I completely abolished the terrible down b habit and the hammer went away too. I found myself using his dash and forward smash after baiting out a smash attack and punishing it. I would also punish enemies off-stage and in the air because his jumps are incremental and easy to control. Also the up-b helps with edge-guarding to some degree.

I'm still terrible at grabbing...

I cri everytim...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Cuz Kirby flies.

Bloop
Bloop
Bloop

YOU GOT AIDS o3o

Also she can absorb powers.

Last edited:

Rahu700

Smash Rookie
People think Kirby is OP because they don't know you can grab the down b. That's probably the main reason.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
User was warned for this post
I don't think kirbs is op, I released a vid not too long ago of my lm vs a kirby who spammed dodge and grab, I'm still a mac newb too so yeah no kirbs is not op not at allll

EDIT: I am too lazy and tired to find the vid so here is this
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqevokm9tlnQqZ2E8ubQ89w

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I don't think kirbs is op, I released a vid not too long ago of my lm vs a kirby who spammed dodge and grab, I'm still a mac newb too so yeah no kirbs is not op not at allll

EDIT: I am too lazy and tired to find the vid so here is this
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqevokm9tlnQqZ2E8ubQ89w

This? xD

That read at the end was great btw, lol

Although I do think Kirby, at a low level, is one of the easier characters to be 'good' with

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623

This? xD

That read at the end was great btw, lol

Although I do think Kirby, at a low level, is one of the easier characters to be 'good' with

well that depends, like for me I rely on punishes so kirby could be a good option for me if I master baiting, which would open up mewtwo and lucario for me as well. anyway check the other related mac vids of mine to see why I even picked him up(look for ike vs mac)

Warrior NG

Smash Cadet
Just overall noobs really don't understand the game at all. I was playing Melee with someone on my floor in college and we were talking about the different characters and he said that fox is terrible in Melee.
This guy must have never seen a tournament of Melee.

Zargasaurus

Smash Apprentice
Grabbing is cheap.... Lul.

I'm laughing so hard today... this topic.

Though I love doing that also, usually in BB (RIP, nah jk i'll just get the new server thing, less scrubs will be around) but when i was with scrubs i usually just spam rock, and see what they do, and I just laugh and laugh each time they get hit :p Also like moving back and forth like a knub before the start of a PM match, and they get all surprised when they approach expecting F-smash fishing and suddenly I wavedash and proceed to show what a kirby can do. (footstool to rock is legit tho) dun hate the rock, amirite @downbfordays ? :troll:
That last part made me laugh so hard lol IDK why, love this post XD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom