• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do all noobs think Kirby is OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
I've noticed this since the release of the game: casual players and noobs think Kirby is the best character in the game by a lot. Why? Because just about everybody I know that isn't on the competitive scene thinks this. One friend of mine even bans Kirby when he plays because he is "too overpowered". The obvious answer to this is that Kirby has the easiest learning curve in the game, and is easy to pick up. The others are that he has spammable smash attacks, a rapid jab combo, and the suck up ability, which is useful when you don't know how to mash out. But seriously, what is up?

You should probably speak to those people directly lol Generally, its just the lack of exposure to how to deal with things properly. My limited exposure has told me that some people find Pikachu's thunderjolt and thunder to be difficult to counter. After awhile you just avoid pikahcu's thunder except when put into poor situations. Like trying to momentum cancel to survive another attack. After that you sort of pick up on other strategies that were probably not super obvious to pull off at first. Like you just PS pikachu's thunderjolt. Unless pikachu does an aerial one, you have an advantage against any grounded pikachu thunderjolt.

Plus, people need to see other more stupid characters. I think that once you get the basics of smash out of the way Ike and DDD are the quickest characters to pick-up on. You get huge rewards off grabs with DDD and need relatively few moves to oust another person of lesser ability. Ike is similar in the regard with that you have some very powerful regular moves and the rest are not the greatest. So, other characters like Snake might have multiple things to consider when grounded. Do I ftilt, utilt, jab, grab, nades, walk, dash, etc. Ike can easily consider a few of these, but for most situations you wouldn't really consider Ftilt to be a superior option against say Jab or grab.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
They also say that rock is an OP move, which it is if you don't know how to dodge/block and punish it. Kirby has lots of reasons for meeting the "easy noob character" role perfectly, but there is literally a consensus on Kirby in particular, and what I really wanted to know was what makes him special?

danschemen

Smash Rookie
Just overall noobs really don't understand the game at all. I was playing Melee with someone on my floor in college and we were talking about the different characters and he said that fox is terrible in Melee.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
But why Kirby? I never hear Ike mentioned!

Probably just your region. As I said, if you never play another character often you never get the right amount of time to develop hatred for it :p Maybe everyone is playing Kirby or had bad experience online or something lol Most likely all relative to the people involved that happen to culminate about Kirby.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Well when I say noobs, I mean never use their air attacks, never sheild or spot dodge, spam jabs and projectiles (without even jumping around) and spam smash attacks. Can't beat 6 CPUs. I just don't get it. Thanks tho

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I've noticed this since the release of the game: casual players and noobs think Kirby is the best character in the game by a lot. Why? Because just about everybody I know that isn't on the competitive scene thinks this. One friend of mine even bans Kirby when he plays because he is "too overpowered". The obvious answer to this is that Kirby has the easiest learning curve in the game, and is easy to pick up. The others are that he has spammable smash attacks, a rapid jab combo, and the suck up ability, which is useful when you don't know how to mash out. But seriously, what is up?
Easy, Kirby is OP

jk

------------------------------------------------

Just as people has said above me, its just that there isnt much exposure. Being a Kirby main myself, he isnt really that good at all, hes like low mid imo. I know a lot of noobs think Ike is better than Pit because Ike's F-smash is better than Pit's Angel Ring. Back when I was a noob, in the melee days, I use to think DK was the best in the game since he had Down-B, powerful smashes, and could carry people offstage. (Which in my opinion is a lot better of an explanation than what i hear now a days now that I think about it.) Im sure everyone thinks one thing about something, but those who "study" that area know that you could be completely wrong.

boyblunder

Smash Rookie
Kirby is extremely easy to use, he has excellent recovery and a wide arsenal of spammable moves. His rock form is indestructible and can be subbed as a smash attack, and his up special can be used against other new players close and far ranged alike.

Plus people think his shapeshifting power is just cool.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Kirby is OP

Canonically that is. :troll:
anyway

at least in smash 64 there's those up-tilts.

in Melee? Lol no.

In brawl, about low mid.

I haven't once heard a noob say Kirby is OP, mostly they say Kirby has annoying moves, Like pit.

This thread should have it changed to Ike, Ike is what noobs say is OP. Not kirby.

This topic bothered me alot since everyone assumes kirby mains are casual/noobs.

Last edited:

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Never once offline have I heard that Ike is OP. Pit, well I do get that, but not as much as Kirby. When I say noob, I mean people that haven't read the instruction manual. They don't know how to spot dodge or air dodge. They rarely grab or shield. They never use their air attacks. In fact, the only moves they really use are jab, ftilt, and dash attach, in addition to specials. I mean like mega noobs.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Haha, I hear this from noobs a lot too. Often they say stone is OP, because they don't know what grab is so when playing each other they think stone is invincible.

Jecux

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised that I am not the only one who has confronted a situation like this. We got Wii to our school last year and one student brought his Brawl there for everyone to play it. A week or two passed and Kirby got banned for being OP. The owner of the game claimed that Kirby's recovery is way too good and his Side-B has overwhelming knockback for so small character. Stone was also criticized because "there is no proper way to punish Stone". He even claimed that Stone's FORM has something to do with its knockback, if I remember right that weight is the most powerful. Inhale was OP too because its ability to carry foes off-stage to the point where they cannot recover back to safety. My conclusion is that beginners just don't know how to deal with those moves which have the most knockback and therefore naming it OP.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I was making a "noob" tier list just for the lulz. I put Ike, Kirby, Pika, Toon Link, and Pit as top 5... everyone agree? (Kappa)

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I was making a "noob" tier list just for the lulz. I put Ike, Kirby, Pika, Toon Link, and Pit as top 5... everyone agree? (Kappa)
YES. This is perfect. Ike for Fsmash spam, Kirby for stone and Up B spam, Pika for thunder spam, toon link for Dair spam, and Pit for side B spam. Seems legit to me.

Last edited:

Jecux

Smash Cadet
Put Toon Link to his deserved S-tier and that tier list is ready to go. Dat dair

mimgrim

Smash Hero
MK should get in over one of those characters.

He is the only character that both "noobs" and the competitive community think is OP.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
MK should get in over one of those characters.

He is the only character that both "noobs" and the competitive community think is OP.
I like how you used the word "think" there. He IS OP. MK destroyed any chance of brawl being hype to watch on stream. Project M saved the game from MK spam.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I laughed.
Ok, maybe what he said was a bit extreme, but most would agree that Meta Knight was unhealthy for Brawl's metagame. The plethora of MKs in tournaments took away some of the game's uniqueness. Honestly, It's beyond me why he wasn't officially banned years ago.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok, maybe what he said was a bit extreme, but most would agree that Meta Knight was unhealthy for Brawl's metagame. The plethora of MKs in tournaments took away some of the game's uniqueness. Honestly, It's beyond me why he wasn't officially banned years ago.
He was banned, officially.

It just never stuck.

Thor

Smash Champion
I've heard people say Ike is OP, Pit is OP, and Kirby is OP. Some know that MK is banned, but some that know this don't understand why.

If you teach your friend group to airdodge, shield, spotdodge, and grab, rock won't be OP, because they can avoid rock and punish it.

If you want them to unban Kirby, just ask one of them to play you and play your best character, doing your best to destroy them. If they all see you easily wreck Kirby (and tell them you won't play Kirby), they'll probably unban him.

n00bs say Kirby's OP because Kirby has a powerful smash attack in fsmash that doesn't leave tons of vulnerability (yes it's punishable but you don't have forever, unlike if you powershield Ike fsmash or something). His rolling is also not bad (I don't know if it's good per se...) so rolling plus fast smash with high knockback scaling = dangerous. He has 5 jumps and can steal powers which many think is way too good (Pit arrow problems? steal them).

Pit is also (among n00bs) widely considered OP because he has arrows, his angel ring, and his shield reflects stuff, while his recovery goes forever (a lot of n00bs don't get the concept of gimping, which makes his recovery more or less the best, next to Snake and an MK that doesn't SD, and of course Kirby). His aerials are all not that slow for new players, and fair's knockback is okay. He also has a dash attack with decent knockback scaling. His fsmash does a lot of damage and is fast. His dsmash is fast, as is his usmash.

Ike is considered (among n00bs) OP as well because [as one n00b put it] "a ******** monkey could win at Smash by pressing A and choosing three letters - I, K, and E." His jab combo is really good (one of the few things n00bs get right, although they then overestimate its effectiveness), and since n00bs aren't necessarily good at aerials or smashes/tilts (unless they have cstick), Ike has a really good attack. Given the lack of shielding and dodging from n00bs, and Ike's wide attack area on fsmash and usmash, his attacks are hard to avoid for them, so he hits hard and in a large area. His recovery isn't great, but for n00bs who sort of know how to gimp, Ike is still mostly ungimpable.

I haven't run into many "Pika OP" people, but n00bs just say he has a "spammy" moveset, namely t-jolt and Thunder2, as mentioned above. n00bs also think his dsmash is way too good because they don't understand SDI.

I ran into one GnW and ROB OP n00b because cstick down and dtilt (and projectiles + side+B for ROB). I think this is the exception, not the norm though.

No real experience with TL OP n00bs, although dair and his fsmash are a lot of damage and hard to dodge/punish for n00bs.

[I used to be called a spammer quite frequently, but as I like to point out, if you could use one of your moves and get hit, or use a move and hit them, is it spamming if you use it? No? Okay, if you could use one of your moves and get hit, or use the same move you just used and hit them, is it spamming if you use it? No? Okay, Okay, if you could use one of your moves and get hit, or use the same move you just used and hit them, is it spamming if you use it? No? Okay, if you could use one of your moves and get hit, or use the same move you just used and hit them, is it spamming if you use it? No? Okay... (it repeats until they realize my point or set an arbitrary cap, at which I point out the arbitrary cap, and if it's not retracted I just laugh at them.)]

Most who don't get why MK was banned think his knockback is way too low (they don't get the idea of racking damage and stale moves), and they think he's easy to SD with (because most will Mach Tornado offstage or Drill Rush or Shuttle Loop at a bad time). They also think he's too light (though this never comes up with Kirby...).

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I've heard people say Ike is OP, Pit is OP, and Kirby is OP. Some know that MK is banned, but some that know this don't understand why.

If you teach your friend group to airdodge, shield, spotdodge, and grab, rock won't be OP, because they can avoid rock and punish it.

If you want them to unban Kirby, just ask one of them to play you and play your best character, doing your best to destroy them. If they all see you easily wreck Kirby (and tell them you won't play Kirby), they'll probably unban him.

n00bs say Kirby's OP because Kirby has a powerful smash attack in fsmash that doesn't leave tons of vulnerability (yes it's punishable but you don't have forever, unlike if you powershield Ike fsmash or something). His rolling is also not bad (I don't know if it's good per se...) so rolling plus fast smash with high knockback scaling = dangerous. He has 5 jumps and can steal powers which many think is way too good (Pit arrow problems? steal them).

Pit is also (among n00bs) widely considered OP because he has arrows, his angel ring, and his shield reflects stuff, while his recovery goes forever (a lot of n00bs don't get the concept of gimping, which makes his recovery more or less the best, next to Snake and an MK that doesn't SD, and of course Kirby). His aerials are all not that slow for new players, and fair's knockback is okay. He also has a dash attack with decent knockback scaling. His fsmash does a lot of damage and is fast. His dsmash is fast, as is his usmash.

Ike is considered (among n00bs) OP as well because [as one n00b put it] "a ******** monkey could win at Smash by pressing A and choosing three letters - I, K, and E." His jab combo is really good (one of the few things n00bs get right, although they then overestimate its effectiveness), and since n00bs aren't necessarily good at aerials or smashes/tilts (unless they have cstick), Ike has a really good attack. Given the lack of shielding and dodging from n00bs, and Ike's wide attack area on fsmash and usmash, his attacks are hard to avoid for them, so he hits hard and in a large area. His recovery isn't great, but for n00bs who sort of know how to gimp, Ike is still mostly ungimpable.

I haven't run into many "Pika OP" people, but n00bs just say he has a "spammy" moveset, namely t-jolt and Thunder2, as mentioned above. n00bs also think his dsmash is way too good because they don't understand SDI.

I ran into one GnW and ROB OP n00b because cstick down and dtilt (and projectiles + side+B for ROB). I think this is the exception, not the norm though.

No real experience with TL OP n00bs, although dair and his fsmash are a lot of damage and hard to dodge/punish for n00bs.

[I used to be called a spammer quite frequently, but as I like to point out, if you could use one of your moves and get hit, or use a move and hit them, is it spamming if you use it? No? Okay, if you could use one of your moves and get hit, or use the same move you just used and hit them, is it spamming if you use it? No? Okay, Okay, if you could use one of your moves and get hit, or use the same move you just used and hit them, is it spamming if you use it? No? Okay, if you could use one of your moves and get hit, or use the same move you just used and hit them, is it spamming if you use it? No? Okay... (it repeats until they realize my point or set an arbitrary cap, at which I just laugh at them.]

Most who don't get why MK was banned think his knockback is way too low (they don't get the idea of racking damage and stale moves), and they think he's easy to SD with (because most will Mach Tornado offstage or Drill Rush or Shuttle Loop at a bad time). They also think he's too light (though this never comes up with Kirby...).
You're right about Pit. I remember one of my old friends said "I can beat anyone on FD as Pit". I played him. Lo and behold, he spammed side B, and I easily 3 stocked him. It was satisfying.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Just a tidbit here that may help out discourse a little but.
Discuss the design flaws of characters like Ike, Kirby, Game & Watch that impose mechanics which are not easy to understand or easy to be abused against weaker players.
Rather than using the loaded and subjective term "OP".

Things such as reaction speed or slightly slower long range kill moves, invincibility, hidden disjointed hitboxes.
With that type of framework you can identify what some people are complaining about and also suggest why those mechanics are not "overpowered" at higher levels of play. If you're really feeling enthusiastic you could even thought experiment how you would alter those characters to be less toxic without making them weaker competitively.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Then Shaya had to go ruin our fun... just kidding. OP is a term they use - we here don't view them as OP [obviously, with the exception of some saying MK is OP], but I do see your point (I was merely reiterating points I've heard and also what I see them struggle with, using their terminology).

Kirby has an attack with lag less than what new players punish, but what good players will be able to punish. He also has invincibility whenever he wants because newer players don't know how/see the value of grabbing.

Ike has high knockback attacks with long range, again that newer players, not used to shielding/dodging, struggle to dodge. His recovery is also not easy to gimp for newer players, given how it places hitboxes. His long lag means that better players who dodge don't have to weave in and out, but can store strong hits on an Ike in lag, while new players who just finished running away now have to turn and run back in, but since many newer players attack relentlessly, and they also don't dodge or shield much if at all, this is a dangerous proposition, so that Ike seems very strong.

I'm pretty sure I'm not doing all of what Shaya suggested, and I only discussed two characters, but I have dinner, so someone else can pick up from here.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
To hear this sentence make me remembing funny things. My friend tough Pit was OP because he was able to fly for so long, Ike because noobs have no fast reaction and lack of precision so they was better with slow/strong/long range character. But the worse is my friends at my school (today) that thing Marth is OP because of his EASY METEOR DOWN SMASH. I did it 3 times (3 stock) in our first match to the 2nd best player at my school but unlike other noob, he learns and anticipate, I almost never sucesfully place a meteor after this match.

Last edited:

Jecux

Smash Cadet
To hear this sentence make me remembing funny things. My friend tough Pit was OP because he was able to fly for so long, Ike because noobs have no fast reaction and lack of precision so they was better with slow/strong/long range character. But the worse is my friends at my school (today) that thing Marth is OP because of his EASY METEOR DOWN SMASH. I did it 3 times (3 stock) in our first match to the 2nd best player at my school but unlike other noob, he learns and anticipate, I almost never sucesfully place a meteor after this match.
Imagine that havoc what Ganon's stomp caused in our school when I learned to use it off-stage, my opponents were launched to their doom when their percents were approximately 20%. There is one player in our school who uses Marth and he has never hit me with his spike, I guess he needs more practice with it.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
In my gaming venue lower skilled players think that Meta Knight, Zelda, Ike, Pikachu, and Kirby are "OP".

1) Meta Knight has been described to me as being "OP" due to his Mach Tornado. This is a pretty difficult attack for a newer player to deal with. Most of them have learned to hold shield to defend themselves from attacks, but the multiple hits from the Mach Tornado rips through their defences and bops them into the air.
Thankfully the only MK players at my venue are other lower skilled players so this isn't too bad. I've shown players that they can just move out of the way of the tornado or attack its center from above. Not everyone is able to do this, but it has helped out a few players.

If I were to change this move myself I would add a bit more ending recovery lag to the attack to make it easier to punish if it doesn't connect. That would easily stop newer Meta Knights from spamming the move as much. And well MK is actually top tier so a nerf to his neutral special won't make me lose any sleep at night.

2) Zelda is apparently "OP" because of her Din's Fire and her up smash. From their perspective Din's Fire is a fast moving projectile that can track them upwards or downwards. I think these lower skilled players focus too much on their own character and not enough to what's happening throughout the screen. Zelda's up smash is also notorious for pulling characters in as it connects and besting aerial attacks.
A lot of this is my own fault as I'm the only Zelda player at my venue. For Din's Fire I like to point out that the attack is easily shielded and that Zelda has quite a bit of ending lag which allows them to approach closer to her after blocking her spell. Once they are close enough to Zelda I say that they should always attack her if she is using Din's Fire. The move is really slow and if you hit Zelda while she's casting the spell it nullifies the fireball so even if it explodes the thing won't deal any damage. This has helped out a few players, but some still struggle to shield at the right moment.

As for Zelda's up smash I simply tell players to stop trying to attack her from above. I suggest keeping a small amount of distance from Zelda and attacking with projectiles or far reaching attacks. This has yet to help any new player as they usually can't stop themselves from dash attacking.

This isn't really too big of a problem. There was actually an event just the other day and a new Zelda player showed up. My players were able to destroy this Zelda as she relied way too heavily on her Din's Fire and rarely up smashed at all. So I think my advice is helping overall. Hopefully Zelda will get tons of buffs in Smash 4 and I'll just have to remind people that blocking is useful.

3) Ike is usually the best character in the game according to newer players. They are not wrong in saying he has some of the hardest hitting smash attacks in the game. His ability to KO at low percents and far reaching attacks make him look "god-like" to lower-skilled players.

My general advice to players up against a smash-spamming Ike is to block. All of Ike's smash attacks have tons of recovery lag after their execution which gives ample time for punishing after a successful block. Again this has helped out a lot and Ike is starting to see less use at my venue.

I wouldn't suggest for Ike to be changed in anyway. Perhaps giving him super armor would be a nice touch, but I guess we have Little Mac for that. Oh wait... I'm supposed to be suggesting changes to make things easier for newer players. Uh... I don't really think changes could be made that wouldn't just nerf the character. I think the only thing that can be done is to teach newer players what Ike's short comings are.

4) Pikachu is considered "OP" now and then depending on who's behind the controller. A lot of newer players have a lot of trouble using his up special and thus can't recover when knocked off of the stage. However, players that find powerful smash attacks difficult to execute on their wiimotes seem to have no trouble using the 'all-powerful' Thunder.

I find a lot of newer players are completely unaware that smash attacks and tilts are two different things. These players usually choose one button to attack with (either normal or special) and spam that button while pressing random directions (usually left or right which they are using to approach). A smash attack is executed by pressing a direction and and the attack button at the SAME time. Even after explaining and demonstrating this to some lower skilled players they find smash attacks too difficult to use. Pikachu's Thunder, on the other hand, just requires you to hold down a direction and press the special button in combination. This is much easier to execute than a smash attack for these players and thus is usually the most powerful attack in their arsenal.
Other players of the same skill level who do not use Pikachu are still restricted to their own special moves, jabs, dash attack, and side tilt. So by comparison none of their attacks are anywhere near the level of Pikachu's strength. To further compound this problem these players don't know what aerial dodging is or find it very difficult to pull off at the right time. Blocking only requires a player to hold down a button, but aerial dodging effectively requires that button to be timed alongside the attack they want to dodge. So for a lot of newer players Pikachu's down+special feels like an unescapable, overpowered attack.

The advice I usually give to these players is to always aerial dodge if Pikachu is under them. If Pikachu is under you then the forecast is predicting thunder. At first this helped players to sometimes dodge the occasional thunder bolt, but with time a lot of my newer players have gotten a better grasp on the timing needed to dodge it. It's always nice to see new players becoming better at the game.

Smash Wii U/3DS is already fixing the problem. Pikachu's Thunder will now be a meteor smash instead of a normal knock back attack. I feel this will tremendously lower the amount of unskilled Pikachus attempting to spam this move for free KOs. And at the same time I don't feel this a true nerf to Pikachu in competitive play.

5) Kirby is easily the most played character at my venue and is also seen as the most overpowered. The main reason being that his rock is too powerful.

The rock being too powerful is very similar to Pikachu's Thunder. A lot of low-skilled players don't even know how to execute smash attacks, so Kirby's down+special is an incredibly powerful move by comparison to what they can normally pull off. Also the rock itself can't be attacked, and as other players have pointed out, these new players don't know how to grab. For the wiimote users they either have to hold B and press 2 or they have to press Minus.
As I've pointed out before button combinations are difficult for new players. The minus button is also in the middle of the controller and requires the user to move their thumb away from their two main attack buttons in order to use it. So grabbing is not something you see a lot of in lower level play.

My advice for the rock is the same as Pikachu's Thunder. I tell people that if Kirby is above them then its going to rain rocks. And of course the only solution is more shielding. By continually nagging players about Kirbys up in the air I've managed to get them to block more often. But the thing is low level play tends to be four player free-for-alls. So of course its more difficult to notice Kirby in the air with all sorts of things going on the screen at the same time. Nonetheless, my advice stays the same. And just like Pikachu, I have more people shielding this 'powerful' attack.

Kirby is a pretty popular character because he is easier to recover with due to how many jumps he has. But again I don't really think Kirby needs any nerfs. I feel having higher-skilled players that have patience, good teaching skills, and solid communication is all that is needed to help level the playing field.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Probably because of wifi. His fsmash has just enough startup lag to be delegated to a punish-only move offline, but wifi-induced lag hinders their reaction time in detecting its startup

I'm a kirby player who started using wifi once and could not believe the kind of disgusting BS I could do with that character that would never work offline. Dtilt to fsmash is basically guaranteed on wifi

Last edited:

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Kirby is extremely easy to use, he has excellent recovery and a wide arsenal of spammable moves. His rock form is indestructible and can be subbed as a smash attack, and his up special can be used against other new players close and far ranged alike.

Plus people think his shapeshifting power is just cool.
What this gentleman said. Kirby is forgiving which is the most attractive thing about this character for new players. I think we've all witnessed people play smash for the very first time and all they do is jump outside and die. They know how to jump but not how to UP-B, thus Kirby becomes fun to play due to his many jumps.

Reason number two is because of his Side-B. The Hammer. Easy to use, quite good reach, and a lot of knockback. The difference between Kirby and Meta-Knight (as an example) is that Meta-Knight still needs a player that knows the game decently well to KO anyone. You can't KO with MK's Fair, or his F-tilt and a new player will most likely SD with MK's specials (since they are all recoveries). Same thing goes for D3. His neutral B can KO, but no new player knows how to use neutrals. Due to their inexperience with the controls they only do tilts and side specials.

Kirby fits like a glove on a hand for a new player.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Never once offline have I heard that Ike is OP. Pit, well I do get that, but not as much as Kirby. When I say noob, I mean people that haven't read the instruction manual. They don't know how to spot dodge or air dodge. They rarely grab or shield. They never use their air attacks. In fact, the only moves they really use are jab, ftilt, and dash attach, in addition to specials. I mean like mega noobs.
If they don't spotdodge or airdodge or shield, they probably do best with Kirby because he's a small target. They don't use defensive options, so Kirby's natural constant defense of a small hurtbox benefits them a lot more.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Good point. But there must be more to it.

whoknowswhat

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1864-9884-2286
I've recently had a small Smash Tourney at the local card shop I visit. It was all scrubs except for the other two people I know that play competitively. Honestly, I think it's just because "they're bad". It's as simple as that. They don't block, the ones that think they know what they're doing just roll around everywhere, they don't know how to adapt to different characters, playstyles, and stages, and they just try to wail on each other with no thought.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I'm surprised that I am not the only one who has confronted a situation like this. We got Wii to our school last year and one student brought his Brawl there for everyone to play it. A week or two passed and Kirby got banned for being OP. The owner of the game claimed that Kirby's recovery is way too good and his Side-B has overwhelming knockback for so small character. Stone was also criticized because "there is no proper way to punish Stone". He even claimed that Stone's FORM has something to do with its knockback, if I remember right that weight is the most powerful. Inhale was OP too because its ability to carry foes off-stage to the point where they cannot recover back to safety. My conclusion is that beginners just don't know how to deal with those moves which have the most knockback and therefore naming it OP.
Had to be done

I'm proud to be kirby main, its always fun to go against someone who doesn't know the matchup and proceed to wreck them, especially in PM ;)

That made my day though....how do people NOT know how to grab :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom