• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you main Pac-Man?

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Obviously we all have our own stories and reasons for maining Pac. Mine is probably a little less emotional and or historical than what I am sure you guys will give me.

Having never taken Smash seriously (I was an item player :p) until about 2 years ago when my friend and I used to 1v1 on Melee for hours on end and of course, not having a serious main I needed to find one. That main turned out to be Mr. Game and Watch. His moveset was so unique, funny to watch and of course, most importantly, just plain fun to play as. Everything about him I loved and when I moved on to Project: M, I again chose to main my little two-dimensional champion. Of course, I was also keen for SSB4 and had been keenly watching all the newcomer videos. Just before the game hit Japan, I decided to rewatch all the trailers to see if I could pick out a new main as I wanted Smash 4 to feel fresh. I was hype for Robin having played Awakening, but it wasn't him that caught my eye. It was Pac. For exactly the same reasons G&W had caught my eye in Melee, Pac had captured my heart in his trailer. His constant smile, his unique and fun looking moveset, his amazing down-taunt, it looked like the perfect new main to me. When I finally got my hands on the game and tried Pac out, it was like I had always been meant to main him. He was fun and I felt amazing playing him, far above how well I feel when I play other characters. Three months down the line and Pac has the hi-score for classic mode (only character I have completed 9.0 with) and Smash-Run, plus a 70% win record online with him and hours and hours poured into the various modes playing as him, I am so stoked to have picked up this character.

So… What is everyone else's story? Why do you main Pac?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I've always had a soft spot for Pac-Man, the original arcade game is a timeless classic, and World 2, from the time I rented it, was really fun (I should try and hunt down a copy of that). I also really love him from a design stand point, he has a simple, cartoony feel to him that I just love. The Ghostly Adventures look grew on me, but seeing classic Pac-Man back in action, just reminded me how much better that design is. I fully supported him as a playable character due to the short time I had with World 2, and while he doesn't have any moves from that game, I love his moveset. He's a quirky and fun character to play, I knew from the moment I played as him, he would be one of my mains.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
My reason is pretty much the same as Maribro's there, except with the added mention of always being drawn to ridiculous characters (one of the big reasons behind supporting Chorus Kids, actually). Pac-Man, DeDeDe with his lazing about crouch and amazing expressions, and G/W are pretty much the grand trio of silly in this game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Let me repost something from the old Rate Their Chances thread.

Let me tell you a little story about a boy named James.

When James was an itty-bitty boy of five or six, he was introduced to this mystical contraption called a computer that he had no idea how to use. It bored him at first, since he only really saw boring adult stuff being done on it, but his father, being a man who loved computers and knew practically everything to know about them, wanted to teach his son what he knew about computers. Being a little boy, though, James wasn't interested in being taught how to use a "word", as he felt his vocabulary was more than adequate, and he felt a little sorry for the explorer who got himself stuck inside a net, but failed to understand what he had to do with computers. So he made the offhand comment of wanting to go and play and his father explained to him that this miraculous thing was something to be played with. He was, of course, very confused, but he trusted that his father wasn't a lunatic and that it really could play with him...despite not being able to move. So James waited as patiently as he knew how and eagerly watched his father as he brought down a folder with a bunch of silly looking circles with holes in the center. James assumed these to be treats for the computer that would get it to do tricks or something. (An assumption that seemed more than reasonable when the machine stuck out its tongue and took the treat into its mouth.)

James' father, being a fair bit more understanding of what he was doing, was looking for a game that would entertain our young James. It had to be nonviolent, fairly simple, and still appealing for little James. Pinball would've worked...but it wasn't quite colorful enough to appeal to such a young boy...Golf was definitely out of the question...maybe...no, not that...Then he found it! Should've been perfectly obvious to him, he thought to himself as he put it in.

James' attention was pulled to the start-up screen that he saw which he, despite being unable to read, found interesting because of a certain yellow, happy-faced ball-guy that greeted him and his father with a wink and a thumb's up, seemingly telling them that playtime was beginning. The game started up and James watched, confused, as some odd circles and a person made out of string showed up. His father explained that it was an intro like you'd see on a TV show and that the real thing was starting up. James' attention snapped completely to the oddly-shaped spinning rock that he saw. It looked sort of like something he knew by the name of Saturn, but it looked like a chunk was taken out of the side for some reason. The screen flashed to two brightly-colored ghosts of blue and orange traversing a not-so-brightly-colored landscape. The orange one stops and looks around before having the blue ghost run into him clumsily (James noted that they made a funny clunk-y sound when they bumped into one-another). The screen turned to match the vision of the ghosts and zoomed in. Menacing eyes appeared and the screen showed a close up of an unpleasant-looking creature speaking some evil sounding language. The orange ghost pulled a pretty golden ball out of a brown bag and turned to give it to the creature. He shook as the thing's claws took the artifact from him. The monster looked serious as he said a few more words before closing his hand around the ball. He lifted it up and smashed the golden sphere into the ground, creating a flash.

The screen then changes to look at a sleeping image of the happy yellow ball-guy that he saw before. He snores. Again. Then a light flashed on and off on a television behind him and a sound vaguely like a telephone went off...the ball-guy turned as the sound got faster and faster and the screen of the television blinked on. A similar looking yellow ball-guy with a gray mustache and a funky black hat appeared, seeming flustered. He talked in gibberish but it was obvious that he was upset. The original yellow ball-guy gets up urgently, tightens his orange gloves, and poses toward the screen, ready to take on this obvious predicament.

This game, Pac-Man: Adventures in Time, became one of his, or, rather, my favorites. I asked my parents to buy more Pac-Man games for me and we ended up getting Pac-Man All-Stars and Ms. Pac-Man and the Golden Maze, which became a few of my other favorites. (We also branched out to other classic Namco games, including Dig-Dug and Mappy, to name a few. I was introduced to the original that way and I was terrible at it, but still enjoyed it immensely.) The prized jewel of the games we got, however, was Pac-Man World 2, a game that holds the title of my favorite game of all time even now.

Pac-Man, of course, became an absolute obsession of mine. I bought every piece of smiley face merchandise I could get a hold of since they were the closest thing to Pac-Man merchandise I could find (and they were cute and happy in their own right as well, of course). We even bought the (looking back on it, terrible) Hanna Barbara Pac-Man TV Show and I watched every episode way too many times.

Of course, life went on and James grew up and situations changed. We had to move to the mountains (right after we painted Pac-Man and the Ghosts on my bedroom walls, I might add *grumblegrumble*) and I had to find a new school and new friends and all that. But I still had Pac-Man, so I was still happy and not everything was strange and unusual. And, of course, once I got used to that, my parents divorced and made my life especially difficult...but I still had my Pac-Pillow to rest my head on and my Pac-Man plushie to hold as I slept, so it wasn't so bad in the end.

I have changed, my life has changed, my situations have changed...and I don't deal well with change. I like consistency. Always have. So, in order to survive the inconsistency that I had to deal with, I latched on to one thing in my life that I had control of and never let it go. I made sure I had one thing in life that would always be there. I made sure that I always had something to go to when I needed to escape from the relentlessly changing world. That thing was Pac-Man. I was always going to have him and no one was going to take him away from me. Ever.

So, yeah. You could say that I have a personal connection with Pac-Man and that Pac-Man and I have quite the history together. He's been with me for over two-thirds of my life, after all. I've come to cherish and adore him.

...But it's actually a little more than that too. You see, I was introduced to Super Smash Bros. Melee when I was little as well. It wasn't even close to as early as Pac-Man, but I had played Super Smash Bros. Melee for the first time when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I ended up loving it so much that I got a Gamecube for Christmas the next year with it, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and...Pokemon Channel (which did not compare to those two masterpieces). This was the same time my brother was getting into Pokemon on the DS and I eventually ended up getting one of them so I could play with Pokemon too.

Before long, I was completely and utterly enamored with the worlds of Nintendo.

The chance to have these two incredibly influential series unite with Pac-Man's playable status in the Super Smash Bros. series would be a literal dream come true. This has been a lifelong dream that I never dared hope for...until now.​

You can imagine how ecstatic I was to hear of Pac-Man's playability. There was no way I was maining anyone else with him in the game.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Wow dude, great story! I can imagine how happy you would have been to find out he was playable, you clearly have a strong bond with the character. Definitely makes me feel like I should try and play some of these games given how many people I have seen in the Pac forum rave about Pac World 2.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Wow dude, great story! I can imagine how happy you would have been to find out he was playable, you clearly have a strong bond with the character. Definitely makes me feel like I should try and play some of these games given how many people I have seen in the Pac forum rave about Pac World 2.
YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED PAC-MAN WORLD 2?!?

GO BUY IT RIGHT THIS SECOND! IT IS THE EPITOME OF 3D PAC-MAN GAMES.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace

I am gonna be honest here… I have never played a Pac game besides the arcade one… But now I am willing to change that!

…Except my Wii has died… and my Gamecubes have been dead a long time. So I need to save up to replace one or the other and then I will play this game.

I kinda feel like I am dishonouring the character without playing it tbh, it feels like I need to to continue maining him :p

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I am gonna be honest here… I have never played a Pac game besides the arcade one… But now I am willing to change that!

…Except my Wii has died… and my Gamecubes have been dead a long time. So I need to save up to replace one or the other and then I will play this game.

I kinda feel like I am dishonouring the character without playing it tbh, it feels like I need to to continue maining him :p
If you have a PS2 or an XBox, it was released for those systems as well.

If push comes to shove, there's a version for computer as well, but I think the game's a lot better with a controller over a keyboard.

Also, consider trying Pac-Man Adventures in Time and Pac-Man World 3. AiT is a traditional Pac-Man game with his World look and arguably the best Pac-Man character and emotion-wise, and World 3 is a good game that's just a little lackluster when compared to World 2. Pac-Man also has a voice actor, which might take a little getting used to.

Last edited:

MSDChaos

Smash Rookie
Ever since I first saw gameplay of him I thought "I want to play Pac-Man." Something about his style looked very fun to play.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
If you have a PS2 or an XBox, it was released for those systems as well.

If push comes to shove, there's a version for computer as well, but I think the game's a lot better with a controller over a keyboard.

Also, consider trying Pac-Man Adventures in Time and Pac-Man World 3. AiT is a traditional Pac-Man game with his World look and arguably the best Pac-Man character and emotion-wise, and World 3 is a good game that's just a little lackluster when compared to World 2. Pac-Man also has a voice actor, which might take a little getting used to.
I need a Gamecube/Wii anyway so I will just buy one of the two.

What console is Adventures in Time? I will definitely try and give these all a shot, try and understand the character more :).

BSP

Smash Legend
I would say I co-main him with Mario, but that still counts in my book so:

I play him because not only is he fun to play as, but he has loads of potential that I think lots of people are sleeping on. I want people to see him as the high tier character that he is.

Oh, and because he smiles all the time. He embodies what you should be thinking when you play smash: Even when bad things happen, like you getting KO'd, hit, burned, sent to the front of the screen, etc., you should always come back smiling. :)

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Initially, it's because I'm a hipster and I'm drawn to underused/unpopular character. And some people I know really hate Pac-Man, so that just added fuel to the fire.

When I started playing with him, it was mostly with custom moves. Something about them just... clicked with me. I didn't like his default moveset much until I played on For Glory (yes, I know how wrong that sounds). It was around this time that I stopped playing Mega Man (not because I dislike him; but because people feel drained fighting me) so I figured Pac-Man would be good substitute.

Lots of friendly matches and two "tournaments" later, he's a solid character. Of course, I liked the Pac-Man games (especially World) but that's not too much of a deciding factor for me.

Aflay

Smash Rookie
I don't play Smash 4 yet. No Wii U or 3DS, nothin. I do, however, watch Smash 4 gameplay on a regular basis, and my friend is going to have the money to buy it soon, which is great, because we play Smash all the time already.

At first I was sort of indecisive. I saw every other character's reveal trailor, and thought they were all cool. When I heard that Pac-Man would be revealed, I didn't hold my breath, because I didn't know if he would really be released, or if he would even be that good.

I'm not exactly an old fashioned guy, but I've played a lot of games, on all consoles, of all genres. When I saw the reveal trailor of Pac-Man, using Namco classic attacks and cameos like the galaxian, how he pretty much tied up the original 4, and how fun looking he was, I loved it.

I did play pac-man as a kid. I wouldn't say I always traditionally played pac-man. I'm mostly familiar with bootleg Pacguy, Pacman 2 the new adventures, and the gamecube one, Pacman world 2. I like Pac-man for a lot of reasons, one of those reasons being his colors. His reds and yellows are some of my favorite colors. I also really like fruit and when I saw how amazing Pac-man's fruit projectiles were, how unpredictable and creative you could be with them, that really sealed the deal. His expressions are also very charming to me.

As much as I like and plan on playing the other characters, especially Robin, Donkey Kong, and Bowser Jr, Pac-man is definitely going to be my main when I get the chance to play, and I'm going to be as creative as I can with him.

Awbawlisk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Obelisk856
3DS FC
1418-6702-5754
I blame his inability to lose his contagious smile at times (even when drowning), as well as his overall goofy nature. That's the kind of thing attracts me to most characters, and PAC really took the cake here! His overall unique moveset, playstyle options and hidden potential had then just sealed the deal for me to main him and very good with him.

The fact that I don't see many people throughout the Smash World who like to use Pac-Man just makes me strive to get good with him even more!

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
It also helps that Pac-Man has the best third party stages and (non-vocal) music. The fact that Pac-Land annoys the crap out of my friend is a bit of a bonus.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The reason I main Pac-Man is directly influenced by a long and gradual period of becoming more familiar with the character.

I'm what some may consider a hardcore speculator. I spent years framing up scenarios and formulas in order to deduce who and what would get into Smash 4. Unfortunately, Sakurai's curveball approach this time left me with much time wasted, but it was fun. Whenever I noticed a character who I thought would have a shot of getting into the game, I'd bounce ideas off of my friends and others to see what their opinions were, and hopefully develop some ideas further. Even though I'm a fan of older games (the only "current gen" game I plan to play much at all these next few years is Smash), I had never even considered Pac-Man as a candidate for playability in Smash until Bandai Namco was confirmed to be making the game. I don't think the ideas of Pac-Man and Smash ever crossed my mind at the same time before then, which is incredibly odd to look back on, given that Smash is such a huge part of my life, and that I was always aware of Pac-Man's importance in the video game hobby that I've always so enjoyed; I even owned a Pac-Man t-shirt at some point. I really can't explain it, but Pac-Man was just a really obvious pick that somehow always eluded me even as I was hard at work crafting speculation theories.

Even after Namco was announced to have gotten on board for Smash 4, I still didn't give Pac-Man much thought. I had finally been given the chance to consider the idea, but I mostly ignored the thought because I figured it was better to just ignore the possible ramifications of Namco's involvement; to explore their vast library of usable properties would simply lead to disappointment should they have not received a character in the end anyway; besides, I'm not much of a fan of Namco IPs past the arcade era. Indeed, Pac-Man was just a small blip on the radar for quite a while, but he was always on the back of my mind, and as time passed, he began to inch gradually closer to the forefront. At first, when considering third-party characters, I thought of Pac-Man as something that would be nice to have; I certainly wouldn't be opposed to him, but I didn't label him as a necessity as I did with Sonic and Mega Man. Whenever I brought up Pac-Man as a possibility with my friends, the reception would usually be lukewarm or mild, and they would usually share my sentiments: It would be cool, but nothing to get excited over.

I don't know how, but it eventually dawned on me that such a reaction was unorthodox. Pac-Man was a legend: one of the biggest mascots in video game history. I was never too fond of the character, my only substantial experiences with the series being with the arcade original and long-weathered memories of playing Pac-Man World on the PlayStation as a youngster, but I of course knew how legendary he was in the gaming industry. I began searching out other Smashers' thoughts on Pac-Man on the internet, and this type of apathy was quite common, in addition to a massive amount of heated truculence that I did not think would have existed. As I came to realize how odd it was that so few people wanted such an icon in Smash, my passing interest evolved over time into a more positive intrigue in his inclusion. By autumn or winter of 2012, I was a passionate supporter in all but self-recognition. I desired Pac-Man. I truly wanted him in Smash. My change of heart can be partially attributed to my personal interest in all things Christmas and animation leading me to rewatch the Christmas special of Hanna-Barbera's Pac-Man cartoon, which I ended up writing a review of. This special was another foggy memory of mine, and was something of a guilty pleasure that I enjoyed watching with my father when I was much younger. It's no coincidence that the viewing of this Christmas special coincided with the time when I became a supporter; my renewed interest in Pac-Man helped lead me to review the special, and that in turn further fanned the flames of support. Surely, I must have reflected at the time, if Pac-Man was so culturally significant as to have a Christmas special produced for him, then there must be some value to be had in dusting off the character for use in a mascot fighter of Smash's scale. I began researching Pac-Man much more thereafter, and I began to fall in love with the IP and its history. In an industry as vicious as with video games, any character that could have such a lasting and felt impact after over 30 years would earn my respect quite easily. As a history buff, I'm inclined to appreciate anything that can leave such a mark on society that its influence is still seen and recognized years later.

In the span of about a year, I went from barely acknowledging Pac-Man's existence in regard to Smash, to him becoming one of my favorite video game characters of all time (shout-outs to the Pac-Man fan community here on Smashboards for playing a part in this development). He quickly shot up through the list of characters I most wanted to see in Smash, surpassing just about everyone, even my next most wanted: King K. Rool. Pac-Man went from something I would have liked to see, to something I needed to see to be content with the game. Since I'm already satisfied, gameplay-wise, with other games in the series, I can say right now that there's a chance I wouldn't have even bought the game without him (the only other newcomers I like are Villager, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, and Mega Man, and I only wanted two of those). To have Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man all together in the same game, and not go that one small but profound step in adding Pac-Man would have been one of the most disappointing moments in gaming history to me, no doubt. With Pac-Man's eventual inclusion, Smash Bros went in one step from being a celebration of Nintendo's history to a celebration of gaming history in general, a title that cannot be deserved by any work excluding Pac-Man. And despite what many people have said, Pac-Man is also significant in Nintendo's history specifically, something I learned through months of dedicated research and which I explained in the OP to the character's support thread. I expected him to fit right in with Nintendo's roster, and he did. The iconography used in his presentation in Smash, such as the 8-bit fruit and ghosts, are so ingrained into video game culture that they don't look out of place next to other iconic retro gaming material, like Mario, Mega Man, Link, etc. As a video game player, I was already used to seeing Pac-Man ghosts juxtaposed with Mario coins and E-tanks anyway, so when he was finally shown off at E3, it felt like the last element of that gaming milieu had finally joined the collage that was already near completion.

By the time of Pac-Man's announcement, he was already established firmly as one of my favorite video game characters and the newcomer I most wanted to see, so he was a natural main for me. When I finally got the game, I loved everything about him. I have an affinity for characters that seem to enjoy the competition they're in (one of the reasons I love using Toro in PSASBR, as an example), and Pac-Man is just a constant transmitter of happiness, with his wide grin, sunny yellow coloration, and nonchalant use of everything memorable in his historical toolshed for his moveset. While I normally enjoy playstyles closer to the fast and powerful rushdown variety, such as Melee Falcon, I also like characters with strong defensive options and good stage control, which Pac-Man has in spades. I must admit that I wish that Pac-Man had more of a speedy, movement-based playstyle, but for what it's worth, he still ended up with one of the most interesting playstyles out of all of the newcomers, in my opinion. Pac-Man's moveset is simple, yet wide-ranging and variable; it encapsulates the type of playstyle I like more than any other. That's why I main Pac-Man. He has so much personality, and such a commanding presence in the roster, that if he ever gets cut from future titles, I'll truly feel like we'd be losing a lot more than just my main. I think a lot of Snake mains felt this way in regard to Smash 4.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I have always loved the character ever since I was a 6 year old.
I always had a very active imagination, and absolutely LOVE science, concepts, and abstract theories...but I often felt disconnected with the material world. I suck with details, I forget routine things, and I get unfocused with the things right im front of me. Keep in mind, this was even more severe when I was 6, when I got my first video game, Pac-Man world 2.
See, when I was little, I felt like I was a superhero. I was always very optimistic, and strongly felt that I could change the world for the better with my ideas and my passion of science(I still do lol). So when I popped that game into my Xbox, it was love at first sight. The happy-go-lucky, optimistic attitude of pacman captivated me. It felt like the game was made for me. The lighthearted, imaginative world was a way for me to escape the mundane details of reality, and go to an adorable, fun filled land with an amazing protagonist. Pac-Man quickly became my favorite video game character, as his entire personality appealed to mine. I felt as if Pac-Man was a part of me. Getting both Pac-Man collection and namco museum and Pacman collection on the gameboy only further enhanced my love for the character.
Now, many years later when a new smash bros was announced, my first thought for a newcomer was immediately Pac-Man. To have my favorite video game character in smash would be amazing, and It would feel as if a part of me was in smash bros.
However...the hate for pac-man was a bit hard for me to handle. I couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't want pacman. Even worse, is how every attack on Pac-Man felt like a personal attack on me because of how connected I feel to the character. But the Pacman forum/community always felt like family to me, and helped me get through the hate and constant attacks.
Then the day pacman was revealed...one of the best days of my life. I cried when I saw the trailer, and went absolutely crazy when he was revealed. I needed pacman in this game, and I knew that others in the pacman community did as well. It was true beauty.
His Moveset was pretty much a dream come true. I've always loved the quirky and creative characters (just look at my mains) , and Pacman completely fits my playstyle. He has tons of options, he promotes creative play, he's silly, and fun with loads of personality...I couldn't ask for more (except a better grab XD)
Pacman is a part of me, this is why I main him.

Last edited:

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I was initially kinda salty about Pac-Man being in the game. Heard about him through the conference live stream and wanted nothing to ever do with him. I was originally planning to main Little Mac and Duck Hunt. Then after watching people play the Japanese 3ds version and not seeing anyone play Pac-Man at all, a friend showed me a video where Abadango was playing Pac-Man against Nietonos Greninja and I kinda liked how he played. So I told myself that I'd look into trying out Pac-Man after I get the game.

Smash 3ds came out and I started playing Little Mac a lot and was getting bored with how easy it was to play as him and decided to play Pac-Man (I hadn't unlocked Duck Hunt at the time otherwise I would have played him some) and started to like Pac-Man more and more until he pretty much became the only character I ever played.

Now I've sort of developed a small pool of characters that I kind of know how to play (Such as Greninja, Bowser Jr. and ROB) with Duck Hunt as a second main, but Pac-Man will always waka-waka his way around my heart as my forever main in this game.

I'd have to agree with this. I haven't been able to play it since my original xbox broke a good six years ago. Fortunately I found a working one at a local thrift shop a few days ago, so I can finally play it again.

Huge

Smash Apprentice
Pac-Man's the kind of dude who smiles while drowning. How could I resist enthusiasm that strong?

Last edited:

BADz

Smash Rookie
NNID
BADz777
3DS FC
3668-9713-9424
Well, I was about 6 years old when I got my first videogame. My dad mailed it to me and it was a blue gameboy color. The game came with a game: a Pac-Man arcade collection. I was so happy to finally have a game of my own! I played it for hours and played it everywhere I went. While living with my cousins, I was able to play their PlayStation 2. I couldn't have been luckier because I was able to play Pac-Man World 2! I got to see my favorite videogame character again in 3-D and I couldn't have been anymore satisfied. The game was filled with a cool story line, colorful settings/characters, and challenging levels. I couldn't stop playing and sometimes i'd leave it on. When I was 10 and new to smash, the one character I wish was on there was Pac-Man. I would imagine what his moveset would be and everything. When Smash 4 came out I was ecstatic to see him in his 3D form as a playable character!!! I bought smash 4 for 3ds and he feels so natural to me and his moveset didn't disappoint. I vowed one day I would win a tournament with him so I practice religiously to see to it that it happens. :4pacman::4diddy::4duckhunt:

PacDaddy

Smash Rookie
There are some awesome stories in here, really cool stuff. My reason, I'm a hipster when it comes to video games. I always want to pick the underused characters and unorthodox characters, that's just always how I've been. Something about proving people wrong and changing misconceptions about certain characters really just appeals to me. So when I was finally able to pick up smash 4 this month for the wii-u, it didn't take long for me to gravitate to pac-man. And then I saw abadango vs nietono in the finals of Umebura 8 and it sealed it for me.

Plus, pac-man's just a blast to play. He forces opponents to play how he wants through is zoning and projectiles. Every pac-man you'll meet can have a different play style because he is so versatile and creative and I love that about his kit. His ****-eating grin the entire time I'm beating some "high-tier" character is the icing on the cake haha.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Safe to say one of the first 3D platformers I remember playing when I was younger was Pac-Man World 2. And instantly I fell in love with it and the yellow ball became my childhood hero for quite some time. I later got into the series a bit more and played a few other games like the arcade classics, World 3, Adventures in Time and even Pac-Man World 1. ((The GBA port. I DO own the PSX version now.)) Later though Mario would steal the spotlight and Pac-Man fell into kinda an obscurity for me. And then now... I just feel old Pac isn't getting a good treatment from Namco nowadays, What with him being turned into a Sonic clone with an annoying personality. It just made me think back to when he used to be amazing, when times were simpler. When I saw his SSB4 trailer I almost cried to see my childhood hero back in action once again, Sporting his old design and representing the classics.

....On the OTHER side, It's because his playstyle fits me just right. I used to main Mario but since Brawl... He's felt odd for me. Pac-Man feels like the new Melee Mario IMO, All around perfect.

Last edited:

Kyuuki-kun

Smash Rookie
Had a lot of history with Pac wayyy back then and always had a soft spot for the guy (played World 2 to the death) and after messing with him he just clicked and I knew he was a character I had to be playing.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I kind of dual main him.

When I first saw the trailers for the game, I wanted to play Rosalina (Puppet Character!) and Pacman since he seemed to be a setup character and at the time I was still seeing a surprising amount of success with Joker in Injustice. Hoping I could find similarly ******** stuff for this character, I was anxious to get my hands on him.

Fast Forward to the 3DS demo:

I loved my Brawl Main Mario, but for some reason I was drawn to Megaman's unique style. Even after the demo I couldn't drop him and started trying to play him with Rosa and Pacman. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to make Pacman work as well as the other two at first and pretty much stuck to Rosalina and occasionally Megaman.

Fast Forward to the WiiU version:

By now I had dropped Rosalina accepting that she was just not as much fun as I'd hoped and instead found Ganon. My Megaman/Ganon duo gave me success in the late 3DS and early WiiU tournaments.
I still mess with Pacman a lot on the side though and he was one of my favorite characters to take into the lab, but have never used him in tournament or even in serious matches.

Fast forward to this month:

I finally get my own WiiU version of the game and start playing teams more. Megaman is not a good team partner... at all (Although I am starting to change my mind a little). Crash Bomb setups are ruined and have just as much chance to disrupt combos as to extend them, saw blade stops everyone, pellets hurt your partner more than anything and aren't so useful for spacing.
I tried Ganon as well but large hitboxes and lots of power made it hard to play when my teammate was a Kirby player (Did you get knocked into my Uair? Die at 70%; sorry buddy!).

This forced me to reconsider Pacman, and it turns out Pacman is fantastic in teams, and even moreso with Kirby. We have found so many setups and team combos, and the shared fruit powers are quite good.

This forced me to really step up my Pacman training in the last month, and my love for the character has returned in full force. He is reminding me of a Smash version of Joker (Except you know, he doesn't seem to lose to every single character in the game, which is nice), which is exactly what I wanted, complete with unblockables and combo extending items. He is also an incredibly hype character, which is always a boon in my book.

Now I am ready to rock the ovens mitt "Get in the kitchen" Pacman right alongside my Megaman (Maybe even moreso once I get better with him). He has officially replaced Ganon as the secondary/dual main character.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't have a huge story to tell, or even that big of a connection with the franchise as some here, but I still enjoy Pac-Man.

The very first game I ever played was Pac-Man, I was very young and my dad introduced me to the game. Maybe it's that small connection to him, since my parents both dislike video games in general otherwise, but Pac-Man was the one game that my dad played (and Super Mario Bros. the one that my mom played, but that's another story entirely). I rarely see my dad, and my parents divorced a long time ago, so maybe there's just something about seeing Pac-Man and Mario together that gives me the vibe of a family in some weird, roundabout way. With Pac-Man introducing me to gaming, he definitely left an impact on my life.

Though I've parted from him over the years, there were other games that I remember playing during my childhood, Pac-Man 2, Namco Museum, Pac-Man World 2... which I do still have fond memories of. I've always held Pac-Man in high regards, as a gaming history enthusiast, and someone that enjoys retro styles in general, just the name Pac-Man means a lot to me. I never once doubted that Pac-Man would be in the new Smash once we learned that Namco was working on it, though I admit that I hadn't thought of him joining the fray beforehand. While I had a few different ideas for how he could be, I'm absolutely happy with how he turned out, he's one of the most fun characters to play as of any Smash game (probably only trumped by Snake, for me).

As a character, as simple as he is, I do enjoy Pac-Man's portrayal as a family man in most iterations. It's something comparable to Olimar, and in stark contrast to many game protagonists nowadays, he's not some young kid just starting out on some adventure that a kid really shouldn't be going on (not that it's a bad thing, mind, I do main Ness after all), he's just a guy with a wife and kids. Something about those sorts of characters really stick with me more, it could be the family vibe again, I don't really know.

I'd guess the simple answer as to why I main Pac-Man would just be that he's Pac-Man. :4pacman:

MightyJake

Smash Rookie
I just really like old-school arcade games, even though I never grew up with them. It's just something about them. So when I saw his announcement trailer I knew I was gonna play as him allot.

Konobi

Smash Rookie
Something about his style just clicked for me. I used to main Ganondorf and slow/heavy hitting characters was my thing. Now I can't stop playing the Pac!

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Pac-Man can I just say that I LOVE Pac-Man! I main Pac-Man as a secondary and he's my second most used character in the game right now right after Duck Hunt, same with being my second most favorite smasher. Now the reason why I love Pac-Man so much is for starters I love his move sets, they are just both wacky and fun. And very annoying....to the opponent that is. Another reason why I love Pac-Man is because I just loved Pac-Man ever since I was a kid. I played the original Pac-Man arcade game and most importantly the game that made me fell in love was Pac-Man World 2. I just love that game sooooo much, I've played it multiple times and it was one of my most favorite gamecube games of all time, right after Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door. I just loved Pac-Man design as well, he just looked soooo awesome. Also when I was a kid I used to make Pac-Man comics just for fun. I'm just really glad Pac-Man is in Smash 4 and I'm glad they used his World Design and not his ghostly adventures design(I really don't like that new design of his). Also seeing Abadango play with Pac-Man just made me want to play with him more.
Pac-Man FTW!

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I LOVE Pac-Man. He has always been one of my favorite characters in gaming, hands down. His nice design, fun games, etc., all that. Growing up with Pac-Man World helped. Pac-Man World 2 is the best game ever holy ****

I wanted to get into competitive Smash around the time Smash 4 was coming around, so..I said I'd make Smash 4 my first competitive Smash title. I had no idea who I'd main, but if nobody interested me I'd probably go and play Kirby yet again. But I tried to find a main, someone who I'd like, I really did. Nobody appealed to me out of the possible roster so far.

And then Pac-Man showed up. Mentioned before, Pac-Man's always been one of my favorite characters in gaming. The more and more I watched of his trailer, I loved his playstyle. Every day I waited for Smash 3DS it was me waiting to play Pac-Man. I even watched japanese players play him so I could get a feel for what I need to do with him.

I pick him up on the 3DS and he fit like a ****ing glove. I had never felt so RIGHT playing a character. Aggressive and also defensive - now that's the **** I wanna see. Pac-Man's been my main since day 1 and I've never looked back on him. Even now I love to watch the trailer for Pac-Man in Smash just so I can get jitters all over again and thank the lord Bonus Fruit was faster, holy **** it was so slow in the Pac trailer. Of course, I still play Kirby, so now I main the two best spheres in Smash.

Last edited:

Ribskhie

Smash Rookie
I started playing Pac-Man along with my other main Luigi simply because, well, it's Pac-Man in Smash. Who wouldn't love that?

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
For some reason, I have a soft spot for Pac-Man. There's just something about him that puts me in a good mood. Maybe its his simplistic design, or maybe its his laid back personality in some of the games. I don't know. But what I do know is, is that Pac-Man is in Smash. And that's pretty awesome. I remembered when they revealed him in his trailer and that blew my mind. Oh my god, it's like a dream come true! Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, AND Pac-Man all in the same game! Look at Pac-Man! He can summon the ghosts in his games, he can eat Power Pellets, he can use the fruit he eats to throw at foes, he can turn into his pizza shaped form, and there are so many references to other Namco games! TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY, NINTENDO!
When I first played Pac-Man, I was a little "meh". Poor grab, weak moves except for his Smashes, and a little slow and floaty. But after reading a guide for Pac-Man, I saw his true potential. Cycling through his Bonus Fruit and throwing Apples, Bells and Keys, as well as throwing f***ing Fire Hydrants at my foes was just...so much fun. His recovery is also very good and his up special is great for applying pressure. Speaking of his moveset, I love how much personality it has. Unlike some fighters who look at Smash as a war or a competitive sport, Pac-Man is treating it like it's a party kind of like Wario or Villager. Y'know, after playing Pac-Man in Smash, I really need to try out more of his games...here's hoping for Pac-Man in Smash 5 (y'know, if there is...).

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
My older brother bopped me with pacman.
Every time he landed a dash attack, dthrow, or nair, he would shout "WAKA! WAKKA WAKA! WAKA!"
Now I'm a pac 2ndary.

Avriel Mimiga

Smash Rookie
ok, so, i was playing against my friends in ultimate, getting my stocks served to me, so i was like "I'm going random", did that and got pac man, i was like "oh boy, a character im bad at", so i played, and i was winning, and i was like "wait woah woah, that feels pretty good" then i played more, and more with pac man, still can't beat my Hero Maining friend tho

Top Bottom