• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you Choice Doc over Mario?

PK_Lunar_π_03

Smash Cadet
I choose doc over Mario because I hate the fludd and I prefer the doc torando, I always thought Doc looked cooler and he's a unplayed character .

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
There are multiple threads similar to this one in our boards.
I think the doc community would greatly appreciate it if you would refrain from creating another "why did you choose doc" thread and instead try to create a more productive thread with use to it. Not to be a jerk or anything mean, we just need more working parts in our community.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Baby_Sneak. And besides... who said anyone chose Dr. Mario "over" Mario? I didn't give Mario a second glance when I decided to main Dr. Mario.

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
Mario is just easy and too stupid sometimes, I find him boring to play and I hate playing against him.

It just depends on your playstyle, Doc is perfect for deffensive play.
And yeah, when Doc got leaked I wanted him to be my main and I think I haven't played more than an hour with Mario.

Last edited:

APlainOldBanana

Smash Cadet
Character loyalty plus everyone of my friends said Doc was terrible until I started playing him.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Because he has a slower aerial mobility and more combos than Mario will ever have.
And yes, I did just say Doc has more combos than Mario.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm probably wrong on this but I feel like Dr. Mario has better short hops than Mario. I love using both of them, but when I short hop with Mario it feels like I go higher (which is really annoying against smaller characters).

Aside from this I prefer Doc slightly more because he's slightly stronger and he was my main in Melee.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Please stop creating threads for the same question.

I'm probably wrong on this but I feel like Dr. Mario has better short hops than Mario. I love using both of them, but when I short hop with Mario it feels like I go higher (which is really annoying against smaller characters).

Aside from this I prefer Doc slightly more because he's slightly stronger and he was my main in Melee.
Not wrong. Doc's short hop is very low to the ground, meaning he can hit smaller characters more easily.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
He's extremely satisfying, simplistic, has decent combo game, can jump and whiff his cape quick, and is extremely underrated. I love using obscure and underrated characters.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I've done it my duty to use nothing but low tier and underused characters.

My main is Wario, followed by Duck Hunt, Olimar, Ganon, Bowser.

I've started using Doc the last few days and I love it I'm still learning but I love his power overall. I also want to learn how to use DK properly as well.

I've been tempted to learn the Sheik, Fox, Mario, ZSuit characters because it seems like they're easier to use and win with, but it's just not for me. I love beating Mario's with my Wario. It really is the ultimate diss.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058

Yes, I agree. I wanted to main Mario when I first got the game, but now I see every 2nd person playing as him, I've been put off. At the same time, I struggle to get a kill as regular Mario, owing to my reliance on air attacks. Doctor Mario's power and short-hop ability, plus the extra mixups in the Tornado and non-meteor F-Air help me a lot more. I also already play as a defensive character by the name of Robin, so despite the rep, I would choose the good doctor over the regular plumber.

Also, as WarioWaft says, someone has to main the low-tiers. Look at Sol maining Little Mac, and really taking the character to new places. We can do the same if we try, especially in the most balanced Smash game to date, if you don't count Project M to an extent..! I don't main Doctor Mario myself, but after watching some spectacular toruney play of him (e.g. TKBreezy) I may just try him out as a secondary.

Last edited:

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
It started with Mario having stupid FLUDD and me hating it, but later I started to really enjoy the combo game Doc has, as well as all of the many things you can do with DocTornado.

I also main Mario now, but that's mostly because of character loyalty, to have a top tier/high tier on my arsenal and because I like the set ups his Tornado have.

Last edited:

Mooro...

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-2879-3341
All his kill moves feel satisfying as hell to hit, he's easy to learn and commit to, and he provides a solid beginner's course in baiting and punishing your opponent. I was a Mario main before I was a Doc player, but I just didn't like how I had to commit to so much for one kill when Doc could do it with one well-placed fair, f-smash, or bair after 5 hits. Plus, I see potential in Doc. He's an very slept-on character, but sadly, Mario appeals more to people in the meta.

Shabadoo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0061-2639-5568
Well, besides the combos that don't make me feel like I'm a bad person and the medical puns, I think it's a little quote from the announcer that always tells me why I chose him.

Ahem.

"D-D-D-DOC-DOCTOR-DOC-DOCT-MARI-ARI-D-D-D-DOCTOR MARIO-ARIO-ARIO!" My friends don't like it, though.

TheDrWasMe

Smash Rookie
NNID
LugiaboyExtra
There are quite a lot of reasons as to why I pick Dr. Mario over Mario, probably the biggest is I wanted to be different from most of the people who choose Mario for skill and talk the powerhouse that is Doc. He's much more fun, to be honest. Sure, he doesn't have the kill setups like Mario does, though he's overall a lot more fun to play as and watch.

Other then that, the design is always more appealing to me. I'm not saying Regular Mario is boring, but something about his doctor's outfit just seems more "sleek" and "cool."

He's also from a pretty fun puzzle game, if that really does anything for ya.

Overall, much less played character, underrated by the Smash Community, and an overall joy to play with.

godogod

Smash Ace
One of my mains in melee. Not sure why I chose him over mario exactly back then. Less range than mario, but I love the electric attacks and extra power.

I'm a bit dissapointed that he's much slower, and he's recovery is worse now in this game. I don't think any of the buffs he got in this game warranted those nerfs. If he got the Mewtwo treatment from patch 1.1.3, I'd be really happy. Really hope he gets a faster dash speed and some recovery patched in(cape adding upward momentum like mewtwo, and/or vertical height for super jump punch).

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Sheet having momentum would ruin SH Sheet in neutral and I want none of that. Outside of recovery the lack of stall makes it better than Mario's in basically every other way.

I pick Doc because he's more fun, feels more rewarding and, well, I still have a Mario and all that but...yeah. Doc's just a bit more interesting to play, p. much.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
One of my mains in melee. Not sure why I chose him over mario exactly back then. Less range than mario, but I love the electric attacks and extra power.

I'm a bit dissapointed that he's much slower, and he's recovery is worse now in this game. I don't think any of the buffs he got in this game warranted those nerfs. If he got the Mewtwo treatment from patch 1.1.3, I'd be really happy. Really hope he gets a faster dash speed and some recovery patched in(cape adding upward momentum like mewtwo, and/or vertical height for super jump punch).

Why do people keep saying this?? Having slightly less range on one, situational move != less range.

Up-B Distance is worse, but his Down-B is much better for recovery in this game than in Melee. You can get to max height with less mashing and you can move left and right. And his cape snaps to the ledge. Not really sure how that equates to a worse recovery.

He doesn't need a weight increase, but I wouldn't mind any of the following:
Better airspeed or acceleration
Better dash speed. Walk speed is fine. In general, run speeds should be adjusted a bit.
Up-B Distance to be increased

Less laggy projectile (not that important relative to other changes)
Higher second jump

He doesn't need a lot because he's pretty solid in my opinion. Down-Throw combos, OOS options, Down-B, and frame data make him pretty decent.

Top Bottom