• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Decidueye will NOT be a playable fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
There are 3 reasons why people want Decidueye to make it in; 1) he completes the starter type trio, 2) he would make for a good fighter and 3) he’s popular, and I’m here to debunk all three.

1) So? That means literally nothing to Sakurai and if it does, he has never said so. Plus, Ivysaur kind of already does this.

2) This doesn’t matter at all. Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt got in for their popularity and what they represent, not for their fighting abilities. Pac-Man is the same only he had moveset potential that went unused. R.O.B. is literally a toy and Mr. Game and Watch is not even a real character. Decidueye doesn’t represent anything except an archer, but so does Link, Tink and Y. Link. As for popularity...

3) Decidueye is in fact popular....in America. He is, however, not very popular in Japan (he’s the least popular of the 3 fully evolved starters.

Conclusion - I don’t dislike Decidueye, heck he’s one of my favorite Gen 7 pokemon. But I don’t see him getting in, especially in favor of other actually popular gen 7 pokemon (Lycanroc and Mimikyu specifically). If you want Decidueye in a Nintendo fighting game, go play Pokken.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
For the sake of strengthening your argument could you provide a source for your statement in number 3?

I really don't care either way. I didn't even know he was a starter until reading this post.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not really sure we have a concrete way of telling how popular it is in the West.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Oh boy

I’ll just say that Lycanroc does seem to be the one that GameFreak was pushing way back when. No clue who Sakurai will choose if he decides to include a Gen 7 Pokemon.

I think there’s really only 5 likelihoods - Decidueye included

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only problem I see with Decidueye is the fact he hasn't had a major role in the anime. It doesn't look like Ash is going to get one because Rowlet is more popular

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
For the sake of strengthening your argument could you provide a source for your statement in number 3?

I really don't care either way. I didn't even know he was a starter until reading this post.
EDIT - Here’s my source for argument 3 https://mobile.twitter.com/pldhnet/status/966428590505058304?lang=en they showed the top 14 and honorable mentions (none of which contain Decidueye, although Rowlet, Primarina, Mimikyu, Lycanroc and Alolan Vulpix (surprisingly) take up the top 5.)

Oh boy

I’ll just say that Lycanroc does seem to be the one that GameFreak was pushing way back when. No clue who Sakurai will choose if he decides to include a Gen 7 Pokemon.

I think there’s really only 5 likelihoods - Decidueye included
I could see one of 4 things happening
1) Mimikyu
2) Lycanroc
3) A brand new gen 1 Rep to represent Pokémon Go and Pokémon Let’s Go (not likely)
4) No new rep at all

I can’t picture us getting a gen 8 mon when we know literally nothing about the game. Every character has been in a game in Japan by the time they are put in Smash

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You guys would know the popularity of Decidueye if you went to /vp/ more often.

They talk about how much Decidueye sucks all the time and how Japan doesn't like him

That ugly fire cat is popular in both the competitive scene and in Japan. And it's possible that's the pokemon Ash is going to get

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
You guys would know the popularity of Decidueye if you went to /vp/ more often.

They talk about how much Decidueye sucks all the time and how Japan doesn't like him

That ugly fire cat is popular in both the competitive scene and in Japan. And it's possible that's the pokemon Ash is going to get
Lol, come to think of it, Mimikyu and Lycanroc once again beat out Decidueye, as they both have prominent roles in the anime rn XD

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I could see one of 4 things happening
1) Mimikyu
2) Lycanroc
3) A brand new gen 1 Rep to represent Pokémon Go and Pokémon Let’s Go (not likely)
4) No new rep at all

I can’t picture us getting a gen 8 mon when we know literally nothing about the game. Every character has been in a game in Japan by the time they are put in Smash
Gen 1 rep? there's only one left that's actually possible (of what I can think of)

Eevee is toast spotted as a pokeball Pokémon in the demo

This is the only other iconic gen 1 available of what I have seen

We want a ghost rep, Poken offers some moves, kanto seems to be focused again based on upcoming games so far

And ofcoarse there's that conspiracy theory of wario and dedede scared of a character on the photo gengar could be piping out of nowhere scaring them (or mimikyu)

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
The only thing is, the base roster was decided before the release of Sun and Moon (almost a year before actually) So popularity does not really play into this debate.

Only who GameFreak and Sakurai thought would be a good fit.

Unless there was a very late addition to the roster. Or DLC (though for that Gen 8 seems more likely)

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
The only thing is, the base roster was decided before the release of Sun and Moon (almost a year before actually) So popularity does not really play into this debate.

Unless there was a very late addition to the roster. Or DLC (though for that Gen 8 seems more likely)
Wouldn't this still mean GameFreak would already be set on which mons they were going to push for?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Gen 1 rep? there's only one left that's actually possible (of what I can think of)

Eevee is toast spotted as a pokeball Pokémon in the demo

This is the only other iconic gen 1 available of what I have seen

We want a ghost rep, Poken offers some moves, kanto seems to be focused again based on upcoming games so far

And ofcoarse there's that conspiracy theory of wario and dedede scared of a character on the photo gengar could be piping out of nowhere scaring them (or mimikyu)
Yeah, that’s the gen 1 pokemon I was thinking too. I doubt it’ll happen, but it’s always a possibility

Lucario and Ike’s spots in Brawl were placeholders (meaning Sakurai knew he wanted a rep from that franchise, just not sure which one) and we can probably assume this was the case with Greninja. The same thing could have happened here

MysticKnives MysticKnives
Yeah, and I would say they were heavily promoting Rockruff and Mimikyu (especially Mimikyu)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We need another villain Pokemon

How about Guzma's Golisopod?

ZelDan

Smash Master
It's funny you bring up POkken, because that's probably a fourth reason people thoght Decidueye could make it into Smash.

Personally, I was kinda for him being in Smash Bros. He does have one of my favorite designs when it comes to modern pokemon and I did enjoy Sun and Moon. That said, he was never one of my absolute most wanted characters for Smash, and after Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers, my interest in Decidueye waned a bit. I'd still be down to see him, but eh, not as much as before.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
It's funny you bring up POkken, because that's probably a fourth reason people thoght Decidueye could make it into Smash.

Personally, I was kinda for him being in Smash Bros. He does have one of my favorite designs when it comes to modern pokemon and I did enjoy Sun and Moon. That said, he was never one of my absolute most wanted characters for Smash, and after Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers, my interest in Decidueye waned a bit. I'd still be down to see him, but eh, not as much as before.
I felt the same. He doesn't feel like a priority like certain other characters do

(cough) K Rool (cough)

But yeah, I originally liked the idea of Decidueye as a character but then I kept thinking about it more and more and it just hit me that he would basically be the grass version of Greninja

A cool fighter with a lot to work with, but hardly any character or personality to speak of

MattX20

Smash Hero
You do realize that Sakurai and the devs wouldn't consider Decidueye just for the arbitrary three starter types, right? They would focus on him because of his archery/zone type moves and his more ghostly abilities. The Links and Pits only use arrows for projectiles and aren't archery based, they're sword wielders. Decidueye however, focuses on archery which opens up a more creative moveset.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While I agree that I don’t think Decidueye will be in the game, is this discussion really meritory of its own thread? Seems like it should be taken to the Decidueye thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom