• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Can't You Use a Smash Attack After a Jab?

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
I don't understand how this happens, but whenever I try to follow up with a forward smash or down smash after a jab lock, another jab 1 will come out instead. It doesn't matter if I have smash stick or tilt stick on, this always happens. I've also tried just going for jab 1 instead of 1 and 2, but still to no avail. Is this a glitch or something? Without the ability to use a smash attack after a jab lock, the only thing I can seem to do is down tilt, which offers a very mediocre reward especially at high percents. Is there any way to get around this?

J.B.

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1342-4251-4349
It's not a glitch. It's an elephantine amount of cool down time before you can use a different move rather than continuing the jab. Unfortunately, the old jab cancel tricks got body-slammed in Ultimate so I don't know what to tell you besides work on the timing.

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
It's not a glitch. It's an elephantine amount of cool down time before you can use a different move rather than continuing the jab. Unfortunately, the old jab cancel tricks got body-slammed in Ultimate so I don't know what to tell you besides work on the timing.
It's not continuing the jab when I input a smash attack, it's initiating a new jab, which is why it seemed to be a glitch to me. It makes no sense as to why it happens.

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
Crouch before using a smash attack
Thank you, that actually works! It's a bit difficult to time a forward smash fast enough for it to be true since I have tilt stick on, but down smash shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
What move do u use to setup a jablock on Pit? I really want to learn
Unfortunately, none of Pit's moves can set up for jab locks at kill percents, but back air can set up starting at around 20% assuming neutral DI, and landing with the final hit of forward air will also work starting at around 36% (when the final hit connects, not from the start of the move). They'll usually be able to jump out of the back air setup as the percent window for it to initiate a true tech chase scenario is extremely small, but the forward air setup is actually true between 36-49% against Mario. Percent ranges rise and fall based on character weight and fall speed, so I just used Mario as a middle ground for testing.

AndrewtheAmericanDude

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, none of Pit's moves can set up for jab locks at kill percents, but back air can set up starting at around 20% assuming neutral DI, and landing with the final hit of forward air will also work starting at around 36% (when the final hit connects, not from the start of the move). They'll usually be able to jump out of the back air setup as the percent window for it to initiate a true tech chase scenario is extremely small, but the forward air setup is actually true between 36-49% against Mario. Percent ranges rise and fall based on character weight and fall speed, so I just used Mario as a middle ground for testing.
Thank you I appreciate it. Darn I need to figure out more ways to kill but any combo could be a strong asset. Maybe I need to use it to practice tech chases

Top Bottom