• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't we have an Assist Trophy Switch?

D

Deleted member

Back in the day, as many of you probably did, one of my favorite things to do in Smash Bros. was create themed battles: Pokemon on Pokemon Stadium using only Pokeballs, or Mario characters and items on a Mario stage, or Zelda, etc. This was possible due to the Item Switch.

With Assist Trophies, this idea could really be spruced up as there are several Assist Trophies from a single franchise nowadays, but it's either all or nothing. Plus...I'm sure I wouldn't mind turning off some of the Assist Trophies. If it's possible to only turn on Hammers and Bob-ombs for items, why can't I just have Andross spawning over and over again?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I would love this for AT and Pokeballs. I'd love to turn off those characters that reverse the controls, they are so irritating.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
To be honest I'm really surprised this hasn't been a thing at all yet. But maybe now that there's apparently also a stage hazard toggle, maybe they'll finally implement Pokéball and Assist Trophy toggles as well? Would definitely be nice.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I would love something like this. The ability to toggle certain assist trophies on or off can really help.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I wonder this myself. Back in Melee there was an event challenge where the only pokemon that would spawn were electrodes. I thought this would be a really cool option for both Pokeballs and AT. I don't really know why they haven't done this. My only option is that either,

A. To prevent people to spawn really rare pokemon like Mew
or
B. To force useless characters like Goldeen and Starfy to be used.

That's the only reason why I think they haven't done it. I personally think giving the option to select is far better and more fun.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This would be a great idea. Remember that bomb event in Melee where the Pokéballs were set to only give Electrode? I like making those kind of special events for myself.

We should definitely have this for the next game.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I wonder this myself. Back in Melee there was an event challenge where the only pokemon that would spawn were electrodes. I thought this would be a really cool option for both Pokeballs and AT. I don't really know why they haven't done this. My only option is that either,

A. To prevent people to spawn really rare pokemon like Mew
or
B. To force useless characters like Goldeen and Starfy to be used.

That's the only reason why I think they haven't done it. I personally think giving the option to select is far better and more fun.
C. People probably will probably still buy the game without this feature, and they don't really give a ****.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I hope they put that into Ultimate, even if only doing the assists. With that, I could turn off so many stupid and useless assists.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
A switch would be cool, but it would kinda undermine some of the the surprise element of Assist Trophies and Pokeballs if everyone would just want to turn off all the useless and annoying ones. The desperate screams of "Goddamnit, it's Goldeen" and "Get that f****** dog off the screen" give me life.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
A switch would be cool, but it would kinda undermine some of the the surprise element of Assist Trophies and Pokeballs if everyone would just want to turn off all the useless and annoying ones. The desperate screams of "Goddamnit, it's Goldeen" and "Get that f****** dog off the screen" give me life.
Then don't turn them off.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Are you complaining that your friends won't let you troll them?
I'm saying that in a bigger group of players it can be hard to find a ruleset that everyone's more or less fine with. While a switch would be really cool for themed matches and such, it could also bring things to a halt when someone starts an argument over what assists and pokemon should be turned off. This already happens with item switch, so the idea of adding even more minutia on top of that isn't completely appealing when you're someone who likes things to proceed quickly.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I would love to summon Lyn as many times as possible...even duplicates

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I would love this for AT and Pokeballs. I'd love to turn off those characters that reverse the controls, they are so irritating.
Yes, we need a character toggle for Pokemon and assist trophies. I've been wanting this since Melee.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Just play with items off and you'll never get useless assists :troll:

D

Deleted member

I have this feeling like very few people are actually playing the game the way Mr. Sakurai wants them to :p

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
That would be great. I wouldn't have to mod Smash games to alter spawn rates and effectively turn off some assists anymore.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
That's actually a great idea. One thing my friends used to do in Smash 4 was Marvel vs. Capcom style matches. No items except Assist Tophies/Pokeballs and Smash Ball, which sub in for teammates and Hyper combos respectively. Being able to toggle which assist trophies and Pokemon come into play will certainly allow for a more balanced and accurate re-creation of Mahvel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom