• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't I succeed In For Glory

NeglectedX

Smash Rookie
So, I've been playing smash 4 for 3 or 4 years and recently I've been playing a lot and I've actually started getting pretty good. I've learned almost all the tech skill I need to play my character and I consistently pull it off, in cpu battles or just casual friendlies with a few of my friends. I've almost never one a match on for glory and I can't Gimp, or edge guard at all (only when I'm playing online) and I don't understand why. 90% of the time I outplay my opponent but can't seem to land any ledge guards or disrespect in any way. I'd love to play online but I honestly just want to give up.

Acrete

Smash Cadet
I’ve got an 80% win ratio with just over 10k online matches. My mains are bowser, Ganon and Zard. If I can do it you can too.

First thing you gotta do is stop trying so hard. The more you overthink what you’re doing the worse you play.

Biggest tip is spiking your opponent. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve beaten a technically superior opponent due to perfect spiking prediction. There’s only so many ways for someone to recover. My Zard lands the spike at least half the time. I’m trying every time they fall over the edge. Legit, good spike game will win you more games than anything.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Maybe check up on how online players play the game on YouTube. Tournament play and online play are quite different for a number of reasons, and what works in lag-free tournaments don't always translate well to online where lag may or may not get in the way.

Smart practice is essential, too. Pay attention to what you are doing wrong, and focus on improving that. One thing at a time. If you notice you are doing five different mistakes consistently, don't try to tackle them all at once. Patience and hard work is key to learning any kind of practical skill, and playing a competitive game is no different.

Cheers.

Arrei

Smash Lord
If your issue is with offstage play specifically, that may just be for the simple reason that, against a wary opponent, gimping and edgeguarding is often not so easy. Even characters with bad recoveries can recover a lot better than in previous games, and unless they've been sent into one of the awkward lower zones where there's only one path of recovery they can take, they have a lot of ways they can use their air jump and recovery moves to bob and weave unpredictably. A lot of the time players will choose to stay on the stage and pressure the ledge from there because going offstage has a good chance of failing to net the kill, while also giving up stage control to their opponent.

Top Bottom