• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't I copy my Mario Kart Wii save file onto my SD card?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I just got my sister Mario Kart Wii for her birthday, and I want to copy my save data onto an SD card and put it on her Wii so she can have all of the characters and tracks unlocked. But everytime I try to copy the save data onto my SD card it says "Data cannot be copied." Does anyone know why?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Do you know what the reason is? I can't copy Brawl either, but I can copy Galaxy with no problem. Why does it let you copy some games but not others? It makes no sense.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's just how Ninty made it I suppose, they don't want you to exploit it in some way...I can't think of how you would do that though...except getting stuff like characters etc. easier like you said. So it's not anything wrong with your Wii if that's what you're asking.

I think I've heard you can do it by hacking but...it's not really that big of a deal to get the unlockables over again. That's where the fun is. =D

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
That's really stupid. What if I wanted to bring the game over to my friends house to play? I'd have to bring my whole Wii just because Nintendo is ********.

And the games they choose to not let you copy to an SD card make no sense. I can copy my Mario Galaxy save file onto an SD card and give it to someone else, which basically defeats the entire purpose of playing the game because the idea of it is to play through it yourself. But if I want to do the same thing with games like Brawl and Mario Kart, where all people really want to do is play multi player, I can't just put all of the unlockables on someone else's Wii. That is total BS.

That must get annoying at Brawl tournaments, since every Wii has to have all the characters and stages unlocked. At least with Melee you could copy the same save file onto as many memory cards as you needed to.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yeah, it's dumb. However, since there is so much things that the Wii has, (VC, channels, games) Ninty needed a storage option, which I hear has been announced to be SD cards. So, there is probably going to be a Wii update letting you save stuff to your SD card soon. I can't think of where I saw that though...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Yeah, it's dumb. However, since there is so much things that the Wii has, (VC, channels, games) Ninty needed a storage option, which I hear has been announced to be SD cards. So, there is probably going to be a Wii update letting you save stuff to your SD card soon. I can't think of where I saw that though...
I'm pretty sure that all that is is an option to let you download VC/WW games directly onto your SD card instead of your Wii. I don't think that it has anything to do with saving save files for Wii games on your SD card.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario Kart Wii uses Miis and has a Wi-Fi feature, which is one reason why the data can't be copied. The reason for this is most likely so that people aren't tempted to give other people their game data. Brawl and Pokemon Battle Revolution have that similar situation.

Oddly enough, you can copy data from Mario Strikers Charged onto an SD card, despite the fact that it has Wi-Fi capabilities.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
You can copy you save file of Brawl onto your SD Card, but you will have to install the Homebrew Channel and hack your Wii.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That's really stupid. What if I wanted to bring the game over to my friends house to play? I'd have to bring my whole Wii just because Nintendo is ********.

And the games they choose to not let you copy to an SD card make no sense. I can copy my Mario Galaxy save file onto an SD card and give it to someone else, which basically defeats the entire purpose of playing the game because the idea of it is to play through it yourself. But if I want to do the same thing with games like Brawl and Mario Kart, where all people really want to do is play multi player, I can't just put all of the unlockables on someone else's Wii. That is total BS.
My feelings EXACTLY on the matter.

Mario Kart Wii uses Miis and has a Wi-Fi feature, which is one reason why the data can't be copied. The reason for this is most likely so that people aren't tempted to give other people their game data. Brawl and Pokemon Battle Revolution have that similar situation.

Oddly enough, you can copy data from Mario Strikers Charged onto an SD card, despite the fact that it has Wi-Fi capabilities.
Why the hell does Nintendo give a **** if you take the short path to get all of the characters, stages, courses, whatever? I can see them caring if you're CHEATING, but hell, you can get a friend who's better at video games than you to come over and do all of that for you and still do the SAME THING. One of my friends asks me to unlock/beat things for him at times.
Seriously. Nintendo's behavior is really starting to be too overbearing. They need to stop dictating how we play video games.

Here are my three biggest gripes with this though;

1) Replaying games. In the Gamecube era, I did tons of this; creating a new game file on a different memory card so I could replay the game without losing my data. But now, with the Wii, you can only have ONE set of data for a lot of games, because you can't put things on the SD Card and you can't have more than one set of data for a game on the Wii's "hard drive". So if I wanted to start my Brawl file over and unlock everything again just for fun like I used to do with Melee, I can't unless I want to lose everything I have right now, or spend $250 on a new Wii.
I'm not happy enough with my current one to buy another one.

2) Ease of transport. With the Gamecube, it was incredibly easy to play with friends. Just bring a small piece of plastic which you can stick inside one of your game cases, and voila! Now, you need your ENTIRE CONSOLE to do so. For a console that's so about bringing people together that the voice chat is meant for a room full of people, is that not entirely stupid?

3) Animal Crossing. Yes, Animal Crossing is its own reason. I have at least 10 memory cards for Gamecube, all but three of them serve the sole purpose of holding an Animal Crossing town. Now with City Folk, I can't have more than one town. It wouldn't exactly matter anyways, not in the same aspect anyways, since you can't travel between towns not on Wi-Fi...although actually, the DS Suitcase feature might've worked with that. I haven't used it yet. In any case, there's so much to do in Animal Crossing that it's great to be able to have towns in different seasons, different houses to decorate different things, etc. And going back to replayability, it adds a lot more if you can go back and pay off your debt again, build up Tom Nook's shop, etc. Because let's face it; while Animal Crossing is fun, once you're done with all of your debt and everything, there isn't a WHOLE lot more to do. You can never technically "beat" the game, but if you get a huge HRA score with a house design that you love, finish off your debt, get all of the golden items, and so on, you're not going to be able to do much more. Plus, a new town also gives you different geography.

Nintendo, you better fix this when you give your storage solution, or I'm going to be MAJORLY pissed.
[/rant]

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Though with the "Storage Solution" We can expect them to remove this lock.
We can HOPE.

There is no indication thus far that they'll let you copy any data to the SD Card, just that you can download things (i.e. channels, WiiWare/VC games) to it.

pamadi45

Smash Rookie
there is probably going to be a Wii update letting you save stuff to your SD card soon
advert deleted

catherine6712

Smash Rookie
hi there all

could you help me please im new here and not sure on things.
could you tell me how to copy wii games then onto what discs and what programs to use? so we can play them on the wii?????

thanks smokeyxxx

carely04

Smash Rookie
Play copied games without mod chip

Hey guys
i am new to this forum! i recently bought wii console and I wanted to knw if its possible to burn wii games and play them on your wii without having a mod chip. I am downloading Mario Kart right now, apparently i heard somewhere that you burn the game at a very slow rate (4x) and it will work (something like that)! is this true?

if not is there another posibility?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Wait, you can't save game files to SD cards? I've yet to buy one, but this is sad. I assumed you could. . . you know, I thought that was the purpose of the SD card slot. If you can't store games, wii crap, etc., what is the point in an SD card slot? Please don't say the photo channel. ~sigh~, if only hacking wii didn't sometimes result in the loss of one =/.

Top Bottom